Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jlinrota said:
Great. I think I could run while holding my camera. What kind of camera do you have if you do not mind me asking? Shock proof and water proof sounds great. Thanks again!

I have the Nikon Coolpix AW100. Its waterproof to 33 feet deep, shockproof to something like 4-5 feet and takes great pictures. I had a Coolpix before it and loved it but it was dropped a few too many times and started acting wonky. It still took great pictures but the setting would sometimes change themselves. I was surprised it wasn't more expensive. I'm not a great photographer so I do buy high end fancy stuff since I don't know how to use anything that complicated. This is very affordable and even a camera-idiot like me can use it.

Great. I think I could run while holding my camera. What kind of camera do you have if you do not mind me asking? Shock proof and water proof sounds great. Thanks again!

How many pictures did you take? It seems like it would be a pain to take it out a bunch. I want pics of all the mile marker signs, plus a handful of character pics, and of course random pics along the way.

Both of my previous princesses I ran with the camera in my hand for the very reason MoonFaerie mentioned - I take A LOT of pictures and I didn't want to have to keep pulling it out of a belt, probably dropping everything else I put in there. It was no problem. Last year, it was kinda misty and I noticed that my friend's pictures kept getting cloudy every time she pulled it out of her belt due to the high humidity. If it's same conditions, open your camera before you are ready to take the pics and let it adjust to the air around.

How many pictures did you take? It seems like it would be a pain to take it out a bunch. I want pics of all the mile marker signs, plus a handful of character pics, and of course random pics along the way.

Well, not too many...since it was a 5k (and dark), there weren't that many opportunities. I mostly had it because I was with a 10 year old and it was her first 5k ever so I wanted to document some of that accomplishment for her...and I didn't wear a fuel belt for that race either. The camera was the only thing I carried in the SPI belt, so it wasn't too hard to get in and out when I wanted it...and I didn't have to worry about anything else falling out when I did. I can't stand to run for very long with something in my hands though, so carrying it was not an option. When my BF and I ran W&D and planned to stop for pics, he was the designated camera keeper. For that, we bought a small zipper camera case at Best Buy that had a belt loop on the back of it and just slid it onto his fuel belt and carried it there...that worked great...easy to get to and put back quickly so we could be on our way. We plan to do the same for Princess. If you wear a hydration belt, check the brand's website...alot of them make accessories (pouches, etc) that work with their systems specifically that you can add as needed. I wear an Amphipod belt (which I highly recommend if anyone's in the market!) and they have alot of great options to customize the belt to fit your needs. We just waited too late to get anything ordered before W&D...but got lucky with the camera case fitting on the belt perfectly.

Went to the Doc today about my breathing and after X-rays it shows I have over inflated lungs. Doc is leaning heavily towards exercise induced asthma and has scheduled a breathing test for Friday. He said keep going for now. So if any other princess is having breathing issues...it could be something to have checked out ! Feeling great otherwise ! :)
Glad you got some info - and don't sweat it if the dx winds up being exercise-induced asthma; I have it and just use an Albuterol inhaler before running. Works great!

I did, however, keep hallucinating famous men. At different times -- I believed I saw Joshua Jackson, Ryan Seacrest, and my evil but handsome ex, all out for runs in the park. Is this the runners' high I keep hearing about?
:rotfl2:

But then I saw Wreck it Ralph and fell *in love* with Vanellope Von Schweet. ("Everyone loves and adorable winner!") So I want to be VVS-inspired at the PHM.
I love this idea and was so hoping to see at least one Vanellope at the race!

Thanks. Never heard of a spi belt. I will check into that. I have a belt but it moves all over during my entire run so I find it annoying. If anyone has a type of belt that they love please let me know.
I think this is something you have to test individually... My SpiBelt bounces all over with anything heavy in it and drives me nuts; I only use it for short runs to hold a car key and lip balm. My double-pouch iFitness belt works well if I keep the pouches in back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can now say that I'm adequately prepared should race-day weather conditions include a cold wind and endless drizzle. Got out there and got it done in just such conditions last night and survived! :rotfl: (I loved my summer rain runs, but that was when temps were in the 90s; I wasn't so sure about low 60s/ high 50s with a cold wind and rain.)

I also had a race nightmare last night... I blame my very tired legs that wouldn't stop twitching and spasming all night. Dreamt I was doing a 5K and it was an unorganized mess: start was inside a warehouse and no one knew that the race had started for 5 mins, we had to crawl over the world's largest piece of driftwood, and there were random pedestrians standing around all over the course. I quit after a mile and deleted the race from my RunKeeper account, :lmao:

Well, not too many...since it was a 5k (and dark), there weren't that many opportunities. I mostly had it because I was with a 10 year old and it was her first 5k ever so I wanted to document some of that accomplishment for her...and I didn't wear a fuel belt for that race either. The camera was the only thing I carried in the SPI belt, so it wasn't too hard to get in and out when I wanted it...and I didn't have to worry about anything else falling out when I did. I can't stand to run for very long with something in my hands though, so carrying it was not an option. When my BF and I ran W&D and planned to stop for pics, he was the designated camera keeper. For that, we bought a small zipper camera case at Best Buy that had a belt loop on the back of it and just slid it onto his fuel belt and carried it there...that worked great...easy to get to and put back quickly so we could be on our way. We plan to do the same for Princess. If you wear a hydration belt, check the brand's website...alot of them make accessories (pouches, etc) that work with their systems specifically that you can add as needed. I wear an Amphipod belt (which I highly recommend if anyone's in the market!) and they have alot of great options to customize the belt to fit your needs. We just waited too late to get anything ordered before W&D...but got lucky with the camera case fitting on the belt perfectly.

I just looked up the Amphipod site because I need a belt. These look great. I'm totally going to order one! Now just to decide on which one ;)

I have a registration to sell for the PHM if someone wants one. (not mine :).
Its for my mom who did so well training and then had a stress fx of her pelvis. She is going to walk the Family 5K with the grandkids instead and Disney won't let her change the registration so she has to pay again for the 5K and loose her $$ for the half. If interested send me a PM or email. Thanks!

jjjmedeiros@comcast.net

I have a registration to sell for the PHM if someone wants one. (not mine :).
Its for my mom who did so well training and then had a stress fx of her pelvis. She is going to walk the Family 5K with the grandkids instead and Disney won't let her change the registration so she has to pay again for the 5K and loose her $$ for the half. If interested send me a PM or email. Thanks!

jjjmedeiros@comcast.net

Careful with this because Disney technically doesn't allow it. My understanding is that they kind of turn a blind eye so long as you aren't obvious but in all reality, if caught they can ban you from any future events. There's a FB event page for PHM on runDisney's FB fanpage. People frequently post there looking to buy bibs once races are sold out. There are a lot of people asking about PHM and race retreat now.

I also had a race nightmare last night... I blame my very tired legs that wouldn't stop twitching and spasming all night. Dreamt I was doing a 5K and it was an unorganized mess: start was inside a warehouse and no one knew that the race had started for 5 mins, we had to crawl over the world's largest piece of driftwood, and there were random pedestrians standing around all over the course. I quit after a mile and deleted the race from my RunKeeper account, :lmao:

I did, however, keep hallucinating famous men. At different times -- I believed I saw Joshua Jackson, Ryan Seacrest, and my evil but handsome ex, all out for runs in the park. Is this the runners' high I keep hearing about? :rotfl2:

:rotfl2: Hysterical, you guys!!! I frequently have messed up dreams as races get closer. Sometimes I'm a rockstar carrying someone across the finish line and other times, I'm falling on my butt or at the wrong location or in the wrong costume. LOL!!!

I just looked up the Amphipod site because I need a belt. These look great. I'm totally going to order one! Now just to decide on which one ;)

hope you find one you like! Personally, I wear the Full Tilt Velocity, i think that's what it's called. It's the one with a single bottle that sits horizontally across the back. That one is the most comfortable belt I've ever tried on. For whatever reason, it just fits me perfectly. And what I like about having the bottle on the back is that you have the whole rest of the belt on both sides to customize. Normally for training I have added one pouch on the side to hold my ipod and key. There is a pouch built into the part that holds the bottle too, but it's not so easily accessible on the run if you need to get in there...but good for things like ID, etc. that you won't normally need during your run. For a long race/run, I add another pouch on the other side so I can balance out the Clif shots...2 on each side. And then, for the dog days of summer, I add two snap on hydration flasks (one on each side) for extra water...some of it to drink, but most of it to pour over my head when I'm running in 100+ degree temps. (And those are cool too because you can add them to sit vertically or horizontally...whatever is more comfortable for you.) Kinda feel like a pack mule on those days, but it's the only way I can get through them in that heat. Anyway...all that to say that's really what I love about the Amphipod systems...the versatility. you can add, remove, and move things around to adapt to whatever you need for any particular run, and like I said, they just seem so much more comfortable to me.

revisiting the D&B Princess bag convo again...I was just reading today's Disney Parks blog and there was mention of the new D&B design being released this weekend for the WDW Marathon (I would SO buy it too, I love the colors and the pattern!). At the end it mentioned this:

"Additional quantities of bags will be released at the Expo for those who missed the pre-order."

I know I've read a few times that there were rumors that there wouldn't be any at the expo, so I'm hoping this means there may be some Princess ones at our expo too in case anyone, like me, wants to mull it over in person! Although, I'm sure whatever "additional quantities" are there will go fast. I may not even make it in time to get the chance to decide though. I likely won't get to the expo until 12 or 1 on that Friday. I'm kind of hoping the one being released at the marathon ends up in the stores eventually, maybe without the commemorative tag with the marathon logo. I really really like it!

revisiting the D&B Princess bag convo again...I was just reading today's Disney Parks blog and there was mention of the new D&B design being released this weekend for the WDW Marathon (I would SO buy it too, I love the colors and the pattern!). At the end it mentioned this:

"Additional quantities of bags will be released at the Expo for those who missed the pre-order."

I know I've read a few times that there were rumors that there wouldn't be any at the expo, so I'm hoping this means there may be some Princess ones at our expo too in case anyone, like me, wants to mull it over in person! Although, I'm sure whatever "additional quantities" are there will go fast. I may not even make it in time to get the chance to decide though. I likely won't get to the expo until 12 or 1 on that Friday. I'm kind of hoping the one being released at the marathon ends up in the stores eventually, maybe without the commemorative tag with the marathon logo. I really really like it!

Do you have a picture of the one for the marathon.
I am still hoping that they will change the bag for the princess so its not the same as last year

Do you have a picture of the one for the marathon.
I am still hoping that they will change the bag for the princess so its not the same as last year

Click here...bags are toward the bottom of the article.

From what they've posted for Princess pre-orders, the bag looks the same as last year. Kind of a bummer...it's the same as last year for Tink too.

Our old thread got locked for being to long, so here's a new one. :thumbsup2

Hello everyone!!

Here is a bit of info that we have as of now.

February 22 - 24, 2013
Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend
It's SOLD OUT!!!!!
http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events...half-marathon/
Expo is at Coronado Springs this year.

FB group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/249640615143957/

If you are planning on running, let me know, and I'll put your name on the roster! If I miss your post, feel free to PM me. I've got finals coming up, so I'll be randomly MIA off and on for a few weeks. ;)

2shortpeopleruleme
Acourtwdw
aggielawyer
aly0430
AmberHeartsDisney
amingione
amykay9377
andrea9873
annabanana
annmarieda
AnotherPrincess
Barefoot Princess
becky11
bellanotte10
BelleDreamer
Bookwood
brock201
bskelly07
Cantwaitvaca09
celestial63
Christie Lee
Christinascreative
cimrk0101
ColleenG
connersarah1
cookinfletch
CourtneykidOT
Craftydawn
creativeamanda
Cripey
CRUIZIN MAMMA
daisy112878
danielleyoung0
debbieandroo
DeerIsleDisney
dis-happy
DisneyDanielle85
DISNEYWITHCHILDREN
DIS-OH
dsnyfan21
dumbo_buddy
EEsloveDis
ellajeansmom
Fabulousmommy
fashionista311
FigmentMom
FlowerInAdversity
Fluffy_Princess
french lady
fsubigdogs
Gina15
Gryhndmom
gudrench3
happybaker
HappyMom2
HealthyAmber
Heatherann1015
helloirishkitty
HockeyKat
HomeSchoolMama
icicle
IMGONNABE40!
Jbennett5466
JCH
JenNel85
joan4mickey
jockey
jodipaige2004
joliren
kindakrazy2
lizdotcom99
longhorns2
LoveMyMoos
LuLuO
Lynn5700
magickingdom
mahipp
MaMa3Princes
mamacate
MamaSmurf227
mana'olana
mindystar
MinnieDiva
MizBrix
miztigg
momhmmx2
mommyof2princesses
Mommy to two Princes
mnosky
MoonFaerie
moparop
mroa1031
MRS AR
MsMulan
musclemouse
My4men
Ncsjodi
NC State
niclodn
Nishmom
olliffm1
pinky4disney
princessallegra
princessmeghan
princessnpirate
Princess on the Run
PrincessV
Rani8600
rapunzelruns
rizzobob
rosermama
samc
Sau418
saysay
semejorado
sherekhan
sissy_ib
Skx1122
Sojas3
ssdeverell
stasijane
Stitch Pelekai
sunnygal041
SuperHappyFunTimes
svwkirby
Swmr359
TaffieDoll
TeacupDemon
TeresaZ
Tfaze
thbath77
thebr0kenwriter
The_princess
Tiger Lily 03
TiggerAllie
TiggerFan3590
tinkeramy
tinkerbellfriend
tinkerbye
TinkLovinMama
TinyDancer
tmanaster
Tracer00
Uccats97
VickiHD
wdwpluto
WeRunDisney
WsPrincess
Zuzu

Hi-
I would love to be added to the group. Can you please add me?
Thanks!

I LOVE the bag for the marathon. But I would not buy one with the special marathon tag. I also hope they end up in the stores.
Last year's tink D & B ended up in the Vault 28 store in DTD last May. Of course without the 1/2 marathon tags on them. They were "flying" off the shelves.
So I am keeping my fingers crossed about the marathon bag in the stores.
I really really want one.

I LOVE the bag for the marathon. But I would not buy one with the special marathon tag. I also hope they end up in the stores.
Last year's tink D & B ended up in the Vault 28 store in DTD last May. Of course without the 1/2 marathon tags on them. They were "flying" off the shelves.
So I am keeping my fingers crossed about the marathon bag in the stores.
I really really want one.

hmmmm, we're planning on being down there again for F&W Fest this year...maybe some will turn up! I'll definitely be on the hunt.

Injury question for you:
Has anyone had Morton's Neuroma? Let me back up for a moment and say that may not be what I have, but I am getting different diagnoses from different professionals. No one seems to know anything for sure except that is not a fracture (had an x-ray and bone scan).

Podiatrist thinks it is biomechanical issues resulting in scar tissue, ortho dr assumed it was a tear of plantar plate, PT thinks it is a neuroma. Besides rest (well, no running - still walking around gingerly to live my life), ice and Aleve, I have had 2 rounds of shockwave therapy and now 1 round of ultrasound. The shockwave seemed to further aggravate things and my foot is quite swollen. It is going down but very slowly. The actual "problem" is a sharp pain in the ball of my foot when running.

Any thoughts or advice? Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? It is beyond frustrating not knowing exactly what the problem is when we are 7 weeks out and I have now lost over 3 weeks of running (I am cross-training but it's just not the same).

The PT said the next step would be cortisone if the ultrasound doesn't alleviate the swelling.

I am just desperate for answers or advice so if you have any thoughts, please share! I have worked so hard and trained for almost a year now. I was up to the 13.1 and feeling fine so this is so disappointing. At least with a fracture I would know what to do and what the healing time would be.

Help!

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

Yes... And when I looked at the ingredients lists for both the regular and ladies versions of body glide, the only difference is that the ladies version has dye in it to make it pink! :rotfl2:

Gold Bond has this product as well, and it is cheaper than the BG.

Where have you seen the Gold Bond product? I'm almost out of BG and was going to get more, but cheaper is better. :thumbsup2

Ok so I have some news I need to share with you princesses. I am almost 6 weeks preg! Crazy! I was feeling great and getting my runs in up until two days ago I've been waking up heaving and puking! Oh boy! I am just taking it really easy and going to get my runs in the late afternoon instead. Please send any sticky baby vibes our way! We have had an early loss before so we are a bit nervous but really really happy. :goodvibes:goodvibes

I also wanted to share this very special video my hubs made of our Disney Christmas Village! It is his project and it's really truly amazing. Anything with lights you see he custom did. He custom lit the Contemporary, GF, Poly, and even did the color changing LED's on the castle! Sorry for the pulsing lights in the video, that's just how the LED's translate onto HD. I don't know how to fix that. I know this will get you all even more psyched to be running!!!!pixiedust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSWC6hLB0W0

:cool1::cool1: Congrats! Thank you for sharing the video!! Where did all of the buildings come from? I have never seen them before.

I just saw that, too!!!

I put on my costume this morning and was going to brave a mile in the cold just to see but DH stopped me and told me about Saturday's "heat wave." Woo!!!! :yay:

But since I had it on, I had him take a picture. Here's what I am wearing. I still need to get a green running belt and head band (mine are pink) but otherwise here it is:

tink_costume1_zpsd2201f65.jpg

tink_costume3_zps0712d3c2.jpg

I have a wand but I think I will skip it since I plan on having my phone, KTTW, iPod Shuffle and cash in my belt pouch and my camera in hand. I don't need another thing to carry for 13.1 miles.

Be sure to double check your straps before the run. I'm a dance mom (not a crazy one, LOL) and from experience the straps are not always sewn in tight. I would maybe carry two safety pins with me just in case.

Okay, made a super ginormously long blog post just for new princesses. It's everything I wanted to know about the Princess before my first time. If I've forgotten anything else, repeat princesses chime in!

http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-path-to-becoming-princess.html

Thank you for this!

Thanks. Never heard of a spi belt. I will check into that. I have a belt but it moves all over during my entire run so I find it annoying. If anyone has a type of belt that they love please let me know. I will check it out. By the way when you find out how to respond to multiple people let me know that too! Thanks!

I carried my Olympus 850sw in my spibelt for the 5k last year and never took it out. It did not bounce. The first time I used it as a test run on the treadmill, I had it on the wrong spot and it was making me feel like I needed to pee. Once I peed and moved it, I didn't have any issues.:rotfl2:

Injury question for you:
Has anyone had Morton's Neuroma? Let me back up for a moment and say that may not be what I have, but I am getting different diagnoses from different professionals. No one seems to know anything for sure except that is not a fracture (had an x-ray and bone scan).

Podiatrist thinks it is biomechanical issues resulting in scar tissue, ortho dr assumed it was a tear of plantar plate, PT thinks it is a neuroma. Besides rest (well, no running - still walking around gingerly to live my life), ice and Aleve, I have had 2 rounds of shockwave therapy and now 1 round of ultrasound. The shockwave seemed to further aggravate things and my foot is quite swollen. It is going down but very slowly. The actual "problem" is a sharp pain in the ball of my foot when running.

Any thoughts or advice? Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? It is beyond frustrating not knowing exactly what the problem is when we are 7 weeks out and I have now lost over 3 weeks of running (I am cross-training but it's just not the same).

The PT said the next step would be cortisone if the ultrasound doesn't alleviate the swelling.

I am just desperate for answers or advice so if you have any thoughts, please share! I have worked so hard and trained for almost a year now. I was up to the 13.1 and feeling fine so this is so disappointing. At least with a fracture I would know what to do and what the healing time would be.

Help!

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun

:goodvibes:goodvibes I can't tell you too much, but my mom had it and had surgery to remove it. I did find this, which is what she sent me to read up on it. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mortons-neuroma/DS00468

I would say, before you get cortisone shots, be sure to read up on why they use them and what results you can expect. I had several in my heel for PF which did a little to nothing. The Dr lead me to believe they would "fix" it, when in reality it was a bandaid. I was pain free for a day or so and found out later there were possible side effects he never mentioned.

poohbear8 said:
I would say, before you get cortisone shots, be sure to read up on why they use them and what results you can expect. I had several in my heel for PF which did a little to nothing. The Dr lead me to believe they would "fix" it, when in reality it was a bandaid. I was pain free for a day or so and found out later there were possible side effects he never mentioned.

I was gonna mention this too...the podiatrist I see for PF mentioned shots as a last resort and said I would have to stop running if I got one because a side effect was that it would make it more prone to tearing and then I would have a bigger problem on my hands! (Or feet, I guess :) ). Right now I'm just stretching and taking naproxen and its helping, slowly but surely. This reminds me that I forgot to reschedule my Thursday appointment with him this week...must remember to do that first thing!

Where have you seen the Gold Bond product? I'm almost out of BG and was going to get more, but cheaper is better. :thumbsup2.

A fellow walker on the breast cancer 3-day had it-that is how I learned about it. I have seen it at Walmart and it also is available on line through Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!