Official 2014 Dopey Challenge Thread!

Actually, run/walk vs run is not really a factor; its a tool or a method of running.

Actually, when I attended his running school, he very clearly said that he would not recommend covering the race distance or beyond to runners who were NOT using walk breaks.

He also said that if a person were able & wanted to run a 5K or 10K without using walk breaks, they should. In face, he suggests that if one uses the walk breaks effectively from the beginning of the race and wants in the final miles to run continuously, they should.

There's a whole lot in his books & running school that doesn't come across in the PDF's RunDisney posts to their website.

Galloway's philosophy is that runners hit the wall at the distance of their long run in the past 2-3 weeks. His plans that go to & past the race distance are meant for those who use his entire training plan, not just look at the distances & go out and run them straight through.

I trained for the 2013 marathon and completed the long runs of 17, 20, 23, 26, and 28 miles, but I did it following his guidelines - I did them 1-2 minutes per mile slower than my planned race pace and I used my plan race run/walk ratio of 90 seconds:30 seconds as I learned when I attended the Galloway running school.

For me, it worked. My half PR is a 2:14 using his methods and I was able to finish the marathon in 5:16, which in that heat & humidity was a successful day for me.

Thanks to all of you who replied, it was helpful to hear from folks that have used his method before. I think I will stick to Higdon though and save my walking for picture stops.

Thanks to all of you who replied, it was helpful to hear from folks that have used his method before. I think I will stick to Higdon though and save my walking for picture stops.

If you're walking at the picture stops you're lucky. Try waiting 15-20 minutes for the more popular characters.

If you're walking at the picture stops you're lucky. Try waiting 15-20 minutes for the more popular characters.

Really? I don't remember waiting more than 5 or 10 minutes and the only character I skipped was golfing Mickey near the courses. Of course that was 2010. Maybe everyone was too cold to stand still : )

I don't think I waited more than 5 minutes for any of them, although DW and I did not stop and wait for Mickey and Minnie at the castle. (The longest wait might have been Ariel right before the castle.

During my first few Disney marathons, I always stopped for characters. I haven't stopped since my first Goofy (funny you mention 2010) not so much b/c of the waits but b/c I stopped running with a camera/phone. Although, I wasn't stopping for anything during the 1/2 in the freezing rain. I experienced long lines for Jack Sparrow, castle in the background shot, Belle just before Fantasyland, Chip & Dale, and Safari Mickey in AK.

How many characters are on the course for the half and full?

I did not stop for everyone, but for the half, I took pics with:
Jack Sparrow
Buzz
Tiana
Mary Poppins and Burt
Green Army Men
Phineas and Ferb
Stitch

and I recall passing up several others because the line was too long.

For the marathon, DW and I have:
Jack Sparrow
Jack and Sally (from Nightmare before Christmas)
Buzz
Ariel
Belle and Beast
Tiana and Naveen
Aurora and Phillip
Mary and Burt
Lilo/Stitch
Country Bears
Christmas characters
Peter & Wendy/Hook & Smee
Jiminy Cricket
Rafiki
Gaston/Maleficent/Jafaar/Evil Queen/Dr Facilier
Pocahontas & John Smith
Baloo and King Louis
Undertakers from Haunted Mansion
Darkwing Duck
Chip & Dale
a bunch of large parade puppets
Frozone (missed Mrs Incredible)
DHS performers
Wreck-It Ralph
Herbie the Love Bug
Mike & Sully
Belle (Epcot)
Jasmine and Alladin (Epcot)
Snow White (Epcot)
Mulan (Epcot)

We did not stop for Mickey & Minnie at the castle (because that line was loooong), and several others, so my lists are not complete.

This is sounding less like a race and more like a character photo gathering expedition.

Note to self: No PR attempts in these races.

This is sounding less like a race and more like a character photo gathering expedition.

Note to self: No PR attempts in these races.

You can totally PR at Disney, weather depending. I have never once had my picture taken with a character during a race. That's not why I'm there.

You can totally PR at Disney, weather depending. I have never once had my picture taken with a character during a race. That's not why I'm there.

I'd need to go sub 4:00 to PR the marathon, which might happen.

But the half I'd have to go 1:38, which definitely ISN'T happening the day before the marathon.

I'm treating the 10K as an easy training run. I may let loose for the 5K though. But I've never had a good 5K race, so why would this be any different? :rotfl:

I could PR on the half (if that was all I was running), or possibly on the full (though the half the day before would make it difficult). I probably won't PR on either the 5k or the 10k - either one is possible, but my PRs on those are good enough that (1) it would take some dedicated effort to bring my times down; and (2) it would really affect the other races.

If I want to PR at any of the distances offered by runDisney, I will do it somewhere else. I can run a local 5k or 10k for a fraction of the price, on a course that I know well, and know to be fairly flat and fast. If I wanted to PR on a half or full, I would travel a bit, but again, runDisney events would not be my first choice - the curses have too many choke points, have the potential to be warmer and more humid than I like for a PR, artificially handicap me, or are in a series of races where a PR attempt on any of them impacts all the other races.

Now, if it is your first race at that distance, it's automatically a PR. :thumbsup2

Ive missed Darkwing Duck the past two years. Im determined to get a picture with him this time around. He was my favorite as a kid.

Interesting to see this. Taking pictures with characters is the only reason I'm there. Other races are for PRs, Disney is one of my fun runs.

Interesting to see this. Taking pictures with characters is the only reason I'm there. Other races are for PRs, Disney is one of my fun runs.

I've also never taken a photo with a character, and as of now, I've done 3 Disney races. My current half marathon PR race is 2012 Wine and Dine, and I wasn't even tempted to stop during that one. We all have different priorities. Beforehand I always think about stopping, but when the decisive moment comes, my feet keep moving. :) I do Disney races because I love running through the parks, I love the medals, and I love the excuse for another Disney vacation!

Oh, but PS, I was looking at that giant list of characters up there, and during the marathon (which will be my first WDW one!), I think I would be tempted to stop if I saw Jack and Sally together! I love them and I've never gotten a photo with them ever! I would also be tempted by Minnie and Mickey in front of the castle, depending on how ginormous the line is. I always just figure I'll play it by ear. :)

I've also never taken a photo with a character, and as of now, I've done 3 Disney races. My current half marathon PR race is 2012 Wine and Dine, and I wasn't even tempted to stop during that one. We all have different priorities. Beforehand I always think about stopping, but when the decisive moment comes, my feet keep moving. :) I do Disney races because I love running through the parks, I love the medals, and I love the excuse for another Disney vacation!

PRing is not a goal at any Disney race for myself and I have no overwhelming feelings regarding medals, character stops or going through the Parks. DW and I enjoy WDW and including a race when we visit is simply a bonus.

My only required stop is McDonald's for my M&M McFlurry. This year's Marathon was my first opportunity for the stop and as long as Disney continues with this course I will continue to stop, even if a 2010 weather condition exists.

McFlurry John

I didn't stop for any characters during my first half in 2009. I really regretted it after the race. I did the Goofy in 2010 and I stood in line for everyone in the sleet. The way I see it, I don't travel all that way and spend all that money NOT to enjoy everything disney offers.

The courses are so crowded that trying to PR would stress me out anyway. My first over 3 hour half was DL, because there were so many choke points on the course. I would have been super annoyed if I had been going for a great time, but since I was just in it for fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter