Official Avengers Half Marathon Weekend 2015 Thread

I'm headed to DLR for 9 days in August, and I'll need to fit in a few runs. We usually split our summer visit with a beach house rentals and I run then and don't run when we are at the parks. But this year, we have APs so are staying by the parks the whole time. I'm going to miss my beach runs, but I need to find an option near the parks. Any ideas?

I'm headed to DLR for 9 days in August, and I'll need to fit in a few runs. We usually split our summer visit with a beach house rentals and I run then and don't run when we are at the parks. But this year, we have APs so are staying by the parks the whole time. I'm going to miss my beach runs, but I need to find an option near the parks. Any ideas?

Did you run Avenger's last year? If so, I believe the dirt trail portion we ran is open to the public year round. Its only a couple of miles from the parks.

Did you run Avenger's last year? If so, I believe the dirt trail portion we ran is open to the public year round. Its only a couple of miles from the parks.

I didn't, but I can look on google maps.

On my most recent trip to Disneyland we went to the Thor and Captain America Meet and Greet. We told them both about the half marathon weekend we are training for and Captain America suggested we get a "before" picture and take the "after" one after we complete the race. So I now have my "before" picture flexing with Captain America. Ha Ha
Happy Training Everyone!!!

I am so keen on photos with Cap and Thor. We'll probably hunt them down on Monday again for those. Too much else to do on Sunday, like eat! and strut around the park, and eat some more.

Am I the only one doing proof of time races already? My legs are so sore, my quads were randomly giving out on me yesterday if I stood up too suddenly. I guess it's not that surprising, given that the last time I raced all out was for this race last year (even last year's half was done fairly conservatively, given it was my first).

I managed to shave 11 minutes off my proof of time result though.

Which is totally and utterly worth all the pain I reckon. Managed to score an estimated finish time of sub 2hr (by about 20 seconds on the 10k time).

So bloody proud of myself right now. I hope everyone else is having even half as good a week as I had this week.

I am so keen on photos with Cap and Thor. We'll probably hunt them down on Monday again for those. Too much else to do on Sunday, like eat! and strut around the park, and eat some more.

Am I the only one doing proof of time races already? My legs are so sore, my quads were randomly giving out on me yesterday if I stood up too suddenly. I guess it's not that surprising, given that the last time I raced all out was for this race last year (even last year's half was done fairly conservatively, given it was my first).

I managed to shave 11 minutes off my proof of time result though.

Which is totally and utterly worth all the pain I reckon. Managed to score an estimated finish time of sub 2hr (by about 20 seconds on the 10k time).

So bloody proud of myself right now. I hope everyone else is having even half as good a week as I had this week.

I'm very jealous! I found a bunch of 10k races this month, but a spring surgery with major post-op restrictions derailed my training, and I had hoped all that down time would end my hamstring woes but it didn't. I'm likely going to have to use a really old 10k time (just makes the cut off) I know I could have beat by 5 minutes at least prior to the surgery. I may try for a new time at the end of the month. There's a night race the week before the POT deadline hits. But I'm not sure how I'll do. I've run/walked up to 5 miles, and run almost 3 non stop. But a full 6.2 with a decent time seems unlikely to go great in just two weeks. Its a flat course, so I may wait and see how the weather is. If it is favorable, I may try it just to see. My current POT 10k is 1:02. I really wanted it under an hour and thought I could get to about 56 minutes. It is what it is, I don't want to hurt myself further pushing to do something I am not ready for. I'm doing GSC too, so I will focus on improving that POT because the one I am using for Avengers is too old for GSC standards.

Today is the first day of the Galloway training for the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm not following his plan, but the start of his plans is when I start my own modified plan -- lots more strength and cross training due to injury history. My alarm was set for 5:00 am. But we had a chirping fire alarm around 4 am, and I think in my initial confusion I did something to my iPad to turn off the alarm. So missed that run. Not a good way to begin the day.

For anyone who did this race weekend last year, are the Christmas decorations going to be up by then?

For anyone who did this race weekend last year, are the Christmas decorations going to be up by then?

I haven't run this, but I believe someone asked that earlier in this thread, or I read the same question in last years thread, and the answer was yes, the decorations are up. Hopefully someone here will confirm.

I didn't run the race last year, but I heard a race review on the Mickey Miles podcast & they discussed the fact that this was a great race to attend because the parks are decorated for the holidays by this time of year.

As DVCFan1994 and MeridaAndAngus said, the Christmas decorations were up for last years Avengers 1/2. By that time they also began to do Christmas entertainment like the Christmas Parade and Fireworks. This year will be a little different because Disneyland's entertainment people have said the 60th will continue during the holiday's. I think many decorations will be up like the Main Street and California Adventure Christmas Trees. But because the new Paint the Night parade will still be going they won't be able to have garland across Main Street (the floats are too tall), and the Castle will keep its 60th overlay instead of the Christmas one. My guess is the Christmas parade will still be the daytime parade, and they will likely still have Small World Holiday. But this year may not have as much Christmas stuff as last year.

Thanks for the info, @EDS19 ! Was that the first weekend of decorations?
I think Veterans Day is around when Christmas usually kick's off. Last year the races were on Nov 15 - 16th.
I was in the parks on Nov 10th and 11th last year, and I believe those were some of the first days of the Christmas Celebration (the only thing that wasn't open when we were there was the Jungle cruise Christmas Overlay).

Based on yesterday's announcement about Halloween at Disneyland this year with the 60th I think my predictions above are still good guesses. Most of the Christmas stuff will be up but the Castle will keep the 60th overlay and the fireworks will be the 60th instead of the Christmas version.

I think it will be a cool race with both Christmas, 60th and Avengers stuff all over the park.

Also the rumors are pretty strong that new Avengers (and Star Wars) meet and greets and interactive displays, etc. will open up in Tomorrowland in November. (in the old Innoventions building) I would assume they would be working to have that ready for the Avengers Weekend.

An advertisement in my Facebook news feed this morning included this little gem (or glove of gems...) in case anyone would like to consider a new t-shirt ahead of the weekend. :)

Dark%20Side%20of%20Infinity.jpg

Today runDisney posted Avengers cover photos on Facebook.
Here is a look. They have more detail then the previously uploaded training guides.

One item to note... On the Avengers Half cover photo they have six symbols. One for Hawkeye, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, and... it looks like one for Ant-Man. It would be fun if they were able to add both a Hulk and Ant-Man characters to the course.

avengersHeader.jpg captainHeader.jpg igChallangeHeader.jpg

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll try to be vague just in case.

There is a second superhero in Ant-Man, and his suit has been modified since he last appeared in a Marvel movie. Has anyone seen a costume for sale for the new suit? DS really likes the superhero, and he claims the costume helps him run faster. I'd like to get the modified suit, if possible.

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I'll try to be vague just in case.

There is a second superhero in Ant-Man, and his suit has been modified since he last appeared in a Marvel movie. Has anyone seen a costume for sale for the new suit? DS really likes the superhero, and he claims the costume helps him run faster. I'd like to get the modified suit, if possible.
I haven't seen it yet (on the Disney website or elsewhere) I would guess that since the Avengers Weekend is post Halloween there's a fair chance of it coming out before the race.

I am not going to be able to run a race and get my proof of time in to get put in a certain corral. Summer is just flying past! How bad is it going to be in the very back corral? Do a lot of people walk? I am not a super fast runner, but I plan to run and try to do my best, so I'm worried about getting caught up in packs of walkers based on what I am reading about last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter