Official 2016 Dopey Challenge Thread

I'm hoping to do my first Dopey in 2016 and I'm fairly confident if I get there on the first day, I'll be good to go. My concern is hotels and making sure I get a decent price on hotels. Have they posted the dates for next year's marathon weekend already for booking rooms?
Marathon Weekend 2016 is scheduled for January 6-10, with the events starting on the 7th with the 5k.

RunDisney_calendar.jpg

Last edited:
DH is more than thinking about it-he's already training for it. Ever since he did the F&W half marathon a few years ago, he's on the mailing list. But considering how fast the F&W half sold out this year, he's pretty nervous about getting in. Since we have APs and are DVC, what are the dates for that registration? He's 64 yo, so he sees this as a once and done experience.
Early registration is April 14... :thumbsup2

runDisney%20Early%20Registration%20Schedule.jpg

Thanks so much for that info! Does anyone know how/where to register early if you're DVC?

Thanks so much for that info! Does anyone know how/where to register early if you're DVC?

There should be a link once you log into your DVC members page. The link won't become active until around noon on the day early registration opens and will stop working if/when all the early registration AP & DVC spots have been sold.

Also remember that once early registration opens for AP & DVC members, the charities open up spots. I'm planning on my next Dopey being 2018. That's the 5 year Dopey anniversary and 25 year Full anniversary. SOOOO I want to guarantee a spot and not being AP or DVC, I might as well raise a lot of money for a worthy charity. :)

Also as far as rumors go - it makes literally no sense to cancel the Dopey Challenge. Not only do they charge a premium over the cost of all 4 races individually, it is also the first to sell out. The one at risk in my mind would be the goofy. The addition of the 10k added a reasonably large number of non runners aspiring to do their first race - very few people are willing to travel for a 5k, but will have no issue doing one if they're already travelling for someone else. Prior to Dopey the 5k's were small and very low key. The vast majority of people I meet running the 5k's are Dopey's. The 10k is a bit more balanced, and the half and full you get your good mix of goofy's and single race runners.

I don't think the logistics of Dopey are that much harder than that of goofy minus the vast increase in the size of the 5k. And yes I will admit being a corral A runner we finished before hte last corrals even started in the 5k and 10k, so waiting for those buses was a little chilly - world's smallest violin right here. Note to self pack sweatshirt. But that was it. Hung out in the handicapped tent to stay out of the wind and ended up helping racers switch out of their wheel chairs, it was actually a really fun ending to the 5k.

So for people afraid this is Dopey's last year - I really wouldn't sweat it. Its making disney plenty extra in race entry fees. In addition its causing you to stay 2 days longer than you would have (at minimum) if you were going for Goofy - so there's even more $$. The challenges have been the biggest change disney implemented over the last year giving basically every race a challenge component which sells out faster than the individual races. I see Dopey sticking around for a while. The one I would worry about however, is Goofy...because running wise its not really any harder than the goofy challenge - so most people who would be willing to sign up for goofy, would sign up for Dopey. The killer is waking up 3am. Every. Single. Morning (Groundhog Day anyone?) And personally I love the Goofy challenge far more - the shirts are way better. I'm just a bright orange person. Really you had to see me skipping to get the bright orange shirt.

yeah when I first heard the rumors I thought it was pretty crazy, I see more people becoming interested in dopey (myself included) not less...so there is no reason for them to do away with it, I get the whole "it takes up 5k and 10k spots from other folks" but I really don't see RunDisney having an issue with that, as long as the spots are filled I wouldnt think they would have an issue with how that happens, I think we can all agree that of all the race weekends Marathon weekend is definitely the one that is geared more toward the serious runners rather than those looking to just have fun, not to say that those type of folks are not also welcome at Marathon weekend but the atmosphere is more toward the running side of it than say maybe Princess or W&D would be. Not to mention the fact that RunDisney seems intent on adding more challenges rather than less, case in point the just announced Captain America 10k and infinity gauntlet challenge at avengers weekend. I still see them bringing back an October race (either ToT coming back or something replacing it) when the studios overhaul is done and I would be shocked if it doesn't get a challenge to go with it as well. That would leave I think only W&D as the only non challenge weekend and who knows if that wont change either especially given how fast that thing blew up this year

There should be a link once you log into your DVC members page. The link won't become active until around noon on the day early registration opens and will stop working if/when all the early registration AP & DVC spots have been sold.

I just checked the DVC Member's page, and didn't see anything about it. Does it no being active mean I won't see it until registration day?

I think we can all agree that of all the race weekends Marathon weekend is definitely the one that is geared more toward the serious runners...
Honestly, I don't think runDisney goes out of their way to gear any of their races toward what I think you mean by the "serious runners". They certainly aren't targeting elite runners since they did away with prize money years ago, and while Marathon Weekend might have the fastest half marathon of the runDisney events, it still finds itself among the slowest half marathons in the country. Not terribly surprising for races boasting picture stops all along the way. ;)

The runDisney brand is only about 3-4 years old, generating a social media presence and coinciding with the increased race sales. Most of the promotional materials aren't about "serious runners" competing for speed or prestige at the events. There are runners serious about overcoming challenges and achieving goals featured in the "Why I Run" segments, and certainly many more runners have serious motives for running beyond the characters and fun. But even then it's still more about finishing and an enjoyable experience. Event recaps highlight the costumes and entertainment far more than they do the winners, and they've devoted more videos to the last people to cross the finish line.

I think their target market is more about the casual runners and non-runners who love the Disney brand and who may be looking to start or maintain a healthier lifestyle. It's the serious runners who are "also welcome" to come, but they seem to be the first to feel the pinch of runDisney prices since only the largest and most prestigious of races compare on price.

what I think you mean by the "serious runners".

all I meant by that was people that may be more interested in the actual running more so than the Disney part of it. I would put myself in this category. Obviously RunDisney wants to be all inclusive but if you take a look at how the weekends are themed I would say Marathon Weekend is more about the running but that doesn't mean they don't highlight the Disney aspect as well....that's all I meant

A little different meaning than I took, but I do think they're overall geared toward the Disney fans than straight runners. I'd say Marathon Weekend's lack of theming owes more to it's age (22 years) and preceding the shift in attention to a broader market.

Bringing it back to Dopey, that's where I see the rationale for the rumors about Dopey and the exclusion of new individuals for the shorter events -- particularly the 5k since that's the most introductory level* and no other challenge gobbles up these spots. There's still other options out there to include more individuals for the 5k and 10k, but there could be constraints we aren't aware of which drive it in one direction over another. Time will tell!

*For a participant old enough to have a credit card, IYKWIM...

From reading your messge it sounds like there are a limited number of early entry spots? Is that true? I am neither a DVC or a passport holder, so i am waiting until 4/28 to sign-up. Last year I signed up on opening day at 5pm and was too late to get a Dopey Spot. Really hoping to get one of those spots this year but seeing that DVC and AP holders getting access two weeks sooner is so stressful! Then true or not true abut this being the last year of Dopey can only add more interest.

I am taking 4/28 off and will be sitting in front of a computer at noon ready to go, it would be a great releif to know i have the chance to get a spot. i know, I am stressing! I loved running Goofy last year but I really wanted to give Dopey a try. Hoping it works out.

@Baloo in MI

^yes, limited number of spots for DVC/AP. I've heard something like 10% of spots for early registration but I have no idea if that's correct. But it's definitely a small amount.

I'm biting the bullet on this one, I think. :earseek:

I just started a C25K at the beginning of March, my first 2 races are next month (Austin Cap10K followed 2 weeks later with Biggest Loser Half Marathon in Round Rock), and the registration for WDW Marathon weekend is 2 days after the second race. I want to see what my pace times are from the two races to see if I should try the Dopey, but to be honest I think I already decided to do it when I first signed up for the C25K program :rotfl:

Hey everyone! I’m new to the forum and planning on 2016 being my first Dopey Challenge, nervous and excited about registration day! I’ve already booked flights and part of my accommodation with rented points at Animal Kingdom Lodge but will hopefully be in OKW or POFQ for the actually weekend of the marathon just waiting on the free dining offer to come out for Ireland bookings this month (I’m from Dublin).

I’m so nervous about sign up with how quick W&D sold out! W&D was my first RunDisney event in November 2014 and I loved it, I ran with my Sister and now my Dad is joining us for Dopey as well, celebrating his 50th!

I’m still looking at different training plans to decide what one to go for, at the moment I’m running regularly but with no specific plan, hoping to run a really good 10mile race to get a good qualifying time and coral but apart from that I’m looking at Hal Higdon’s Dopey plan or some variation of it I think.
Anyone know if you can use the AP link before you actually buy your AP pass if you plan on having one? Also wondering what event transportation is like from OKW and POFQ?

Anyone know if you can use the AP link before you actually buy your AP pass if you plan on having one? Also wondering what event transportation is like from OKW and POFQ?

No, you cannot use the AP early registration without having first purchased an AP. As quickly as the AP/DVC early registration slots are snapped up now, I can only imagine how fast they'd go if Disney let people use those links if they had just the intent to buy one. In response to your transportation question, transportation from all the resorts is pretty good all weekend long. Invariably, one resort ends up with a huge bus mess one morning, but for the most part, moving thousands of people on buses on time is something Disney does very well.

No, you cannot use the AP early registration without having first purchased an AP. As quickly as the AP/DVC early registration slots are snapped up now, I can only imagine how fast they'd go if Disney let people use those links if they had just the intent to buy one. In response to your transportation question, transportation from all the resorts is pretty good all weekend long. Invariably, one resort ends up with a huge bus mess one morning, but for the most part, moving thousands of people on buses on time is something Disney does very well.

Thanks for your reply, I figured that would be a long shot, makes sense! Ah ok great, I wasn’t sure if either would have a shared bus over the weekend. I was pretty impressed at W&D with how well Disney managed the crowds, we had no trouble with a bus home as not many people lasted until 4am like us!

As far as resorts are concerned, I thought I read that the Epcot resorts were recommended because after some of the Dopey races that end at Epcot, you can walk thru Epcot to get back to your resort rather than wait for a bus. And that some of the races run by YC/BC, making it a good spot for spectators. True? So is it "wortj" the added points to stay at BCV rather than OKW?

As far as resorts are concerned, I thought I read that the Epcot resorts were recommended because after some of the Dopey races that end at Epcot, you can walk thru Epcot to get back to your resort rather than wait for a bus. And that some of the races run by YC/BC, making it a good spot for spectators. True? So is it "wortj" the added points to stay at BCV rather than OKW?

I would love to stay in an Epcot resort, I’d say it’s so handy for the Dopey challenge and even just in general I’d prefer to try there over OKW but we’re not actually renting points for that part of our stay, we’re booking through the Disney Ireland website which usually offers a significant room discount AND free dining for OKW.

I'm not sure that it's recommended, but that is a perk. ASSUMING you have valid ticket media to enter the park. They won't let you just pass through, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter