October 10, 2016 - Disney Dream

Been lurking for a while. It's those fuzzy bunnies that get me. Anyway, looking forward to this cruise and trying to slip a summer one in after we do our Star Wars one in Feb.

I am coming forward: I'd like to coordinate the FE Exchange for our cruise!

For basic info and definitions, please see: http://www.disboards.com/threads/fish-extenders-101-can-someone-educate-me.2259129/#post-33184281

On my first cruise, the gifts were very simple representations of where you are from, but it is up to each person/cabin to decide what you want to gift and whether or not you want to include any name or contact information on your gift. (It can be nice to compliment someone, or ask where you can find more of something, but anonymous pixie dust is just as magical.)

Because not everyone cruises the same way, I will have four lists:
  • Kids Only (17 and younger) -- gifts from kids to kids;
  • Adults Only (18 and older) -- gifts from adults to adults;
  • All Ages -- gifts from cabin to cabin, regardless of age;
  • Last Minute Pixie Dust -- for people who sign up after the initial deadline has passed (and open to anyone who is willing/able to come up with last-minute gifts to include these folks)
The first three lists will "close" two months before we sail, Wednesday, August 10, 2016. I will send each participant a copy of their group list by the end of that weekend.

The fourth list will close Friday, September 16, 2016 (leaving four full weekends/three weeks before sailing), and I will send each participant a copy of the group list that evening.

I will post an updated participant count for each list every month. This will be just a general count; you are not "committed" until deadline day!

And the rules will be very basic:
  • Whichever FE list you join, you will be expected to gift each and every cabin on your list;
  • Gifts can be a single item "cabin" to "cabin" or to each individual (if by individual, please do not leave anyone out!)
  • Respect food allergies (who wants to spend their vacation in a hospital?)
  • Have fun!
If you are interested in participating, please send me a Private Message that includes:
  • DIS Screen Name
  • Cabin Number (as soon as you have it, but not required until deadline)
  • Which FE group/list you want to join
  • Number of adults in your cabin, including first name, gender and age (surnames optional!)
  • Number of children in your cabin (if applicable), including first name, gender and age
  • Special celebration
  • Food allergies
  • Any other information that would be helpful to a gift-giver, such as Special Needs or Favorite Characters
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

-- Ali

For basic info and definitions, please see: http://www.disboards.com/threads/fish-extenders-101-can-someone-educate-me.2259129/#post-33184281

On my first cruise, the gifts were very simple representations of where you are from, but it is up to each person/cabin to decide what you want to gift and whether or not you want to include any name or contact information on your gift. (It can be nice to compliment someone, or ask where you can find more of something, but anonymous pixie dust is just as magical.)

• Last Minute Pixie Dust -- for people who sign up after the initial deadline has passed (and open to anyone who is willing/able to come up with last-minute gifts to include these folks)
The first three lists will "close" two months before we sail, Wednesday, August 10, 2016. I will send each participant a copy of their group list by the end of that weekend.

The fourth list will close Friday, September 16, 2016 (leaving four full weekends/three weeks before sailing), and I will send each participant a copy of the group list that evening.

I will post an updated participant count for each list every month. This will be just a general count; you are not "committed" until deadline day!

• Whichever FE list you join, you will be expected to gift each and every cabin on your list;
  • Gifts can be a single item "cabin" to "cabin" or to each individual (if by individual, please do not leave anyone out!)
  • Have fun!
If you are interested in participating, please send me a Private Message that includes:
  • DIS Screen Name
  • Number of adults in your cabin, including first name, gender and age (surnames optional!)
  • Number of children in your cabin (if applicable), including first name, gender and age
  • Special celebration
  • Food allergies
  • Any other information that would be helpful to a gift-giver, such as Special Needs or Favorite Characters

-- Ali
I am new here and I am not sure how to send a PM. However, I would like to join the FE game for the Oct. 10, 2016 Disney Dream Cruise. Could you let me know how to send my information to you please. Thanks so much for your help.

Woopigsooie

• Have fun!
  • DIS Screen Name
  • Special celebration
  • Food allergies

-- Ali

Hi Ali,

I am new to Disboards. I am wanting to sign up for the FE game for the Oct. 10th Dream Cruise but I am not able to send you a private message. Can you help me out please?

Thanks so much,

Anna

I am very new to this and am wondering if someone can please explain the fish extender thing to me. I am interested in participating but need more details please!!! Thanks!!!

I am very new to this and am wondering if someone can please explain the fish extender thing to me. I am interested in participating but need more details please!!! Thanks!!!
WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish:
fish holder wonder 2012 1408 100_7536.JPG

The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish. By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. This is basically an organizer-type hanging bag with separate pockets for each person in the room: door magnets 4 wonder oct 2011 256 100_3589 1500.jpg

The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plain. Some are store bought, some are homemade. Search "Disney fish extender" and you will get options that range in price. You should make sure your Fish Extender is between 8" & 12"" wide. Otherwise it starts to get in the way of your stateroom door. It should not exceed 5 feet; otherwise it will hit the floor. If you are creating your own it is suggested you make the pockets a little deeper than normal too. It will keep items from falling out and keep curious hands from reaching in (average depth is 5-6 inches)but 8-11 is a better way to go if you are making it yourself

They also make up gifts (either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise).

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

• Have fun!
  • DIS Screen Name
  • Special celebration
  • Food allergies

-- Ali

Hi Ali,

I am interested in the FE game for the Oct. Dream cruise. I sent you a PM (or at least I think I did) with all of my information but I am not sure if you received it. I am new to the DIS Board so I could have done it wrong. Please let me know if you received it and if I am missing anything.

Thank you so much. We are so excited.

Anna (Woopigsooie)

The previous organizer had to cancel her cruise and I am now organizing an FE. If you wish to join in the fun, please PM me with the following information:
Your name
Cabin Number
Number of adults
Number of children (if any) Please include gender and age of children
Please let us know if there any allergies. Safety First!

Also, feel free to join our other group on the other site which is located at the PLACE THAT WE SHALL NOT NAME

Super stoked!

I have decided to purchase a handmade Fish Extender for the cruise. Post pictures of your Fish Extenders. I would love to see what everyone uses.

I have cruised before but never on Disney. My husband is afraid that he won't like it. He thinks there is nothing to do for adults. Please help me out. What can I tell him?

I have cruised before but never on Disney. My husband is afraid that he won't like it. He thinks there is nothing to do for adults. Please help me out. What can I tell him?
Our first cruise was a Disney cruise, my husband now says he cant imagine going on any other cruise. I can say its not too over the top disney, You see characters around but not too much. There is alot of adult stuff to do. They have an Adult only pool area and plus the night life is awesome!! We have just booked our 3rd Disney cruise and know there is more to come we loved it that much

Ok so I'm a little confused, are there more than one person doing FE?
Typically, whatever the size of the FE list (be it 10 rooms, 20 rooms, or more), when you join a FE group, you agree to provide at least one gift per room on the list one time during the cruise.

Some people gift more often, or gift to each person in each room.

The previous organizer had to cancel her cruise and I am now organizing an FE. If you wish to join in the fun, please PM me with the following information:
Your name
Cabin Number
Number of adults
Number of children (if any) Please include gender and age of children
Please let us know if there any allergies. Safety First!

Also, feel free to join our other group on the other site which is located at the PLACE THAT WE SHALL NOT NAME

Super stoked!

Hi! I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing so bear with me. How do I PM? I would like to do FE but don't really know much...any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing so bear with me. How do I PM? I would like to do FE but don't really know much...any help is appreciated. Thanks!
To start a private conversation (what PMs are here) you click on the person's avatar that you want to converse with and then click on the "Start a conversation" link in the next window.

One note, anyone wishing to participate in a conversation must have at least 10 posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter