Official 2016 Princess Half Marathon Thread

Registered for the 5k (which I will mostly be walking with my parents I think) and am now thinking about the 10k through Children's Miracle Hospitals. Anyone run through them before? These will be my first races and I'm just beginning to run and train as I was never a runner. I'll be using these as motivation!

Sitting here debating on pulling the trigger on the 5K. I keep telling myself to that I already have a room booked Thu-Mon and it's ONLY 3.1 miles LOL!!!

I'm not going to say it's no big deal, because any distance is a big deal. I will say that it is much less pressure and definitely doable. It is not timed, so you could definitely walk it if you don't feel comfortable running. If you're already going to be there, I say go for it! It's a lot of fun!

I'm not going to say it's no big deal, because any distance is a big deal. I will say that it is much less pressure and definitely doable. It is not timed, so you could definitely walk it if you don't feel comfortable running. If you're already going to be there, I say go for it! It's a lot of fun!

I'm already signed up for the GSC. I keep trying to convince my soon to be 10yo DD to do it (5K), but she won't. She only wants to do the kids 1 mile.

I'm already signed up for the GSC. I keep trying to convince my soon to be 10yo DD to do it (5K), but she won't. She only wants to do the kids 1 mile.

Well, given how cold it was last year for the Princess (and the January 5K as well, which my hubby and son participated in and they met hundreds of their new best friends to huddle with because it was freezing and, unlike a month later with Princess, the staff REFUSED to hand out the space blankets! so many cold cold cold kids), I probably agree with her choice! :)

I see! I'd still say go for it! I've done all 3 twice now!

I did all three races last year. I am skipping the 5K this year. Too many early early days in a row. The 5K was fun, though. Might be worth it if one of your kids wants to run with you.

I'm doing all three races at Star Wars - so we are only doing the 2 at Princess.

Last year was so cold! We went to Downtown Disney on Friday morning. DD and I were in our winter jackets, hats and gloves. DS was too cool to dress warm and wore only a hoodie over his t-shirt and then said later "you were right mom. i should have dressed warmer." I couldn't believe all the people shivering in shorts and flip flops. The morning of the 10K I parked my butt in front of one of the heaters and didn't move until it was close to race time.

Last year was so cold! We went to Downtown Disney on Friday morning. DD and I were in our winter jackets, hats and gloves. DS was too cool to dress warm and wore only a hoodie over his t-shirt and then said later "you were right mom. i should have dressed warmer." I couldn't believe all the people shivering in shorts and flip flops. The morning of the 10K I parked my butt in front of one of the heaters and didn't move until it was close to race time.

It was ridiculously cold! I think it was the humidity that made it worse, because I have definitely run in colder temperatures without any issues or even a jacket. It took me hours to warm up after the 5K.

It was cold in January too. Tough for waiting around for the races to start, but once the actual running part began I thought it was perfect!...

...having said that I am definitely packing lots of layers for February, whatever the forecast says. :eek:

It was cold in January too. Tough for waiting around for the races to start, but once the actual running part began I thought it was perfect!...

...having said that I am definitely packing lots of layers for February, whatever the forecast says. :eek:

A sure-fire way to guarantee warm weather

Speaking of all this cold weather, those of you who have ran this before, or something similar, what do you suggest for layers? Being fairly new to running, I’ve never ran outside in weather that could be as cold as it was this past Feb. What do you suggest to wear (I know everyone is different) and once you “warm up” what is the layer you end up running most of the race in? I see lots of pictures in people in tanks or short sleeved tees. Is that realistic? And then…when you shed layers, you just take them off an toss them, is that how it works? I’d imagine these layers are items you don’t expect to get back?

Speaking of all this cold weather, those of you who have ran this before, or something similar, what do you suggest for layers? Being fairly new to running, I’ve never ran outside in weather that could be as cold as it was this past Feb. What do you suggest to wear (I know everyone is different) and once you “warm up” what is the layer you end up running most of the race in? I see lots of pictures in people in tanks or short sleeved tees. Is that realistic? And then…when you shed layers, you just take them off an toss them, is that how it works? I’d imagine these layers are items you don’t expect to get back?

This past February I ran the 5k & 10k and it was FREEZING! I'm from Boston where we got an usual amount of snow/cold weather this year and it was SO cold. I originally planned to run in a tank and running shorts but bring a throw away hoodie sweatshirt and gloves with me to wear while we wait for the start. It was so cold both mornings that I kept my hoodie on both days! The 10k I was sweaty making my hoodie wet and chilly but I couldn't bring myself to take it off. I did take off my gloves and put them on the side of the road. The clothes that people 'throw-away' are collected, washed and donated to charity. I'm also very thankful that right before I left my house for the airport, I threw in a pair of long running pants which helped keep me warm. I'd say pack for both types of weather so you're prepared and not caught off guard!

Two quick questions about POT for the Half...
  1. What time do I need from a 10k race to use as POT that will put me in Corral F or higher? I'm hoping to finish around the 2 hr mark but at max want to say 2:15:00
  2. What link do you need for the race you are submitting POT? Is it the link to the results page or the race? I want to make sure I have all my stuff organized.
TIA!

So, I wasn't there this past February, but I was there in January. During the January 5K there was a windchill warning with temperatures in the 30s, so I feel like I can contribute to this. :)

Like I said above, waiting for the race to start was the toughest part for me. I'm not sure how much you have looked into the timing of the races yet, but Disney wants participants to get to the race staging area pretty early before the races begin. For example - I was there at 5:30 for the 6:30 start.

So I had on 3 layers for the 5K. The base layer was a pair of fleece-lined leggings (sort of thinner fleece) that I had gotten from Walgreen's ($7) and a long-sleeved running top (tech/moisture-wicking material). Second layer was my originally planned main running outfit - a running skirt and a short-sleeved running top (again, both moisture-wicking).

So this is that outfit (kind of dark but you get the idea):
16126044569_b581c875d3_z.jpg

Layer #3 was a pair of old pajama pants and an old hooded sweatshirt.
16086867507_6f0a6384d3_z.jpg

This was the "tossed" layer you referenced above - yes, whatever you toss (unless you toss to a friend/family member) should be something you don't want to keep. Disney gathers up tossed items, launders them and donates them to charity. I have seen people show up in old sweats (like I did), bathrobes, wrapped in blankets, etc. You could probably find good throwaway clothes at your local Goodwill or whatever. Anyway, I kept the hoodie/pj pants on until right before my corral started, because I knew once I started running I would be too hot in them. The one thing I didn't have with me that I wish I would have (and is definitely on the list for future runDisney races) was a cheap pair of gloves - like those pairs you can get at Target for $1-$2. I would have kept those on for a bit longer if I'd had them. The best thing was having the hood on the sweatshirt, which helped block out the wind. The general rule of thumb when it comes to running is to dress for conditions 15-20 degrees warmer than what the temperature is, because if you overdress you'll overheat and be miserable.

In general I fared a lot better than others during that weekend, I think. I'm a crazy overpacker and had brought throwaway clothes for all 4 races - including 3 pairs of those $7 leggings - so I definitely had enough to work with. The leggings originally weren't part of my running outfits, but because I had extra pairs I could use one for the 5K (which I then re-wore for throwaway clothes during the marathon). And since I'm from NE Ohio I thought the temperatures were pretty good once the actual running part started.

This was the first Disney race I've ever done where I had to wear long sleeves and "pants," so yeah, tanks/short sleeves are, in my experience, normal but not guaranteed.

Hooray for overpacking! And sorry for writing a novel! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter