Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

I signed up for this race.I am not a runner. I did a Disneyworld 5k a few years ago but just walked/jogged with my kid. I decided to do this one because I love
Disneyworld and want to get in shape. Any other new runners doing this race?
I will be running this solo so a little nervous.

Yup! It's my first time of any long distance! My husband the marathon runner will be doing it with me....I just hope to get across the finish line and not be last...:)

Ok--on the topic of Nuun...I think I'm the only person that doesn't like it! I've tried Kona Kola (which had a weird bitter thing going on for me. If anyone want a tube that's only missing 1 tablet, let me know!). But I HATE water. And I find that one Nuun tab is not enough. Still tastes like water. So I put in 2 tabs. But then it tastes extremely salty. I've tried the cherry limeade and the strawberry lemonade. Unfortunately, I thought that since everyone loved them, that I would too so I bought a bunch. I still have a tube of banana, lemonade, lemon lime, and watermelon to open.

You are definitely not the only one that doesn't like them. One of my best friends thinks it is disgusting and uses Gatorade instead. Gatorade just tastes really sugary to me. Also, it's not like I use them on a regular basis. I use them only when I run, and like them well enough for that.

I will say, I agree that if you have too much water per tablet, it still basically tastes like water. I think the tube recommends dissolving it in a 16.9 oz bottle or something like that, but I try to dissolve mine in only about 12 oz of water, which is what fits into my two iFitness water bottles. It makes the flavor a little stronger that way, but not too strong or salty.

As for flavors, I've never been a fan of the cola or ice tea flavors. My personal favorites are grape and strawberry lemonade, but I also have and use watermelon, triberry, fruit punch, and orange.

Also, there's a cherry limeaid? I've never seen that one, and would try that in a heartbeat!

I signed up for this race.I am not a runner. I did a Disneyworld 5k a few years ago but just walked/jogged with my kid. I decided to do this one because I love

Technically this will be my first Disney run. I signed up for the Disneyland half in 2012, but was swept off the course for going too slow. Granted I was trying to walk the whole course because I thought it'd be easy :) Then I signed up for the half in January 2013, but ended up being sick during the trip so I still haven't officially done a run yet, lol.

I'll be there running it solo too! Not my first race but first trip on my own:)

This is also my first race - signed up for same reasons. I can't really run - just trying to walk fast enough not to get swept.

You are definitely not the only one that doesn't like them. One of my best friends thinks it is disgusting and uses Gatorade instead. Gatorade just tastes really sugary to me. Also, it's not like I use them on a regular basis. I use them only when I run, and like them well enough for that.

I will say, I agree that if you have too much water per tablet, it still basically tastes like water. I think the tube recommends dissolving it in a 16.9 oz bottle or something like that, but I try to dissolve mine in only about 12 oz of water, which is what fits into my two iFitness water bottles. It makes the flavor a little stronger that way, but not too strong or salty.

As for flavors, I've never been a fan of the cola or ice tea flavors. My personal favorites are grape and strawberry lemonade, but I also have and use watermelon, triberry, fruit punch, and orange.

Also, there's a cherry limeaid? I've never seen that one, and would try that in a heartbeat!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! I'll have to try the less water with one tablet thing on one of my runs (I should start brining water with me in a couple of weeks--I only do it on runs 6mies or longer). Hmmm..fruit punch sounds good..but still worried about the saltiness!

Hope your knee feels better!! :goodvibes Nothing worse than a bum knee!!

Thanks! It was a little touchy today, but no actual pain. Whew.

This will be my first Disney race, my first longer-than-5K race, and while I'm not a NEW runner at this point, I'm still a newbie runner. :)

Have you found the training plans on rundisney? The one for this race starts in June if I recall correctly, and he's got one for beginners! If you know anything about Galloway, he's all about the walk/jog program where you jog/run a bit, walk a bit, etc. That's how I started running this time, with his Couch to 5K program, and I've just continued on.

Today I tried the Honey Stingers. Sweet sweet sweet! I felt really good with them, but I don't know, I think the margarita flavor Clif chews come out ahead so far for me.

I read that simple coconut water is good for recovery? Anyone use that?

This isn't my first big race but I went straight from the Everest Challenge (5k) to running the Princess Half and it was an amazing experience! I signed up for this race the second I got home! As long as you do the training you will get there, no worries. :)

As you've already seen, you will not be alone! :jumping1: The 2012 TOT was my first long race and, despite being injured, I thought it was a perfect choice for being my first. I also ran the Princess Half this year and comparatively, TOT was much less intense, less crowded, and of course a few miles shorter, all of which made it a great way to enter the world of Disney long races with a lot less stress. :thumbsup2

For all the new distance runners, I highly recommend Galloway's beginner plans. His approach made it seem very easy to build up my mileage without feeling like a giant time suck in my life. I never made it up to the full 11 miles in his Beginner's plan last and still felt adequately trained for the race.

Ditto! I've got a huge stash of other flavors, so I won't allow myself to buy anymore, but the cherry limeade sounds soooo good!

I have a question. I see on the registration that you can order pins and commemorative Necklace when registering. Is that the only place/way to get them or will they be available to purchase when you check in for the event?

YAY! Hope it helps my night blindness. Hey V, is that you in the video in the pink shirt?

Nope, I was in blue last year. Yeah, I think they really need extra light in a few spots; dark was nice and creepy, but in more of a "OMG, I might run into the shrubbery!" kind of way, lol!

I have a question. I see on the registration that you can order pins and commemorative Necklace when registering. Is that the only place/way to get them or will they be available to purchase when you check in for the event?

They do offer the pins and necklaces at the RunDisney shop at the Expo if there are extras, but there is a chAnce that they will sell out. I always order the pins when I register. :)

Just wanting some input into the JG beginner training plan. I'm just about finished with the C25K and wanting to switch over to the runDisney training schedule. However I'm not sure how to do the run/walk intervals. I'm used to the C25K plan telling me when to walk/run and for how long and the JG plan just kinda says to figure it out!

Anyone care to share their intervals for training and what intervals they used during the race? I know it's different for everyone but any advice would be great!

I just bought the tickets for the villains bash for the non runners in my group using the will call option,I know you can pick them up at the expo but if I want can I pick them up on my visit next month.The confirmation sheet said I can pick them up tomorrow so I'm assuming so but where? WWoS?

They do offer the pins and necklaces at the RunDisney shop at the Expo if there are extras, but there is a chAnce that they will sell out. I always order the pins when I register. :)

It seems I can go back in and order those things now.

But at any point will we be shown what we are ordering? Seems odd to buy something without knowing what it will look like.

I just bought the tickets for the villains bash for the non runners in my group using the will call option,I know you can pick them up at the expo but if I want can I pick them up on my visit next month.The confirmation sheet said I can pick them up tomorrow so I'm assuming so but where? WWoS?

I think I read it's at any of the park pickup windows...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter