Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're OK with the price, it might be fun to go for the wedding cake you never got. The Grand Floridian has made plenty of tiered Up-themed cakes in the last few years, so I think they've finally figured it out.

I love Disney cakes. And I love this thread. Thanks, Lurkyloo and others, for keeping it updated with prices and contact info, and of course, all of the wonderful photos. Our next trip is coming up in 6 months and I'm pretty sure I will be treating us to a cake. Seeing as I still dream about our delicious wedding cake from the Grand Floridian (almond cake with amaretto mousse), I will probably order it there. As delicious as our wedding cake tasted (LOVED it!!!!), the design process still stings, though. I'm not sure if the bakery is to blame for that or if it was my wedding planner, but I'm wondering if I should attempt a do-over. For my wedding, I requested an UP! themed cake. The design they proposed was a sheet cake with some balloons drawn on top and some dry ice to give the effect of clouds. I envisioned a tiered wedding cake, which I had told my planner from the very beginning. Well, we never did get past this design and somehow I ended up designing my own cake using some of the standard wedding cake designs I was able to locate online (that was long before I knew about Pinterest, Disney Facebook Wedding groups, etc.). I was happy with how it turned out, but I still dream about what might have been with that UP! cake... There's only going to be me, DH, and our two 3-year olds on this trip, so we don't need a full-sized wedding cake, but I'm curious what they might be able to come up with. Or maybe I'm just setting myself up for disappointment and should keep it simple and go with "Happy Anniversary!" Other suggestions are definitely welcome :)

Just for fun, here are a couple of pics from J and N's 1st birthday (made by a local bakery, not Disney).

View attachment 98356 View attachment 98357

Do you mind sharing the bakery you used? I'm staying at Bonnet Creek and the Disney Bakery (understandably) will not deliver there, and I would really like for the cake to be a surprise for my moms 70th b-day, so picking it up would ruin the surprise. I am having a hard time finding a local bakery that can deliver/that can do what I am looking for. (If you can't share on the board for some reason, would you mind PMing me?) Thank you!!!

Do you mind sharing the bakery you used? I'm staying at Bonnet Creek and the Disney Bakery (understandably) will not deliver there, and I would really like for the cake to be a surprise for my moms 70th b-day, so picking it up would ruin the surprise. I am having a hard time finding a local bakery that can deliver/that can do what I am looking for. (If you can't share on the board for some reason, would you mind PMing me?) Thank you!!!

I'm sorry if that part of my post was confusing.... the birthday cakes were from their party back home in Michigan. I just shared them because I thought they were cute and might be good inspiration cakes for someone looking for ideas. The base layers were for our guests and each fed 40 (we had tons of leftovers!). We peeled the black fondant off of the Mickey hats and the kids got those as their "smash cakes." I believe I paid $75 per cake.

And since I'm still in cake mode this morning, here is a pic of our wedding cake from 2010. This was from the Grand Floridian. The top and bottom tiers were almond cake with amaretto mousse. The middle tier was marble cake with alternating layers of dark chocolate mousse and buttercream. Price was $625++

Even though I was disappointed in not having an "original" cake design, I still ended up LOVING my cake. It looked "exactly" like the sketch I sent them, LOL. For a cake-topper, I used a figurine that some very, very dear friends and fellow Disney lovers gave me as a bridal shower present. These friends are older than my own parents and they mean the world to me. Just seeing the look of joy on their faces when they saw their gift on top of the cake was meaningful to me. So when all is said and done, I loved the cake. But some times, I still think about what that UP! cake might have looked like. Maybe for a vow renewal?

D&V Pic - Cake P.jpg Cake Sketch.jpg

Last edited:

I'm sorry if that part of my post was confusing.... the birthday cakes were from their party back home in Michigan. I just shared them because I thought they were cute and might be good inspiration cakes for someone looking for ideas. The base layers were for our guests and each fed 40 (we had tons of leftovers!). We peeled the black fondant off of the Mickey hats and the kids got those as their "smash cakes." I believe I paid $75 per cake.

Sorry, I was clearly not paying attention... They were beautiful tho!

I have read where ItsTastyToo has made Disney themed cake and delivered them to other at Disney so I am sure they would deliver them to Bonnet Creek. They are mentioned a few times within this thread. Wasn't sure if you had looked into them yet.

this cake ordering thing hasn't really been doing as great as I thought it would. I'm dealing with Chef Brian, and everytime I ask a questions or prices I get a really blunt email. Pretty much it seems like I'm just bothering him. My original quote was 85$ for an 8 inch buttercream cake with a white chocolate mickey on top, then it went up to 145$ because I asked about having 5 chocolate covered strawberries on it. then down to 106$ when I asked him to remove the strawberries since they weren't worth 60$, I'm not sure how my 85$ cake is now a 106$ cake when nothing's changed, but I feel like i'll just upset him even more if I ask a question about that!.... sigh, this is not how I pictured this experience.

this cake ordering thing hasn't really been doing as great as I thought it would. I'm dealing with Chef Brian, and everytime I ask a questions or prices I get a really blunt email. Pretty much it seems like I'm just bothering him. My original quote was 85$ for an 8 inch buttercream cake with a white chocolate mickey on top, then it went up to 145$ because I asked about having 5 chocolate covered strawberries on it. then down to 106$ when I asked him to remove the strawberries since they weren't worth 60$, I'm not sure how my 85$ cake is now a 106$ cake when nothing's changed, but I feel like i'll just upset him even more if I ask a question about that!.... sigh, this is not how I pictured this experience.

I think you may be reading too much into an email response. They no doubt deal with a lot of guests and are answering a lot of emails so they are direct and to the point. If you need to have a conversation about a cake that is more involved maybe try calling? As for the price I'd just ask. Mention that the original quote for xyz was $85 and now it's $106 and you just want to verify which was correct.

I think you may be reading too much into an email response. They no doubt deal with a lot of guests and are answering a lot of emails so they are direct and to the point. If you need to have a conversation about a cake that is more involved maybe try calling? As for the price I'd just ask. Mention that the original quote for xyz was $85 and now it's $106 and you just want to verify which was correct.

thanks! I know I tend to read too much into this, that why I wanted to get some opinions here!

does anyone have the price list of the white chocolate figures? what's the price difference between mickey, mickey and Minnie anniversary and the castle?

Here is the cake I got for my now fiancé as a surprise for our Easter weekend trip. I kind of new he was going to propose and wanted to do a little something for him. I ordered by calling the cake hotline and then SSR. I picked it up at Artist Pallette...I asked for Blue fondant and a spring-y theme. Cake was beautiful. We had marble with white chocolate mousse and it was crazy good. Cost as $49 total, 8 inch cake.
Loved the hidden Mickey!
image.jpg image.jpg

I had the same "problem" when I received e-mails back. I frist I was dealing with Donald at the Contemporary. After I sent an e-mail about wanting to make my step-daughers 10th birthday special and wanted to order a Minnie themed cake, I was (unrealistically) expecteding a response like "We would love to assist you in making the most fabulous Minnie themed cake to make your step-daughter's birthday extra magical...". Instead I got, "do you have a budget? - Donald"

So I first I thought maybe Donald was like Donald Duck and a little grumpy but then Brian eventually e-mailed me and while not as short, the responses were straight to the point. I know their job includes making these wonderful cakes so they have to be quick on e-mail, I am just not a short answer/e-mail person so I was a little thrown off.

But once Brian and I settled on what the cake looked like and I told him I would call to order it he did add "Have a Magical Day" which is the Disney stuff I was expecting.

So in short...it's not just you. Now as for the price...not sure about that. I would definitely ask how it changed. I am paying $106 also for an 8 inch fondant cake with ears and a bow on top.

Last edited:
I had the same "problem" when I received e-mails back. I frist I was dealing with Donald at the Contemporary. After I sent an e-mail about wanting to make my step-daughers 10th birthday special and wanted to order a Minnie themed cake, I was (unrealistically) expecteding a response like "We would love to assist you in making the most fabulous Minnie themed cake to make your step-daughter's birthday extra magical...". Instead I got, "do you have a budget? - Donald"

So I first I thought maybe Donald was like Donald Duck and a little grumpy but then Brian eventually e-mailed me and while not as short, the responses were straight to the point. I know their job includes making these wonderful cakes so they have to be quick on e-mail, I am just not a short answer/e-mail person so I was a little thrown off.

But once Brian and I settled on what the cake looked like and I told him I would call to order it he did add "Have a Magical Day" which is the Disney stuff I was expecting.

So in short...it's not just you. Now as for the price...not sure about that. I would definitely ask how it changed. I am paying $106 also for an 8 inch fondant cake with a ears and a bow on top.

LOL I got the same " do you have a budget" email!

does anyone have the price list of the white chocolate figures? what's the price difference between mickey, mickey and Minnie anniversary and the castle?

I've never seen an exact pricing list just a range of $15-$65. I would assume the Mickey Minnie combo would be on the higher end. When I had a mini white chocolate castle it was $15 (2 years ago) and the white chocolate slipper was the same price. I had looked into one of the princesses at one point and I want to say it was going to be around $30-$35.

does anyone have pics of cakes pirate themed?
Thanks
Jay.
we are having dinner at CRT for our sons birthday he will be 5.
if pics are posted can you tell me roughly how much the cakes are. I am wondering if any new cake toppers have been added?

does anyone have pics of cakes pirate themed?
Thanks
Jay.
we are having dinner at CRT for our sons birthday he will be 5.
if pics are posted can you tell me roughly how much the cakes are. I am wondering if any new cake toppers have been added?

This was ours that I posted recently. It was a 4 layer 6 inch cake and cost $120 from the Contemporary bakery. I probably have other pirate cake pics saved to my computer from when I was searching for ideas. Not sure if it's okay to post them or not though since they aren't mine.

Attachments

• MickeyPirateCake.jpg
    MickeyPirateCake.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 153
This was ours that I posted recently. It was a 4 layer 6 inch cake and cost $120 from the Contemporary bakery. I probably have other pirate cake pics saved to my computer from when I was searching for ideas. Not sure if it's okay to post them or not though since they aren't mine.

Love that pirate cake!!!

another option would be a grocery shop - I used wegoshop one year and ordered a nice chocolate deluxe cake from the Publix bakery. It was a well done good chocolate cake...check "Decadent desserts" under Bakery from the Publix website. I just called the Publix, and I let the wegoshop people know I had a special cake to pick up

but someone a few pages back had a cake delivered to T-rex? a place in DTD? Not sure how they worked it out...
(AH, SJSloan answered it back up thread too!)

Last edited:

Lurkyloo posted the available figures, when I called about a Mickey Minnie Anniversary white chocolate I think they quoted me $45. I thought that was too much since we wouldn't eat it, or if we did eat it... not sure... so I thought I'd save that money

(but I'm ordering a slipper dessert for DD, an Anniversary Cake, then I want to go with a birthday cake for dh, its his actual birthday. but we are celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary... so... it may be a bit much. I decided instead of combining to just order 2 mini cakes - dh is not a fan of fondant....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter