Official 2016 5th Anniversary Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

Can anybody answer this question for me? I saw the Neverland 5k is happening on my birthday next year... Now I am by no means a fit person... I see they recommend a certain pace, and if you fall behind you can be picked up and taken to the finish line. Does that mean you WILL be picked up? Or you have the choice to be picked up? I would love to run the course but I may be closer to a 20 minute pace.

Can anybody answer this question for me? I saw the Neverland 5k is happening on my birthday next year... Now I am by no means a fit person... I see they recommend a certain pace, and if you fall behind you can be picked up and taken to the finish line. Does that mean you WILL be picked up? Or you have the choice to be picked up? I would love to run the course but I may be closer to a 20 minute pace.

Technically it means you WILL be picked up at certain points on the course. There's no choice.
That said ... anecdotal evidence suggests that the pacing requirement has not been enforced in the past for the 5K. When I did the Princess 5K in Florida last year, my average pace (including character stops) was pretty close to a 20 minute/mile pace. However, just because they haven't enforced it in the past, doesn't mean that they won't start enforcing it now, so I wouldn't count on being allowed to complete the race at a 20 minute pace.
That said, the race (and your birthday!) is pretty far away, so should you decide to do it, you have time to train and get to that 16 min/mile pace. So if it's something you're interested in doing and you're willing to put in a little time to train, go for it!

*Edited out incorrect info, sorry! :oops:

We saw a lot of walkers for the 5K this year. We were walkers because my BFF hadn't had time to train and we still finished in plenty of time after stopping for all photo ops. I think you'll be fine as long as you arrive early to be in one of the first groups to set out. There really weren't 'corrals' for the 5K.

Last edited:

I believe the 5K is 'Sold Out' for 2016. You can sign up on the RunDisney site for future reminders.

We saw a lot of walkers for the 5K this year. We were walkers because my BFF hadn't had time to train and we still finished in plenty of time after stopping for all photo ops. I think you'll be fine as long as you arrive early to be in one of the first groups to set out. There really weren't 'corrals' for the 5K.

I thought I saw sign ups started August 11th? No?

I say do it! It's so much fun and to do it on your bday... chances are you'll get a shout out; they do that a lot of the times. 2nd what SarahDisney said, they could technically sweep you, but at SW this year, even w/ the wave times I saw somebody finishing after 1:20 from the very start of the race. As long as you're moving forward you should be good. And like SarahDisney also mentioned, you have plenty of time to work on the distance and getting your time down so you're less worried.

Last edited:
OMG I totally forgot AP registration is this morning! I have to register 7 people! This could have been BAD...

Decided i wasn't going to do PDC next year. I did the 5K and PDC this year and it was brutal for me. 3 days of early wake-ups. By Sunday, all I wanted to do was curl up on the pavement and go to sleep. I still ended up beating my PR by quite a bit, but I was a zombie for the entire race. I could not tell you anything about the route or the race to save my life. It's just a big blur.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter