Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

I'm not running the race this year, but DH and I did it last year, and I love following this thread. I'm really curious how it will compare to last year. I'm hoping they tweak it from feedback, and if so, we'll be back, I'd love to do it with my DD16.

Just wanted to say, they did have a few food venues open! We ate at the Backlot Express. They have some decent options, burgers, salads. I had a veggie panini and it hit the spot. They also had food trucks before the race in the staging area, but believe me, the food options were nothing a runner would eat pre-race :) After the race, heck yeah!
They also had quite a few bars set up during the party with beer and drinks. It was almost easier finding alcohol than it was water. That could be a good thing...or not!

Bumbershoot...I love Honey Stinger Waffles! They are great for me during races. Easy to eat and a fair amount from energy from them. I use them with Sport Beans for some electrolytes. I love the Honey Stinger chews, but they very much don't agree with my stomach.

So excited for everyone doing ToT!

Ooh, veggie panini, that sounds SO good. As does beer. :)

From what I understand, after the finish line we'll be given medals and some water and sports drink and then we still have to walk a ways to get our bags and then meet up with our families? If that's right, I can imagine just drinking that water and possibly sports drink while walking along (probably crying, too, LOL). And then, recharged, meet the family, change, and HOPEFULLY have some fun! As long as the hubby remembers my Crocs...when he met me after my 11 mile run on Friday he hadn't brought other shoes. Since we met at the Y I was able to shower and change, but then I noticed that I had to put the Asics back on...I was very unhappy about that! :)

The HS chews feel, to me, like nothing but sugar. I was OK with them but they didn't feel like they did much for me. I use sports beans, too (was it Ann or DOOM that mentioned them first? don't know, but thank you!) and also the 3x sodium margarita ShotBloks.

Oh no, now I'm talking about electrolyte replacements again, LOL....don't get me started! Love those things!

Question for those who have run before. I will be staying at the boardwalk. The night of the race, is it easy to just walk to the start or take the bus? Also what time should we be leaving the hotel to get to the start?

Question for those who have run before. I will be staying at the boardwalk. The night of the race, is it easy to just walk to the start or take the bus? Also what time should we be leaving the hotel to get to the start?

Easier to just walk. Use it as your warm up.

I'm going to walk from BW also. They said you need to be in your starting corral by 9:15. So I will probably get going over there by 8:30. For the 1/2 in January there were so many people all walking to get to their corrals that I barely made it to mine in time for the start.

And you also can't take the bus from there. It is not a host resort. You have to go over to BC to get it.

This will be our first night race, but others I know who ran last year said they haf some of the quick service places open there by ToT & RR.
::yes:: The outdoor food court place next to TOT/in front of RnR was open, as was Backlot Express and Minn & Bills.

Which reminds me I finally experimented with the Honey Stinger WAFFLES during my 11 miles, and those were nice. Didn't mess with my stomach, and when I finished I didn't feel as bad as I have with shorter distances but with only "chew" type things.
:thumbsup2 I feel exactly the same about the waffles - they're perfect!

They also had food trucks before the race in the staging area, but believe me, the food options were nothing a runner would eat pre-race :)
Right?! :rotfl: Two words: Lobster. Rolls. :crazy2::scared:

From what I understand, after the finish line we'll be given medals and some water and sports drink and then we still have to walk a ways to get our bags and then meet up with our families? If that's right, I can imagine just drinking that water and possibly sports drink while walking along (probably crying, too, LOL). And then, recharged, meet the family, change, and HOPEFULLY have some fun!
:thumbsup2 You've got it - that's exactly how it went down for me. I'll add, too, that drinking right after the finish isn't optional if it's warm (which is pretty much a given); the volunteers wouldn't let anyone keep going without an open bottle. I held up my hand to pass on Powerade because A. I hate the stuff, and B. I still had my own bottle full of Nuun... I had to plead my case - "I'm Floridian, this heat is nothing compared to what I'm used to, AND I have a full bottle right here, see?" - to continue on.

Another note on the finish chute... I don't know how it will be set up this year, but last year, I never saw the finish line med tent, where I'd wanted to stop for ice. FYI, there was no other good option past that point for ice in a bag plus cling wrap to strap it on - so keep an eye out if that's something you need.

It's been an interesting week for me... thanks to bad hip pain on my couple of short run attempts last week, I paid a visit to my doc Friday - bursitis caused my my tight IT Band. :headache: Got a big ol' shot of cortisone and wound up with a bad case of cortisone flare... spent all of Saturday unable to walk without whimpering in pain. Forget a long run; it was a major accomplishment to hobble from my couch to the bathroom.

It was a little better yesterday and I managed a short session of yoga. Better again today, so I may try a slow walk after work. Doc said no running for 5 days, which takes me to Thurs. Hoping the pain is gone by then, but I won't push it.

So I'll be going into the race with essentially a 4 week taper from my longest run of 11 miles. This ought to be interesting... :rolleyes1

So I'll be going into the race with essentially a 4 week taper from my longest run of 11 miles. This ought to be interesting... :rolleyes1

Me too...although my long was 9.5. I am trying to rest and let my calf heal. Just some light stationary bike riding at home in a couple more days. Its definitely feeling better but still limping a little. Have a couple of stretching sessions scheduled with my trainer this week to help work it out some. Also continuing with RICE treatments as possible during the crazy week.

Does anyone know if there will be Photopass photographers at the Villains Bash post-race? I know the photographers along the course will not be Photopass, but wondered about during the party in DHS.

And will they have the ride photos going for Photopass Plus (we have already done the pre-purchase for this)? DH really wants the pick of them riding Tower of Terror with their medals on after the race!

It's been an interesting week for me... thanks to bad hip pain on my couple of short run attempts last week, I paid a visit to my doc Friday - bursitis caused my my tight IT Band. :headache: Got a big ol' shot of cortisone and wound up with a bad case of cortisone flare... spent all of Saturday unable to walk without whimpering in pain. Forget a long run; it was a major accomplishment to hobble from my couch to the bathroom.

It was a little better yesterday and I managed a short session of yoga. Better again today, so I may try a slow walk after work. Doc said no running for 5 days, which takes me to Thurs. Hoping the pain is gone by then, but I won't push it.

Good grief! :(

Well, I for one, have faith in your tenacity!! :thumbsup2

After working through some knee/hip issues, then dealing with some toe nail stuff (I'll spare everyone), I was feeling pretty good. Worked up to a lifetime max of 12mi, then down to 11mi, then 9mi last night.

Then, since we were chilly following our run last night, my sister and I decided to run the 1/2 mi home from the subway. Now, this would have been ok, except my neighborhood gets pretty dark, with big trees blocking street lights. We had just finished saying how it gets way too dark here, when about 10 seconds from home, I tripped over an uneven spot in the sidewalk and went FLYING! Got a nasty scrape and BIG bump on my knee and banged up my hip. On the plus side, breaking my fall with my hands did a nice job of exfoliating my palms... :rotfl:

After disinfecting and icing EVERYTHING, surprisingly, it's not feeling that bad today! I think I got REALLY lucky... besides the whole falling on my face thing... :rolleyes1 :rotfl: I'm a little sore and the scrape needs to heal, but other than that, I think I'll make it! Whew!

What a road it has been to ToT...

We had just finished saying how it gets way too dark here, when about 10 seconds from home, I tripped over an uneven spot in the sidewalk and went FLYING! Got a nasty scrape and BIG bump on my knee and banged up my hip. On the plus side, breaking my fall with my hands did a nice job of exfoliating my palms... :rotfl:

After disinfecting and icing EVERYTHING, surprisingly, it's not feeling that bad today! I think I got REALLY lucky... besides the whole falling on my face thing... :rolleyes1 :rotfl: I'm a little sore and the scrape needs to heal, but other than that, I think I'll make it! Whew!

:hug::hug:

Back as a college student (the last time I ran regularly) I had one of those face-plant falls myself! In Miami, on a bad bit of sidewalk. Scraped up my nose! That was pretty. :)

Hope you keep feeling OK.

I am now yearning for acpalmer's DH's idea of a TOT photo with the medals.

Though, of course, if people are still wearing them the next day it could be done then, too. ;)

:hug::hug:

Back as a college student (the last time I ran regularly) I had one of those face-plant falls myself! In Miami, on a bad bit of sidewalk. Scraped up my nose! That was pretty. :)

Thanks for the :hug:!! While I am the (annoyingly) stoic type (!!), I did have to assure my sister and DH that I was FINE!! Well before I was sure I was actually fine!! :rotfl: Once that was done and everyone else was asleep, I had a little freakout thinking I may not only be taken out of ToT because of the ridiculous fall, but it may affect our family trip that we leave for in 3 days!

I'm just SO grateful that today things seem much brighter. :) And brighter still with the lovely support on here -- thx again!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

We had just finished saying how it gets way too dark here, when about 10 seconds from home, I tripped over an uneven spot in the sidewalk and went FLYING! Got a nasty scrape and BIG bump on my knee and banged up my hip. On the plus side, breaking my fall with my hands did a nice job of exfoliating my palms... :rotfl:

That must have been scary when it happened! Glad you are ok and sending good vibes that you stay healthy and injury-free!!:flower3:

It's almost time, everyone, so just try to stay in one piece for a few more days.

I've started watching episodes of the Twilight Zone and I have that movie Disney released at the same time as the ride in 1997 scheduled for this weekend. I also now have 3 sets of magic bands-- Disney just keeps sending them to me... I have a different set for each day. I'm trying to think of a good craft project for the extras.

Though, of course, if people are still wearing them the next day it could be done then, too. ;)

We wore our medals for probably 2 days after the race. We got some nice photopass pictures in front of the sorcerer's hat in DHS with the medals.

I really encourage everyone to wear the medals over the next few days. We got lots of congrats from CMs and other runners were able to spot us so we got to discuss race experiences with other runners.

Me too...although my long was 9.5. I am trying to rest and let my calf heal. Just some light stationary bike riding at home in a couple more days. Its definitely feeling better but still limping a little. Have a couple of stretching sessions scheduled with my trainer this week to help work it out some. Also continuing with RICE treatments as possible during the crazy week.
Ugh, I'm so sorry! Glad to hear it's improving. Oh, I hear ya on the RICE! I'm icing eveyr few hours here... keeping ice on a hip is NOT easy, fyi. :rotfl:

Right?! This has just been nuts! Glad you survived - I'd be freaking, too!

It's almost time, everyone, so just try to stay in one piece for a few more days.
:rotfl2: Exactly! I'm considering wrapping myself in bubble wrap at this point...

I really encourage everyone to wear the medals over the next few days. We got lots of congrats from CMs and other runners were able to spot us so we got to discuss race experiences with other runners.
:thumbsup2 ITA - it was fun wearing them out and about last year!

I have a ME question for you guys. We are flying in on the 3rd and my DS is flying in on the 4th. We have 1 ME booklet. Do I just rip my vouchers out for us and let my DS have the booklet for his flight? It will be his first time flying solo and I want him to have the map of where to go and bypass the ME counter. I also have old booklets that I can throw my vouchers in for us so we can go right to the bus line. Or will just having my vouchers in my hand be enough?

I have a ME question for you guys. We are flying in on the 3rd and my DS is flying in on the 4th. We have 1 ME booklet. Do I just rip my vouchers out for us and let my DS have the booklet for his flight? It will be his first time flying solo and I want him to have the map of where to go and bypass the ME counter. I also have old booklets that I can throw my vouchers in for us so we can go right to the bus line. Or will just having my vouchers in my hand be enough?

Vouchers are not necessary. They speed up the process at MCO, but we have family from all over the states join us for January’s races and have only needed to instruct the folks not traveling with us on where the counter is located. I think I called the DME folks 3x the first year we realized that only the main party received the book. All the bookless party needs to do is stand on line at the DME counter and the agent can look up the reservation.

That must have been scary when it happened! Glad you are ok and sending good vibes that you stay healthy and injury-free!!:flower3:
It was, but I channel that energy into making everyone else feel like it'll be ok!! LOL!

:rotfl2: Exactly! I'm considering wrapping myself in bubble wrap at this point...
Now THAT'S what I should have done!!! Not too late... LOL!!!

Vouchers are not necessary. They speed up the process at MCO, but we have family from all over the states join us for January’s races and have only needed to instruct the folks not traveling with us on where the counter is located. I think I called the DME folks 3x the first year we realized that only the main party received the book. All the bookless party needs to do is stand on line at the DME counter and the agent can look up the reservation.

Thanks for the info. We are trying to avoid the ME desk but if we have to stop then we will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter