Odd question..anyone have an MRI done who has a permanent retainer in their mouth?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
DD has to have an MRI tmorrow, I completely forgot she has a permanent retainer in her lower teeth...by the time I realized the imaging center was closed..I tried looking it up online and it appears that it can be done,that braces can affect the results...but looking for anyone who may have personal experience. We are in a severe time crunch due to her leaving for college and hope that we can still have the test done...

Thanks,

Pam

Depends on what imaging she's having done. If it's of her head, I would imagine that it might be an issue. I know with braces it leaves weird spots on the scans. If it's a scan anywhere else, it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

well, it is her head....suffering from severe migraines...sigh, guess I will know more tomorrow. So the issue is with results, not with anything dangerous during testing involving metal and magnetisim?

It isnt dangerous but do be sure to tell the tech when you go in the room.

Dental fillings (while usually unaffected by the magnetic field, they may distort images of the facial area or brain; the same is true for orthodontic braces and retainers)
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/index.cfm?pg=sfty_mr

Good luck tomorrow! Hope it goes well. :)

well, it is her head....suffering from severe migraines...sigh, guess I will know more tomorrow. So the issue is with results, not with anything dangerous during testing involving metal and magnetisim?

It is a strong magnet, I can't say for sure it won't fly out of her mouth (which would be cool to watch), but chances are no, there won't be a problem with that. The problem is in what the metal does to the rays or whatever does the scanning. I believe it blocks them or something creating white spots which isn't good. Some of the slices may come out fine but some of the slices may come out wrong.

DD had to have an MRI last week for headaches/jaw pain. She had full upper & lower braces on, which had to be removed beforehand, both because they would distort the image AND because there was a chance of some of the metal brackets or wires coming loose & causing damage :scared1:.

She is one happy kid right now - she may have a messed up jaw, but she gets to keep the braces off for at least 6 months while they work on the jaw problems.

She's entering her senior year - I wish luck to the doctor who has to tell her it is time to put them back on!!!!;)

thanks everyone...I called this a.m. and eas told it was fine, that the material used in the retainer is not an issue...so I sure hope so! It is cemented on so if it were to go "flying off"..:scared1:

I have a permanet retainer on two of my top teeth. I had an MRI of my neck with no problem. Good luck.

I can't say for sure it won't fly out of her mouth (which would be cool to watch),

I don't know about that! Did you (or anyone else) see the Royal Pains pisode a couple of weeks ago where they did the MRI on the lady? She had gone Out of the country to have a breast augmentation, and her Bf had them install a tracking device w/o her knowledge. When they did the MRI, it was trying to come out through the skin! :eek: It was freaky!!!

well, the retainer did NOT fly off....which is good :thumbsup2
We won't have results made available to us by DD's doctor until Tuesday, but we do have the CD of the images...pretty wild getting to see DD's brain :magnify:
so, even though we can see the images, we know nothing about reading them, we are just finding things like hidden Mickeys etc.:thumbsup2
DD did fine for the test, popped in my Aerosmith CD and zoned out.

I have a permanent bridge that has a metal back. I had an MRI of my head awhile back with no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter