Official 2012 Wine and Dine ½ Marathon Thread

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by jeanigor, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Figment1990

Figment1990 DIS Veteran

Kandaf and AquaDame - great ideas! I'm going to go look into both. I have always shied away from anything other than water because I thought I had a sensitive stomach, but perhaps it's the other way around...

I have been using a Gatorade recovery drink (the chocolate milk protein one) after my run. Could that be causing my issues? I thought that would help.

Has anyone used the Accelerade stuff that Jeff Galloway recommends?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mking624

mking624 DIS Veteran

Anything you consume before, during, or after a run could be the culprit. It really is trial and error. A product being called "recovery" doesn't necessarily mean it will help YOU recover. I, personally, couldn't handle the Gatorade recovery drinks...it is too heavy for me post run. But regular Gatorade, or even smartwater (which has electrolytes in it), is ok for me.

4. What would Walt do

What would Walt do Earning My Ears

Kandaf - I was wondering if it could be a hydration issue. I did my 11M run last night because it rained so hard on sunday (I'm a rain wimp) and was feeling much the same way as Figment1990 after my run - queasy & awful afterward but with the addition of a calf muscle cramp from mile 9 on - and I'm pretty sure its because I wasn't hydrated properly.

Powerade is usually the available drink at runDisney races - is it not?
    I'm thinking I should start packing that along on my runs. Anyone know what flavor they usually have?

5. jeanigor

jeanigor DIS Veteran

Since PowerAde is a Coke product, runDisney uses it. Usually its yellow. Occasionally I have seen blue or red. Mostly yellow. Perhaps a staining issue?

Sometimes it tastes really strong sometimes very diluted.

6. Qltrgrl2

Qltrgrl2 DIS Veteran

With those expected finish times, I would guess you would be in corral B. However, you did need to show proof of those expected times with your registration. Be sure to bring proof with you to the Expo, either a 10k race or longer, if you did not include that with your registration. Happy training...only 5 weeks until we race!

7. Nole95

Nole95 Mouseketeer

I did send in proof over the summer from our 10K races, and received confirmation back from RunDisney of our new estimated finish times. So I guess we are all set.

8. PlutoBaby

PlutoBaby Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Hi everybody! New Disney runner here and super excited about my first W&D Half. Running it with my DH and plan on not watching the clock but the characters and meeting lots of fellow "Disney Dorks" as I call myself:cool1:. Was following Galloway's training to the letter until about a month ago when I started having bad knee pain. Tried to run through it, but finally gave in and went to the ortho. Turns out I have cartilage degeneration and the start of arthritis!:furious: (At the ripe old age of 44 mind you:crazy2:)! BUT, I'm not giving up! Ordered a megabrace for some support, hitting the Tylenol arthritis and the ice packs, and if I end up having to walk the whole darn thing (which REALLY stinks as my mile time was sub 9 minutes at last check:cheer2:), then so be it. I already have my patriotic Team Sparkle outfit ready to go and just figuring out how to finish up my training without being able to put in the same kind of mileage. Any training tips from the veterans out there will be GREATLY appreciated, so thanks!!:bitelip:

9. kandaf

kandaf DIS Dad's Club Member #686

It sounds like a great idea to me to try running with Powerade if that is what they have available during the half. As some one said earlier, it really is trial and error to find out what works for you. I also would not try anything new during the actual half. I have been training with NUUN tablets in my water bottles and Orange Vanilla GU gel. I will carry these with me during the half because I know it works for me. Just keep trying new combinations til you find what works for you and your body.

10. What would Walt do

What would Walt do Earning My Ears

What exactly constitutes "proof"?
    I'm registered for a 10k in a few weeks. Mostly trying to get some more race experience to reduce the jitters I always get. I've been doing 10 k in training in over an hour(1:08) Is that fast enough to get me into one of the earlier corrals? Or is that still going to put me at the back of the pack?
    My only goal for the Wine & Dine is to finish in time to make it to the party. But my nightmare scenario is getting a muscle cramp, walking and being swept. An earlier corral might be just the insurance I need.

11. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

I have a lot of problems with nausea after long runs. I have found a couple of things help me. I take endurolytes before and during the runs. I am a huge salt sweater and end a run covered in salt.

I usually eat something salty right when I finish--it might sound weird, but a small serving of potato chips tastes great to me. I can't have regular pretzels cause of the gluten, or I would probably eat them.

I avoid anything that is even a little acidy, including gatorade (unless it is watered down) and any kind of fruit gel or chew. I can tolerate the gu peanut butter flavor pretty well and watered down gatorade.

I also avoid any kind of dairy product for a couple of hours after my run. Dairy seems to just curdle in my stomach after long runs, though I don't usually have problems with it.

Experiment, it is definitely something that is fixable. I used to feel cruddy for hours and hours after long runs. It was very unfun. I am hoping with this new strategy to actually enjoy the W&D party for the first time. :goodvibes

And btw heads up for everyone, someone might have already said this, but you cannot (at least as of earlier this year) get gatorade anywhere on property, including at the Hess. We forgot to order it from Garden Grocer last time. So if anyone wants gatorade to carry with them, you have to bring it along. :)

12. Nole95

Nole95 Mouseketeer

Prior to September 1, you just had to send an email to RunDisney with the race name, date and finish time of the race you ran. Once I did that, I got a confirmation email back from them.

Since it is now after September 1, the only way you can change your corral is to bring your proof of time info to the Runner Relations booth at the expo.

I think that time will get you into an earlier corral. I finished by 10K in 1:10, and I believe the new finish time estimate they emailed me was 2:30.

13. Figment1990

Figment1990 DIS Veteran

Ok all- got my new bigger size running shoes and nuun tablets. Hoping to try the shoes out tonight if my headache is gone enough. Question: nuun tablet water for short runs too or just long???

14. Dr.Girlfriend

Dr.Girlfriend DIS Veteran

Hey everyone -

I got new running socks this weekend and wore them for the first time for TOT. I now have the WORST blood blister on my right big toe - it hurts so bad, and I've never had one before. Is there anything I can do to help this heal? It almost looks like it is getting worse at this point. Gross.

15. AquaDame

AquaDame Are we there yet?

Everyone will be different, for example I have had bad experiences so far eating egg on toast (regular breakfast) before a run, I got nauseous from eating one of those mini Luna bars Disney handed out at mile 8 of the Tink, Clif shot blocks AND the Honey Stinger gu packet (the waffles with PB on it or their fruit chews are great with my body though). I also can't stand powerade and stick with yellow gatorade. I don't think of it as having a sensitive stomach - except for these long runs I can eat almost anything and feel great - but as just knowing what your body needs to perform well. We are asking a lot of it, so it gets to be picky!

The recovery drink might be it - you could try it again to be sure, or just stick with something else. I really like having chocolate milk after, lately that's been a mocha but shhh! Yumm sugar and protein! :) I haven't tried accelerade.. maybe I should. The stinger stuff has been great except for the Gu stuff and I'm really glad it was recommended to me!

It is and I'm sure I saw the red and blue ones at the Tink... can anyone confirm? I didn't drink any as it tastes awful to me...! I ran with yellow Gatorade and used a couple of their water stops.

Thanks for the heads up - we're definitely packing ours in since I know Disney is Coke central! I'm usually very gritty after a run as well, I wonder if its salt? I remember pretzels tasted GREAT after my first 1/2.... hmm!

Oh no, I'm so sorry! :hug: If you can pop into your Dr I would and have them make a recommendation. Since it has already been several days I don't think there is much you can do aside from letting it heal - usually pressure, elevation, ice/heat etc but its been too long. If there is a bunch of blood pooling he may be able to speed up recovery by letting it and I would NOT recommend doing that yourself as you could get an infection or hurt your foot worse!

16. mking624

mking624 DIS Veteran

Oh man, I'm so sorry!! I echo what AquaDame said...and just to add that for the future, any new item should be tested out only during training. I hope you heal soon!!

17. specialks

specialks Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

I agree with this. You should see your doctor if it's not getting better. They may decide to drain the blood.

As others said, always try new items before racing in them.

I occasionally get blisters (not blood) on my toe but found a different pair of socks & haven't had it happen again. On long runs I rub some vaseline on my toes before putting on my socks. Blisters are caused from friction rubbing a spot over and over again. You might look at putting some vaseline on your blister and not wearing any socks or shoes that press on it or cause friction.

18. princessbride6205

princessbride6205 DIS Veteran

I believe it is still A thru E. If you had proof of time close to your estimates, I think you will be in B. Last year, I estimated 2:35 with a proof of 2:40 and was in B. My DH estimated 2:05 and had proof of 2:09 - he was in A.

19. kmchisholm

kmchisholm Mouseketeer

Hope it's appropriate to post this here - Just changed my idea for running shirts and have a One More Mile Medium Running Shirt in Iris that says "Will Run For Wine" that I will no longer be using. Tags have been removed and washed once in cold water, but never worn. Asking $25 (includes shipping) or best offer and will take paypal or payment in mail. Shoot me a PM if interested, will post on the FB site as well.

Link to design:
    https://www.onemoremilerunning.com/...or-wine-short-sleeve-crew-tech-/prod_419.html

20. Qltrgrl2

Qltrgrl2 DIS Veteran

I just noticed that there is still space to register for the Wine and Dine half marathon on the Get Travel website. Disney must have given them some more registration numbers. If you want to run this race, here is your chance! :thumbsup2

21. jeanigor

jeanigor DIS Veteran

GET Travel, as the official travel sponsor, gets between 300 & 500 registrations (more if they request them prior to race sell out). If they had used them all, there may be a chance that some of their bookings fell through.