Off to See a Wizard - Movie Review

IllinoisJones

Displaying My Ears
Oz The Great And Powerful: Sam Raimi’s approach on the wonderful wizard is entertaining despite some not so wonderful acting. It’s a film more directly related to the 1939 Victor Fleming MGM masterpiece rather than to the early 1900s Frank L Baum books with plenty of call backs and hidden gems. I loved the use of black and white and different aspect ratios. I enjoyed most of the performances and pretty much the entire ride, however I had problems with James Franco. He just felt forced at times with some very odd facial expressions. The cohorts that join him on the journey are likeable and drew many “awww”s and laughs from the full theater I was in on opening night. I thought the witches were interesting and engaging. It’s a beautiful movie with all the colors you’d expect from an Oz film. Green and yellow dominate of course. At times it IS scary, but my 7 year old boy thought it was “awesome”. Overall, a pretty good prequel to one of the most legendary films of the twentieth century and despite the daunting task, I believe Raimi captured the spirit and overall feel of the first trip to the merry old land. 3 yellow bricks out of 5.

Thanks for the Review! I have been wanting to see this and I usually love James Franco, but he really can go either way in a movie.

Good, that was the final opinion to where I am taking my nephew this Saturday -thank you for the the review, both of you :)

We saw Oz last night in 3d and Imax. The 3d and Imax def added to the experience. We enjoyed the movie though it did not jump to our list of top Disney movies.

I saw it in 3dImax on Saturday night with my mom and brother. (I convinced them to go, mom is 53, brother is 22 and I'm 26).

I HATE the ticket price for it - $54 for all three of us! Just to see the movie, that doesn't include any snack prices!!!

But I enjoyed it alot. We did all agree though that had it not been in 3D Imax it probably would not of been a "see in the theater" type movie.

Yes, the price is nuts! We paid $15 per ticket.
IT was a nice night out, but would not run out and buy it on dvd..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter