Official 2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon Thread - Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running and traveling alone. I know some meets are planed for before the race ( I hate waiting to start by myself). I will be there from Thursday until the Saturday after the race if u want to meet up for some park time.

That would be great! I'm arriving of Thursday and leaving Monday. I still have to book my flight but hotel ressie is made. Even if you would want to meet up for dinner. I'm game for anyplace. Still have to do ADRs. But I do have a table for 2 at Be Our Guest. I think it's for Sunday night. I'll PM you my email.

Hi ladies I haven't been on here for a while. I am also running my first half marathon, I am also running solo

Hi ladies I haven't been on here for a while. I am also running my first half marathon, I am also running solo ��however my husband and 3 boys will be traveling with me were staying at BLT.. I know some of you ladies from the Facebook page but for those who I dont know yet "hi and nothing but good marathon vibes your way". ��

Jen

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Jen, do you have the dots over the e's in your name on FB? Just trying to match up people.

Hi All! Please add me (along with DP and DF) to the list!

It's great to see all the turkey-day PRs! I ran a 10K and PR'd too! DP was just under 57 min, and I was 57 flat! (If only I had been 1 s faster!) I'm sooo hoping this is fast enough for corral A, because that's the last race for us between now and the Princess (except the Castaway Cay 5K in Jan). Time to switch the training plan from 10K speed back to half-marathon distance training.

Anyone know what the Corral A cut-off was last year, either in 10K time or in "projected" HM finish time (i.e. was 2:05 enough, or did it have to be 2:00? was 2:10 enough?)

Hey guys!

My husband is running the half marathon with me but the only problem is that he gets TERRIBLE shin splints about 1/2 mile into a jog.

Because of this issue I have been jogging on a treadmill and he has been on the elliptical completing the same amount of miles or more ( we are following he Jeff Galloway schedule).

We have been to a running store and he was fitted for special shoes, he was re taught how to jog correctly, and I have been tapping his shins ( I work with physical therapists and they taught me a particular taping method).

With all that said, we completed a 5k this past thanksgiving and within .25 miles he had to stop jogging and we were walking at slow pace. We stopped because I don't want him to injure himself.

What advice do you all have for shin splints!!?!? We have been working so hard for this and I don't want shin splints to stop us from getting our medal.

-sarah in south texas

Hey guys!

My husband is running the half marathon with me but the only problem is that he gets TERRIBLE shin splints about 1/2 mile into a jog.

Because of this issue I have been jogging on a treadmill and he has been on the elliptical completing the same amount of miles or more ( we are following he Jeff Galloway schedule).

We have been to a running store and he was fitted for special shoes, he was re taught how to jog correctly, and I have been tapping his shins ( I work with physical therapists and they taught me a particular taping method).

With all that said, we completed a 5k this past thanksgiving and within .25 miles he had to stop jogging and we were walking at slow pace. We stopped because I don't want him to injure himself.

What advice do you all have for shin splints!!?!? We have been working so hard for this and I don't want shin splints to stop us from getting our medal.

-sarah in south texas

Sarah, I know how painful shin splints can be. The thing that really helped me was custom orthotics. My insurance didn't cover them and they weren't cheap, but worth every penny. I can run pain free. See if the PTs you work with can recommend a good sports orthotist. After Princess last year I was in pain for a month. Now I am training for the Disney full marathon. I ran 17 miles last week and not a twinge. Hope your DH feels better fast.

semejorado said:
Hey guys!

-sarah in south texas

I'm not a qualified expert by any means but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. A few months ago I developed terrible shin splits. Did the whole gait analysis, running store etc route. Got shoes for over pronation. Got about 5 diff pairs actually. Wasn't until I found a pair that didn't have a huge wedge in the arch and felt "normal" to me that I was able to run without the shin splint pain. (mizuno nexus). Apparently even tho my feet are somewhat flat and over pronate when standing and walking, my running stride seems to correct this naturally already and the major stability shoes were causing me more pain than help. Moral of my story is, try as many different shoes as u need to, including ones that might not totally make sense mathematically. And while he has pain, ice, massage w a small foam ball, and stretch (a calf stretch but with his toes pointing in behind him and also sit and pull toes back).

Just thought I would share that I "officially" started a half marathon training program this last week. I figured that even though I was running routinely... that maybe doing an actual program would be helpful. After all, I had been getting more lax about how far I run and going over 5 miles was becoming less routine than it probably should have been.

Soooo curious, is anyone else switching to an actual training program? The one I started assumes you can run a 10k already. I started tuesday and it accounts for ever day for 11 weeks. In other words tomorrow is W1D5 for me... and today (which was a day of rest) was W1D4. If I projected right I will finish this just in time to taper off a week or so before the PHM.

I must admit this program is a bit different than I am use to(which I assume it needs to be since it is training for a half rather than a 10k) It has me tomorrow doing my second longer run this week. (another 60 minutes of running) Next week it will drop me down to some intervals of 18 minutes (38 total)...then the very next day a 30 minute run. This week was 3 runs (total of 150 minutes not including warm up or cool down) Next week is 4 runs (total 158 - 2 of which are the walk between the 18 minute intervals) and one walk day of 30 minutes. Does this sound pretty familiar to those of you who have done a half marathon training program? It kinda has me excited to see where the coming weeks will take me. I just hope I don't freeze my kiester off during the winter.

Just thought I would share that I "officially" started a half marathon training program this last week. I figured that even though I was running routinely... that maybe doing an actual program would be helpful. After all, I had been getting more lax about how far I run and going over 5 miles was becoming less routine than it probably should have been.

Soooo curious, is anyone else switching to an actual training program? The one I started assumes you can run a 10k already. I started tuesday and it accounts for ever day for 11 weeks. In other words tomorrow is W1D5 for me... and today (which was a day of rest) was W1D4. If I projected right I will finish this just in time to taper off a week or so before the PHM.

I must admit this program is a bit different than I am use to(which I assume it needs to be since it is training for a half rather than a 10k) It has me tomorrow doing my second longer run this week. (another 60 minutes of running) Next week it will drop me down to some intervals of 18 minutes (38 total)...then the very next day a 30 minute run. This week was 3 runs (total of 150 minutes not including warm up or cool down) Next week is 4 runs (total 158 - 2 of which are the walk between the 18 minute intervals) and one walk day of 30 minutes. Does this sound pretty familiar to those of you who have done a half marathon training program? It kinda has me excited to see where the coming weeks will take me. I just hope I don't freeze my kiester off during the winter.

I started my "usual" training program last week (today starts week 2) as well.

I'm not trying to get a great time I just like being able to finish and feel good! I've run several half marathons with this program which involves 3 days of running (one "long run" a week) and 2 or in my case 3 days of cross training. I keep my mileage what I normally run until I hit the weeks I need to go farther on my long runs (which will happen in a couple of weeks. )

Please add me! I'm Lori B on Facebook (already in the group). Thanks!

Add me to the list also. Running with my 14 year old for a mom/daughter trip and staying at ASSp. Can't wait!!

MRS AR said:
Add me and my DD to the list. It will be the 1st princess for both of us.

I'm running with my daughter too! Please add myself and my DD (14) as well. Ran the princess 2 years ago with my oldest but this will be my middle daughter's first half.

tmanaster said:
Add me to the list also. Running with my 14 year old for a mom/daughter trip and staying at ASSp. Can't wait!!

Sorry for double post. Still figuring out this iPhone app! :)

I'm signed up, as is my dh. We were still on that runner's high after completing the W&D and signed up last week at the 97% mark.

I ran the W&D as my first 1/2 marathon ever as a challenge for turning 50. Love it so much! Hope I'm still running at 100! Couldn't train as needed the prior 2 months before the race due to injury but still managed to complete it at a fast walk with a little interval running. They were 16 minute miles but now I have something to beat.

This week (after 1 week off and another week of just walking) I jumped back into the Jeff Galloway schedule to end with the Princess. Yesterday was the 3 mile run day and it felt good to push the last mile. Would love to get down to a 12 -13 pacing by Feb.

Need to order new shoes this week.

PS. Someone posted somewhere that there are private running clubs that book bulk slots and you could still get a spot there even if Disney is sold out on the race. I briefly considered the upcoming Tinkerbell (for C2C) and found I could still sign up this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter