Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TNKmom so sorry for your loss. Sometimes sadness makes the beautiful happy moments more real and precious. Prayers and healing wishes for your husband and family.

Does anyone know the inch size of the cakes included with the CRT "Princess Package"? And, if there is filling in the cakes?

Does anyone know the inch size of the cakes included with the CRT "Princess Package"? And, if there is filling in the cakes?
On the Disney food blog site it says they are 6" cakes. Not sure about filling.

TNK mom so sad for your family's loss. Life can be so difficult but I am glad you had an experience that helped your husband and I am sure all of you.

I am calling to order my cake today!
Six inch buttercream, dark blue
Silver dragees as stars
Writing in white
Ball of fondant to hold the millennium falcon keychain I am bringing from home
Chocolate with chic ganache filling
$38
Pretty reasonable!!!

Now my question is....how do I get the keychain on the cake without ruining the surprise while at Cali grill? Should I hope we don't sit with a view of the podium and pretend I am going to the bathroom to either give the keychain or tell them about it? Call the restaurant (if we can) and arrange ahead of time or at least tell them we have a surprise cake etc? Do I just stick it on after it comes? (Of course that's lame)
Any advice please share :) and thanks so much to everyone here for all the help and inspiration, big big thanks to lurkyloo!

I've ordered DS's cake to be delivered to CBR on our arrival day, but I was wondering -- which restaurants do the white chocolate crown dessert (like the glass slipper but for boys)?

Hi everyone!!

I've ordered a few custom cakes in the past, but always through the Contemporary. My family has an ADR at the Minnie holiday buffet at Hollywood and Vine in a few weeks, and I was thinking of requesting something through there. Most likely a 6" fondant covered minnie themed something for my niece's 1st birthday

Has anyone experienced ordering through here so I can know what to/not to ask for? I've worked with Hollywood Studios once before, but it was to have cupcakes delivered to the Sci-Fi theatre, but there was no customization involved.

Hi everyone! I wanted to share our cake experience from our trip a few weeks ago, and I absolutely hate to say, it was not good at all. I am not a complainer, and I am VERY easy going, but this trip had a few very disappointing points where we did "complain" (1st 2015 MNSSHP for example). I ordered a surprise anniversary cake to be delivered at California Grill on 9/16. I emailed the CR cake address about 1 week in advance with exactly what I was looking for. I got a response within 24 hours, but I had a follow-up question and did not hear back for a few days, so I had basically written it off and thought we weren't getting a cake. I'm sorry, but I am not going to chase someone down so I can give them my money! I am not someone who is going to follow-up multiple times if I don't get a response. They finally responded 4 days later and I was able to call and order the cake a few days in advance. I chose the exact same flavors they did for my groom's cake last year, which was AMAZING; orange cake with amaretto mouse crunch. Price provided was $75 for the requested 6-inch cake (originally was $90, but I asked them to scale down the roses on top). I was so super excited about the cake and getting to surprise my husband again with the same flavors as our last cake (I've been dreaming of having it again)!

Fast forward: After dinner, our server brings out the cake! It was okay looking, not as pretty as I was expecting, but whatever. As long as it tasted good it was a win in my book! One thing we both noticed right away was the incredibly strong, sharp smell of orange as soon as our server sat the cake down. We cut into it, and took a bite...oh my god..... it tasted like chewing on pure orange peel/rind! It was HORRIBLE! We both tried a couple more bites, but nothing changed. I cannot stress how bad it was. I cried I was so upset and embarrased. We put the cake back together and had the server bring the box. He noticed something was wrong but I did not say anything to him as I figured there was nothing he could do. The next morning, my husband brought the cake down to the RPC conceriege desk just to talk to them about what had happened. Dan in GF RPC immediately got on the phone with the CR and arranged a car to take the cake back to the CR, per their request, so they could "test it" to make sure it was prepared according to recipe. RPC ended up crediting us back the cost of the cake themselves, and the CR NEVER responded to me like he requested. To add insult to injury, the CR charged me $90 instead of the $75 :furious: :furious: :furious: I have no clue what happened. I'm not sure if they use real orange juice or orange extract to flavor the cake, but it was completely off and horrible. It was like someone either dumped an entire bottle of orange extract into the batter, or grated the entire peel and rind of multiple oranges into it. It was 100% inedible. I so wish I could assure you I am not exaggerating on this.

[GALLERY=]
IMG_4793_zpsbqpgj2ld.jpg
IMG_4791_zpscwclecoy.jpg
[/GALLERY]

So, 2 out of 3 cakes I have ordered at Disney have been flat out disappointments. I do not know if I will ever risk ordering another one, as much as I hate to say it (though I may for the hell of it in January at AKL). After our $150 wedding cake from the GF last year tasted like tin and went to waste, I was done not voicing my concerns and wasting money. The bakery should have noticed something was wrong, I am dumb-founded how they did not.
I'm sure my experiences are not the norm, but to date I have a 67% chance of getting a horrible cake. I'm sorry about being a downer, and I thought about not sharing this experience, but I think the good and the not-so-good should be heard :) I'm sure 99% of the people ordering cakes will end up with something great, but for some reason, I do not have any luck with it.

All Disney cakes have filling or at least frosting between the layers.

Now my question is....how do I get the keychain on the cake without ruining the surprise while at Cali grill? Should I hope we don't sit with a view of the podium and pretend I am going to the bathroom to either give the keychain or tell them about it? Call the restaurant (if we can) and arrange ahead of time or at least tell them we have a surprise cake etc? Do I just stick it on after it comes? (Of course that's lame)

The podium is not within sight of any table, but what I'd do is pretend to use the restroom and chase after the server out of site of the surprise-ee.

I've ordered DS's cake to be delivered to CBR on our arrival day, but I was wondering -- which restaurants do the white chocolate crown dessert (like the glass slipper but for boys)?

Any serviced by the Grand Floridian (so, Grand Floridian and Poly) or Contemporary (Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, Magic Kingdom) pastry teams.

Hi everyone!!

I've ordered a few custom cakes in the past, but always through the Contemporary. My family has an ADR at the Minnie holiday buffet at Hollywood and Vine in a few weeks, and I was thinking of requesting something through there. Most likely a 6" fondant covered minnie themed something for my niece's 1st birthday

Has anyone experienced ordering through here so I can know what to/not to ask for? I've worked with Hollywood Studios once before, but it was to have cupcakes delivered to the Sci-Fi theatre, but there was no customization involved.

I'd be very surprised if they can do fondant. Every time I've ever checked it's been supermarket-style buttercream cakes. You might try calling the number for the Brown Derby listed in Post #2 and see if they can help you out. The manager there once said he could make a fondant-covered cake happen for me, but I never had a chance to follow up...

Hi everyone! I wanted to share our cake experience from our trip a few weeks ago, and I absolutely hate to say, it was not good at all.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I know it doesn't help now, but it's usually best to complain on the spot if you want action taken. I hope you'll give cake ordering another shot, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to...

Hi everyone! I wanted to share our cake experience from our trip a few weeks ago, and I absolutely hate to say, it was not good at all. I am not a complainer, and I am VERY easy going, but this trip had a few very disappointing points where we did "complain" (1st 2015 MNSSHP for example). I ordered a surprise anniversary cake to be delivered at California Grill on 9/16. I emailed the CR cake address about 1 week in advance with exactly what I was looking for. I got a response within 24 hours, but I had a follow-up question and did not hear back for a few days, so I had basically written it off and thought we weren't getting a cake. I'm sorry, but I am not going to chase someone down so I can give them my money! I am not someone who is going to follow-up multiple times if I don't get a response. They finally responded 4 days later and I was able to call and order the cake a few days in advance. I chose the exact same flavors they did for my groom's cake last year, which was AMAZING; orange cake with amaretto mouse crunch. Price provided was $75 for the requested 6-inch cake (originally was $90, but I asked them to scale down the roses on top). I was so super excited about the cake and getting to surprise my husband again with the same flavors as our last cake (I've been dreaming of having it again)!

Fast forward: After dinner, our server brings out the cake! It was okay looking, not as pretty as I was expecting, but whatever. As long as it tasted good it was a win in my book! One thing we both noticed right away was the incredibly strong, sharp smell of orange as soon as our server sat the cake down. We cut into it, and took a bite...oh my god..... it tasted like chewing on pure orange peel/rind! It was HORRIBLE! We both tried a couple more bites, but nothing changed. I cannot stress how bad it was. I cried I was so upset and embarrased. We put the cake back together and had the server bring the box. He noticed something was wrong but I did not say anything to him as I figured there was nothing he could do. The next morning, my husband brought the cake down to the RPC conceriege desk just to talk to them about what had happened. Dan in GF RPC immediately got on the phone with the CR and arranged a car to take the cake back to the CR, per their request, so they could "test it" to make sure it was prepared according to recipe. RPC ended up crediting us back the cost of the cake themselves, and the CR NEVER responded to me like he requested. To add insult to injury, the CR charged me $90 instead of the $75 :furious: :furious: :furious: I have no clue what happened. I'm not sure if they use real orange juice or orange extract to flavor the cake, but it was completely off and horrible. It was like someone either dumped an entire bottle of orange extract into the batter, or grated the entire peel and rind of multiple oranges into it. It was 100% inedible. I so wish I could assure you I am not exaggerating on this.

[GALLERY=]
IMG_4793_zpsbqpgj2ld.jpg
IMG_4791_zpscwclecoy.jpg
[/GALLERY]

So, 2 out of 3 cakes I have ordered at Disney have been flat out disappointments. I do not know if I will ever risk ordering another one, as much as I hate to say it (though I may for the hell of it in January at AKL). After our $150 wedding cake from the GF last year tasted like tin and went to waste, I was done not voicing my concerns and wasting money. The bakery should have noticed something was wrong, I am dumb-founded how they did not.
I'm sure my experiences are not the norm, but to date I have a 67% chance of getting a horrible cake. I'm sorry about being a downer, and I thought about not sharing this experience, but I think the good and the not-so-good should be heard :) I'm sure 99% of the people ordering cakes will end up with something great, but for some reason, I do not have any luck with it.
It is a shame how it ended up for you. The crazy orange cake will still be a great memory that you will laugh about in time.

I called the POR number for cakes last Tuesday. I didn't mention when I needed the cake(was 59 days out). They haven't gotten back to me. Last year, it was the next day. Should I call again?

I'm checking in long after our August trip to report back regarding our cake order! This was our second cake order through the Contemporary bakery, and the results of both orders were wonderful!!! After e-mails back and forth, I placed the order on a Friday for a delivery to our room at WL on Monday. I was a bit worried about cutting it too close, but everything went smoothly. Here are the details:
  • Delivery to Wilderness Lodge
  • Mickey-themed mini cake with ears on top
  • Red fondant with yellow accents (initially they said they couldn't do the pants buttons, but when the cake arrived, they were there!)
  • Vanilla or yellow cake with plain frosting under the fondant
  • Message on plate: Welcome [and then I listed our kids' names]
  • $45 (it would have been $35 without fondant, for those who are interested)
I should add that I sent an inspiration photo. CR sent back another photo to illustrate what they could do more specifically. In the end, we used CR's photo as the basis for the cake, but specified the differences between the photo and our order. I mention this because I think part of the reason we've been so happy with our cakes is that the photo is really helpful in establishing common expectations. And our designs are super simple, so that might help too.

I knew from this thread that although $45 was the base price, they would add taxes, gratuities and delivery charges. So I wasn't surprised when the cake total was $59.22. Several things about the cake made the cost worthwhile. First, we did not stay CL this time and it was great to have a treat waiting for us in the room. Also, the cake is super rich, so the kids and I only ate small pieces at a time - it lasted three days and three nights. I usually buy welcome surprises for the room (lanyards in the old days, pins, t-shirts, ear hats, mickey string bags, etc.) But they have and use all those items now and since our oldest is 16, food gifts are quite welcome! So the cake was less expensive than my usual welcome surprise expenditure. Finally, I was SO happy to have the cake delivered to the room. It was fun for them to see when we returned from dinner on arrival night and I didn't have to carry leftovers back. I'll definitely do the same again next time!

The cake itself tasted great. It was even better than the 6" we ordered in January. I think it's for the reason Lurkyloo mentioned earlier - the cake to frosting ratio is quite good on the mini cake. I loved this cake and I'm not a huge cake fan generally - the fondant is really my favorite part. :) I also loved that the writing on the bottom was so well done. The writing on the plate for both of our cakes was very nice and neat.

We'll be back in February and I'm following along here for ideas for our next cake!

WP_20150810_017.jpg

Last edited:
Great! Thank you for posting a pic (I think Ariel is the one for us), and the cake is gorgeous! Did it have filling or just frosting?

Great! Thank you for posting a pic (I think Ariel is the one for us), and the cake is gorgeous! Did it have filling or just frosting?

It had a layer of buttercream. My DH and DD are pretty basic so it was vanilla w/vanilla buttercream. It looked beautiful and it was DELISH! We took it back to our hotel and kept in the fridge to eat as a bed time snack the remainder of the week.

I'm checking in long after our August trip to report back regarding our cake order! This was our second cake order through the Contemporary bakery, and the results of both orders were wonderful!!! After e-mails back and forth, I placed the order on a Friday for a delivery to our room at WL on Monday. I was a bit worried about cutting it too close, but everything went smoothly.

Thanks for sharing your experience in detail!

I called the POR number for cakes last Tuesday. I didn't mention when I needed the cake(was 59 days out). They haven't gotten back to me. Last year, it was the next day. Should I call again?

Sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter