October Trip booked.... Are APs in our future and are they a gateway drug for DIsneyland?

whoever

DIS Veteran
Well the hotel stay for October is booked... now we have to figure out days in park and tickets. 8 nights at the DLH. To give the most flexibility in our plans, 5-day hoppers for the rest of the family probably isn't going to work (I'm on a PAP). We are looking at the Deluxe APs which will have no blackout days during our October stay, and will likely allow us to visit in February as well. The AP definitely pushes you to attend more and in our case at least spend more as we'll stay on-site and dine at the flagship restaurants. At the price of regular admission we would likely make somewhat different plans. The AP really does influence attendance decisions IMHO, and while we aren't probably contributing to the overcrowding situations, I can see how local availability to drop in certainly could.

Yeah every year I go back and forth in my mind on whether to get an AP. I have never had one. I would visit more to get my money's worth if I had one, and in many ways that would be wonderful (my DD would be so happy). But then I think it is also kind of wonderful to wait for an annual trip. I don't know, I don't know. Maybe I will get one this year. But then I think of how the heck I would explain it to my husband who loves Dland but has his fill at a 2-day visit once a year. When I win the lottery I am getting one for sure....

Annual trips (even every other year) used to be our thing, but with the family growing and the kids aging into certain attractions, we find ourselves going more and more (two family trips last year, one for just the wife and I, and two solos for me). This year will be two family trips as well, and when I look back at what I spent for our last trip, I should have just made the AP plunge then knowing we were going to do this fall as well.

DEFINITELY a gateway drug. We use to be satisfied with one trip a year. I've had AP's twice, with a 6 month gap in between, and the first time I went 5 times, the second one I will have gone 7 times (before pass expires in June). First it starts off as this got-to-get-your-money's-worth mentality. Then, before you know, you're going because you were invited, and what the heck, the pass is already paid for, so it is such a bargain. Before you know it, you are somehow sucked into adding trip 5, 6, 7.........(and I'm 600 miles away.) Extremely addicting!

DEFINITELY a gateway drug. We use to be satisfied with one trip a year. I've had AP's twice, with a 6 month gap in between, and the first time I went 5 times, the second one I will have gone 7 times (before pass expires in June). First it starts off as this got-to-get-your-money's-worth mentality. Then, before you know, you're going because you were invited, and what the heck, the pass is already paid for, so it is such a bargain. Before you know it, you are somehow sucked into adding trip 5, 6, 7.........(and I'm 600 miles away.) Extremely addicting!
Yep! That pretty well sums up my experience, too. Oh, and throw in free flights on SW thanks to the SW Visa and you can talk yourself into quite a few trips :D
Why do you go on 2 solo trips and not include the rest?
I go on about 4 solo trips in a year and 1 with the whole family. Why? (a) because I can't afford to take the whole family every time (can't afford APs for 5), (b) because dh doesn't like to go any more than that, (c) because it's my way to recharge my batteries, which would not work if the family was with me, and (d) because I love to go with my friends and/or my sister for a girlfriend trip. That's a whole different kind of visit.

The quick answer to your title questions are "Yes" and "Yes."

APs are great. I think the deluxe AP definitely pays for itself, especially if you're going for more than 1 longer trip in the year. It's definitely a gateway drug though. Before my family did APs, we only went once or twice a year. Now, we're there at least once a month, perhaps more often at times. But we only live about 90 minutes away, so it's also partially how close you live to the parks.

APs are a good choice for us even though we only visit once per year. We do the Deluxe AP and visit twice before the 365 days are up. For example, this year we need to renew, so we'll buy them now and activate them during the 2nd week of December. Next year we will either go in October for Halloween or right after Thanksgiving and fly home on the day our AP's expire. Because our Disney vacations are long, we average 16 days in the parks over the two trips and that works out to be a lot less than buying park hoppers.

If we weren't planning on going next year, I might consider skipping the AP because they are so ghastly expensive. But alas, we're Disney junkies and there's no way we'll miss a year! *my poor wallet* lol

I didn't realize you could renew so far in advance of activating. That is a pretty sweet deal.

It looks like our longer trips will be pretty well defined by the kids fall break schedule for the next decade. Makes squeezing two fall trips nearly impossible and even with the surge in Halloween crowds the last few years, it is still our preferred time to visit.

DizMe, there is nothing selfish about your solo trips. Nothing.

Matt's solo trips are something that I don't really begrudge him, even if I give him a bit of a hard time. It just isn't feasible for us both to go every time. We have small children and his time is the most flexible. Even the kids don't complain (too much) about being left out. I get my equivalent recharge when I take the kids to visit my family every summer, which he would loathe participating in.

That said, solo trips aren't for everyone. Personally, I would need to take someone...maybe just not my family. ;)

Thanks, Mrs. Whoever and darcie2000 for your sweet words. It was silly to let myself get defensive. Doesn't take much to push my guilt buttons, lol! My dad moved in with us 5 1/2 years ago and sometimes I get tired and resentful which spins into guilt and it only takes a careless remark to bring that to the surface. Here's a funny thing, though--my dad could sense one day that I was feeling stressed and told me to go to Disneyland! :D

But anyway, I never made multiple trips in one year until I got an AP. One year, Costco offered a Deluxe AP for something like $249 and you got a $50 Disney gift card in the deal. That was my first AP and I've had one every year since! That's when I did just as others have said and began going more often because "it's practically free!" and I would get great AP deals on the hotel. At that time, SW also had flights for $25 each way from time to time. I can't remember when that was...maybe 8 years ago? Everything has gone way up since then, but I'm still able to rationalize a trip with my friends because 4 of us share a room, we all have APs, 2 of us (who live in the same town and fly down) now have SW cards so we fly on points. It's easy to discount the initial cost of the AP and feel like you're getting in for nothing :) I really can't think of many other getaways where I would have so much fun and only spend about $200 out of pocket for expenses, not counting food and spending money. I'm pretty good at keeping those things low, but food and drink can sure add up if you're not paying attention!

My dh goes on guy golf trips 3+ times a year, and I think it's a healthy thing for both of us to have our individual getaways. Our main vacations always include the kids but usually aren't to Disneyland.

Amy, you should join us sometime for a girls trip! Disneyluvr2, lcasa and I are going to the Bob Gurr roast in June. That should be fun!

I been on the fence about getting the AP as we will need 5 of them.. That's a lot of money.. We live like 4 hours away and I am sure we would be going more.. But then also have to get a hotel. Back and forth I go.. We love Disneyland.. If I could go all the time I would :D We are hoping to go in April.

I definitely agree that having an AP is a gateway drug! I just got my first DAP in March and was initially thinking about doing 3 trips, but now it's looking more like 5. I would never have considered doing the 24hr party, bit I'm like, hey it's like free admission, so why not??!! Everything else definitely adds up quick though so I have to keep that in check. There's a strong chance I won't renew in March, but maybe wait to do it closer to the holidays.

I LOVE going solo! I have done one solo trio so far and will be going solo for the 24 hr party. In between are family trips. Disney is my hobby, so that's where I choose to spend my time and money. DH is an artist on the side so he goes on art retreats. It's good for us to have our own interests. DS7 enjoys DLR but he's never upset when I go without him. He prefers Legoland so we are taking him in August. Every family is different. What may work for one may not work for another.

Of course it is! ... but I love it, we live also like 90 minutes away and we are there every other week...

I didn't realize you could renew so far in advance of activating. That is a pretty sweet deal.

I don't think renewing works that way - renewed passes stay active. I had PAPs for myself and my DGD, expiring on May 2nd. I'm taking a trip in May but my DGD is not coming with me, so after speaking to a CM I decided not to renew her pass because the next time I take her will be in December. At that time, I will have to purchase a new AP for her. I couldn't renew her pass and have it "not activated" until December. It would have been active from May 2, 2015 until May 2, 2016 the same way mine is. I couldn't see paying for her AP for nearly 8 months when she won't be using it.

It's a money crunch for me. I live in CANADA so I'm not getting my fix regularly. But we still got APs because we were there for 14 days and it was worth it. Even if you only do 2 trips, as long as it makes it a better deal than regular tickets, go for it.

APs are a good choice for us even though we only visit once per year. We do the Deluxe AP and visit twice before the 365 days are up. For example, this year we need to renew, so we'll buy them now and activate them during the 2nd week of December. Next year we will either go in October for Halloween or right after Thanksgiving and fly home on the day our AP's expire. Because our Disney vacations are long, we average 16 days in the parks over the two trips and that works out to be a lot less than buying park hoppers.

If we weren't planning on going next year, I might consider skipping the AP because they are so ghastly expensive. But alas, we're Disney junkies and there's no way we'll miss a year! *my poor wallet* lol

You could save money by letting your APs lapse and buying new ones for your next trip. EX you go in July one year and June the next, APs expire in July but your next trip isn't until April, just buy the new APs in April and they're good until the next April. That's kind of our plan.

EDIT* Maybe that is what you were saying, and I misunderstood. ??

I been on the fence about getting the AP as we will need 5 of them.. That's a lot of money.. We live like 4 hours away and I am sure we would be going more.. But then also have to get a hotel. Back and forth I go.. We love Disneyland.. If I could go all the time I would :D We are hoping to go in April.

We love going to Disneyland and have had APs twice. We bought our first APs when DD was 1 and got to go several times during the year as a family and as a couple. We lived about a 4-hour drive away. We bought APs again in 2014 (expire next month) and DS was 1. We were only able to go a few times, but it was still worth it. We live about 5-hours away now.

We won't renew our passes, they will expire. Then in a year or so (having a new baby, so probably when he/she is 1) we'll get them again. Yes, it is expensive to buy for a family. However it is worth it if you take one family trip a year. We went for 5 & 1/2 days last summer with extended family. Now we're going for another 5 & 1/2 day trip this year. It is cheaper to buy the APs than to buy 5-day tickets two years in a row. Plus you get a discount on dining and shopping. And since we had the pass we did go for two other weekend trips to see Halloween and Christmas. With current pricing buying two 3-day park hoppers (for a trip this year and next) would cost more than a Deluxe AP.

You could save money by letting your APs lapse and buying new ones for your next trip. EX you go in July one year and June the next, APs expire in July but your next trip isn't until April, just buy the new APs in April and they're good until the next April. That's kind of our plan.

EDIT* Maybe that is what you were saying, and I misunderstood. ??

:teacher:......yep! :flower3:

Every year we go on a long Disneyland vacation, usually an 8-night stay each trip in December. But instead of going the same exact week each year and having to update our APs each time we go, we flex our dates so we can fit two calendar years of holiday trips into one AP.

We don't renew our APs because @707MickeyGirl is correct, it'll keep the calendar rolling and we don't want that. Ours expired last December and I'm planning on letting them stay expired! Instead, we just purchase new APs with our Disney Visa for points and activate the passes when we arrive at the parks. :)

Yep! That pretty well sums up my experience, too. Oh, and throw in free flights on SW thanks to the SW Visa and you can talk yourself into quite a few trips :D

ha ha, DizMe, you're so right. SW cheap flights are the other contributing factor that I left out. I hit the parks 4 times from Feb - April on $49 flights. (saving points to hopefully plan a DW trip at some point) --Now if SW would just expand to Redding, -alleviate that 2.5 hour drive.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter