• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

October is here!!! A Semi-live TR!!! Our Oct 7-14 trip to the world!

I'm going to guess that it was showing the times for the next two busses.
Second only to the "are we there yet" game.

Yeah...it may have been that - but for some reason it was confusing...I think because it was Saturday they have certain busses that run only weekends and others that don't run on weekends...so they have numbers with letters at the front to mean different things? Anyway...luckily it all worked out lol.

I can't really tell, what was that?

OMG it was this dessert bar type thing. It had this buttery toffee sort of cookie crust on the bottom, then a layer of marshmallowey goodness, and then topped with a thick layer of really good chocolate. Simple but delicious. And far better than the Johnny Rockets fries that I missed out on.

You're 0 for 2 in the paid musueum game.
I can see how he'd be bored.
Just two days ago, I spent a fair amount of time walking around a photo contest display.
When I was his age, I wouldn't have even glanced at it.
He looks pretty happy there, though.

Yeah...the paid museums haven't been the most successful part of this trip I have to say. I recommend sticking to the free ones lol. Although we did miss the Newseum which I would have liked to see...but what can you do. I do appreciate the perspective about art galleries....he is 12 after all. He was content to read his book in a cool room though...so we got to rest our feet anyway....

Oh, I sure hope that night tour happens! :goodvibes

It did :) Back with an update after breakfast if I have time before we head to the airport :)

A few years back my family took a trip that took us through DC and I found it interesting to look at as a Canadian. One thing I found really neat was that the Canadian Embassy is the only one on Pennsylvania avenue. It's a bit like how Canada House in London is in Trafalgar squire in London.
Here's a link to my photos just of Washington DC and the entire trip

Hey thanks for sharing your pics!! I took a lot of similar ones!! Totally agree with you on the Canadian Embassy...it was beautiful...and really big!! Lucky us lol

Washington Mini report Day 5 update
Yesterday (Sunday) was our last full day in DC. We got up and again enjoyed our (free) Hampton Inn breakfast. In case anyone's interested...I went with a toasted cinnamon bagel and cream cheese with a side of Trix yogurt :). DS had lucky charms. After breakfast, we came back to the room...and of course...bribed him with one episode of Spongebob to get out the door in half an hour.

We decided to go check out the Smithsonian museum of Natural History because DINOSOARS! Of course! And the huge elephant in the atrium is pretty cool too. They had some really cool exhibits there - easy to see why it's a favourite. They had this really cool exhibit where they had skeletons of a zillion different creatures from a tiny mouse up to giant whales and cows and stuff. Really interesting to see it the way it was presented. We saw gems and minerals and the Hope diamond...huge! And of course dinosoar bones and fossils and quite a bit of other neat stuff.

I had heard that the museum had a pretty decent cafeteria so we decided to check that out for lunch. Apparently so did everyone else...it was...packed....and rather disorganized. It was good because they had all these different stations with different types of food...BBQ, sandwiches, salads etc. and something for everyone...except...there were people everywhere and it was hard to tell where to get in line for different things. I wanted a salad and DS wanted a hot dog....so I showed him where (I thought) he should get in line for a hot dog and I told him to stay there...and I turned around to go look for salad. Meanwhile...DS ...just couldn't handle the chaos. He has some sensory issues and he is mostly getting better about them...but this place was just too much...so instead of staying in line..he followed me...sigh. So I said, you have to go back in line for hot dogs. He had a bit of a meltdown because he kept saying show me where to go and I don't know where the line is....ahhhh. So I went back and ditched my plan for a salad and started to wait in line with him (again) for a hot dog. But then...DS realizes that we don't have a tray...so I (shoulda learned the first time) said "you stay here and I will go get a tray" So I walk off in search of a tray....and DS follows me....ahhh out of line again!!! We get a tray...and get BACK in the hot dog line...for the third time!!! ugh...Finally we get a hot dog...and by this point both our patience is done...so instead of the nice salads I saw being freshly made in (another) long line...I grabbed a premade one and a red velvet cupcake because...I deserved it after all the frustration (go with me).

We paid for our crazy expensive museum restaurant lunch and found a seat at the end of a long table of cheerleaders, and ate our lunch...After lunch...I wasn't sure what to do because DS was not in a great mood and I was a little tired and frustrated. But I really didn't want to spend our last afternoon at the hotel. We decided to check out the Air and Space museum in the city (as opposed to the other one we saw on our arrival day near the airport). Luckily this was right what DS needed. He saw some cool planes...and I really liked their displays as well. There was some interesting stuff about how they began flying to Hawaii so I took some time there while DS ran around and saw some jet engines and such. We spent about an hour and a half there and then decided to head back to the room for a break. We headed for the nearest subway stop and were soon ...you guessed it...watching Spongebob lol. But I read a book and had a little rest too so that was nice.

Since the weather was better...we decided to try to hit the Monuments by Moonlight tour at last! We headed over to Union Station and had some dinner there - Shake Shack in case you are wondering. I know...hardly Haute Cuisine...but...we do love some shake shack...we go there when we are in Florida visiting my parents and we don't have it in Canada so...had to do it. After dinner we got tickets to the 7:30 Old Town Trolley night tour (no more Big Bus thankyouverymuch) and then we looked around the train station a bit before heading outside to get on the bus.

This tour was SO much better than the Big Bus. The driver was (a real human) for starters...but he was entertaining and knowledgeable...and best of all..you could actually HEAR him speak! So that was nice. We hit all the major monuments lit up at night and at sunset. We had seen most of them already on our touring during this trip...but it was nice to see them again and learn more about them...as well as see some lit up at night. The bus stopped for photo ops at a couple places and then headed back to Union Station at the end. It was a bit of a late night for DS...but I think it was worth it and a nice ending to our trip.

Now it's almost time to make the trek back to Dulles to head home...sigh...another trip almost over. I will have to come back and put in some pics because right now....the internet is slloooow and we have to get ready to check out and get going! Thanks for following along!!

It's very hard for me to get back here to the DIS, but I am trying and I've read all of your updates. I have loved them. It's been a long time since I went to DC (except for a day trip to attend a conference with my boss and Robert Redford)...almost 40 years to be exact. I really ought to get back there. It looks like you and DS had a great trip. Safe travels home.

Wow...I wonder if that's true? Or that they just didn't bother building a subway there and now...it's a bit ordeal...who knows.
Okay! So I talked to Kenny and his dad. Weird story about his dad: The day the metro opened all he did was ride around on it for free. But, people who live in Georgetown didn't want a metro station in their area, for crime and to keep 'outsiders' people out, a lot of politicians live there. And apparently there would be engineering issues.

We decided to go check out the Smithsonian museum of Natural History because DINOSOARS! Of course! And the huge elephant in the atrium is pretty cool too.
Love the Natural History museum! :flower1:

wanted a salad and DS wanted a hot dog....so I showed him where (I thought) he should get in line for a hot dog and I told him to stay there...and I turned around to go look for salad. Meanwhile...DS ...just couldn't handle the chaos. He has some sensory issues and he is mostly getting better about them...but this place was just too much...so instead of staying in line..he followed me...sigh.
I'm sad to say from my experience, this isn't something he might be able to control. If I don't take my medication its worse, and if I do its a hit or miss. But back in March my mom and I went to return pearl earrings she got me for my birthday (I just decided I wouldn't wear them because they seemed a little too fancy for me) and we were going to pick something else out. Well, it was wedding day or whatever at the jewelry store and so there were probably 7 couples there, plus they had all the people who help people pick out jewelry there and I ended up leaving empty handed. It was just too much, and I got too overwhelmed. Now, this hasn't happened since then, and it hadn't happened a while before it.

OMG it was this dessert bar type thing. It had this buttery toffee sort of cookie crust on the bottom, then a layer of marshmallowey goodness, and then topped with a thick layer of really good chocolate. Simple but delicious.

mmmm.... That sounds awfully good!

And far better than the Johnny Rockets fries that I missed out on.

Fries schmies!

It did :) Back with an update after breakfast if I have time before we head to the airport :)

Yay!

After breakfast, we came back to the room...and of course...bribed him with one episode of Spongebob to get out the door in half an hour.

Of course! :laughing:

We decided to go check out the Smithsonian museum of Natural History because DINOSOARS!

Well.. d'uh! :laughing:

They had this really cool exhibit where they had skeletons of a zillion different creatures from a tiny mouse up to giant whales and cows and stuff.

Cool!
And I love how you end with "up to giant whales and cows and stuff".
"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present... the giant Jurassic Cow!... and some other stuff."

We saw gems and minerals and the Hope diamond...huge!

So I read that... and got curious.
It's had an interesting past.
It was the property of French Kings Louis XIV, XV and XVI. Although it was probably never worn by Marie Antoinette since it was meant for the King.
When the Royal family was imprisoned, the gem was stolen.
Now get this. You mentioned that it was huge?

The original diamond the Tavernier Blue was a raw diamond from India.
It was cut down to 112 carats in France and then recut down to 68 carats.
After it was stolen, it was re-cut in an attempt to disguise it, down to the 45 diamond Hope diamond.

So the diamond you saw, is less than half the size of the original!

so instead of staying in line..he followed me...sigh. So I said, you have to go back in line for hot dogs. He had a bit of a meltdown because he kept saying show me where to go and I don't know where the line is....ahhhh. So I went back and ditched my plan for a salad and started to wait in line with him (again) for a hot dog. But then...DS realizes that we don't have a tray...so I (shoulda learned the first time) said "you stay here and I will go get a tray" So I walk off in search of a tray....and DS follows me....ahhh out of line again!!!

Sorry to hear about your DS's sensory issues... but... I'm sorry. I laughed at your predicament.
I think most parents have experienced similar situations.

so instead of the nice salads I saw being freshly made in (another) long line...I grabbed a premade one

Ah, well.... There's always Disney?

and a red velvet cupcake because...I deserved it after all the frustration (go with me).

::yes::

We paid for our crazy expensive museum restaurant lunch and found a seat at the end of a long table of cheerleaders, and ate our lunch

Ah, good. A nice quiet nook.

:rolleyes1

I wasn't sure what to do because DS was not in a great mood

Really? Even after sitting with a gaggle of cheerleaders?

There was some interesting stuff about how they began flying to Hawaii

A lot of running to and fro while flapping arms, I presume.

We headed for the nearest subway stop and were soon ...you guessed it...watching Spongebob lol.

:laughing: No!

We headed over to Union Station and had some dinner there - Shake Shack in case you are wondering.

Never heard of it.
Googled it... boy those burgers look good!

This tour was SO much better than the Big Bus.

Thank goodness!

The driver was (a real human) for starters...

Oh? What is he now?

:rolleyes:

but he was entertaining and knowledgeable...and best of all..you could actually HEAR him speak!

Yay! A good guide makes or breaks a tour.

We had seen most of them already on our touring during this trip...but it was nice to see them again and learn more about them...as well as see some lit up at night.

Must've been some really great photo ops.

Now it's almost time to make the trek back to Dulles to head home...sigh...another trip almost over.

Worst part of the trip.

I will have to come back and put in some pics

Please do! I'd love to see them!

Thanks for following along!!

Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

Okay, I'm finally finding time to catch up ...

I dragged him out of bed because...when your hotel has free breakfast...and it's pretty decent....you DON'T go elsewhere where you'd have to PAY for breakfast.

And that's why free hotel breakfast is great. Its free and convenient!

It was pretty good...but like everything in the US...it was HUGE. I ate just over half of it and called it quits

Yeah, we're big eaters. Half the time when I go out for food I end up bringing half of it home ... although I guess you couldn't do that if you weren't going straight back to the hotel.

ound a restroom so DS could wash the neon orange goop from his hands after eating Cheetos (don't judge...I'm not fighting with him over food on this trip...refuse).

Cheetos are cheese-like and cheese has protein, so it's good for him, right?

We BOOKED it over there because we had no clue when there would be another bus after that one so we really didn't want to miss it. We made it on...and then sat there for 10 minutes baking in the heat before leaving...sigh.

Isn't that how it always happens?

My excuse is that in high school (in Canada) it's only offered as a course in grade 12, and I was into maths and sciences...sadly didn't have time for Canadian OR US history at that time

Well, if it makes you feel better, in the US we don't learn Canadian History at all. I didn't know Canada had history ...

I had this bar thing called OMG. And OMG was it good.

So it seems they chose the name well!

It was somewhat interesting...I found the best part to be this documentary where actual retired spies told some of their stories. There was some interactive stuff and games that the boy liked as well...but again...funny how your expectations increase when you are paying a lot of money lol.

I love the Spy Museum ... but I also went into it without a lot of expectations and without having to pay for it (one time I went on a school trip, the other time was with family who paid for me), so I don't know if it's worth the money. But you definitely judge things more when the cost more :)

We are about to head out....some more museums today I think...and possibly tonight we may make that night tour....we shall see!!

I hope you got to the night tour!

So apparently I missed today's update ...

We decided to check out the Air and Space museum in the city (as opposed to the other one we saw on our arrival day near the airport). Luckily this was right what DS needed.

I'm glad he enjoyed! I've heard it's not as good as Udvar Hazy, so I was worried that you'd say he hated it, but it's good to know you found just the thing to pick him up!

This tour was SO much better than the Big Bus. The driver was (a real human) for starters...but he was entertaining and knowledgeable...and best of all..you could actually HEAR him speak! So that was nice. We hit all the major monuments lit up at night and at sunset. We had seen most of them already on our touring during this trip...but it was nice to see them again and learn more about them...as well as see some lit up at night. The bus stopped for photo ops at a couple places and then headed back to Union Station at the end. It was a bit of a late night for DS...but I think it was worth it and a nice ending to our trip.

Sounds like it was a great tour! It's always nice to end a trip on the right foot!

It's very hard for me to get back here to the DIS, but I am trying and I've read all of your updates. I have loved them. It's been a long time since I went to DC (except for a day trip to attend a conference with my boss and Robert Redford)...almost 40 years to be exact. I really ought to get back there. It looks like you and DS had a great trip. Safe travels home.

Thanks!! DC was a lot of fun...so much to see and do I imagine it would be hard to do it all no matter how much time you had...and even without a cranky 12 year old with you lol. Robert Redford? Whaaa??? Is there a story there? Or was that just thrown in to see if we were paying attention...? And yes...you should go back there :)

Okay! So I talked to Kenny and his dad. Weird story about his dad: The day the metro opened all he did was ride around on it for free. But, people who live in Georgetown didn't want a metro station in their area, for crime and to keep 'outsiders' people out, a lot of politicians live there. And apparently there would be engineering issues.
Love the Natural History museum! :flower1:

I'm sad to say from my experience, this isn't something he might be able to control. If I don't take my medication its worse, and if I do its a hit or miss. But back in March my mom and I went to return pearl earrings she got me for my birthday (I just decided I wouldn't wear them because they seemed a little too fancy for me) and we were going to pick something else out. Well, it was wedding day or whatever at the jewelry store and so there were probably 7 couples there, plus they had all the people who help people pick out jewelry there and I ended up leaving empty handed. It was just too much, and I got too overwhelmed. Now, this hasn't happened since then, and it hadn't happened a while before it.

Wow, that's interesting about Kenny's dad...and also about how the people of Georgetown didn't want the subway going there. I wonder if they'd still feel that way but now it's late to do it? Who knows...anyway...if you want to get there you can easily enough...but would be nice to have a subway IMHO lol. The Natural History museum was a lot of fun but sooo big. Could have spent a lot more time there.

You are probably right...ie: about my son probably not being able to control some of his behaviour. It's hard to remember that sometimes. He gets overwhelmed pretty easily and I can't always avoid situations that are likely to do that to him...sigh. I do my best but...that wasn't a great choice....I'm glad it doesn't happen to you often anymore though. That does give me hope that some day he will at least be able to manage his emotions a little better.

And I love how you end with "up to giant whales and cows and stuff".
"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present... the giant Jurassic Cow!... and some other stuff."

Ha yeah, I'm so scientific, eh? They of course had all the class/species etc. scientific names for everything too, I just can't remember any of it lol. But I just liked the way they had the skeletons all lined up from small to huge and labelled with what kind of creature they were...just a neat display.

It was the property of French Kings Louis XIV, XV and XVI. Although it was probably never worn by Marie Antoinette since it was meant for the King.

After it was stolen, it was re-cut in an attempt to disguise it, down to the 45 diamond Hope diamond.

Wow, I can always count on you to look up more info lol. That's really amazing though...if the one we saw was half the size...crazy...I certainly can't imagine wearing anything like that around my neck!!

Sorry to hear about your DS's sensory issues... but... I'm sorry. I laughed at your predicament.
I think most parents have experienced similar situations.

Yeah I have no doubt. It was just a bad scene...and I probably should have known better when I saw the layout of the place...but...we were hungry...and I had no clue how long it would be until we'd find food if we didn't eat there so..I decided to tough it out....actually you may laugh (or think me really cruel) but at one point...when DS was in serious meltdown mode...rather than get mad...I whipped out my phone and made like I was going to snap a pic of him with his "about to fly off the handle" face...he got even madder...but at least it sort of helped snap him out of it lol..don't worry...I didn't actually TAKE a picture...though it was tempting ...you know...for the video we'll show at his wedding one day :)

Ah, well.... There's always Disney?

Yes. There is. And I can. NOT. WAIT. But I'm also very glad I'm going with my DD because she is much more...like me in a lot of ways and I hope we won't butt heads as much.

Never heard of it.
Googled it... boy those burgers look good!

Yes, Shake Shack...is AMAZING. I have no idea if there are any in or near Disney or Orlando...we always go in South Florida, and I've been to one in NYC as well...but they seem to be popping up everywhere so...I'm sure if there isn't already one near WDW there will be soon. (I know you'll google it :))

Oh? What is he now?

Yay! A good guide makes or breaks a tour.

Must've been some really great photo ops.

Worst part of the trip.

Please do! I'd love to see them!

Thanks for taking the time to write about it!

Ha...sorry, I just realize how odd that sounded lol. I meant that he was actually a human...and one that was doing the talking about the tour...in person...as opposed to a recorded greeting that you could dial into in one of 15 languages and barely hear over the lound bus noises on the dang BIG BUS tour that we had done previously. And yes...this guy definitely made the tour. The photo ops were really cool and he made sure to drive slowly when there was stuff worth taking photos of.

Yes...and also..the worst part of the trip ...because...we were on a weird plane...I'll share that shortly lol. And pictures coming too :))

Yeah, we're big eaters. Half the time when I go out for food I end up bringing half of it home ... although I guess you couldn't do that if you weren't going straight back to the hotel.

Ha well...not all of you (Americans) are big eaters lol...I think it is more that Americans don't like to pay a lot for a little portion...so if restaurants want the cash...they gotta give you lots of food!! And our hotel room didn't have a fridge...so even if we were going back after eating we couldn't do much with leftovers...sigh. But it worked out well when we could agree on something to share..(which rarely happened...sigh..but we tried)

Cheetos are cheese-like and cheese has protein, so it's good for him, right?

I like the way you think!! In that case...he ate a lot of protein on this trip lol

Well, if it makes you feel better, in the US we don't learn Canadian History at all. I didn't know Canada had history ...

I'm not surprised the US doesn't teach Canadian history much in schools...probably only at University and probably only in very specialized programs for those who are interested. But there isn't much to it anyway....I think I learned all I know about it by grade 9 lol...and that isn't saying much. I remember something about fighting with the US in the war of 1812...but...that's about it lol.

I love the Spy Museum ... but I also went into it without a lot of expectations and without having to pay for it (one time I went on a school trip, the other time was with family who paid for me), so I don't know if it's worth the money. But you definitely judge things more when the cost more :)

Yeah that kind of changes your expectations...ie: having to pay. If someone had given me free tickets I would have thought it was great...but at $42 for the two of us to go in...I wanted more than an hour's entertainment....but oh well...I know they have to make money somehow.

I hope you got to the night tour!

We did...and it was great!

I'm glad he enjoyed! I've heard it's not as good as Udvar Hazy, so I was worried that you'd say he hated it, but it's good to know you found just the thing to pick him up!

It definitely isn't as good as Udvar Hazy...but good enough for what we needed at the time. I just loved the way Udvar Hazy was laid out...it was so open and easy to walk around and see everything...and just the right amount of info about each plan/space shuttle/missile to read but that wasn't overwhelming...and the whole place was just in this relaxing chill light...and it just didn't seem overly crowded or noisy like museums often can when they are busy? I'd go back there in a second. In fact...today when we got to Dulles early for our flight I was a bit tempted to go back!! But that would have been stressful trying to see it and get back for our flight...so I resisted that temptation lol

Sounds like it was a great tour! It's always nice to end a trip on the right foot!

It was...and we did...it's nice to be home...but...also...back to reality...sigh....so I'm avoiding it by hanging out on the DIS for a while lol

Washington DC mini report final update...travel day home :(
Today's report won't have much to it...since...we sadly had to fly home and return to reality...but...since I want to avoid dealing with that for just a little longer....I will tell you about our day...and throw in some pictures that I couldn't post yesterday due to painfully slow internet at our hotel.

This morning was like most others on our DC trip...woke up....DS turned on Spongebob....I cajoled him out of bed to get dressed and down to breakfast. After that...we packed up the room and sat around a bit before checking out of our hotel. We headed out a bit earlier than needed because it was check out time anyway...and we had no idea how long it would take us to get back to the airport. We (well, I) decided we'd take public transit back to Dulles because...$80 cab vs $7 metro and shuttle bus....plus...we had loads of time to kill but our luggage with us so couldn't do much else.

We made it to the airport in plenty of time...to check in and....find out our plane had been delayed. So far by only 30 mins...but I hoped it wouldn't get worse. We got checked in and through security etc...and got to take a train/tram type thing to our terminal...do DS was amused by that. I don't know about you guys...but I find the inside of Dulles looks like something out of the 70's...just the signage...down to the fake wood panelling behind the checkout desks?? It was kind of retro cool though. Once we found our gate etc, we went in search of lunch. DS decided on mini hot dog pretzel nuggets from Auntie Anne's....and I got a turkey sandwich from the Potbelly Sandwich Co. Both were pretty good. Then we picked up some snacks for the plane...which we ended up eating while waiting at the gate...and sat down and waited...and waited...until finally it was time to board...about 40 minutes late...but not so bad.

What was...well, not really...bad..but a little surprising...was this plane...

IMG_1762_zpswreiakng.jpg

This thing was....small...but weird also. I don't think I've ever been on a plane where there weren't equal numbers of seats on either side of the aisle?? It was odd. Also..there was only one flight attendant...and since the flight was so short...the poor guy was run ragged trying to get snacks and drinks served and then the garbage picked up before it was time to land!! I did not like the look of that plane but thankfully, it was actually a smoother flight than the one on the way there!! When we landed...we actually had to walk down actual steps onto the tarmac and then into a super long long long.......walkway back into the main terminal and to customs etc. That took forever!! But thanks to Nexus...we were through customs and our luggage was waiting by the time we got to the carousel and we were home before long. All in all...a pretty good trip despite some frustration with DS... and next time I will go with my gut on what tours to take!!!

Here are some other pics....

DS at the Natural History Museum

NatHist_zpskdq5lcyu.jpg

DS in front of the MUCH RECOMMENDED Trolley tour

Trolley_zpsnn7dly3u.jpg

Courthouse (don't mind someone's arms in the way lol)

IMG_1752_zpsvniu1elh.jpg

Really cool Iwo Jima monument shot (if I do say so myself) and @pkondz please google that one lol

768e8b7c-f750-47c8-8cd0-59922393aa79_zpsy1we31s5.jpg

That's about it for this mini report.....and soon I will be back to dreaming about Disney lol

we sadly had to fly home and return to reality

Boo!

This morning was like most others on our DC trip...woke up....DS turned on Spongebob....

:laughing:

we packed up the room

You did? How did you fit it all in the suitcases?
And how many suitcases do you need per bed?

We (well, I) decided we'd take public transit back to Dulles because...$80 cab vs $7 metro and shuttle bus....

::yes::

our plane had been delayed. So far by only 30 mins...

That's not too bad.

This thing was....small...but weird also. I don't think I've ever been on a plane where there weren't equal numbers of seats on either side of the aisle??

Looks like a Canadair RJ.
I took one from Winnipeg to Chicago.
Small, cramped. Yuck.

When we landed...we actually had to walk down actual steps onto the tarmac

::yes:: Common for smaller planes. The gates aren't built to accomodate small aircraft.

The elephant! I was hoping to see that!

DS in front of the MUCH RECOMMENDED Trolley tour

:laughing:

Really cool Iwo Jima monument shot (if I do say so myself)

I agree! Good shot!

and @pkondz please google that one lol

I did! Although I knew most of the story already.
If you haven't seen Letters From Iwo Jima and/or Flags of our Fathers (both directed by Clint Eastwood) you should take a look.

The photo of the flag raising at Iwo Jima is probably the most famous photo from WWII.
There was some controversy that it was a staged shot, but video footage proves otherwise.
Also the flag rasing is actually the second flag that was raised.
The Secretary of the Navy came ashore not long after the first flag was raised and decided he wanted it for a souvenir.
So they got a bigger flag and put that one up in its place.
Sadly, three of the six men in the picture were killed in action within days of the photo being taken.

and soon I will be back to dreaming about Disney lol

I'm so far behind on commenting - I keep reading on my phone, but I hate posting from it!

But I totally get the part about getting more lost on buses than subways. Subways have stops, with names, in a certain order! So, even if you can't understand the announcer (mumble, mumble, mumble), you can at least look at the signs and know your stop is next. With buses, if you don't know where you are, you have no idea when you need to exit! So, they are nice because you can see everything, but not so nice for actually knowing where you are!

It does look like you got to see a ton of stuff in DC! You got to a bunch of museums I've never seen - although I haven't been to DC in years. (One family trip as a teen, one conference in grad school, one research trip to the National Archives in grad school - those last 2 trips didn't really include tourist stuff.)

The mint where they produce the daily use coins is in Winnipeg the one in Ottawa produces the proof sets sold as collectibles.

Good to know!!!

Looks like a Canadair RJ. I took one from Winnipeg to Chicago. Small, cramped. Yuck.

::yes:: Common for smaller planes. The gates aren't built to accomodate small aircraft.

It was a EMB145...and odd plane, that's for sure...And yes, small and cramped. There was one (rather large) guy complaining as he was struggling to get on his seatbelt...the flight attendant asked if he wanted to move to a row where he could have two seats and he said "but I paid extra for THIS seat, I'm never flying United again"...uh...ok.

The elephant! I was hoping to see that!

Yeah that elephant was pretty awesome...Night at the Museum, right?

I agree! Good shot!
I did! Although I knew most of the story already.
If you haven't seen Letters From Iwo Jima and/or Flags of our Fathers (both directed by Clint Eastwood) you should take a look.

The photo of the flag raising at Iwo Jima is probably the most famous photo from WWII.
There was some controversy that it was a staged shot, but video footage proves otherwise.
Also the flag rasing is actually the second flag that was raised.
The Secretary of the Navy came ashore not long after the first flag was raised and decided he wanted it for a souvenir.
So they got a bigger flag and put that one up in its place.
Sadly, three of the six men in the picture were killed in action within days of the photo being taken.

I definitely want to see those movies now. I knew I'd seen that image before...but didn't know much about it. Sad that they died soon after...at least they got a cool memorial :) I thought the sky looked neat also in the pic...almost looked like it wasn't actually outside...they had some weird lights shining up at it.

Thanks for reading!!

I'm so far behind on commenting - I keep reading on my phone, but I hate posting from it!

Hey you're lucky you can get on the DIS on your phone at all...mine always crashes!! I'd like to be able to catch up on my phone too...but I guess not being able to post would be annoying if you're there reading anyway!! Sigh...

But I totally get the part about getting more lost on buses than subways. Subways have stops, with names, in a certain order! So, even if you can't understand the announcer (mumble, mumble, mumble), you can at least look at the signs and know your stop is next. With buses, if you don't know where you are, you have no idea when you need to exit! So, they are nice because you can see everything, but not so nice for actually knowing where you are!

It does look like you got to see a ton of stuff in DC! You got to a bunch of museums I've never seen - although I haven't been to DC in years. (One family trip as a teen, one conference in grad school, one research trip to the National Archives in grad school - those last 2 trips didn't really include tourist stuff.)

We did do a lot in DC considering it was only 4 1/2 days and also considering it was about a thousand degrees and I had a cranky 12 year old with me lol. I actually never thought of DC as "the South" but apparently it is?? I never knew within such a short flight of Toronto you'd be in "the South" and that it would be SO HOT at the end of June lol. I figured it would be the same as at home...you know hot-ish...but not...oven like. So that was a bit of a surprise. But we made the best of it. I too had not been there for about 20 years and that last time it was for work so I did a trolley tour but that's about it...so it was nice to spend a bit more time there. I'd still like to go back either...sans kids or when kids are a bit older so I could actually spend a little more time in the museums and galleries....

And yes...I think you've got the reasoning with busses...much more complicated to know where you are and they don't travel in straight lines as much...oh well...we managed.

Thanks!! DC was a lot of fun...so much to see and do I imagine it would be hard to do it all no matter how much time you had...and even without a cranky 12 year old with you lol. Robert Redford? Whaaa??? Is there a story there? Or was that just thrown in to see if we were paying attention...? And yes...you should go back there :)

Yes, there was an actual story there. My boss was the director of a huge program based in Washington for a number of years. They would put on seminars, conferences, etc. One of the conferences was on the Quiz Show television scandal years and years and years ago. Robert Redford had just directed "The Quiz Show" based on those scandals and was doing a conference. I got invited so hubby and I flew down there for two days in order to go to the Museum for a part of the day and to see hunka hunka Robert Redford.

All caught up! Sounds like a really great trip all around! You did end up seeing quite a lot and went to quite a few places. ANd I agree, the Trolley sounds like a MUCH better way to do it for sure.

I was curious too and did the same research. Oddly, mine turned up the same facts. ;)

Thanks for the wonderful TR! It was awesome to read about!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter