off property vs. on property?

I love the roominess of offsite condos and vacation homes. Last November, we stayed in a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, fully equipped house with an enclosed, heated pool for <$1800 for 11 days. There were 4 adults and 3 kids in our party and it was nice to pack just enough for a few days and do a quick load of laundry every so often!

I am not a fan of onsite Disney transportation so when we're onsite, we tend to drive everywhere anyhow.

You may want to investigate one person in your party getting an annual pass.
You get free parking ($14 per day) and you can buy a TIW card for 20% off food and drink at several locations. We like to have at least one "sit down" meal at a resort or a park and we really saved a ton of dough with the TIW card.

I can honestly say that when we stay offsite, I don't feel like I miss the "magic" of WDW at all.:wizard:

I just went to look at the Windsor Hills website, and there is no way to get an idea of how much a place like that costs a night. You have to email the "owners of the house" and wait. Call me unsocial, but I like to go to a site and see for myself before I waste anyone else's time! :rotfl: So, Windsor Hills fans, what is the average/general cost? TIA!

I just went to look at the Windsor Hills website, and there is no way to get an idea of how much a place like that costs a night. You have to email the "owners of the house" and wait. Call me unsocial, but I like to go to a site and see for myself before I waste anyone else's time! :rotfl: So, Windsor Hills fans, what is the average/general cost? TIA!
I love windsorhillsrent.com Just put in your dates and info and you'll get tons of offers right to your email..then you can sort them by price...that's what we do. We also compare them on vrbo.com :thumbsup2 Price per night vary depending on if it's a 2 or 3 bedroom condo, townhome with splash pool or large pool home. Also depends on the amenities you are looking for...they range from the basics to ultimate luxury! Our favorite place so far has been Mickey's Safari condo. http://www.mickeyscondo.com/safari/
Also we look for a place that has a lockbox so that you don't have to check in at a rental office.

We have stayed in Windsor Hills the last two years and would highly recommend it! The development is beautiful, pool is amazing, great ammenities, etc... we have used all star vacation homes (google it) and this year - Florida Sun Vacation Homes. Found Florida Sun to be less expensive for same floor plan. Have fun - you will love it there!

Some individual owners websites will list their prices. Plus, you can always ask the owner if there are any special offers during your visit...if your trip is near and they have an opening they may be willing to negotiate.

I second the windsorhillsrent website and we loved www.5mins2disney.com

We went early every day and were there for rope drop, went home for lunch and naps and were back in the parks for the rest of the day, faster than if we had to wait for the buses. Not faster, of course, than if we were at a monorail resort and coming from the MK but I don't think overall speed of getting back to the room was a factor.

Hi everyone,

It will be our first time renting a condo off-site, and our first time driving down. We are renting from Dave Robinson-vacation central, we heard good things about him. We can't wait to be there. Having a teenager and a pre-teen in our family , we will appreciate the extra rooms and washrooms. Of course I will enjoy washing a few loads, and not bother going to a coin wash..... I am looking forward for our next trip.:goodvibes

I personally love staying on site. It really makes the whole trip more magical! We really don't mind waiting for the bus system. We hate to drive and park. Plus you can take advantage of the extra magic hours!!

I personally love staying on site. It really makes the whole trip more magical! We really don't mind waiting for the bus system. We hate to drive and park. Plus you can take advantage of the extra magic hours!! pirate:

IMHO

On site! NO Comparison................
Disney "Magic"
Disney Flavor
Extra Park Hours
Quick trip back to room and pool
Everything at your finger tips...........:cheer2:

As far as what is cheaper?????????
I think that depends....we can afford deluxe, we choose not too (most trips) , so its really what works for you/r family that is most cost effective!

Wherever you stay have a great time! :wizard:

We rented from this woman at Windsor Hills -- condo #4
http://www.vacation-rentals4u.com/condo4.htm

She's negotiable on her rates (gave me a discount the following year to $80 per night for a 3 bedroom) but we ended up staying on-site. Very nice lady to deal with. Most owners don't charge a cleaning fee if you stay at least 7 days.

You can also try http://www.windsorhillsrent.com/

My DS got pneumonia on that trip where we had the condo, so being in a 3 bedroom was a Godsend.

Last summer I had originally reserved a moderate resort package but decided to cancel for a condo at Bonnet Creek, which is located on Disney property. I paid $500 for a week's rental and $800 for my park tickets which was about $100 cheaper than the resort package. I just love having the extra room so DH, DS13, and I don't have to fight over one tv. We used the resort transportation to the parks and it worked out fine for us. We drove our rental to the waterparks since parking was free. It's only three of us but the extra room works for us.

We've done both. I'm not sure I'd stay on Disney property again unless it is a Free Dining or a similarly attractive deal.

We have to fly from Barbados, so for us an Orlando vacation is a very expensive venture. We have to make some tradeoffs, so that we can afford the trip.

My family thought the Disney value resort experience was "cool" but preferred the much less expensive hotels we've stayed at on other occasions.

1) We will probably never make maximum use of all that a hotel has to offer - my kids will hang out at the pool once in a while, but truthfully, a hotel room is for us, just somewhere to store luggage and sleep, for the duration of the trip. We are seldom at the hotel, so we really don't need too many "bells and whistles" Clean, basic and safe satisfies our needs!

2) The off-property accomodations were much more spacious and comfortable for our family of five (our girls are 11 to 17) - much more room, for less money

3) Staying on property is just "too much Disney" to quote my DD17! We like Disney but we're not die-hard Disney fans (our ride-junkie kids prefer US and IOA).

4) We normally rent a car and hardly use the Disney transportation. We've tried to rely on Disney transportation for one trip, but found that entirely too restrictive and rented a car. Free parking and having someone else do the driving is nice, but we're prepared to pay for the freedom to move around as we please!

5) DH and I prefer staying in the I-drive area (but not directly on I-drive) - greater access to shopping etc without the overinflated Disney prices! We've tried staying off-property closer to Disney before, but we still found that we had too little room for the money we were spending.

6) We did the evening EMH once - my family has said they will NEVER do EMH again, so that's not a drawing card for us.

There are 5 of us, so on property would be too expensive with 2 rooms or more expensive rooms that will hold 5 people. Plus, all of us being trapped in a room together for a week does NOT sound like a vacation to me! :rotfl: We like staying in a condo and getting separate bedrooms and bathrooms. It save so much money being able to make your own breakfast, bring lunches if you want or eat at the condo or offsite. We certainly don't cook much on a vacation, but even a little bit saves a lot of money.

Oh, the best part was the washer and dryer! We each brought a warm and cold outfit, then just washed everything every night when we got home. I can't imagine how much luggage we'd have to bring otherwise!!

I've noticed on these threads that the people who are most convinced that onsite is the only way to go are usually people who have never stayed offsite. There are exceptions, I'm not saying EVERYONE feels that way but that seems to be how it usually is.

I wouldnt stay off site my first trip. We stay on-site for the extra hours!

We rented a house one year and drove 20 minutes to the parks and it was fine with us!

My favorite way is to stay on-site with a car!

We have done 2 trips with the first being off site and the second being on-site. I liked being off-site for the space and the washer and dryer in the room. It was also over $400 cheaper to stay off site as it was onsite. On site was okay but trying to deal with so many others when it came to doing laundry and that made it not so fun. Plus not being able to watch what I wanted to watch when it came time to relax just made it hard as well.

Both times I have gone it was myself, my sister, and my 2 daughters who are 5 years apart. When we go this time it will be my son as well who will be 17. Unless Disney gives a really good deal we will stay off site.

I've stayed offsite and on before, and my vote would be onsite.

I usually stay during the slow seasons, so that may influence how we travel. DME is a huge benefit to us - not having to drive all week is worth it to us. I have never had a problem with the resort busses, so that's another positive for us.

On our most recent trip, we rented DVC points from someone here on the boards. I ended up paying about $300 more for a 2bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom Lodge than I would have for a 3BR condo. That $300 was well worth it. Having a full kitchen, 3 bathrooms, and washer/dryer was excellent, having Disney transportation was great.

I agree with other posters here - it depends on the size and ages in your family, as well as how you like to travel. We would not enjoy all being in 1 hotel room, but the DVC set up is perfect for us.

Jen

I have a stupid question, being that I've never stayed at a condo/house: Are all cooking and dining equipment in the house? Are there plates, pots, pans, glasses, utensils, potato peeler? It might work out better for us next time we go to stay off site if the onsite prices keep rising, and I never never get a pin code. :(

yes, they have usually enough dishes for at least 4-6 people and they have all the pots and pans, utensils and things you typically need. Can't tell you they will have a potato peeler or not, but they've had most of the normal day to day types of dishes....

I've done both too and I usually prefer offsite. I say usually because sometimes I want to revisit a favorite Disney resort but I always want a car wherever we stay. I can't stand Disney buses.

Some offsite resorts have fabulous pools and other amenities. I have my eye on the Hyatt Grand Cypress and the "Duck" hotel ;) both no slouches when it comes to nice.

My goal is to be comfortable and have lots of amenities and maybe a bit more space. Exra hours don't mean anything to me but I will say that parking can be expensive. I've heard that the Hyatt has good bus service but I can't confirm that. But again more buses!

I've noticed on these threads that the people who are most convinced that onsite is the only way to go are usually people who have never stayed offsite.
OK, I'm one of those people and I gotta say this is an intriguing thread. That condo complex looks awesome and something I will think about. For cost comparison it doesn't look all that much cheaper, though. I have the Wilderness Lodge booked (room only) with a 40% pin code in April right now. The Condo in the previous link is $134 a night plus the $80 cleaning fee plus parking at the parks, so let's say the cost is $160 a night. The WL will be $183/night.

So, all the "other stuff" aside like EMH and ME, etc is the extra space worth it over a Disney deluxe resort? I see it making sense over a value resort...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter