Off the Beaten Path?

Ms. Heimlich

I'm a beautiful butterfly, too!
DH and I are considering a trip in the fall. I am looking for ideas for "off the beaten path" restaurnat choices. Off-property and on-preoperty places are both up for consideration.

Where have you eaten that was reasonably priced (we are NOT doing the dining plan) and enjoyable? Where will you not go back?

Thanks for your help.

Ms. H

I was really surprised how good Tambu Lounge at the Polynesian was. It's officially a bar, but they had the best chicken lettuce wraps! Very reasonably priced, tasty, and pretty healthy option. I'd highly recommend them!

ZoZo has the right idea. A lot of the resort bars and lounges are actually great meal options. River Roost at Port Orleans Riverside has some new menu items that I'm looking forward to trying on our next visit. I also like the Cabana Bar at the Dolphin and the Sanaa lounge at Kidani Village, among many, many others. I also hope to get to the Gurgling Suitcase at Old Key West for the first time on our next visit.

We've had great meals at Olivia's and Sanaa. Both serve lunch in a nice relaxing atmosphere.

My DH's new favorite after our stay at BCV last time is Captain's Grille at YC. Very low-key, not crowded, great service, fantastic food! Our upcoming trip is for DH and DS's birthdays and when I asked DH where he wanted to eat for his birthday, he immediately said Captain's Grille. Actually, he said "that place where I had the amazing fish and rice thing" which was the Market Fish (that night mahi mahi) with ancient grains. It really was awesome! This is a man that absolutely adores Le Cellier so for him to ask for Captain's Grille instead is high praise!

Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone know if any of the bars/lounges in/around the WDW resort have a happy hour?

My DH's new favorite after our stay at BCV last time is Captain's Grille at YC. Very low-key, not crowded, great service, fantastic food! Our upcoming trip is for DH and DS's birthdays and when I asked DH where he wanted to eat for his birthday, he immediately said Captain's Grille. Actually, he said "that place where I had the amazing fish and rice thing" which was the Market Fish (that night mahi mahi) with ancient grains. It really was awesome! This is a man that absolutely adores Le Cellier so for him to ask for Captain's Grille instead is high praise!

Another vote for Captain's Grille here! I had the scallops and the Wedge salad as appy :cloud9: My son and I love Le Cellier, but we also love CG! When all of the Epcot restaurants are crowded and booked up, CG is a nice stroll out Int'l Gateway!:thumbsup2

Another vote for Captain's Grille here! I had the scallops and the Wedge salad as appy :cloud9: My son and I love Le Cellier, but we also love CG! When all of the Epcot restaurants are crowded and booked up, CG is a nice stroll out Int'l Gateway!:thumbsup2

Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone know if any of the bars/lounges in/around the WDW resort have a happy hour?

What, and offer discounts on the resort-priced food and drink for the captive audience? That's not the Disney way! :laughing:

Seriously, I don't know of any happy hours on property. Possibly House of Blues or some of the other Downtown Disney restaurants, but I've never experienced one.

I was thinking I read somewhere that CSR's lounge offers happy hour (with so many conventioners, it is possible) ... but I could be completely wrong about that! :laughing: I've been doing so much reading on CSR lately it is all starting to blend together.

Off to see if I can find where I read that.

ETA: I read that in a review of CSR on Orbitz from 03/2011. Apparently from what the reviewer described, Happy Hour is offered, but only on Sundays and you have to ask for it. Who knows how accurate this is, but it can't hurt to ask, right? ;)

We really enjoyed the Turf Club at Saratoga Springs on our last trip. The food was really good and the prices were very reasonable for what you got. I highly recommend going there! ::MinnieMo

Thanks for all the info!

Party Through the Parks website posts the following Happy Hour specials at Downtown Disney:

Wolfgang Puck
Mon - Thur
Sushi & Sake is 50% in the lounge only

House of Blues
Happy Hour from 3-5pm & 10-close.
$3 Domestic Beer Bottles, $3.75 Import Beer Bottles, House Wine & House Cocktails

Hole In The Wall Bar
at Cook's of Dublin at Raglan Road
Daily 3-7pm
$2 off all draft beer, house wine & house liquors

Does HOB still have 1/2 off apps. from 3till 5.

Thanks Mick@Tink for the info about party through the parks. DH and I LOVE happy hour for a drink and an appy so this an awesome alternative to "dinner"

Anyone know if HOB is still doing 1/2 off from 3-5?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter