Official all things Princess Half Weekend 2015 thread! DOoneY and offical mErcH on DisneyParksBLOg

@gabbyb - they did have emergency bib pick-up the morning of the marathon in January (my friend's husband had to use it). Make sure to bring your photo ID and waiver with you.

I survived the 10K and with a time I was happy with.

Kept telling myself to slow down and save something for tomorrow!

Did the 10k this AM. This was my first Princess race and my third rD race. A few thoughts:

-Overall I had a great time & hope to do the GSC next year. Support staff and volunteers were awesome! Plenty of water stops and the parts of the race inside the park were especially magical.

-I was surprised by the total absence of princesses on the course! Aside from Minnie in her princess dress, the few characters on the course had nothing to do with the race theme. They did have Anna & Elsa up on the overpass before mile one, but I don't necessarily count that as a character photo meet & greet. Later, I saw on social media that several princesses were at the after-race breakfast (which of course is an additional event for an additional fee). I admit I was annoyed because it seems that unless you're doing the half or one of the special event meals, rD doesn't seem too concerned with actually having Princesses out on the course. Since that's the whole theme of the race, I expected to see several princess out for photo ops.

-This is my first 10k in WDW. I guess I should've paid closer attention to the course map, but I thought that more of the course was actually within Epcot, as opposed to backstage. Again, I enjoyed the race but I was a little surprised at how little time we were actually in the park. I think having run my first 10k at Disneyland has me a little spoiled for in-park running time!

-I was surprised by the total absence of princesses on the course! Aside from Minnie in her princess dress, the few characters on the course had nothing to do with the race theme. They did have Anna & Elsa up on the overpass before mile one, but I don't necessarily count that as a character photo meet & greet. Later, I saw on social media that several princesses were at the after-race breakfast (which of course is an additional event for an additional fee). I admit I was annoyed because it seems that unless you're doing the half or one of the special event meals, rD doesn't seem too concerned with actually having Princesses out on the course. Since that's the whole theme of the race, I expected to see several princess out for photo ops
It was like this when I did the half in 2011, too. I met Princess Atta on the course and no other princesses.

I don't know if it's because you, the runner, are supposed to be the princess that day or what... :confused:

Anyone know where I could find my 5k time? I've been looking everywhere! Also, good luck to all running in the half!

Why does the live feed show so little actual feed and mostly scrolls through the same pics ? Is that normal ?

Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Luckily I was in corral A, so the time I saw displayed should be close to actual. Still, it was my first 5k, so it would have been nice to have something as reference for future races. Thanks for the info though.

Wow, that's pretty disappointing. Luckily I was in corral A, so the time I saw displayed should be close to actual. Still, it was my first 5k, so it would have been nice to have something as reference for future races. Thanks for the info though.
Congrats on finishing your first 5K though!! :) That's pretty awesome!

Quick notes on half...
--they had fewer photos ops in MK and I heard some grumbling when I was out and about this afternoon
--thank goodness the weather wasn't so hot
-- the real surprise was how many people wanted pictures of me and my son or with us...we were Mary Poppins and Bert, full costumn
--the volunteers are always awesome

Quick notes on half...
--they had fewer photos ops in MK and I heard some grumbling when I was out and about this afternoon
--thank goodness the weather wasn't so hot
-- the real surprise was how many people wanted pictures of me and my son or with us...we were Mary Poppins and Bert, full costumn
--the volunteers are always awesome

I think they have had less character photo ops since that 10k where a lot of people got swept. Less photo ops means the runners would keep moving forward.

Loved the volunteers!

Spot checks of bibs inside the corral was new to me. A few people who thought they were safe sneaking past the volunteers were booted from my corral.

Boo to the people who cut the course.

Loved the people who stayed to cheer for everyone, even in the heat.

It has been a great week!

Just in time for the Half... I slammed the car door right into my face yesterday. I'll be running with a spectacular black eye and swollen face. If you see me, say hi! If I had time, I'd assemble a pirate's costume to go with the look lol

Oh, Apple, you poor thing. Hope you're healing up.

Yes I did go through the picture line. I'm hoping that's where the difference comes in. I wish I had thought to ask why we were doing that this year, but I didn't. I had the whole family with me and my daughter really was anxious to get her stuff. Totally forgot about the wristband from last year until we're back at the hotel.

For Goofy and Dopey this year it was pictures, no wristband at all. Imagine it's the same.

It was an awful race for me. My GPS watch took forever to get a signal and then inexplicably died in the first mile. My phone was gobbling up the battery so I couldn't switch to a running app there. I was really slow, could not find a rhythm with my hip and whatever muscle goes down the back of your leg(I'm a nurse, I should know these things) and not knowing how fast I was going made it difficult to pace myself. Long story short, I got swept between miles 10 and 11.

I never even saw the balloon ladies pass us and I never stopped anywhere, I must have been applying Biofreeze or something. The only warning we got was a few minutes before, that we were 30 seconds behind. My pace was very slow, 18 minute/mile, but starting at the beginning of M, I thought I had enough cushion. They pulled the police car over about 20 seconds in front of my, just near the overpass. I was devastated, I just stood there and cried.

I did learn a few lessons--one, don't travel with family for a family vacation in conjunction with this. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, just to people like my who traveled with a granddaughter who demands a lot of my attention and a daughter with no interest in running (although she's very supportive). My granddaughter did the kid's race and fell halfway and really banged up both knees and her elbow, so we had lots of drama that day and little sleep the night before the half. If I were fast enough not to have to worry about being swept, none of this would be a problem, but I've been battling this hip for months and really wasn't as well trained as I was last year.

There were tons of people behind me, so I can't imagine how many people got swept. Two buses full at my stop.

Not a fun experience, don't know if I have the heart to do it again next year.

It was an awful race for me. My GPS watch took forever to get a signal and then inexplicably died in the first mile. My phone was gobbling up the battery so I couldn't switch to a running app there. I was really slow, could not find a rhythm with my hip and whatever muscle goes down the back of your leg(I'm a nurse, I should know these things) and not knowing how fast I was going made it difficult to pace myself. Long story short, I got swept between miles 10 and 11.

I never even saw the balloon ladies pass us and I never stopped anywhere, I must have been applying Biofreeze or something. The only warning we got was a few minutes before, that we were 30 seconds behind. My pace was very slow, 18 minute/mile, but starting at the beginning of M, I thought I had enough cushion. They pulled the police car over about 20 seconds in front of my, just near the overpass. I was devastated, I just stood there and cried.

I did learn a few lessons--one, don't travel with family for a family vacation in conjunction with this. Obviously, this doesn't apply to everyone, just to people like my who traveled with a granddaughter who demands a lot of my attention and a daughter with no interest in running (although she's very supportive). My granddaughter did the kid's race and fell halfway and really banged up both knees and her elbow, so we had lots of drama that day and little sleep the night before the half. If I were fast enough not to have to worry about being swept, none of this would be a problem, but I've been battling this hip for months and really wasn't as well trained as I was last year.

There were tons of people behind me, so I can't imagine how many people got swept. Two buses full at my stop.

My heart goes out to you. I'm sorry for your experience and hope you will find your inner princess to try again if your heart desires. I'm proud of you for being out there and making it to mile 10.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I hope your hip and legs recover & your next race (where ever it may be) is a better experience.

I'm so sorry that it was a bad race for you. I hope you find it in you to try again under different conditions :hug:

I raced with my baby sister this year, who is 19 years younger than me, and my twisted ankle from last weeks runs :sad2: and it was so swollen and sore...I was feeling pretty old and out of shape by the end, but we finished and were able to stop for several of the characters and the glass slipper guys. Not the time we wanted, but we did what we set out to do and we had fun being together.

We were at the top of the overpass when we saw the police cars and buses had pulled up to block the road below and my heart just broke for everyone who had made it so far. 10+ miles is quite the journey so be proud that you made it so far under adverse conditions!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter