Oddest GPS Pronunciations?

VBsHustla

DIS Veteran
Does anyone ever hear their GPS pronounce street names in an absurd fashion?:listen:

For example our Nuvi, Daniel:lovestruc , pronounces La Cienega as La Chenga and Walmart as Wawlmart (rhymes with pal)

Anyone else hear some great ones?!:woohoo:

we have a mexican restaurant in town called Jalapeno Loco the GPS calls it JAL-OP-ENO it will forever be called that now :lmao:
Whenever we go, we now turn the GPS on just to hear it again and again. I'm sure there are tons more, but that one is forever in my head.

a talking GPS? wow!!

oh wait, one of THOSE GPS units, eh?

:lmao:

that would just be too funny to have out on the trails!

I live on Hillmeade. My GPS says Hill-la-meade.

Our first favorite:

POW-MIA Highway has 2 other names here... Nobody calls it POW-MIA Highway.. except the Garmin!

She calls it powmia highway (sound it out instead of using the initials) :rotfl2:

My GPS tells me to take the "mead-ow brook parkway" instead of meadowbrook. My friend's tells him to take "Corporation" whatever whenever the street says Co. whatever.

Mine's REALLY stupid!!! Everytime we have to make a right turn, she says, "turn RICE onto Main St. and then make another Rice onto 22nd St." :confused3

You'd think that would be an easy one!!!

Our first favorite:

POW-MIA Highway has 2 other names here... Nobody calls it POW-MIA Highway.. except the Garmin!

She calls it powmia highway (sound it out instead of using the initials) :rotfl2:

I wonder if you're in my area?

The GPS unit would really be confused if they called it the 'Road to Nowhere' (that's the local's name for the road here - it does sort of go somewhere now)

Not GPS, but my old cell phone could "read" texts.

"Flabbergasted" was pronounced fla-BER-ga-sted.

I noticed mine, if it's unsure of the pronunciation, just seems to smoosh the letters together and say the street name as fast as possible and hopes I won't notice or something. :rotfl: The other night, it called McNutt "Mignitt," and it had all kinds of interesting pronunciations the last time we were in Orlando.

I love when it says "Please turn right on Martin Luther King Doctor" instead of Drive.

The Garmin pronounces Greenwich as it's spelled, Green-witch.

The pronunciation is actually Gren-itch, but we always say that the GPS is smarter than we are and says it right. :laughing:

And it sounds even stranger the longer I have it. Good thing it shows exactly where to drive! Some names I would never guess for being the actual road it leads me to.

Ours can't say U.S.S., it says 'us' instead. It also get snippy if we don't follow the directions exactly. :rotfl:

We have a Garmin Nuvi named Giles. We set the voice to be a British man.

It's so funny. Not only does he pronounce street names weird but then he does it in a very charming and polite British accent! :lmao:

I wonder if you're in my area?

The GPS unit would really be confused if they called it the 'Road to Nowhere' (that's the local's name for the road here - it does sort of go somewhere now)

ahahah I think I know where you are.. down near Reading?

We have ours set on the female british voice and we noticed in the summer when we use it in America she had trouble with Los Angeles, I guess she thought it was Spanish and pronounced it Los An..hell es. Las Vegas was Lars Vegarse and Hollywood was Holl..ay..wooood. We noticed in France she has a problem with Disney too, she says Parc Dis..nay. Also the way she tries to pronounce French names are dodgy to say the least!!

Ours doesn't do street names (that I've noticed) but we do have it set to a British voice & I love when it says 'take the motorway'. The first time it did that DH & I found it waaay too funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter