Odd question here...weight loss/gain on vacation?

MakinMagicforBunky

Mouseketeer
This is a bit strange I'm sure, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

We're going for a week, on the dining plan, so we'll be eating some pretty hefty meals some nights. I'm on Weight Watchers and doing a darn good job, but am not going to be too worried about points on vacation..it is a vacation after all! With that said, I don't wanna come back 5 lbs heavier either, yk?

So, does all the walking balance out the eating out every meal? We're hitting the parks and then back to the hotel pool most nights (I hope), should it all work out in the end?

I don't plan to overdo the meals, but I do look forward to some of the yummy stuff I've read about on the boards here, stuff that I wouldn't eat on a 'normal' day!

Thanks!

We didn't do the dining plan but I did eat more than normal, especially the sweets, but managed to come back at the same weight so I think all that walking helped me "break even" - though keep in mind my family was calling me a disney commando... ;)

I think if you skip the desserts or don't overdue them you should be fine. There is a LOT of walking at all the WDW theme parks. One of the things we love about our WDW vacations is the great variety of food. Like you I would not hold back on any of the meals. You may also want to try diet soda or water with your meals. Every litte bit helps!

i've been on WW for 2 1/2 years now. the last time i went on vacation, i ate whatever i wanted and came back the same weight i left at. all the walking i did kept the weight i would have gained away.

I was also doing weight watchers when I went in June, I figured I could eat what I wanted because of all the walking I was doing, but sad to say I gained 4lbs when I came back :guilty:

I think everyones different, and its just going to depend on your body. I'm on the dining plan this time, and I'm going to eat whatever I want...Hey I'm on vacation....right?

I'm in agreement with not watching when you're on vacation. I gained 5 lbs during my month stay in FL (8 days in WDW) and we really did the commando thing...I'm thinking that I would have gained more had I not done all the walking.

In addition, I drank a lot in World Showcase, something I never do at home and this might have been the contributing factor to my weight gain.

But it's gone now that I'm eating clean again and I'm gearing up for my next gain in May!

I do WW and the week I go to Disney is the week I give myself permission to cheat! I go knowing the dining situation and I enjoy every minute and every meal and every snack with no guilt knowing I will have a gain!!! I am careful all year and that is one time I don't want to be on a diet. I just weigh in when I return, take the gain and start back on program. But that is just me!! princess:

I've done ww for 3 years and NEVER worry about points while @ WDW or any other trip for that matter! I have not done the dining plan @ WDW, however, I eat what I want while i'm there, i've gained. Then you just come back and as the previous person said, you weigh in, you take the gain, then you just get back to counting points. The weight comes right off! Don't cheat yourself on vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am currently on Jennie Craig's and have lost 40 pounds. I want striving to lose another 30 before I go to WDW in August. I am going to try to watch my portion sizes but I am going to enjoy Disney dining (I don't have the plan) and we are doing alot of character dining this time. I just want to maintain but I figure with the extra walking I can lose if I don't over eat.

I ate what I wanted (on the dining plan) and drank lots of water. Had one margarita during our 10 day stay. I came back 2.5 lbs lighter! All that walking evened things out for me..

Everything balanced out pretty well for us. We were down in Orlando for a month (we rented a house) and we ate out every night. We ate whatever we wanted, but none of us gained too much weight since we walked so much. There's so much walking in the parks that you burn off the calories pretty quick!

I'm afraid that even with all the walking and not bingeing - merely enjoying myself with food and drink - I come back about 10 pounds heavier. But I gain weight very easily and I usually work out 90-120 minutes 6 days/week so all that walking still doesn't equal the intensity of what I do at home.

Went last August. Had the dining Plan. Ate more than usual. Drank more water, lbut less alcohol. Walked all over.

Sad to say....gained a pound per day.(Five in five days.)

Going for six days this year. Guess I better get busy and lose 6 before I go!

I know it's bad of me to think this. . . but misery does love company. . . Gingereebs, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gains on WDW trips. :lmao:

I can't believe so many of you don't gain weight! What am I doing wrong?! I almost ALWAYS gain 5-7 lbs per trip (for a 7-10 day trip, which varies each year). Fortunately, I lose it not too long after we get back home, but still. Yes, I eat what I want while I'm there. . . but I walk MILES each day. . . oh, well -- it's worth it! :mickeyjum

I lost 74 lbs on WW right up until we went, then unfortunately, I gained 13 in the 7 days we were there. I honestly don't know what I ate when I was there that was that bad (ok, the donuts might have hurt, and I know the ice cream bucket at Typhoon Lagoon didn't help ;) ). Anyway, I lost 9 the first week I was back and the rest was gone by the end of the third week.

Three weeks of behaving after returning was well worth the indulgence while I was there. Since you have been doing well, I'd say live it up. We are going for the dining plan in October, and I am shooting for another 50lbs. lost by then, but regardless, I am off plan while I'm there. I find that the weight that's gained that quickly is obviously a lot of water, and it comes off almost as fast as it went on.

A lot of us always gain on vacation, even with all the walking at WDW.

I actually lost about 11 pounds the whole time I was at WDW. I felt very sick to my stomach the whole trip. It could have been homesickness, as I was with my friends in my high school band and not with my family. Because of the feeling sick, I couldn't eat a lot. Trying my best to keep up with my friends in the park was a real workout too. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that if I had the chance to go to WDW again, it would be very different.

Last year on our trip to WDW I ate waaaay more than I normally do( and also more fattening food). With all the walking we did, I lost 3 lbs. over the 5 1/2 days despite all my overeating. I think it all depends on the person.
ENJOY!!!! You're on vacation.

I gained about 4 pounds while in the magical place. But it was gone in the next 10 days. I ate more than usual and had a few drinks that normally I dont have. The fun was worth the 4 pounds regardless!!!!!!!! :cool1:

I've not done WW, but have been on the south beach lifestyle/diet since we got back from WDW last year. I've lost over 30 lbs, with another 10/15 to go...
FWIW, I've learned that the body is a funny thing. If you are on a diet for a long time, your body can get used to that diet and you will hit a "wall" where you have to either increase the intensity of your exercise or restrict your diet even more. I've been told that when this happens, another way to lose weight is to take a "day off" of your diet and eat anything and everything that you want...BUT, you have to be able to get right back on that diet. I've had a hard time doing this as I don't want to gain my weight back. I didn't restrict myself as much during the holidays though and found the weight comes off really easily when you get back to the restricted diet. I would think that would also be true with taking a week off...as long as you get right back on the diet.
My feelings are this...you are on vacation to enjoy yourself. Don't beat yourself up for having a few indulgences while you are there. Just stay focused when you return and get back to work with your WW as you will with the rest of your regular life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter