Numbness in leg the day after donating blood

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by chip 'n dale rule, Nov 14, 2012.

1. chip 'n dale rule

chip 'n dale rule Mouseketeer

Has anyone ever had this happen? I've had a strange loss of sensation in my left leg all day. It started in my calf and now it's more in my toes. The outer part if my left thigh is sore as well. I may be slightly under the minimum weight to donate. I thought maybe the loss of blood volume was the cause. Thoughts??

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. happygirl

happygirl DIS Veteran

I wonder why they would let you donate if you were under weight limit?

4. Wish I lived in Fl

Wish I lived in Fl DIS Veteran

I am not a medical person at all- But could it be a blood clot?

5. tinkerbellandeeyor

tinkerbellandeeyor DIS Veteran

Maybe she thought she weighed enough I thought I was 120 till recently found out I lost a little weight. BTW last time I donated I got so dizzy I am grateful to this day I made it home and to my bed with out fainting. So I am not donating again.

6. scrapquitler

scrapquitler DIS Veteran

I would start by drinking a bunch of extra water, which you should have already been doing both before and after donating blood. I would also call the phone number that is on your blood donation paperwork (they always give me a paper with a phone number to call if I have any questions) and ask them if this is something you should be concerned about.

Another thing that I will mention, which may or may not be relevant (I'd ask the Red Cross people) is that whenever I donate platelets, my arms and legs get numb and they give me tums to counteract it. They said this is common, but I don't know if it is specific to platelet donation or all blood donations.

7. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

No.

8. dakcp2001

dakcp2001 <font color=darkorchid>Am I wrong to want a cashie

I am a nurse and this was my thought as well. The odds are highly unlikely, but you better get it checked out because odds are it is something totally unrelated to the blood donation, but it is not at all normal. Does your calf look bigger than the other? Loss of a pint of blood would not cause the symptoms you are having. Do you smoke? On birth control pills? Sit a lot? I'd get it checked out asap. Not normal. Better safe than sorry.

9. SLCborn

SLCborn Mouseketeer

No it's not normal. Did the pain start as feeling like a charley horse or cramp? Is any part of the affected area warm? If so I wonder if you have a DVT. Honestly I'd be in the DR office or urgent care asap!

Hope you feel better soon!