Official Avengers Half Marathon Weekend 2015 Thread

Medals are out!!

While I'm only running the 5K this time, I am so happy with how it looks.

Thor's hammer will be a great way to showcase my accomplishment as I begin my transition to 10K races and getting a (real) medal starting with Tinkerbelle next Spring :)

(We opted to not run Star Wars this year due to timing - January is a rough month)

How is everyone's training going? I am still ramping up from a down time after a surgery, starting to feel a little pressure of the race getting closer. I had a crazy buys schedule in August and missed some runs. Because I was sort of starting from scratch for this race due to the long period of no running, I don't have a time goal, just want to finish all three races without any major issues pain wise. I am still in PT, back up to 2-3 runs of about 3 miles a week, plus a long run on the weekend. I am up to 6 miles for the long run. I am not fast, about 10:30/mile but I am at least more comfortable running again. So far the IT band issues have not returned, but I am still very nervous...

Ok-ish. I went to DL last week and didn't run at all. I brought my stuff with me, and had good intentions, but with getting up early every morning to get ready and get my family ready, and then walking all day, and being up late, it just never happened.

I'm not fast, either. I'm at where you are. This will be my first half, and I'm just looking for a finish and a "feel like I did my best".

With so much talk about costumes I was wondering for those that went last year were all the costumes Avenger themed? Any traditional ones like Mickey, Minnie or Donald?

Also what are the character meet and greets all Avengers?

There were costumes of all kinds, mostly Avenger or Avenger related: Shield agents, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.

The character meets were Thor, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Mickey, Alice with White Rabbit and Mad Hatter, uhmmm, I think that was all of them? That was for the 5k when it's not timed so you can stop and stand in line. By the time I got to Black Widow and Hawkeye, the lines were closed but I was walking.

Anyone recall characters at the half? 10k is new this year right? At Princess I usually do run-by selfies, the characters seem to look for those and will give you a quick look between the people who are standing in line, and thats enough for me. But there are few heroes I'd stand in line for:) My favorite picture is still with the green army guy on the Epcot ramp. Its been the lock screen on my phone since I took it:)

My husband and I are both doing the 10K as a personal challenge and goal setting activity. We are both well overweight and trying to be more active. We have been doing 5Ks for about a year. He is much more consistent with his training than I am. I am really bad about it in the summer when it is so hot (we are in AZ).

I am doing couch to 5K. My goal/ thought is if I can run a whole 5K, I can survive a 10K. I should finish CT5K 3-4 weeks before Avengers, so I am hoping to work up to running 4 miles. I actually started a little over a month ago and on day 2, crash. I fell and sprained my ankle pretty badly. I just rolled it on nothing. I was sitting there on the ground really happy no-one had seen me, but then thinking "How am I going to get up?" Luckily I was able to and hobbled home. But, it set me back 4 weeks and now I am a little worried I won't be ready. I bought an ankle brace and that has helped me be less afraid of falling again. My run pace tends to be around 11 min miles, so I am hoping running half or more gives me the lead time I need to not get swept. But, we are nervously excited for our first Run Disney race and first 10K!

My husband and I are both doing the 10K as a personal challenge and goal setting activity. We are both well overweight and trying to be more active. We have been doing 5Ks for about a year. He is much more consistent with his training than I am. I am really bad about it in the summer when it is so hot (we are in AZ).

I am doing couch to 5K. My goal/ thought is if I can run a whole 5K, I can survive a 10K. I should finish CT5K 3-4 weeks before Avengers, so I am hoping to work up to running 4 miles. I actually started a little over a month ago and on day 2, crash. I fell and sprained my ankle pretty badly. I just rolled it on nothing. I was sitting there on the ground really happy no-one had seen me, but then thinking "How am I going to get up?" Luckily I was able to and hobbled home. But, it set me back 4 weeks and now I am a little worried I won't be ready. I bought an ankle brace and that has helped me be less afraid of falling again. My run pace tends to be around 11 min miles, so I am hoping running half or more gives me the lead time I need to not get swept. But, we are nervously excited for our first Run Disney race and first 10K!

Oh no! I'm glad it's doing better! While I think you will survive the 10K it is double the distance and I personally found it a bit more challenging. Just my two cents.

I hope your ankle continues to heal!

As a relatively new runner myself, I would encourage you to add some distance to your training runs. If you are following C25K, it might work to add a brisk walking interval at the end of one run per week (before your cool down) to get the feel of completing a 10K. The Avengers 10k training plan has suggested distances for your long run every other week. If you ease into it now, you should be able to complete a 6 mile or so before November. I found it really helped to know that I could do the full distance at a brisk pace before stepping up to the start line of my first RunDisney event.

Also, make sure you are completing the distance based option of C25K. That is, if it says to run 2.25 miles or 22 minutes, make sure you do the 2.25 miles. Most people using the app will cover less distance when just running for a fixed period of time.

Best of luck. -- Suzanne

Any ideas if New Balance will release a special shoe design for Avengers weekend? I believe they've released something for almost every race weekend this year (except Princess and EEC - which of course didn't really have a normal Expo). Would love an Avengers themed running shoe.

I was REALLY hoping the challenge medal would be at the expo and someone would have posted it by now...but it doesn't look like that's the case :sad1::sad:

I was REALLY hoping the challenge medal would be at the expo and someone would have posted it by now...but it doesn't look like that's the case :sad1::sad:
Me too. I was hoping the challenge medal would be revealed this weekend. Can't wait to see it.

This may have already been discussed, but I didn't see it in my very hasty browsing lol. The rD site says transportation is provided from Anaheim Area hotels but I can't find anywhere that says what those are. Does anyone know what hotels will provide race transportation?

Any ideas if New Balance will release a special shoe design for Avengers weekend?
The Donald design seemed to come out of nowhere, so it's possible... but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

This may have already been discussed, but I didn't see it in my very hasty browsing lol. The rD site says transportation is provided from Anaheim Area hotels but I can't find anywhere that says what those are. Does anyone know what hotels will provide race transportation?
Check out the list on page 10 of the Disneyland Half Marathon Official Event Guide; I believe it would stay the same for Avengers Weekend since I think it's provided by the city's public transit system.

Check out the list on page 10 of the Disneyland Half Marathon Official Event Guide; I believe it would stay the same for Avengers Weekend since I think it's provided by the city's public transit system.

@EpicBilynn Yes, check out the Disneyland Half Marathon guide. I don't think the hotels change very much. Like Castle2Castle said, transportation is provided by the city's public transit system: ART (Anaheim Resort Transportation). I usually park at downtown Disney to go to the expo and then I pick up an ART voucher at the expo to use for the rest of the weekend. At the expo, there's a transportation desk that has maps and vouchers for runners and their guests.

Yep, no challenge medal. Sorry guys.

At the beginning of the year I thought NB said they were doing at least one new shoe design per race weekend this year, so Im expecting a new one for Avengers.

@EpicBilynn Yes, check out the Disneyland Half Marathon guide. I don't think the hotels change very much. Like Castle2Castle said, transportation is provided by the city's public transit system: ART (Anaheim Resort Transportation). I usually park at downtown Disney to go to the expo and then I pick up an ART voucher at the expo to use for the rest of the weekend. At the expo, there's a transportation desk that has maps and vouchers for runners and their guests.

Thanks, guys! I checked the guide and the hotels listed and definitely feel better. Now to finish planning and start on costumes. Haha oops! Better late than never!

The shirts arrived! Woo hoo! They aren't compression shirts, just basic tec-shirt material and are perfect! Need to do a few training runs in them to make sure but I love my winter soldier and quick silver shirts! I ended up buying the UA Thor compression shirt as I got a wicked deal on amazon for it. The compression is different (especially because it is men's cut not a woman's cut) but I like it! Honestly, I prefer the ebay shirts as of now (not worn to train yet) because they feel lighter. And spending about $10 on each shirt (with shipping) was amazing! When I wear them over the next couple of training runs I can update you on how they feel running.

Yesterday I read of the Facebook Avengers Half page someone asking if the course was the same. One of the responses was that runDisney has "cancelled" last year's course. Have any of y'all heard about this?

Ran just over 9 miles in 2:05 on Sunday. I feel so SLOW but my running buddy tells me we are faster than last year. I've got local practice halfs on 10/4, 10/11 and 11/1. I've also been doubling up my work outs now for Infinity Gauntlet for a solid month. Work/family and two training runs a week aren't meshing well. I'm only managing one spin and one training run a week.

On a lighter note, the cold front is COMING! I'm about to get a temperature and humidity check for days!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter