October 17, 2009 Western

:sad1: I just got an email from my MIL that my younger brother-in-law and his family are not going with us. I don't know why not. My BIL seemed really psyched about it when we last talked. They have a 5-1/2 year old and 3 year old triplets :dance3: . I can't begin to imagine what it's like to take a long trip in their family. Too daunting, perhaps.

Frndpooh, are you flying, driving or taking the Auto Train? We love the Auto Train, but I suspect it will be significantly cheaper to drive. The last I checked, even with the AAA discout, it would cost us about 700.00 on the Autotrain. Of course, depending on the price of gasoline a year and a half from now, it might be six of one/half a dozen of the other.

Frndpooh, are you flying, driving or taking the Auto Train? We love the Auto Train, but I suspect it will be significantly cheaper to drive. The last I checked, even with the AAA discout, it would cost us about 700.00 on the Autotrain. Of course, depending on the price of gasoline a year and a half from now, it might be six of one/half a dozen of the other.

We're going to drive. We always drive to WDW. My parents live at the southeastern tip of South Carolina, and it's a convenient stopping point about 30-45 minutes off of I-95. Depending on how often the kids need to stop to go to the bathroom, it takes around 8-9 hours to get to their house, then another 5 or 5 1/2 to WDW or Port Canaveral. A few times, we've driven straight through (such as for our trip to WDW last month), but we usually stop. I've always been interested in trying the Autotrain, but the cost usually dissuades us.

Sorry to hear about your BIL's family. Although I'm sure you're disappointed, it's better to find out now rather than a week before the cruise after the plans are made and the payment is nonrefundable.

That's a sweet deal having your parents two-thirds of the way there and on the correct side of the state for a convenient visit. Have you ever picked her up on the way and taken her with you to WDW? I've thought about asking my mom to join us on the cruise but up until last December, her husband has been too sick to travel. Now, he's passed away. I wonder if she'd feel like a fifth wheel without him.

My mom lives in Florida, near Tampa, so we've driven to Florida a number of times but only twice straight through. Since Dh does most of the driving, when he says no more all-nighters, that's the way it is. I just can't stay awake after a few hours of driving. Things might be different this time. After a lifetime of thinking I hated the stuff, last year, I discovered that I actually like coffee. Who knows? Maybe, it's time to give driving straight through another shot.

One thing is for sure, the novelty of flying has definitely worn off. I remember when flying was part of the fun of a vacation. Now, even if it was the same price as driving, we would not be interested. LOL, I can't believe I'm finally old enough to say I remember the good old days about something.

That is a bummer about my bil and family, and your right about it being better to find out now. Each family is making its own arrangements for this trip, but my mother and father-in-law have offered to help pay for it. If any of us did cancel too late to get the deposit back, it could create hard feelings.

My parents have Annual Pases and go to WDW more often than we do! We've gone with them a few times, or sometimes they join us for a couple of days of our weeklong trip, but we always drive separately from their house (we can't all comfortably fit in one car). Since they are also very familiar with WDW, they do their thing and we do our thing. We spend a lot of time together, but not all day every day. It's also gives us the oppoirtunity to have them take the kids for an evening to let DW and I go off on our own.

We also took my MIL last year in December. I get what you're saying about the "fifth wheel" concern, but we made an effort to include her in the planning and the touring to avoid that. We had to adjust our thinking a little bit, but it worked out well and everyone had a great time. Although she is on her own like your mother, my FIL passed away 17 years ago so her perspective may be different than your mother's. If she's up for it and your family is willing to change your vacation habits a little to accomodate her, then I say go for it.

I also agree completely with your comment about flying. I also remember the "good old days" of air travel, but they are long gone. We're in the process of trying to plan a trip to Dinseyland and San Diego in October and, of course, that would require flying. It's mainly to use up my frequent flyer miles that I accumulated years ago when I was flying more regularly. It's amazing the hassles and planning necessary for a simple flight. Our kids really would like to fly (they never have), and I'm convinced that going through the ordeal will cure them of any desire to do it again!

Your Disney trips with your parents sound great. It sounds like you have it down to a science.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're going to get your wish concerning the airport experience dampening your kids enthusiasm for flying. At least, that's not the effect flying has had on our kids. Even though they've experienced flight delays, cancellations, full-blown security checks, turbulence, and even dragging their own luggage from one end of the Atlanta airport to the other in the middle of the night, they still think traveling by plane is pretty cool.

Thank you for sharing your experience about taking your MIL along with you on vacation. That's helpful. It is something we might do, taking my mother, when she's ready to do it. For now, she's too newly widowed. I just talked to her last night (we only talk about once a month). She's doing as well as can be expected but not ready to "go out and play". She did just go back to work (part/time) a couple weeks ago.

On another subject, I'm wanting to go on a shorter Disney cruise in September with my husband. The first time dh and I decided we wanted to go on a cruise just the two of us was for our 10th anniversary. Well, that was on December 31, 1999, and dh was convinced there was going to be a Y2K disaster. That plan was scrapped. The next time we started planning we got as far as deciding on an itinerary, and I was about to book it, when we wound up admitting to each other that we really didn't want to take our first ever cruise without the kids. (We really like traveling with them.) Although I didn't know anything about DCL, I knew that cruiselines had children's programs. My research led me to DCL and we agreed it was the best compromise. The rest is a story that you've heard a million times. We're hooked. Anyway, since we have no vacation plans this year and since my mom (who lives 2 hours from Cape Canaveral) would love to have the kids visit her, I think the timing is right for a parents-only cruise.

Your parent's only cruise sounds like a great idea! We've done some "parents only" trips but usually small things. There would be a Pouting Festival for sure here if we cruised without the kids. Not sure we could stand it!;)

My DW agrees with you about whether or not the kids will hate flying after the California trip. She thinks they will still be in love with the idea. I'll just keep hoping!

Your parent's only cruise sounds like a great idea! We've done some "parents only" trips but usually small things. There would be a Pouting Festival for sure here if we cruised without the kids. Not sure we could stand it!;)

Well...there will probably be a Pouting Festival here too, but, it might also be the right time to tell them that if they are very good, we'll take them next time. ;)

I haven't booked it yet, but I did get the green light from DH. He and the boys have been away this weekend, and I want him to be with me when I book the cruise so he can see the available rooms and pick the one he wants. If they're available, I bet you he picks one of the same exact rooms we've had before. LOL. Is that a "guy thing"?

It's official. I booked a parents-only cruise for this September. Dh surprised me about the room request. He wants to do this cruise for cheap and asked me to book category 11 rooms. I can dig that. It's about 600 dollars cheaper for a category 11 than a category 6 on this sailing.

Good for you! You all are going to have a great time. What a great way for you two to celebrate the end of summer and beginning of school!;)

Congratulations on booking for September! Category 11 should be perfect for 2 people. Is it a 4 day or a 3 day?

Oops! Looks like DW and I both posted around the same time under our joint username. Well, we both hope you have a great time!

Mr. FoP

Oops! Looks like DW and I both posted around the same time under our joint username. Well, we both hope you have a great time!

Mr. FoP

Thanks, both of you. How are we going to know who is Mrs. FoP and who is Mr. FoP? Are you two going to play tricks on us like my twin nieces used to do to their teachers? As for us, dh doesn't post here. In fact, I'm so sure he never visits this site, I can tell you what I got him for Valentine's Day. I'm going to the mall tomorrow to buy him a new bathing suit for our cruise in September.

Thanks, both of you. How are we going to know who is Mrs. FoP and who is Mr. FoP? Are you two going to play tricks on us like my twin nieces used to do to their teachers?

Hmmmm, this could get fun. ;) Actually, I (Mr. FoP) have been the one to post almost everything on this thread until recently. I do most of the posting related to planning our trips, and DW does most of the posting about everything else. She is by far the more active poster, but I scan the boards frequently and post occasionally if something relates specifically to us (like this thread!).

When we both posted around the same time, I was pretty surprised that the Dis let us both be logged in at the same time on two different computers under the same user name. We'll try to be more clear in the future, but here's a tip if you get confused - I tend to write more formally than she does. She's the fun one!

We'll try to be more clear in the future, but here's a tip if you get confused - I tend to write more formally than she does. She's the fun one!

Or.. :idea: ..maybe, you're trying to trick us.

Congratulations on booking for September! Category 11 should be perfect for 2 people. Is it a 4 day or a 3 day?

Four days! I wish it were seven, but this will be the first time my mom will have her grandchildren with her without dh and me there as well. We'll call this the practice run.

Four days! I wish it were seven, but this will be the first time my mom will have her grandchildren with her without dh and me there as well. We'll call this the practice run.

Without kids, the extra relaxation that you'll get each day may make a 4 day just as relaxing as a 7 day with kids!

Our last (and only) cruise was the 4 day this summer. We had a great time, but we certainly could have used a few extra days. As a result, we rebooked while onboard, and I immediately grabbed the 10/17/09 cruise the morning that the 2009 came out.

I know what you mean about leaving the kids. Our first time leaving the kids was for an anniversary trip to WDW (returning to the scene of our honeymoon), and both of our mothers stayed in our house with them for the week. It worked out fine, and later overnight trips were a breeze. I'm sure that your mother will do fine with them, and you'll have a great time on your cruise! :sail:

Mr. FoP

I know what you mean about leaving the kids. Our first time leaving the kids was for an anniversary trip to WDW (returning to the scene of our honeymoon), and both of our mothers stayed in our house with them for the week. It worked out fine, and later overnight trips were a breeze. I'm sure that your mother will do fine with them, and you'll have a great time on your cruise! :sail:

Mr. FoP

I know my mom will be fine. She just gets to be a little hyper-spazz when we come down to see her. She doesn't get to see us much (once a year at the most) and she wants to go everywhere and do everything, especially with the kids. It will be a matter of dh and I getting her to understand that the kids don't need a three-ring circus to be content. Oldest ds and our daughter like to bake with her. I think dd will surprise her with how well she can crack an egg now. I think by September she'll have the difference between whisking and stirring down, too.

My parents are divorced, and my father lives closer to us - about 3 hours away. The children visit overnight with him and his wife every few months. That's party time to them. Sugar, junk food, and more sugar all weekend long. Bedtime? I don't even want to talk about it. Dh and I don't get bent about it.
We're glad the kids have loving grandparents in their life.

Hi, Princess Jackson,

Welcome to the thread! :grouphug:

Welcome, Princess Jackson. We're a small group so far, but we have plenty of time to grow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter