Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

I wonder what the weather is like during the first part of Sept for a 5K?

It is brutally hot and humid. When you run the bike path, the foliage makes the air still and heavy. Be prepared to run a slower pace and try and stay super hydrated and cool.

I'm hoping to run the 5K in November. I've never run before but hopefully I can get in shape over the next few months!

I did have a question...I have 2 DDs, 7&3. Is there any way to check them into the kids' club on the island before the race? I've been reading through the thread and have noticed some pretty late start times and some delays getting off so I was thinking maybe I could check in for the race and then go check them in to the club, meeting up with everyone else at the starting line (rather than waiting and disembarking with the group)? Any thoughts from those who have done it?

New to this... Few questions...
1. Do we have to sign up for the 5k with our cruise date? How?
2. Do you get off the boat before everyone else or does it start when everyone is able to get off the ship

2. Do you get off the boat before everyone else or does it start when everyone is able to get off the ship

Accidentally sent kit...
3- what do yourecieve at the end of the race? Are there extra things to purchase after you have completed it?

3- what do you recieve at the end of the race? Are there extra things to purchase after you have completed it?

1. No, you do not sign up in advance. You show up at the location listed on the Navigator on the morning of Castaway Cay day to sign up and get your bib #.
2. We went off as a group after other guests were allowed off the ship. I think they had more participants on our sailing than they were expecting.
3. You get a plastic "Winner" medal at the end of the race as pictured earlier in this thread. If you want, you can also purchase a T-shirt at the shop by the finish line.

I'm hoping to run the 5K in November. I've never run before but hopefully I can get in shape over the next few months!

I did have a question...I have 2 DDs, 7&3. Is there any way to check them into the kids' club on the island before the race? I've been reading through the thread and have noticed some pretty late start times and some delays getting off so I was thinking maybe I could check in for the race and then go check them in to the club, meeting up with everyone else at the starting line (rather than waiting and disembarking with the group)? Any thoughts from those who have done it?

Several people dropped off their kids then caught up with us. They waited to start the race until everyone was there - whether it was from the kids' club or the bathroom, etc.

DH and I are going to try and run the 5K in January. I was wondering if the Shutters photographers ever get pictures of the race?

DH and I are going to try and run the 5K in January. I was wondering if the Shutters photographers ever get pictures of the race?

I ran the CC 5k this in February and I did not see any shutter photographers taking race pics.

I was able to get a couple of cute character pictures with me in my race bib before and after the race very close to where the race starts/ends.

Did the 5K on Friday with my family, and all the info from this thread was right on target. It was crazy hot and humid, so I was very, very slow, but it was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again. No characters at the finish (at least by the time I got there), but we were first off the boat, plenty of water available, place to store your bag, plastic medals, nice Run Disney bib number to keep, and a friendly atmosphere. T-shirt sizes were definitely limited, so don't wait to get one!

I believe 12 is the official age.

They'll let kids run, but in the experience of the person sitting next to me with their child, the child won't get a bib number or medal, etc. (at least not in front of people...it seemed like the CM was telling the parent that she would give them something later)

10 I can see being fine with it.

Glad to hear this. My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this. I'll give him my medal.

And being from Savannah, GA, we are very accustomed to the heat and humidity. It's just par for the course for our runs!

My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this.

I hope he's not on my cruise. It's embarrassing to get smoked by these crazy fast kids. :laughing: Good on him tho!:thumbsup2

Just a note: I've run in Florida before during all the different seasons. Running on CC (at least in September) was a whole new level of oppressive I've never experienced before.

Did the 5K on Friday with my family, and all the info from this thread was right on target. It was crazy hot and humid, so I was very, very slow, but it was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again. No characters at the finish (at least by the time I got there), but we were first off the boat, plenty of water available, place to store your bag, plastic medals, nice Run Disney bib number to keep, and a friendly atmosphere. T-shirt sizes were definitely limited, so don't wait to get one!

Ran on Friday as well! I did a lot more walking than I'd hoped. No worries though. DH finished under 30 minutes and there weren't characters then either. Maybe it was TOO HOT for them. It was a cooker out there!

Glad to hear this. My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this. I'll give him my medal.

And being from Savannah, GA, we are very accustomed to the heat and humidity. It's just par for the course for our runs!

This is not a problem. When you go to the pre-race meet that morning, bring your son. The CMs know what to do with youngsters who run seriously, the CM will make some general announcements about the race, let you all know the minimum age requirement, etc. Then hand out bibs, when he gets to your son he'll say something like, "What's your age? Say twelve." Problem solved.

Have a great race.

I hope he's not on my cruise. It's embarrassing to get smoked by these crazy fast kids. :laughing: Good on him tho!:thumbsup2

:) I did a casual 5K at my university's homecoming for alumni and students, and an alum's teenager finished it in something like 15 minutes. Great for him, but yikes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter