Official 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler

Just registered. I had a Southwest credit I need to use up by mid-October so what the heck. This will be a nice little break while training for the Goofy in January.

I need to register. I did a 10k today that I plan to use to submit a time. I guess I don't have to wait until the official times are posted since I know my finish time.... but I thought I would wait.

Now, I see fares have come down on SW... and I am so tempted to book my return trip. (booked the flight down already) Thing is... the fare that is cheap is 2 days AFTER my friends check out and when I planned to also leave. Now... the day we are set to leave... the lowest fare is $324. 2 days later... $121. :faint: So... $200 less... but then I have to pay for a room for two nights. (not to mention food) That might just be a breakeven point.... :confused3

Now to decide to register this week or get that fare!

How does it work submitting a time from a prior race? I haven't done a race yet but what length should I look for in the coming months and how long do I have before the race to get my time in?

I need to register. I did a 10k today that I plan to use to submit a time. I guess I don't have to wait until the official times are posted since I know my finish time.... but I thought I would wait.

Now, I see fares have come down on SW... and I am so tempted to book my return trip. (booked the flight down already) Thing is... the fare that is cheap is 2 days AFTER my friends check out and when I planned to also leave. Now... the day we are set to leave... the lowest fare is $324. 2 days later... $121. :faint: So... $200 less... but then I have to pay for a room for two nights. (not to mention food) That might just be a breakeven point.... :confused3

Now to decide to register this week or get that fare!

If you want to enter before official times are posted.... Just state your time and the name of the race on the entry form. Just that simple. Or, you can furnish the official time link later.

How does it work submitting a time from a prior race? I haven't done a race yet but what length should I look for in the coming months and how long do I have before the race to get my time in?

First, you only need a proof if you are estimating a time quicker than the standard on the entry form (sub 2 hour I believe). For a race to qualify, it must be a race of 10k (6.2 miles) or longer held later than 7/1/11. The easiest way to submit the proof of time is at entry, but you can email the proof after entry and anytime up to about 4-6 weeks pre-race. If your best race is later than that, simply bring the proof of time with you to the expo and head to Runners Relations after picking up your bib.

I've done 2 other halves and found it helpful to submit a time even if I'm only a few minutes faster just to bump up a corral or two. Lets me enjoy the race and character stops rather than worry about being swept.

I've done 2 other halves and found it helpful to submit a time even if I'm only a few minutes faster just to bump up a corral or two. Lets me enjoy the race and character stops rather than worry about being swept.

Completely new to this, so this may be a silly question: why would you worry more about being swept in a later corral? Doesn't it depend on your pace (max 16min/mi), no matter what corral you're in? Is it a matter of potentially being slowed down by other runners in the later corrals? :confused3

Completely new to this, so this may be a silly question: why would you worry more about being swept in a later corral? Doesn't it depend on your pace (max 16min/mi), no matter what corral you're in? Is it a matter of potentially being slowed down by other runners in the later corrals? :confused3

I think it's a 16 minute pace from the time the last runner crosses the start line giving you a cushion if you're in a corral or two up. However, anyone else please correct me of I'm wrong.

Yes...

The sweepers travel at a time equivalent to a 16 minute pace from when the last runner starts. A little off race, but if a runner in the marathon in January could start in corral A instead of the last corral they would have approx 8 hours to finish since it takes about an hour to start all waves. In the 10 miler, the start period may be 25 minutes... But if a runner could get at the very front of the line, they would have an approximate 18.5 minute pac allowance.

I think it's a 16 minute pace from the time the last runner crosses the start line giving you a cushion if you're in a corral or two up. However, anyone else please correct me of I'm wrong.

Yes...

The sweepers travel at a time equivalent to a 16 minute pace from when the last runner starts. A little off race, but if a runner in the marathon in January could start in corral A instead of the last corral they would have approx 8 hours to finish since it takes about an hour to start all waves. In the 10 miler, the start period may be 25 minutes... But if a runner could get at the very front of the line, they would have an approximate 18.5 minute pac allowance.

I see -- thanks! Seems a little nutty... giving "an edge" of sorts to those who "need" it least!!

I see -- thanks! Seems a little nutty... giving "an edge" of sorts to those who "need" it least!!

You're absolutely correct, however, starting the corrals as they do gives other benefits: keeping people of similar paces in groups to keep people from getting run over/held up, allowing the people who are more competitive to keep an eye on their competition, and keeping people from starting too strong or not strong enough by the group around you serving as a check on your pace.

Besides, there are races where anybody can have an unexpected bad outcome (I've had: trip and fall, nausea and vomiting, and cramping) somewhere along the course, and so they might need whatever edge they can get to finish the race in time. Starting at the front of the last corral as opposed to the back will buy you a few minutes of cushion, and every little bit can help.

This is also why I would highly suggest you do a race or two of at least 10K before your runDisney race to be able to provide a time. I didn't submit one for the ToT 10 Miler last year, and was in one of the last two corrals, maybe even the last one. I turned in Proof of Time at the Expo and got bumped up. It was my first runDisney race and first race where I was worried about sweepers, so it certainly gave me peace of mind.

FWIW, I started in mid-C last year and was hobbled by injury to mostly walking from about mile 5 on... and never saw the sweepers. Trust me - I was looking for them; I was totally ready to end the pain and board a bus, lol! Final average pace was over 16:00mm, I think 16:12. So for anyone who's trained for the distance and can keep up a comfortable 15:00 or so average pace, you should have no worries in any corral! :thumbsup2

I agree - I do a 10k in Richmond for the only reason to get a fast time to submit for these races.

I'm in,I put my estimated finish at 2:01,my only other RunDisney event was the full marathon this year,for those of you who did it last year how many corrals will the ToT 10 miler have and where do you think I'll be with the 2:01 time I gave.

I'm in,I put my estimated finish at 2:01,my only other RunDisney event was the full marathon this year,for those of you who did it last year how many corrals will the ToT 10 miler have and where do you think I'll be with the 2:01 time I gave.

There were 4 corrals last year (A - D) and I submitted about a 12 1/2 minute pace... got me into C

I am registered!! I figured I should do it since we only have about a week till registration goes up. Was anyone else surprised by the active fee? I think last year it was not as much. Add in the race fee itself being more... and wow... quite the increase!

I am registered!! I figured I should do it since we only have about a week till registration goes up. Was anyone else surprised by the active fee? I think last year it was not as much. Add in the race fee itself being more... and wow... quite the increase!

It's my first TOT, but the fees are killer! $144 for registration.

I am registered!!
:yay:

It's my first TOT, but the fees are killer! $144 for registration.
It was almost HALF as much last year. :sad2: I just hit the button and tried not to look at my Visa statement this year...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For fellow between racers - what are you doing between now and TOT training? Do you have other races between now and TOT? Just going into maintenance mode?

I'm kind of doing both... I have a 5K and 10K coming up before Florida race season winds down for summer, but I'm not really training specifically for them. Now that I've held ITBS at bay for a couple months, I'm focused on reducing my extended walk breaks on long runs. I'll start throwing in some "hill" (bridge - it's Florida!) workouts soon, too, assuming no ITBS flare-ups.

:yay:

It was almost HALF as much last year. :sad2: I just hit the button and tried not to look at my Visa statement this year...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For fellow between racers - what are you doing between now and TOT training? Do you have other races between now and TOT? Just going into maintenance mode?

I'm kind of doing both... I have a 5K and 10K coming up before Florida race season winds down for summer, but I'm not really training specifically for them. Now that I've held ITBS at bay for a couple months, I'm focused on reducing my extended walk breaks on long runs. I'll start throwing in some "hill" (bridge - it's Florida!) workouts soon, too, assuming no ITBS flare-ups.

Hiya V! I'm doing that 1/2 marathon in Tradition on 3/23, then a 5k on 4/20. Forgot about the DL 1/2 on 9/1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!