***Official April 2013 thread*** SEE POST # 4028

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at POFQ and I am beginning to think that I will get the prize for paying the most for a room there. We have the AAA discount (10%) and that is it. I know someone else here got a nice military discount (40% I think). But dh does not want to switch, he'd rather pay more and be where he is comfortable than switch and risk being disappointed.

I used it yesterday. It would not take my credit card. :confused3 Then when I was going through and checking the few choices they give you, I discovered that once checked, you can't uncheck. Initially I checked first floor, then reconsidered. We've always been on third floor and it has never been a problem. The steps have such a gradual rise that it doesn't feel like you are climbing two flights of stairs. And we've never heard the toilet noises many people complain about, so I started thinking that this was a lower floor issue. I went back to uncheck it and couldn't get rid of it. Hmmm, maybe I should try a different browser.

:cool1:

I don't know if it matters, but POFQ has elevators in every building, so the stairs aren't a huge issue. My only request is a corner room, and somehow I doubt that's listed on the online check-in options. The only time we've done online check-in our options were ground floor room, pack and play, close to elevator etc. Basically all the "normal" requests.

As per the discount, there are plenty of people who pay full price for their rooms, because that's what they want. Have you tried pricing it with the Spring discount though? It should be good for around 25% and you probably can stick with POFQ. You can probably have your AAA TA book it for you, or you can have them cancel what you have now, and book it yourself. The only caveat is that you may have to cancel your current reservation which would mean a refund of what you've already paid and a new deposit. If you're one of the people who has already paid off their vacation, it could be frustrating.

The Armed Forces Salute discount is 35% for the Moderates, and 40% for the Deluxes. Even so, it would have been an extra $800 to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for this trip, which is why we stuck with POFQ.

Yeah, maybe I'll hold off for a little bit and see if there is any more information about MyMagic+ being rolled out or not. IPO told me to go ahead and do it, but....I don't know.... We also only have a room only (we have AP's), so I don't know if that will affect anything...so many questions! :confused3

I have seen that reported as a problem -- not being able to uncheck once you check...I don't get that...mistakes happen...:confused3

Since I already know what floor I'll be on, and I have put my requests into IPO and they already know my arrival time....I am thinking I will just hold off on checking in on line, unless I hear more about MyMagic +

We'll be getting the Armed Forces Salute tickets, and while it's likely I'll actually purchase them in advance this time (we have to drop by ITR to get DH his free Universal ticket anyways) it will probably be a while before they allow people to link alternative tickets to their accounts.
Although, considering how cryptic they've been about MyMagic+ thus far, I have a feeling that if it is released by April, it won't be advertised enough to actually be competitive by then.

I suppose it's possible that they may put us in "line" based on when we checked in, but even that I feel is a bit far fetched. I just wish they would let us know more about it.:headache:

Have any of you been doing on line check in?? I wasn't going to, but I am kind of thinking the check in will be tied into MyMagic+ if it rolls out before our trip. Has everyone been able to do it ok with the new website??? My check in is on Monday, I think.

What has been the experience with the new system?

You can do online check in at 60 days. Buuuut, when you're logging into the website it needs to show your count at 59. Once you're there, you'll see the option to do online check in. I tried it earlier this week and it got stuck at step 2 (giving my cc info). I tried it with Chrome, Safari, and IE. None worked. So I did online Chat help. The CM gave me a link to the OLD online check in site. I did it and it worked fine. When I checked back to the new site and MDE, the Check In Online link had changed to Modify Online Check In. So it was comforting that the old site and new site are linked . . . at least in that way.

There was no option for FASTPASSPlus. A few posts back somebody expressed concern about being tied into FASTPASSPlus. It seems so far that Disney has been very very clear that it will be optional. You won't need to use it if you don't want to.

We will be headed to WDW in April. We will leave to make the long 16+ hour trek early on April 20. We will spend the 21st and 22nd at the ocean. Then we will travel to Disney on the morning of the 23rd for 3 park days. We will spend 3 nights at Old Key West resort.

This will be the first time in Disney for my DH and the kids, and I haven't been there since the mid 90's. I am super excited! My in-laws are going with us, and they were there at Epcot in spring 2012. My adult age step-son will also be with us, for his first Disney trip.

The job of planning out our park days has been put on me. Just counted this morning, and realizing that we will leave for vacation in 64 days....UGH!! Can you say "OVERWHELMED!"

Very excited though! ::MickeyMo

Looking at doing it this way:
April 23: Epcot, on arrival day
April 24: HS
April 25: MK (because there is no MSEP on the 24th, will probably do MK this day, even though it is listed as the park to avoid for this day?? With crowd levels at 5, should we plan to avoid it and miss out on MSEP??)
April 26: Enjoy the morning at the resort, then start the trip back home

April 25: MK (because there is no MSEP on the 24th, will probably do MK this day, even though it is listed as the park to avoid for this day?? With crowd levels at 5, should we plan to avoid it and miss out on MSEP??)

i think a 5 is low enough to ignore what they say. they have to make *something* the park to Avoid...doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a terrible day there.

You can do online check in at 60 days. Buuuut, when you're logging into the website it needs to show your count at 59. Once you're there, you'll see the option to do online check in. I tried it earlier this week and it got stuck at step 2 (giving my cc info). I tried it with Chrome, Safari, and IE. None worked. So I did online Chat help. The CM gave me a link to the OLD online check in site. I did it and it worked fine. When I checked back to the new site and MDE, the Check In Online link had changed to Modify Online Check In. So it was comforting that the old site and new site are linked . . . at least in that way.

There was no option for FASTPASSPlus. A few posts back somebody expressed concern about being tied into FASTPASSPlus. It seems so far that Disney has been very very clear that it will be optional. You won't need to use it if you don't want to.

Just about everything Disney does is optional. That doesn't mean it won't benefit you to do it.
All signs point to the new system eventually replacing the old system, which means that if you want to be able to use FP, you'll need to use the new system.
I don't mind the new system, I just don't want to get stuck in a transitional phase while they try to work out the kinks. If I am going to get stuck there, I want plenty of notice, so I can adjust my touring plans accordingly.

We will be headed to WDW in April. We will leave to make the long 16+ hour trek early on April 20. We will spend the 21st and 22nd at the ocean. Then we will travel to Disney on the morning of the 23rd for 3 park days. We will spend 3 nights at Old Key West resort.

This will be the first time in Disney for my DH and the kids, and I haven't been there since the mid 90's. I am super excited! My in-laws are going with us, and they were there at Epcot in spring 2012. My adult age step-son will also be with us, for his first Disney trip.

The job of planning out our park days has been put on me. Just counted this morning, and realizing that we will leave for vacation in 64 days....UGH!! Can you say "OVERWHELMED!"

Your plan looks fine. The reason behind MK being the park to avoid for that day is because it has MSEP, which draws extra crowds. As such, it's really preference base. I'm not a parade person, so I would probably skip MK that day, or plan to tour the park during the parade.
It's unfortunate that you have to skip a park, especially one that none of you have ever been to before. If you can fit the Animal Kingdom in, then I think you really should, even if it's just for a few hours. I love it there.

Also, depending on how early you start, you'll likely find substantial lines at Epcot in the afternoon on your arrival day at the headlining attractions. There's not really a way to avoid this with such little time though.

Hi Sam, added you to the PTR post. You are the one that said on FB about going to college down there next year, right? Where are you going? I met a young man who will be attending Full Sail (I think that is the way it is spelled -- doubt that it would Fool Sale ;) ) next year.

I'm going to Rollins College, which is in the same town (Winter Park)! I know a bunch of people going to Full Sail next year as well. They're a nice school as well. :)

i think a 5 is low enough to ignore what they say. they have to make *something* the park to Avoid...doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a terrible day there.

Thank you...I was thinking along those lines, but can't picture what a level 5 crowd will look like!

Your plan looks fine. The reason behind MK being the park to avoid for that day is because it has MSEP, which draws extra crowds. As such, it's really preference base. I'm not a parade person, so I would probably skip MK that day, or plan to tour the park during the parade.
It's unfortunate that you have to skip a park, especially one that none of you have ever been to before. If you can fit the Animal Kingdom in, then I think you really should, even if it's just for a few hours. I love it there.

Also, depending on how early you start, you'll likely find substantial lines at Epcot in the afternoon on your arrival day at the headlining attractions. There's not really a way to avoid this with such little time though.

We haven't completely ruled out visiting AK for part of the HS day. My in-laws are footing most of the bill as a big family gift, and got a plan for 3 park days, so we are planning within what we have. We go to zoos regularly, and dh is not really into seeing the shows there, so we tentatively decided that if we need to skip one, that will be the one. We will see, though, once we are there!

We are planning to be at Epcot by 10 AM on our first day there, so hoping to get in some of the attractions in Future world before heading through World Showcase. Of particular interest by members in our group are Turtle Talk with Crush/The Seas with Nemo, Soarin', the Agent P missions (at least 1), and Illuminations, along with just enjoying the different countries. Anything else we may do beyond those is just icing on the cake!

We know that with limited time there we can't even come close to seeing everything...but we hope to still have a wonderful time! :earboy2:

Mousemommy1 said:
Have any of you been doing on line check in?? I wasn't going to, but I am kind of thinking the check in will be tied into MyMagic+ if it rolls out before our trip. Has everyone been able to do it ok with the new website??? My check in is on Monday, I think.

What has been the experience with the new system?

I did ours right as soon as I was able and all went fine. We have two rooms on separate reservations so I had trouble at first figuring out how to get to the second reservation. Once I figured that out I was able to complete both rooms. For POFQ we had several room request options to choose from (corner room - near transportation - first floor etc) but you caould only select two. It also gave me the option to attach a CC to the reservation. It would not take my CC info so I proceeded without that. We can do it when we get there I guess but we may not even do that this trip now that I have had time to think about it. We find it too easy to spend when we can just hand over our room key. I saved a PDF of my confirmation screen to print out and take with us.

cgulls said:

Do you have that link to the old site???

I don't know if it matters, but POFQ has elevators in every building, so the stairs aren't a huge issue. My only request is a corner room, and somehow I doubt that's listed on the online check-in options. The only time we've done online check-in our options were ground floor room, pack and play, close to elevator etc. Basically all the "normal" requests.

Yes! Corner rooms are one of the four choices available for POFQ. The others are first floor, second floor, and close to transportation. Nothing at all about pack and play or elevator.

And yes, I know each building has an elevator, but when we were in Building 5 just steps away from the main building, it did not make sense to walk all the way to the other end of the building (by the river) to use the elevator, so we used the steps. The following trip, when our room was again in building 5 but this time along the river, we still used the steps most of the time. They really are easy steps and it actually felt good after walking all day to move my legs up and down instead of back and forth, if that makes sense.

As per the discount, there are plenty of people who pay full price for their rooms, because that's what they want. Have you tried pricing it with the Spring discount though? It should be good for around 25% and you probably can stick with POFQ. You can probably have your AAA TA book it for you, or you can have them cancel what you have now, and book it yourself. The only caveat is that you may have to cancel your current reservation which would mean a refund of what you've already paid and a new deposit. If you're one of the people who has already paid off their vacation, it could be frustrating.

I've called several times and there is no discount available to us. The spring discount excluded POFQ (and yes, I have read on here that some people have been given the spring discount at POFQ but every person I've talked to there says that POFQ is excluded :confused3 ) I did not book through AAA but rather directly with Disney. After all the horror stories I've heard of AAA TA's not knowing their stuff, there was no way I'd hand over my reservation to them! Our reservation is room-only and was made in 2011 for our 2012 trip which was rescheduled to 2013, still with the same reservation number. I've had tickets since 2011 and we don't like the DDP, so a package is not something we'd consider. Plus, we can cancel just a few days before our trip without penalty since it is room-only and aren't required to pay anything more than our deposit until we check in.

The Armed Forces Salute discount is 35% for the Moderates, and 40% for the Deluxes. Even so, it would have been an extra $800 to stay at the Wilderness Lodge for this trip, which is why we stuck with POFQ.

Wilderness Lodge is beautiful but I just can't imagine paying so much to stay there. It is still cheaper for us to be at POFQ than any of the deluxes with the discount. Have you stayed at Shades of Green? My sister stayed there ten years ago and is now in the thinking-about-another-trip stage.

We'll be getting the Armed Forces Salute tickets, and while it's likely I'll actually purchase them in advance this time (we have to drop by ITR to get DH his free Universal ticket anyways) it will probably be a while before they allow people to link alternative tickets to their accounts.
Although, considering how cryptic they've been about MyMagic+ thus far, I have a feeling that if it is released by April, it won't be advertised enough to actually be competitive by then.

I suppose it's possible that they may put us in "line" based on when we checked in, but even that I feel is a bit far fetched. I just wish they would let us know more about it.:headache:

Has your family participated in the flag retreat at MK? My sister knew nothing about this so yesterday I went online to find a video to send her and found a fantastic video on youtube from Dec. 2012. I've told her that on their next trip they really need to do this. (My sister served in Desert Storm and her dh will be retiring from the AF within a year or so.)

I had a terrible time yesterday with online check in. they now REQUIRE a credit card link of you want to do online check in. You can just do regular check in if you dont want a cc on file, but I called , and there is no way to do online check in and not link a card. Also you have to assign a pin to every person in the party for charging purpose now. So I am pretty sure something will be in place by the time we are there. We are cash people and don't charge to the room, and dont want a card linked so not happy at all. Two years ago had a call from front desk to come down and give a credit card because we had a refrigerator and needed to pay for it( asmu). They left it in our room from the guests before. She told me if we had a card on file they would have already charged it. We didn't request it and I can just imagine how hard it would have been to fight that charge after we got home and saw the charge. So I pay with Disney gift cards and don't even give them a number any more. So will probably do regular check in.

Hmm, when I did online check-in, it refused my credit card (even though that is the one the reservation is on) but I was able to continue to move through the check-in process to the end. And I did not have to assign PINs either. We too prefer cash. I've been saving my weekly allowance leftovers since Dec. 2010. When we travel, I will split the money up so that it isn't all in one place.

Are you by chance driving from PA? Our drive is also 16+ hours. We spend one night on the road. Our route is 81-77-26-95-4.

We will be in EP on the 23rd in the evening. We have an ADR at Le Cellier that night.

We will be in DHS on the 24th in the morning. Lunch ADR at 50s Prime Time.

We will be in MK on the 25th in the morning. No ADR that day though.

You do have your ADRs made, right? :)

I'm not worrying about the crowd numbers. I choose an AM EMH park for the morning and non-PM EMH park for the evening. Afternoons are spent in the room.

We haven't completely ruled out visiting AK for part of the HS day. My in-laws are footing most of the bill as a big family gift, and got a plan for 3 park days, so we are planning within what we have. We go to zoos regularly, and dh is not really into seeing the shows there, so we tentatively decided that if we need to skip one, that will be the one. We will see, though, once we are there!

We are planning to be at Epcot by 10 AM on our first day there, so hoping to get in some of the attractions in Future world before heading through World Showcase. Of particular interest by members in our group are Turtle Talk with Crush/The Seas with Nemo, Soarin', the Agent P missions (at least 1), and Illuminations, along with just enjoying the different countries. Anything else we may do beyond those is just icing on the cake!

We know that with limited time there we can't even come close to seeing everything...but we hope to still have a wonderful time! :earboy2:

Do you have Park Hoppers on your tickets? If not, then you won't be able to do two different parks in the same day.

AK is not at all like a zoo. If you go expecting a zoo, you will be surprised by AK. And the Festival of the Lion King show is amazing. Beauty and the Beast in DHS is a show but FOTLK is an experience. To me, AK is a park to be slowly savored.

SO I have been creeping the last couple of weeks since I started thinking about planning a "last minute" trip to the mouse. FINALLY today I joined. Due to my husband being a teacher that also does summer school and camps we are limited to when we can go. Last time we went in July, 5 years ago which was INSANE, hot, sticky and completely crazy busy. THis year we are doing April 3-9, which i know is still a busy time but we are going for longer and it wont be as hot. We have DD9, DS5 Ds2. We are going to relax in the morning and head to parks mostly in the afternoons and stay until the evenings. So we fly in the 3rd, our flight in is around 11AM. What are suggestions for that first afternoon evening that will be somewhat low key, as we will be getting the kids up at 4AM for a flight (it's their first time flying and a surprise that we are even going). We are staying at CSR. Last time was the Beach Club but we got a great deal last time,,, hoping that Beach Club didn't ruin us for other properties. ;)

SO I have been creeping the last couple of weeks since I started thinking about planning a "last minute" trip to the mouse. FINALLY today I joined. Due to my husband being a teacher that also does summer school and camps we are limited to when we can go. Last time we went in July, 5 years ago which was INSANE, hot, sticky and completely crazy busy. THis year we are doing April 3-9, which i know is still a busy time but we are going for longer and it wont be as hot. We have DD9, DS5 Ds2. We are going to relax in the morning and head to parks mostly in the afternoons and stay until the evenings. So we fly in the 3rd, our flight in is around 11AM. What are suggestions for that first afternoon evening that will be somewhat low key, as we will be getting the kids up at 4AM for a flight (it's their first time flying and a surprise that we are even going). We are staying at CSR. Last time was the Beach Club but we got a great deal last time,,, hoping that Beach Club didn't ruin us for other properties. ;)

Added you to the first post. Welcome to the DIS!

I laughed at your name. We have friends that refer to their kids as Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3 (which happened to be a Disney souvenir) and then they went to Disney again and Thing 4 arrived nine months later. They are talking another Disney trip and of course they are getting teased.

Hi all!

I can't believe it! We just booked a royal room at POR for Apr 14-22!

We went to POR last October and fell in love. We were looking to go back in Sept this year, but decided this morning to look at prices and they were too reasonable to pass up! Notice I said reasonable and not cheap! Haha!

I really want to do the on line check in so I can make some requests but I have some questions. If anyone knows...

Do you need to be paid in full?
I keep seeing conflicting info about the CC thing, I would rather not link a CC just because of security reasons, anyone know for sure about that?

I guess I can just try it and see what happens? 66 more days!! :cool1:

My replies are in red. (As if that wasn't obvious.)

Originally Posted by ambiancetc
Oh look a thread for everyone going in April count us in! Is it sad that I have a dining spreadsheet? How we're saving spreadsheet and custom calendars showing park times with crowd level overlay? Any one want to critique my itinerary?

No, what's sad is that you've done all that but only have 14 posts! Where have you been hiding? You are obviously Disney addicted! If you join the FB April 2013 group (link in first post) you could post your spreadsheets for all to see.

I've been hiding behind all these spreadsheets!:rotfl: I'll have to check out the April FB page. :thumbsup2

I really want to do the on line check in so I can make some requests but I have some questions. If anyone knows...

Do you need to be paid in full?
I keep seeing conflicting info about the CC thing, I would rather not link a CC just because of security reasons, anyone know for sure about that?

I guess I can just try it and see what happens? 66 more days!! :cool1:

I checked in online without being paid in full....did so after the fact. I'm not sure about the CC thing. I linked mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter