Official Breast Feeding Support Thread for WDW Parks

I found this thread last night googling "breastfeeding in Disney World", and I'm so glad I did! I must have read 30 pages and the support just emanates from this group. I was all teary-eyed!

I just had my 3rd baby last month. My other kids are 11 and 13, so it's been a while since I've done this baby thing.

I lived in NC and was a WDW AP holder for several years, then moved to California and was a Disneyland AP holder for several more years, and then we just moved to Florida over the summer, and now I'm a WDW AP holder again. So I'm a pro at touring the parks, but I have NEVER done it with a nursing baby before. My first 2 babies were formula fed. I am TERRIFIED!

We are taking our first post-baby trip next week and I'm having so much anxiety about it. My baby will be 7 weeks old, and she nurses around the clock. I'm not very coordinated at the nursing in public thing yet. I am one of those breastfeeding newbies who packs a bottle of expressed milk when we go out in public, or I run to the car and "hide". I think a lot of my problem is that my baby can be a very "fussy" nurser sometimes. If she has a gas bubble, she'll start wailing and going absolutely frantic, latching on and off, leaving me totally exposed to the world (and of course, her screaming causes everyone to stare, which makes it worse).

So I'm trying to figure out how to manage this trip next week. Should I attempt to tote around frozen breastmilk in a cooler? We have a portable bottle warmer so I could warm it up as needed, but I have no idea how long I could keep it frozen in the Florida heat. I think I'd just die if it all came defrosted during the day and I had to dump it. The other problem, of course, is I can't miss more than 1 feeding in a row or I'll be in a lot of pain. I definitely don't feel like carrying a pump around with me. I'm hoping that between the dark rides, shows, and restaurants, I can get enough nursing sessions in that she won't end up hungry in an awkward spot where I'd need to use a bottle, but I'd like to have a couple on hand just in case.

My other worry is how I'm supposed to lug this baby around when the stroller is parked. She's a newborn, but she's still heavy (over 10 pounds). She likes being in the mei tai carrier at home, but even in the A/C, we both end up completely drenched in sweat within minutes. I know I would not be able to wear her around Disney without dying. Even when I'm carrying her in my arms, I get so overheated.

I feel like this is going to be a very challenging trip, so I'm open to any advice on how to do Disney with a newborn in the heat. Thankfully, we go so frequently it doesn't really matter how much of the parks we actually end up seeing. Just a couple rides a day is fine.

My concern with you carrying the milk in a cooler all day (other than how to keep it cold enough). Would be your supply. Are you planning to pump at each feed? Even just 2 days of no pumping/nursing could really kill your supply.

I would suggest trying to find a place to feed and just deal with it as it comes. She might surprise you and be good as gold, it is Disney world right?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I have had some moms that like to use a thin blanket while nursing and will use a binder clip to clip it to their shirt (on the shoulder). That may help keep you from being too exposed if she likes to pop off and on. I had a little girl like this too, I rarely left home. When I did we didn't cover, it was too much work. One nip slip or two isn't going to kill anyone ;).

This thread makes my heart so happy!!! Last trip I went, I bf at Disney :) My daughter was 11 months old at the time. I had gotten really good at NIP by that point. I found these great light weight tank tops with a built in shelf type bra and very light pads (just thick enough so if I was cold, or what have you, it wouldn't be noticeable. I am fairly small on top so these worked perfect for me. I wore them under everything in place of an actual bra. I would life up my top shirt and bring down the tank/pop my breast out. It was quick and very discreet and no tummy or top of my breast showed, so I felt super confident and comfortable NIP anywhere. I was a bit nervous doing it in Disney only because of many people are around but no one even noticed.

:) Rock on mammas!

This thread is great! I took DD to WDW in 2011 when she was 6 months old. While the baby care centers were great, they were also a bit inconvenient at times. I actually often credit this trip with me "getting over" my issue of nursing in public. I nursed at airports, on airplanes, on benches, by the pool, and the most fun- during a pouring rainstorm while sitting on a bench outside of a shop in Italy in Epcot. We didn't want to get drenched, so we just got comfy on a bench, hubby helped keep the cover on(ish) me and baby, and she topped off her tummy. The rain cleared, and then we were good to keep going.

We are taking our first post-baby trip next week and I'm having so much anxiety about it. My baby will be 7 weeks old, and she nurses around the clock. I'm not very coordinated at the nursing in public thing yet. I am one of those breastfeeding newbies who packs a bottle of expressed milk when we go out in public, or I run to the car and "hide". I think a lot of my problem is that my baby can be a very "fussy" nurser sometimes. If she has a gas bubble, she'll start wailing and going absolutely frantic, latching on and off, leaving me totally exposed to the world (and of course, her screaming causes everyone to stare, which makes it worse).

So I'm trying to figure out how to manage this trip next week. Should I attempt to tote around frozen breastmilk in a cooler? We have a portable bottle warmer so I could warm it up as needed, but I have no idea how long I could keep it frozen in the Florida heat. I think I'd just die if it all came defrosted during the day and I had to dump it. The other problem, of course, is I can't miss more than 1 feeding in a row or I'll be in a lot of pain. I definitely don't feel like carrying a pump around with me. I'm hoping that between the dark rides, shows, and restaurants, I can get enough nursing sessions in that she won't end up hungry in an awkward spot where I'd need to use a bottle, but I'd like to have a couple on hand just in case.

My other worry is how I'm supposed to lug this baby around when the stroller is parked. She's a newborn, but she's still heavy (over 10 pounds). She likes being in the mei tai carrier at home, but even in the A/C, we both end up completely drenched in sweat within minutes. I know I would not be able to wear her around Disney without dying. Even when I'm carrying her in my arms, I get so overheated.

I feel like this is going to be a very challenging trip, so I'm open to any advice on how to do Disney with a newborn in the heat. Thankfully, we go so frequently it doesn't really matter how much of the parks we actually end up seeing. Just a couple rides a day is fine.

Try not to stress! I'd suggest looking into a light cover. I have an infinity mom scarf and loved it at disney! Lightweight and covered a distracted kid when I was shy about flashing. I ended up nursing everywhere and never felt people were staring at me.

It will really be hot, so I personally wouldn't bother with frozen milk. I brought my pump just in case and never used it. I lugged it around for nothing. Definitely use the air conditioned and quiet baby centers. Also rides like tomorrow land transit authority.

Would a sling be cooler than a mei tie?

I'll be there next week nursing a 19 month old DD. Maybe I'll see you in the baby centers! Hang in there!

I found this thread last night googling "breastfeeding in Disney World", and I'm so glad I did! I must have read 30 pages and the support just emanates from this group. I was all teary-eyed!

I just had my 3rd baby last month. My other kids are 11 and 13, so it's been a while since I've done this baby thing.

I lived in NC and was a WDW AP holder for several years, then moved to California and was a Disneyland AP holder for several more years, and then we just moved to Florida over the summer, and now I'm a WDW AP holder again. So I'm a pro at touring the parks, but I have NEVER done it with a nursing baby before. My first 2 babies were formula fed. I am TERRIFIED!

Hey there, I really hope you have a wonderful trip. With my elder son I was really nervous of nursing in public because he was hard to latch on and had reflux so was always vomiting everywhere whilst nursing. At 7 weeks by FIL was taken seriously ill and we spent a lot of the next 3 weeks in hospital visiting him. None of dh's family ever nursed and it was tough, but actually being forced to nurse him in public sorted my fears and I suddenly realised that we could do it. Just trying to encourage you, that maybe this is the moment for you to conquer your worries and find a new freedom!

Definitely visit the baby centres as they are lovely and will give you both a chance to cool down. Get a battery fan that you can attach to your stroller and this will help, and whatever you do, don't hang anything over the stroller to block the sun as I've recently read a report that this dramatically increases the temperature inside the pram. 2piece clothing items (ie top and shorts) are much cooler than romper suits etc.

We went when my younger son was 10 months and nursing was brilliant as it meant I could calm him, and provide sustenance whenever he needed it without having to faff around with a bottle or wait for food to be served. I imagine that if are willing to wait / ask at booking a meal, you could request a table in a restaurant that is maybe a bit more private so that you could feel more comfortable nursing. They are usually pretty accommodating if you are willing to wait and are polite about it.

We went in August and the heat was so intense. Ride lines however and shops have lovely air con and we spent quite a lot of time in them.

Can family help you to carry little one? I agree with others that maybe a sling, or even a more fixed shape carrier might be a bit cooler... She won't be in it too much, so maybe worth a try?

Hope it all works out and you have a wonderful time. We are off next month and I'm still nursing my younger son who is 2 next week... I feel more conspicuous now that he is older than I did when he was little... Ah well

Xx

My concern with you carrying the milk in a cooler all day (other than how to keep it cold enough). Would be your supply. Are you planning to pump at each feed? Even just 2 days of no pumping/nursing could really kill your supply.

I would suggest trying to find a place to feed and just deal with it as it comes. She might surprise you and be good as gold, it is Disney world right?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I have had some moms that like to use a thin blanket while nursing and will use a binder clip to clip it to their shirt (on the shoulder). That may help keep you from being too exposed if she likes to pop off and on. I had a little girl like this too, I rarely left home. When I did we didn't cover, it was too much work. One nip slip or two isn't going to kill anyone ;).

Never heard the binder clip trick before. That's a great idea!

Try not to stress! I'd suggest looking into a light cover. I have an infinity mom scarf and loved it at disney! Lightweight and covered a distracted kid when I was shy about flashing. I ended up nursing everywhere and never felt people were staring at me.

It will really be hot, so I personally wouldn't bother with frozen milk. I brought my pump just in case and never used it. I lugged it around for nothing. Definitely use the air conditioned and quiet baby centers. Also rides like tomorrow land transit authority.

Would a sling be cooler than a mei tie?

I'll be there next week nursing a 19 month old DD. Maybe I'll see you in the baby centers! Hang in there!

My sister made me a couple of those infinity scarves and I haven't figured them out yet. I really need to try them out because they are really lightweight.

Hey there, I really hope you have a wonderful trip. With my elder son I was really nervous of nursing in public because he was hard to latch on and had reflux so was always vomiting everywhere whilst nursing. At 7 weeks by FIL was taken seriously ill and we spent a lot of the next 3 weeks in hospital visiting him. None of dh's family ever nursed and it was tough, but actually being forced to nurse him in public sorted my fears and I suddenly realised that we could do it. Just trying to encourage you, that maybe this is the moment for you to conquer your worries and find a new freedom!

Definitely visit the baby centres as they are lovely and will give you both a chance to cool down. Get a battery fan that you can attach to your stroller and this will help, and whatever you do, don't hang anything over the stroller to block the sun as I've recently read a report that this dramatically increases the temperature inside the pram. 2piece clothing items (ie top and shorts) are much cooler than romper suits etc.

We went when my younger son was 10 months and nursing was brilliant as it meant I could calm him, and provide sustenance whenever he needed it without having to faff around with a bottle or wait for food to be served. I imagine that if are willing to wait / ask at booking a meal, you could request a table in a restaurant that is maybe a bit more private so that you could feel more comfortable nursing. They are usually pretty accommodating if you are willing to wait and are polite about it.

We went in August and the heat was so intense. Ride lines however and shops have lovely air con and we spent quite a lot of time in them.

Can family help you to carry little one? I agree with others that maybe a sling, or even a more fixed shape carrier might be a bit cooler... She won't be in it too much, so maybe worth a try?

Hope it all works out and you have a wonderful time. We are off next month and I'm still nursing my younger son who is 2 next week... I feel more conspicuous now that he is older than I did when he was little... Ah well

Xx

I feel like I'm going to be a pro at NIP by the end of this trip! We are going to try to find a fan. I definitely don't want her to melt in the stroller. As for the carrier, we are looking into maybe a K'tan breeze. It looks a little cooler and less bulky than the Mei Tai so it might work better for waiting in lines.

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup2

My tip for NIP when you're uncomfortable, without a cover or in the carrier is a wide-brimmed hat! :) iPlay makes some cute ones on Amazon that I recommend. Before I got used to NIP, but after my LO started refusing to nurse under a cover, I used them a lot. With a nursing top or the layered tank top route, you can minimize skin uncoverage you're uncomfortable with, and then the wide brim on the baby's hat hides the actual nursing from view, without the bulk of a cover.

Of course--your baby has to tolerate hats. :)

Also? All those dark rides are FANTASTIC for nursing. My LO went at 18m, and as soon as we'd sit down on, say, the Haunted Mansion, she'd sign to nurse. Hee

Anyway, best of luck! (Oh, and make sure to remember to keep YOURSELF hydrated!)

Wow! This is an awesome thread! I have been a little nervous about BF during our trip, but there are great tips here. Thanks!:thumbsup2

I wanted to post an update, now that we're done with our 2 weekends in a row in Orlando.

The biggest challenge I had was my wardrobe. My baby wasn't even 7 weeks old yet when we left for our first weekend, so I never had a chance to go out and buy a suitable nursing wardrobe before the trip. The 2 shirt method would have been a huge help. I wish I could have had a chance to go out and buy some thin, lightweight nursing tanks, with some thin, lightweight, oversized t-shirts. Instead, I had to wear the clothes that I had, which were very difficult to nurse in public in....especially in the heat.

I brought an udder cover, and it was so godforsaken hot, the baby would just scream and couldn't get latched on, which made her even hotter, which made me even hotter, and the end result was me wearing this giant apron with a screaming, thrashing baby underneath, a hundred people staring, and me wanting to crawl in a hole and die. I will say, the udder cover was helpful for times we were in some decent air conditioning and I was able to calmly get her latched on under the cover, and then I kinda pulled most of it off of her once she was latched and just used it to cover me.

I was able to find good, quiet, air conditioned places to nurse in Magic Kingdom and in Future World. World Showcase was another story. With F&W going on, it was absolutely mobbed, it was hot, there were no benches, there was no where to go to get out of the heat. The 2 times we ventured into World Showcase were horrible. We had a reservation at Via Napoli, and I couldn't find a place to sit and feed the baby because it was so crowded, so she was screaming bloody murder in the lobby with everyone staring. I was trying unsuccessfully to latch her on while standing and wearing an udder cover, but it wasn't happening because we were both way too overheated and stressed out, so all I did was draw a ton of attention to myself. Finally a wonderful woman came over and asked some people to move out of the way so I could sit and feed my hungry baby. God bless her! I also couldn't find any benches to sit on during IllumiNations, so I had to sit on the ground next to a mud puddle to nurse. Another time we were in Norway and I couldn't find a place to nurse, so I had to go inside the ride building and find a corner where I could sit on the floor. I never want to go into World Showcase with a nursing infant again. At least not when it's hot and not during F&W.

So needless to say, my dream of visiting all the F&W booths over my 2 trips did not pan out. I didn't get to hit up a single booth!

The places I found that were easiest to nurse in:
Baby Care Centers
Innoventions
Finding Nemo ride
People Mover
Also in Universal Studios - the big shaded picnic area near the Simpsons stuff

A disappointment:
Hall of Presidents

I thought it would be perfect, but there was a long wait with a hungry baby just to get in to the next show, and it was a very quiet show, so everyone could hear every grunt she made. I ended up walking out halfway through the show because it didn't feel very private.

Lastly, I found it very helpful to bring a bottle of expressed milk each day. The milk is good for about 4 hours out in the heat once it's defrosted, so we'd leave around 11 a.m. and I'd have until 3 p.m. to use it. We would use these few hours to do the headliner rides and use baby swap (daddy would feed her the bottle while I would ride). The other thing I'm glad I had was the ring sling. My baby hates the stroller and the ring sling allowed me to carry her around a little easier. I carried her for MILES, and yes, my back hurt, but not as bad as it would have without the sling. She would also sleep soundly in it, so we could do big lines. We didn't hesitate to wait 75 minutes for Gringotts. She slept through the whole line!

This thread makes my heart so happy!!! Last trip I went, I bf at Disney :) My daughter was 11 months old at the time. I had gotten really good at NIP by that point. I found these great light weight tank tops with a built in shelf type bra and very light pads (just thick enough so if I was cold, or what have you, it wouldn't be noticeable. I am fairly small on top so these worked perfect for me. I wore them under everything in place of an actual bra. I would life up my top shirt and bring down the tank/pop my breast out. It was quick and very discreet and no tummy or top of my breast showed, so I felt super confident and comfortable NIP anywhere. I was a bit nervous doing it in Disney only because of many people are around but no one even noticed.

:) Rock on mammas!

I'm looking for some nursing tanks for my trip this month, and thus sounds perfect. Do you know which brand you used?

This is a great thread! This is the first time I will be traveling to WDW with a nursing baby. My first was nursed until she turned 1. But, I never really NIP. I am getting more comfortable with it now. I recently bought a travel boppy that folds in half and looks like a bag. It helps me feed her in public because it gives me that extra support.

I will be EP while there, guess I will lug my Medela around the world :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

vettegirl said:
I will be EP while there, guess I will lug my Medela around the world :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I have a few posts in this thread about EPing at Disney and tips from my trips. If you go up to the "search this thread" link in the top right, and death "EPing" they should come up :)

I typically pair a v neck shirt with an undercover mama nursing tank for easy access. Top access for baby carriers and belly coverage for everything else.

I nursed in my Tula baby carrier at the monorail station, on the people mover, on a bench at Epcot and on the monorail back to the TTC today. We just bought annual passes today :cool1: so I have a feeling I will do a lot of nursing around Disney.

Congrats on breast feeding. I BF my son up to 15 months ( he just stopped suddenly most likely due to teething). I had planned on cutting it off at two years. I always choose to BF privately. Disney has child are centers in all of their major locations. Plus if you have a good cover up, you may be able to find a quiet corner.

I got back a week ago from a week long trip with the family. I have 5 kids - 9, 7, 5, 2 and 5 months. I've nursed them all so I am fairly experienced with nip, but my kids have also been easily distracted so I've had my challenges too. I typically nurse with a cover, not so much for modesty reasons, but more because my kids have always been very distracted. However, it was so hot the first part of the week that any cover was impossible. It was just too hot. I'm also used to carrying my kids as babies. I did at the beginning of the week, but by the end of the week, I was so tired of having a hot baby on me.

I did purchase a new carrier for the trip - the beco gemina and loved it. I liked it much better then my ergo, but it is more difficult to use the toilet with the carrier on. The stiff waist band offers more support, but it makes it difficult to pull your pants down and up - elastic waist pants would be handy here.

I nursed everywhere. Mostly standing up and walking around. But I also took advantage of times when my older kids would ride and I was with 2 year DD. The hardest was keeping her occupied while baby nursed. I found counting mickey ears to be a great diversion. That and mickey ice cream bars.

No one said anything to me. And honestly, I was too occupied nursing or keeping track of my other kids to worry what others thought.

I only visited the baby care once to change a diaper. It wouldn't have worked for me to go off to a center. But some places that I liked more than others to nurse - side path along side the castle, Tom Sawyer island on the rocking chairs of the unused boat launch, Dumbo's tent, and Boneyard in AK. My biggest issue was that I needed a place to nurse that would keep the others occupied. Epcot during F&W was the most challenging, it was very crowded; however, I nursed in the Innoventions hall (by the fire exhibit) and that was a nice air conditioned break.

I could also see nursing on Living with the Land in epcot. I did nurse on the Great Movie ride, but it was difficult because of the loud noises. I also nursed during Indiana Jones which was okay, but again the loud noises can be distracting.

I also highly recommend the Next Level deep v neck t-shirts ($6 on Amazon in extra large sizes) and the Target nursing bra that is marketed as a sleeping nursing bra. I just found this wardrobe staple for my fifth kid and absolutely love the convenience. I can push aside the shirt for nursing without having to lift up my shirt.

I am also prone to breast infections and came prepared with a heating pad and ibuprofen. I made sure to message my breasts in the shower. I still ended up with chills and sore breasts towards the end of my trip. The disruptions in schedules, awkward feeding positions, etc. can cause me to get really sore. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask you doctor for a z-pack to take along just in case your prone to infections.

Overall we had a wonderful time. However, you do have to take some extra patience and be okay with riding a little less then DH. I was good with this and had such a good time that I am planning another trip in January.

Thanks for those location ideas! DD was easier to nurse on our august trip at 8 mos than our may trip at 5 mos. we'll be back in December and she has started eating solids several times a day, but is still nursing a lot. She is highly distractible as well and can get cranky when distracted too!

Bumping!

New moms are looking for information everyday!

We have created such a wonderful supportive community here!

Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup2

Great thread!! Took my 9 month old...who is now 7 years old...and nursed absolutely EVERYWHERE! Even on Kilimanjaro Safari! Will be taking a 6 month old this fall (I'm due in April) so I love hearing everyone's more recent experiences!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter