Oct. 12, 2013 - WONDERful cruise from Galveston

Thanks. I am going to start preparing. I've done two half marathons, but that has been a couple of years. I have slacked off of the walking and running, so it is time to gear up!
I appreciate the information.

She's even talked me into doing the 5k with her. I'm going to start training now. It would be awesome to run the whole thing with out stopping!!!

Hello to all. My wife and I will be cruising with our 3yo daughter in October. First cruise for me & kiddo! Excited to read all the fun stuff.

lucky1 said:
Hello all!

We will be joining you on this cruise. This is our 6th DCL Cruise and will be our 4th time on the Wonder. We have done 4 night Bahama (Magic), 7 night WC (Magic) 7 night NYE EC (Wonder), 7 night MR (Wonder), 7 night Alaska (Wonder)

We are from Arizona, so now figuring out to get to TX...

Lucky1 - Laura
DH - Bruce
DD11

Not sure if we will join FE, but I am sure DD will talk us into it. Is there a cut off date to sign up.

Also DD is looking for other girls her age who will be in the Edge.

I will go back to look for the FB group contact name, but would like to join that as well.

Welcome to the group! I am from Arizona too! You can friend request me, Kate Mickley & i will add you to fb group. :)

Anyone else on the Oct. 12th Wonder from Galveston planning on running the 5k on CC? I just ran the Color Run in Tulsa and had a great time! I am not a pro by ANY means and may need to be dragged across the finish, but I am dedicated! Who else is planning to run?!

Awesome! I am not looking forward to the humidity, but getting to jump into the cay afterwards is TOTALLY worth it! :beach:

Do walkers and runners all start at the same time?

OH! I didn't realize my posts were moved to this page! I wondered why the first one I posted "disappeared"!! Happy to have found them both! Sorry for the repeat!

We are super excited! This will be our first time on the Wonder, 2nd time on Castaway Cay. We have been on the Magic Twice and we LOVED it!!!

Anyone else on the Oct. 12th Wonder from Galveston planning on running the 5k on CC? I just ran the Color Run in Tulsa and had a great time! I am not a pro by ANY means and may need to be dragged across the finish, but I am dedicated! Who else is planning to run?!

My daughter-in-law and myself are going to participate. My concern is how hot will it be when we get off the boat. I'm used to humidity, that happens every day. The races I have done in the past have always been in cooler weather. Has anyone been there in October before to know what the weather will be like?

imatex said:
My daughter-in-law and myself are going to participate. My concern is how hot will it be when we get off the boat. I'm used to humidity, that happens every day. The races I have done in the past have always been in cooler weather. Has anyone been there in October before to know what the weather will be like?

We went last year it was 77 when we docked. Got up to like 86 in the heat of the day. Slight breeze. Fantastic weather.

We just booked our 2nd Disney Cruise for 10/12 a couple of weeks ago on the whim after hearing about some of the specials to sail out out Galveston, TX. :woohoo: Coming from Edmond, OK and will be sailing with my DW, DS (7) and DD (5).

Is there a FB group for the October 12th sailing? Are there any DVC member activities during the cruise?

CamMad06 said:
We just booked our 2nd Disney Cruise for 10/12 a couple of weeks ago on the whim after hearing about some of the specials to sail out out Galveston, TX. :woohoo: Coming from Edmond, OK and will be sailing with my DW, DS (7) and DD (5).

Is there a FB group for the October 12th sailing? Are there any DVC member activities during the cruise?

Yes we have a facebook group. Pm me your em ail & I will add you.

We made the decision tonight to book on the Oct 12th cruise out of Galveston. Myself, DW & DS are from Lafayette,LA... We're all very excited as it's our second cruise. DS13 loved the edge on the Dream last time and is hoping there will be other "dude's" to hang with.. lol
I'd like to be apart of the Facebook group

Yes we have a facebook group. Pm me your em ail & I will add you.

Hi! I tried to PM you but since we are new members I have to have 10 posts before it will let me? Just tried to put it in this message and got the same error msg. My FB name is Lisa Pagan Sein. Hope this is what you need to add me to the FB group.:)

I guess we should start the list.

Here is what I need: cabin family name (last name or disboards name)
cabin #
Relationship-1st names of adults
Relationship- 1st names of children and age at sailing

Example my cabin:
Dramamama cabin # 6110
DW- Denise
DH- Wes
DS- Anthony- 12
DD- Theresa- 10

The gifts, # of gifts, and when you deliver is up to you.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We would love to participate in the FE!
CamMad06
We do not have a cabin # at this time
DH - Eddie
DW - Lisa
DS - Cameron - 7
DD - Madison - 5

Just wondering if anyone else is planning on running the Castaway Cay 5k? We will be on the Disney Wonder for the Oct 12th-7 night from Galveston. I did the color run a few weeks ago and it was so much fun. I am NO avid runner. I finished in 44 min. I am setting a goal for 35-40min on Castaway Cay. Anyone else?

Just looked into this! Did not know about this the last cruise. I will run with you! I just finished the OKC Memorial Half and am doing the Half Marathon in WDW in Jan 2014. This should be so fun! What part of OK are you in? We live in Edmond.

Smith70592 said:
We made the decision tonight to book on the Oct 12th cruise out of Galveston. Myself, DW & DS are from Lafayette,LA... We're all very excited as it's our second cruise. DS13 loved the edge on the Dream last time and is hoping there will be other "dude's" to hang with.. lol
I'd like to be apart of the Facebook group

Did we get you in the fb group?

Hi there, excited to join the group!

We just returned today from a 8 night cruise on the Magic, the last one from Galveston for her (the TA sails tonight). Couldn't wait too long to join the fun again.

We booked this cruise to celebrate as both of our son's have birthdays on the cruise.

Would love to join the FE list:

Beaglefan Room# 7560
DH (Kevin) - me
DW (Liz)
DS (Kevin, Jr. turns 5 onboard)
DS (Sean, turns 4 onboard)

Counting down the days!

Let me add my two cents for being a Houston native:

Taxis are expensive, so the best bet in getting from the airport is Disney transportation, a car service, rental car with one-way drop off, etc.

Also, I have stayed for business at the Marriott airport hotel IAH, and it is NOT up to Marriott standards. If you have flexibility, I would not stay near the airport, not a great area, and not much to do. Very industrial, not a lot of places to eat, etc.

I would make the effort to get down to Galveston that night, you would enjoy a relaxing and easy commute the next morning and reduce the stress to start your cruise.

CC 5K:

With regards to the 5K, we just ran it this week on CC and it was nice. They had water 4 times along the route, so even thought it was way too hot it was nice to say you did it and to burn some calories. They have a cheap "winner" medal they pass out (same one you get for winning Pub Trivia, etc), but we splurged on the $25 t-shirt that was nicely done at the shop next to the start/finish line. Some people ran it, others pushed strollers and walked the entire way.

What they won't tell you - if you have kids, they open the kids club on CC early enough that you can drop them off and still make it to the starting line in time for the race. The Navigators showed that the race began at 9a, and the Club opened at 9a. I even called Customer Service the night before and they said the same thing. When I went to the meeting spot on the ship, however, they clearly said the Club would be open for us to drop off the kiddos (confirming prior reports on this board) and mom and I both ran it!

5 months seems so far away! It has been 5 hours since we left the Disney Magic and I already miss it.

BeagleFan thanks for the information about Houston. I am hoping to take DCL transportation from the airport, if we can get a decent flight into IAH. Too Bad SWA does not fly into there.

Does anyone know if DCL will transport you the day before to post to a hotel there, if you book air on your own. I know if you book air through DCL, they may book you at the Marriot or down in Galveston.

Even though you said the Marriott was not that nice, I have a room booked there just in case. Just seems that much easier.

Is anyone else planning on going to Atlantis for the day when at Nassau?

I have always wanted to go, but the prices are outrageous. Reading the boards, it seems like a way to save some $$ with just a little extra effort is booking a room at the Comfort Suites hotel. Per hotel room you get 4 wrist bands/admissions to most of Atlantis.

They have a great deal now for $159++, total of $232. This would allow me to get 2 adults and 2 kids into Atlantis. I believe the shore excursion via Disney is $160/adult and $110/child, so over a 50% savings. The only additional charge by doing it on your own is taxi fare of $4/pp.

Has anyone successfully done this before that is going on this cruise? Seems like plenty of others on the board have, so I thought I would share and get any tips/advise.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter