Nudity and Stabbings and Hypothermia, Oh my! First DCL Cruise (Fantasy, 9.5.15) ** Slide Show 2/8

Chapter 3: Embarkation Day!!

The kids - much to my dismay, as I am not a morning person - started stirring in their individual beds around 7:30. Someone probably should have warned me before I had kids that they are opposed to sleep. Especially early in the morning. Caden does not quietly “go back to sleep” when he wakes up before the rest of us. He rolls, adjusts his covers, sighs, and sniffs.

Which of course woke up Megan. Connor (my favorite child in the morning) would have slept through the whole thing except Megan was in his bed, so her crawling on him woke HIM up. He was a little grumpy about this. He and I are completely on the same page about this. : )

Promptly at 8 there was a tapping on our door – they were here to get the luggage! We had done some reorganizing the night before so we could send most of it with Disney and just our backpacks and one other piece of luggage went with us (I think it just had our dry swim suits and dinner clothes, all we’d theoretically need before dinner). I’m glad the luggage porters pay attention to detail – I had been using our largest piece of luggage as a bedside table since my side did not have one, and laid my glasses on it the night before. They saw them when they took the luggage out and came back to return them to me. While I wear contacts most of the time, losing my only pair of glasses would have NOT been a good way to start the trip!

Since we had no plans but breakfast, we hung out in the room as long as possible, being lazy and watching TV. Just before ten we headed out for the short walk to the food court.
Beautiful morning!

TR11.PNG

Our plan was to eat a LIGHT breakfast, as cheaply as possibly at Disney, since we’d be getting all-we-could-eat (and already paid for) food. This plan did not come to fruition as they all wanted different things and sleepless Megan had turned into a beast. She wanted a cinnamon roll. I had planned to buy a “platter” of pancakes, eggs, etc. and split it between the kids. This resulted in her hanging on my leg, crying, and basically making a scene. Shawn was trying to go healthy and wanted a parfait, and I figured I’d split a bowl of oatmeal with Megan. So he was waiting in a separate line for those items and couldn’t help. This girl was really starting to harsh my vacation chill. Finally we both got our food and met up at the cashier line and got to wait there. This was a Saturday morning and the food court was body-to-body people. The boys were taking advantage of our distraction and entertaining themselves by doing silly things like dispensing all the straws from their little box and walking around backwards. As quickly as we could we picked out drinks (I was shocked when I finally found them and saw that milk was like $4 for a single-serve bottle! Ugh. We should have gotten water and fruit and called it a day). Breakfast was $40 by the time it was all said and done. Then we had to run around and find napkins, straws, syrup, butter, salt, pepper…not the nice quiet start to the day we were wanting.

The food was decent. The boys split the pancakes and the meat and had some of Shawn’s fruit. Megan and I split an oatmeal. No one had the eggs, turned out they were the gross powdered ones. I hoped they had real ones on the ship! At this point I had to take a couple of deep breaths and pull myself together as I was NOT in the best mood. We hadn’t even left the resort and Megan’s mood was really dragging me down. One of those starts where you’re praying “Please I don’t want to regret this vacation!!” I am going to try not to grouse too much about it on this trip report because probably the only thing worse than your own kid acting like a hose beast on vacation is reading about someone else’s! But when I look back on that morning all I can remember is feeling completely frustrated with her! Really though, she is a fabulous and funny kid when she does get enough sleep! : )

We walked back to the room and grabbed our last bag so we could check out by the 11:00 deadline and then went back to the main lobby to meet up with our cruise rep. She had us sit down at a table in the little restaurant and told us to have our cruise documents ready and to be ready to hop onto the bus when she called us (in other words, don’t let your kids run around like maniacs!). Since we were sitting I suggested the boys work on homework. We couldn’t find their pencils though and figured they’d left them on the plane. So Shawn went to the gift shop to buy some, and Megan’s whining recommenced. He was gone FOREVER because after he found them, he had to go back and buy sharpeners so we could actually use them. I kept asking Megan if she needed to go to the bathroom since we had at least an hour long drive ahead of us and she hadn’t gone since this morning. She kept arguing that she didn’t. After about twenty minutes, Shawn returned just as we were getting the signal to start packing up. And guess who suddenly needed to pee? So he hustled the boys together while I ran off with her. This was not improving my mood.

However, THIS sight did wonders for it after we got out of the bathroom! The last leg of our two-day journey was underway!

TR12.PNG

Shawn volunteered to sit with Megan as I was clearly not her biggest fan at this point. That worked well because he spent most of the 90 minutes trying to convince her to nap for her own sanity and mine, and did not succeed. I always envy the people who have kids who will fall asleep anywhere! Caden sat in front of me, and I sat with Connor to help him with his homework, which took up most of the drive. In between papers, though, we’d watch the video playing overhead showing us all the cool things we’d get to do on the Fantasy. I kept sneaking a peek at Waze on my phone to see how close we were. It was exciting to see the blue water of the Indian River on the map getting closer, and just behind it the Atlantic Ocean!! Go to sleep, grumpy girl!

TR13.PNG

The driver soon announced that we were all about to get our first glimpse of the Fantasy and to get those cameras ready. As we crested the next hill we saw the two Mickey funnels in the distance! NEARLY THERE!

TR14.PNG

It was about 1:15 and I had no idea what to expect crowd-wise. Our bus parked, we were given instructions to have those papers ready, and to grab our carry-on and head on in. One short trip up the escalator and we were in the lobby and in the check-in line. The line looked a little longer than it actually was when you take into account the sheer volume of check-in agents available, along a LONG desk stretching down the entire side of the room. The two younger ones were convinced we’d be in line for the entire week, but it barely stopped moving. In less than ten minutes we were at the desk and smiling (some more fakely than others) for our IDs. The agent told us our room was ready and we could go straight there to drop off our bags. THAT was a pleasant surprise! One advantage to arriving after one, I suppose. She also assured us there’d still be tickets for the princess gathering and character breakfast but we needed to get to Deck 5 right away as they are first-come, first-serve.

Minnie Mouse was in the terminal also and Megan had seen her, but the choice of waiting in another fifteen minute line and walking onto the ship was a no-brainer for us. We assured Megan that Minnie would be on the boat, and headed into the Mickey tunnel!

We didn’t buy the embarkation photo (we look pretty sweaty and frazzled), so you’ll have to take my word for it that we posed for that, and then it was our time to board. We gave the CM at the door our name and told him how to pronounce it but there was a bit of a language barrier, so it was kind of mangled when he announced us. But we knew who we were, and stepped aboard anyway!

Caden was predictably blown away. The lobby with the peacock glass chandelier is truly an amazing sight. Connor was confused because he thought it would be taller (we found it later he was essentially expecting a floating, tall skinny skyscraper despite all the pictures he’d seen). I was really anxious to explore the ship but I wanted to do it as a family so I dragged everyone up two flights of stairs to deck 5 and followed the signage to Port Adventures. I’m sure the kids felt duped by now because we’d been promising them that once we got on the boat the vacation would begin and we’d stop shuffling from line to line. And the first thing we did was jump into another line!

At least the view of the lobby was good!

TR15.PNG

We only waited about 15 minutes and we received our tickets to the character breakfast - which would be Tuesday at 7:45. This was Grand Cayman day and we didn’t even plan to get off, so other than losing a chance to sleep in, this was good news. Our princess gathering and Elsa/Anna meeting were both Thursday morning, and that’s a sea day so that worked perfectly too.

Tickets in hand, we headed up two more flights (I was determined to use the stairs as much as possible this week to offset the crazy amounts of food we’d be eating) as we were dying to see the room we’d read so much about. It was just a little aft of the midship staircase. I was stunned by the space when we walked in. It was beautifully decorated and the storage areas were amazing. Other than trying to figure out how to pull out the boys’ beds (turns out you can’t without a key), we didn’t spend a lot of time exploring all the details – although we did check out the balcony. I knew right away this would be a favorite place of mine! The first thing we noticed out there was that when we looked up, we could see the windows in the bottom of a hot tub on Deck 11, as that deck juts out around the ship. We could see little kids in goggles looking back at us, it was pretty funny. I'll add more details later, since at this point we didn't hang here long.

TR16.PNG

We’d heard that the Enchanted Garden was open for lunch, but they must close at 2. We went all the way down to Deck 2 just as they were closing up. We didn’t feel like taking NINE flights of stairs up to Cabanas, so we did cheat and use the elevators this time. They weren’t too crowded at this point, I think the main lunch rush was over. I love the artwork with all the flying characters you see in the elevator shaft on the way up. Disney’s attention to detail is incredible.

We walked past the pools to Cabanas and were greeted with the hand-sanitizing wipe CM’s – they are posted at the door of every dining room and Cabanas which I think is a fabulous idea. I expected a light lunch offering of sub-par buffet food but I was blown away by the choices available. Pizza, salad, chicken, pastas, fruit, sushi…I kept walking thinking I’d hit the end but at each doorway you passed into a new section with MORE food. I got a little bit of everything. Caden got pizza and Megan got chicken fingers, and Connor found his favorite food in the whole world – shrimp. I think he ended up getting some sort of shrimp dish every day.

TR17.PNG

We stopped back by the room to decide what to do next and found our luggage had arrived, everything was accounted for. We then tried to go down to the Oceaneers club for the open house, but they were closing up for the muster drill. So instead we went to that. Not much to say about it. It was in the Buena Vista Theater for our section of cabins, so at least we got nice comfy seats instead of having to stand out on a deck somewhere. Kids were bored but no one acted up. Here is how these three felt about it:

TR18.PNG

As soon as muster was over, we went back to the Oceaneers club. I love the cool, futuristic hand-washing station they use at check-in. Andy’s Room is really cute too. Megan got upset that she could not try on fairy dresses (we had seen them hanging up in the fairy section of the club in online pictures, but apparently in real life they only get them out at certain times). Then she got apprehensive about being there at all, but luckily one of the workers there noticed, bent down to her level and started talking to her about all the fun games they’d play and that they’d even have visitors (princesses) from time to time. She was really good with her, and I was so grateful for the time she took to talk to her one-on-one.

TR19.PNG

The boys, meanwhile, had found video games (of course!). We had taken the games off their kindles for the week, but I knew it wouldn’t take them long to discover the games in the club. We also got to see a demo for a new product coming out this fall (like an Iron Man glove thing), and they each got to try it. During the demo, I felt a vibration in the floor and I was pretty sure that meant the engines were on and I didn’t want to miss sailing away. As soon as it was over, I talked everyone out of the club and into the hallway, where we could see that we were already moving at a pretty high speed. I was really shocked because I hadn’t felt a thing!

We headed out on to Deck 4 as it was the closest exit, and made one last call to my mom and dad to say bon voyage. I really wanted to be up higher and close to the front, so after a few minutes we went up to 11. From there I could see there was an open-air section on 12, and I saw several folks headed up a staircase to it. When I got there, I saw signs indicating it was the adult-only section of the ship, but the two CMs manning the staircase entrance said kids could go up there at this time only, just to watch us sail away, so we headed up as a family. I guess the party was going on by the pool, or we may have missed it while in the club, but I was happy to be where we were. The view was spectacular.

Let’s get this party started!

TR20.PNG

Really enjoying your report. We just booked our first DCL cruise for January 2017 and are very excited. Anxious to see how it all went for you guys. Great start.

We plan on one night at WDW before our cruise too. Nine nights following.

I can't help, but to smile and giggle while reading your reports. I love your writing style and hearing about your family and trip! It reminds me of my littles. My daughter is just like Megan. 4 and when she's cranky, boy she lets you know it, but otherwise she's a blast. Lol. Also, she'd totally do the nudity bit. Can't wait to hear the rest!

I can't help, but to smile and giggle while reading your reports. I love your writing style and hearing about your family and trip! It reminds me of my littles. My daughter is just like Megan. 4 and when she's cranky, boy she lets you know it, but otherwise she's a blast. Lol. Also, she'd totally do the nudity bit. Can't wait to hear the rest!
Thanks for joining, Kara! I'm glad you can relate. I am trying to be as honest as possible but I'm afraid that "tired Megan" is going to come off as a most unpleasant child. And she's really not! We're just in that weird "kind of needs a nap but only some days" phase and we never know which Megan we're going to get!

Chapter 4: Dinner at Enchanted Garden

We went back to the room to change for dinner. I had a few minutes to take in some of the details about the room. Here is a good shot of the cabinet/dresser area.

TR22.PNG TR23.PNG

There were six pretty deep drawers. We each claimed one for our casual clothes, underwear and socks. I put PJs and swimwear in the sixth. The cabinet on the bottom right housed the mini-fridge. We stored miscellaneous items in the cabinet on the bottom left. Medicines, lotions and sunscreen went in the upper-right cabinets above the TV, and our water bottles went on the shelves to the left of the mirror. Books went into the cabinet on the upper left, and we put games in the trunk that sat in front of the couch. There was plenty of room for shoes and the five backpacks in the closet in the entry hall, and all five carry-on bags plus our large checked bag fit under the bed. Plus there was room for our pop-up hamper next to the closet. I never felt overwhelmed by our stuff at all. In fact, I bought a closet-organizer and it hung unused in the closet all week!

Caden and Megan are ready to go! By the way, there is glass on that veranda railing. These pictures freak my mom out.
TR24.PNG

We arrived around 5:47 and there was no line/crowd to get in to the Enchanted Garden. This would be our only meal in this dining room. We were seated in a long row of half-booths (the kids were in a bench seat on one side of the table, and Shawn and I were in chairs on the other). We were at Table 100, a table for six. Even though we were seated at our own table, the other tables are always closeby so if you WANT to get to know others, you can. Table 99 next to us also had four young kids and they chatted with ours on several nights. I am guessing you see more kids at the earlier seating but I never saw any tantrums or wildness going on in the dining rooms. I did see some parents pulling kids out for some “attitude adjustments” and I’m 100% supportive of that! I can’t stand it when parents are so entitled on a vacation that they think they also get a break from keeping their kids in line. Assuming they do so at home! : )

We met our server Cornwall from St. Vincent, and his assistant (whose name I can’t remember how to spell!) from the Phillipines. They had set kids menus out for the kids but Caden requested the adult menu and we were assured he could order from either or both.

For starters, Megan got the tomato soup, Connor got the garden salad with ranch, Shawn got the wedge, I got the cream of Green Aspargus, and Caden got the Ahi Tuna and Avocado tower. I think everyone was satisfied – Megan and Caden especially. I thought the soup was so-so, and in retrospect I would have ordered the Lobster Ravioli. The wait wasn’t bad either, and the kids all had menus to color.
TR25.PNG
I feel like this was the longest-lasting meal of the entire trip, which may have been because it was the first night, or because we took a awhile to get organized and order. Overall the meal was about 1:45 (we got out around 7:30), and after this, we made the kids focus on ordering quickly and it was closer to 1:20.

Around the time that our entrees arrived, the room started changing from daytime lighting to night and the beautiful petal lights opened up. The kids really enjoyed that. Here is Caden noticing it!
TR26.PNG

For some reason Enchanted Garden had been the least interesting dining room to me when we planned the trip (which is why we gave up our second night there for Palo) but other than having the tightest seating arrangement, I think it might be my favorite, ambiance-wise. AND food wise. Shawn ordered the prime rib, Caden ordered the sirloin steak, I got the Pan Seared Sea Bass, and Connor got a burger off the kids menu and Megan got the chicken fingers. There was a mix-up and Caden ended up getting the prime rib instead of the sirloin, and he was OK with that. He likes prime rib too! We also made sure to double-check that they knew about Caden’s nut allergy, and Cornwall was always quick to point out which items he should avoid. We were also told his dishes were all prepared separately which was greatly appreciated.

Everyone was very happy with their entrée, especially me. Except for Palo, this was my most delicious entrée of the week. I guess it’s hard to mess up sea bass (I have only recently discovered this fish and it is by far my favorite, too bad it’s so expensive!!), but I thought Disney had a really good preparation of it.

Connor and Megan ordered Mickey Bars, Caden and Shawn got the strawberry cheesecake and I got the Silky Dark Chocolate Mousse.
Mmm. Mickey Bars!

TR27.PNG
After we’d ordered we heard someone singing Happy Birthday and remembered that Megan was supposed to have a birthday celebration the first night as well. We asked Cornwall and he said they’d do that, but it sounded like either they’d forgotten or not been told. Somewhere between the entrée and dessert Megan had really started to run out of steam and we kind of regretted reminding them, since it meant more waiting (probably another reason this first meal was so long). Here she is "running out of steam." Guess that's a nice way to say, "getting really cranky."
TR28.PNG

But she was thrilled to be sung to and to get her special little birthday cake. Not every day a girl gets two desserts!

After dinner we rolled our very full selves up to the room. Our steward had pulled down the back of the couch to create Megan’s bed, and Connor’s bed had come out of the ceiling (he gets bottom bunk at home so top on vacations), and Caden’s Murphy bed was down with a towel-rabbit on it. I’m not sure what the kids were more tickled with – the towel animals or the bedtime chocolates left for us each night! Caden is mugging for the camera here because the rabbit "stole" his glasses.
TR31.PNG

The kids hadn’t gotten to swim all day, and we had been holding off on making a decision about Megan’s bedtime. Her attitude at times during dinner (and the fact that she’d insisted on bringing her blankie to dinner and spent most of her time between courses laying on the bench with it sucking her thumb) made up our minds for us. We told her that Daddy was taking the boys for a “walk” and they quickly changed to swim suits in the bathroom and took off, while I got her ready for bed.

Once she was settled, I turned on the white-noise app on my iphone, closed the giant curtain between the adult-and-kid sides of the room, and unpacked as quietly as I could. I’d gotten most of our stuff in the dresser (which was on the kids’ side) earlier, so I focused on hanging our clothes, and then sneaking some stuff into the cabinets on her side after I was sure she was asleep. I fit all the bags under the bed and was able to curl up with a good book, enjoying the very gentle rocking you could feel when laying down.

Meanwhile, the boys were enjoying the Aqua Duck over and over, as there was NO ONE on the pool deck during the later dinner seating and show. They were able to dry off watching Brother Bear on the big screen. You can see how empty it was. We ended up going a lot at night, and there was never more than 4-5 families out there.
TR29.PNG TR30.PNG
They came back around 10, showered, and climbed into their own beds, ready to take on our first full day on the Fantasy.

Really enjoying your report. We just booked our first DCL cruise for January 2017 and are very excited. Anxious to see how it all went for you guys. Great start.

We plan on one night at WDW before our cruise too. Nine nights following.
Welcome to the report! If there's anything I miss that you need to know, just ask!

The picture of Megan "losing steam" is cracking me up. She looks like she might hurt someone with that Mickey bar. :tongue:

Chapter 4: Sea Day

We all woke up around 8. Megan announced her need to go to the bathroom and that woke up everyone for good. Caden was super excited to see the open ocean and was ready to open up those curtains. Before going to bed the night before we’d looked out and seen bright lights all along the Florida coast. I was surprised when we opened the curtains that we could still see land alongside us, albeit in the distance. My guess is that we were somewhere near the bottom of Florida at this point. We went out on the balcony and I got some beautiful photos of our view.
I'd still love to be waking up to this!

TR32.PNG
Later on in the day I got a chance to explore the TV stations and found two that would be my favorite throughout the trip – a map showing where we were, and a view from the bridge. Those were some really cool features! We loved to check our progress each day.

But on this particular morning the kids were most enthralled by the channel that played classic Mickey cartoons 24/7. We decided another leisurely morning was in order, and so we let them lounge around watching TV for 30 minutes or so. One of the things for me that signifies “vacation” is not having to spring out of bed, make breakfast for everyone, get everyone moving. And we would have to be up early a few times on this trip so I was going to make the most of the mornings we didn’t!

Our plan for the morning was to hit the pool, but we knew it would be crowded being a sea day and didn’t want to wait too long. Around 9:30 we dressed in our suits and headed up to Cabanas for a quick breakfast.

Cabanas overwhelmed me again with the sheer variety of food – and it changed every day! On the port days it was always “themed” to the port. I had resolved to always “eat light” for breakfast and lunch so I could really indulge at dinner, but Cabanas broke me every time! I think breakfast was my favorite buffet. The first station was always an egg station of some sort, followed by the traditional staples – Mickey waffles, pancakes, French toast, and hashbrowns. There was a whole meat section – bacon, ham, sausage patties and links, usually a seafood section, pastries (a huge variety of donuts, croissants, and danishes, plus regular toast/bagels), a cereal bar, an oatmeal bar, and THEN you got to the fresh fruits. On this particular day the egg station had Eggs Benedict with really good hollandaise. Once we were all settled with our choices I went up to get fresh fruit for all of us – the pineapple and cantaloupe were particularly good.

The kids ate in record time. I forgot to mention that we found out the day before that apparently the worst part of eating out for Caden has been waiting to pay the check! He was completely stunned when we just got up and left after eating our lunch the day before, and at dinner he kept asking, “So they’re not going to bring the check? We can just leave? Are you sure?? This is AWESOME!” I never knew how much that bothered him (and he’s not even the one paying!). We were out at the pool around 10 and there were still plenty of seats left. That kind of surprised me since I figured everyone’s kids would be getting them up and we’d not be the only ones out at that hour. There was a decent number of people, but we got two chairs right by the Donald pool. Shawn took the kids to the Mickey Pool. Toy Story was just starting on the Funnel Vision screen. Connor was having the time of his life, I don’t think he realized he could combine his two favorite things in the world – swimming and watching TV! You can see him treading water here, fixed on the screen (kid with the red shirt)! This pool crowded very easily during the day:

TR47.PNG TR33.PNG

Once they were settled I realized I’d left the camera back in the room so I went and grabbed it. Our steward was in the process of making up the room and putting the kids’ beds away. He was always so apologetic if we dropped in on him but I assured him it was just a quick stop-in. We enjoyed the morning the pool, with the kids running back and forth between the movie and what Megan came to call “the hot bathtub.” The hot tub was so neat, we got to see for ourselves the windows in the floor that looked directly into the ocean 11 stories below. That was one of our favorite features! We thought about the Aqua Duck but the line was at least 45 minutes. Caden checked out Aqua Lab but he said he thought it was for kids a little younger than him and wasn’t too impressed.

Around 11 Caden started to get antsy and was asking to go to the kids club. They were having a Wii tournament at 11:45. Shawn took him back to the room to change and walked him to the club to check in. He was dying to go himself but we weren’t quite sure he knew his way around yet. I’m not sure the other kids noticed he was gone till Shawn got back, and then they decided they’d like to go as well. By then the crowds were really picking up and it was really getting hot, so that was fine by me!

We got them changed and signed them in and found our Wave phones so the club could reach us. They’re like the old cell phones, I had to re-teach myself how to text on a keypad. Never could remember how to do the “space” soallmytextslookedlikethisallweek. : )

Freedom! I actually got to hang out on our verandah and read undisturbed, and then we decided to check out the adult-only section of the ship. It being noon on a sea day, a lounge chair was rather hard to come by and it was nearly as crowded as the main pool area. I think I preferred our verandah! I also used this time to figure out how to use the onboard app which was very handy to pull up to see what events were coming up. It reminded me that there was a Disney music trivia game coming up at 2, so we picked up the kids by 1:15 so we could grab a quick lunch beforehand.

The VERY coolest thing about the kids club, I found out upon pickup , is that they use their magicbands to track them! When we went to the desk and identified ourselves, they pulled up a screen and told us in which section and room each of our three children were! That is very handy especially since the Lab and the Club are connected by a long cafeteria and the whole area is pretty big! It also made me feel secure that there was no way anyone was sneaking by them!

The boys were – surprise – playing video games – but Megan had spent her time creating an Elsa dress in the craft room! She was very proud of herself!
TR34.PNG
We headed back up to Cabanas (I think this is when we learned that we could go straight in by using the aft staircase) for a LIGHT lunch (yeah right!). We split up at 2 – Megan and Connor wanted to go with me to the game, and Shawn and Caden decided to do some shopping down on Deck 3 (here is Caden trying on Star Wars headgear).

TR35.PNG

We arrived at La Piazza, a neat piano bar in Deck 4 Aft, just after the first song had been played. I grabbed us a couple of barstools and a piece of paper as they started in on song 2. There was an MC and a pianist, and a trivia question following each song snippet. I had a hard time recognizing many of them, it was much tougher than I thought it would be! Megan wasn’t really in a sitting mood and quickly found a way to entertain herself. During the third song, she hopped down from her bar stool and starting pirouetting around the room in her own little made-up ballerina dance. It didn’t take long for the MC to invite her up and she literally invented a dance to go with each song for the rest of the game. She was asked to introduce herself and did so as “Elsa Megan.” The MC started joining her in the dancing, it was pretty hilarious.

TR36.PNG

There were two that she actually knew – one from Tangled and one from Frozen and she got so excited when she recognized them. As the MC was going through the answers, she remembered which ones Megan had known and asked her to announce the answers. So Megan got to tell everyone the song was from “Frozen,” and she then continued (spoilers!) that Hans was very bad and TRICKED Anna. That got a laugh from everyone! The MC was so good with her! This was one of my favorite Megan moments of the week!

THe kids loved the portholes that lined all of Deck 5! Also, we saw one of the Princess Gatherings on the way back. Megan had a hard time understanding why she couldn't go to this one!
TR37.PNG TR38.PNG

After the game was over we met up with Shawn and Caden back at the room, and had a little quiet time before formal night. We made sure Megan had a bath and a good hair-washing since next up on the agenda was Bibbity Bobbity Boutique. Since this was her first bath, let me talk about the tub for a minute. I loved it! It’s in the shape of a circle, and just the right size for a small child to sit in. The faucet was a bit confusing to me at first, but once I figured it out I loved it. You pulled it one way to turn the faucet on. Then you pulled it out to switch the flow to a removable shower head. A third direction would turn on an overhead, stationary “rain” like shower-head if you preferred that. Off to the side of the circle was a bench large enough to sit on (or put a leg up on to shave!) and built in shelves for the shampoo, soap, etc. It’s such a tiny little space and I never felt cramped! Water temperature and pressure was always excellent as well. It’s like a focus group got together and designed the perfect compact space that would serve both adults and little ones. Well done, Disney!

So I'll leave you this evening with this terrible picture of the tub, the only one I got and the angle is bad, but it's the best I've got. Also, there were two retractable clothes lines that hung over it that got a LOT of use!
TR48.PNG

Chapter 5: Sea Day, Part 2 (Bibbity Bobbity and Formal Night)

We dropped the boys back at the Oceaneers Club and checked Megan in at the Bibbity Bobbity.
Megan Before:
TR39.PNG
She met her Fairy Godmother in Training, Jessica, who was from the U.K. As she was combing out Megan’s hair her eyes popped a bit and she said, “Oh my, you have a LOT of hair, little Princess!” She definitely had the longest of any of the current clientele. She of course chose the Cinderella bun and the styling commenced. Jessica kept up a very lively conversation. Megan was a little quieter than usual – I think she was a little overwhelmed by it and also thought she had to hold absolutely still for it to turn out all right!

Megan has a lot of hair but it is very fine. There was a LOT of product (including something like WAX!) involved in making this hairdo “stable.” I just kept thinking about how long it would all take to wash out!
TR40.PNG TR41.PNG TR42.PNG

When she was done with the hair, she got her own makeup kit and sash. Her Godmother applied the makeup (we cracked up because it turns out Megan cannot “purse” her lips for the lipstick – she just kept sticking her lower lip out) and did her nails.
TR43.PNG
Then she applied the finishing touch of Pixie Dust and revealed the final results to Megan. Megan was VERY excited by it (once we told her she was allowed to move again).
TR44.PNG

Overall this took about 45 minutes. When we walked out, we saw a not-too long line for Minnie on the adjacent balcony, and since we’d promised Megan a Minnie visit, I got into line while Shawn went to get the boys. After we got our Minnie picture, we headed back to the room so the rest of us could get us beautiful as Princess Megan for formal night!
TR45.PNG

Chilling on the balcony again before dinner:
TR46.PNG
We got to the lobby a little early to pose for our pictures. I’d have liked one on the staircase, but that was the longest line, so we hopped in a shorter one and posed with the Mickey statue instead. No proof though, cause we ended up liking how we looked better on semi-formal night, so we didn’t buy this one.

We were then lead to our table in the Royal Court. After looking at other trip reports, I wish I’d taken more time to appreciate the details in this dining room. It was really beautiful but we were only in the main dining room quickly as we walked to and from our table on the three nights we were there. The placement of our table was my absolute favorite in the Royal Court. In this case we were in a smaller, more intimate room off the main dining room, with maybe three or four other families. Our table was in the corner, with a giant porthole window. I was THRILLED when I saw that. It was so private and of course it was great to watch the light slowly fade over the blue water as we ate.

Caden had sworn he would try escargot on this trip, and it was escargot night (French inspired menu) but he was feeling a little out of sorts. I think he had eaten WAY too much at breakfast and lunch (hard to slow the boy down at a buffet) plus he had discovered the Eye Scream machine that afternoon. Add that to the fact that the ship was going a bit faster and he was at a window…well, suffice it to say, he did not eat much.

Between us, we got three bowls of the French onion soup and an order of the baked brie. I also got the farmhouse salad. Shawn’s review of the soup was too much salt, not enough cheese, so he was a little disappointed. I enjoyed the Brie, and so did Connor. I liked the elements of the salad, but it was REALLY light on the dressing. For entrees, Shawn got the chateaubriand, and I got the salmon with the horse radish crust and the cauliflower puree. He said his steak was OK, but a little overcooked. He believes overall his expectation of the steaks on board were a little too high given the volume they had to produce. I really enjoyed the salmon, but nothing topped that sea bass on the first night!

Megan had the kids’ pasta with vegetables. I was petrified the whole time of her getting sauce on her Cinderella dress so I draped her with napkins! She did great though.
TR50.PNG

I can’t remember what the boys had – Connor had something off the kids menu (probably shrimp) and whatever Caden got, he didn’t eat more than a bit or two). I also forgot to mention that the servers were very nice to cut up his meat each night! This meal was a little less enjoyable than our first one because we had to stop and pose for pictures, and then Megan decided she needed a visit to the potty, so I took her, and then when we got back, Caden needed to go take care of some business, so Shawn took him. Unfortunately, the closest bathroom was a floor below just outside the Enchanted Garden. This was one of two times I used the public facilities on the boat, and I have to say, they were very nice! Anyway, this meal consisted of a lot of running around!

A couple of us did manage to have dessert, though. Connor and Megan had ice cream sundaes, and Shawn got the strawberry shortcake, and I got the vanilla crème brulee. I don’t have enough of these to know what constitutes a “good” one versus a “bad” one. Whenever I go somewhere nice to eat, I ALWAYS take the chocolate dessert, but when it was all pre-paid, I figure now is the time to branch out of my comfort zone. This was one of my favorite desserts of the week! Poor Caden could not muster up enough of an appetite to even try my dessert, much less order his own. I hoped it was just a matter of slowing down on his food intake and not something else!

After dinner the boys were super excited to get back up to the pool. I floated the idea of seeing a show but they were adamant – they needed to ride the Aqua Duck again! Obviously this meant Caden was doing better. Since Shawn took them the first night, it was my turn. When we got back to the room, there was a certificate for Megan from Fairy Godmother In Training Jessica for being such an adorable Cinderella. I don't know if they do that for all the girls, but it was a nice touch either way! She was very excited to get it.

Caden and I rode it first. Every time we rode it at night there was a sign that said we had to do two riders due to “high winds.” It never felt windy to me, but it wasn’t like there were long lines they were trying to cut back (or any line for that matter – we walked right up and got on), so they must have meant it! Connor waited at the staircase where the line began with the CM, and then we switched because they each wanted to ride it with me. It was a LOT of fun! You probably miss out a little bit riding it at night – it’s so dark you can’t see when it goes off the side of the ship, but the bright lights on the sides are really pretty. I had no idea they took your picture on it – so “grin” or you’ll get some weird expressions! Even cooler – Disney uses a facial recognition software to put all your Aqua Duck pictures on your account! So you’ll see some pictures pop up on there where no one took your card or room number or anything. We got LOTS of pictures of the boys on the Duck!
TR49.PNG

After that we got into the Mickey pool and were relaxing. The pool was really warm, and the skies above were clear. I was lying on my back on the water, thinking how much I LOVE being on vacation, when I noticed the life guards fishing something out of the pool with a net. They conferred with each other a few moments but didn’t say anything so I shrugged it off. A few minutes after that the whistles blew and we were “evacuated.” Apparently they found a dooky in the pool. Lovely!!

The boys didn’t like the Donald pool as much so we went (with the other five people who’d been in the Mickey pool) to the hot tub, ribbing each other along the way about who had done the deed! I spent the rest of the evening there while the boys went back and forth from there to Donald and finally, we visited Eye Scream for a bedtime snack before heading to the room to shower and retire, remembering to turn our clocks back to gain that extra hour. I was anxious to see what view awaited us tomorrow when we woke up in Mexico!

There is not a bathroom outside the restaurant?? That makes no sense at all...
BTW your daughter is adorable!!!

Thank you! They really did a good job at the Boutique!
Yes, I was surprised as well at the location of the bathroom - it really wasn't TOO far, but you had to go out to the main lobby, then down a flight. For an adult, no biggie. For a child who decides they need to go RIGHT NOW - I was sweating it a little! : ) At least she never did a number 2 in the pool! : )

Chapter 6: Cozumel

This was the first morning we got to experience docking while lying in bed. It has a very distinctive feel – think vibrating bed! : ) It goes on for a few minutes too so it’s very noticeable when you come into port. I believe we docked around 7:30, all ashore was at 8:30. I was hoping the kids would sleep through it, but no dice! Two of them were up and ready to roll. Connor, not so much. That kid loves to sleep in and he hadn’t been able to yet.

Shawn, ever the amazing husband and father, got Caden and Megan ready and took the two of them to breakfast at the Enchanted Garden. I never got to experience the breakfast buffet so I can’t compare it to Cabanas – Shawn said it was more limited but a bit more upscale, and obviously a quieter, less rowdy place to start the day. Apparently they had an amazing server named Ramon who was incredible with the kids. There were SO many that went above and beyond throughout the week. The servers we had at dinner were always very nice, got the orders right all but once, but they didn’t seem to be having fun. Maybe they weren’t, and that’s fine by me. I can’t imagine what their life is like, the long hours they work and being separated from their families, but we just noticed when other servers seemed to be having a good time – or at least they were faking it really well. Shawn went on and on about this guy and all the stuff he did for the kids. He made both of them a Chihuahua out of a napkin to take home.

Of course, tired Connor was a little crestfallen that he had missed out on the fun and the Chihuahua. He and I got dressed so we could run back down there, but they were closing up just as we arrived. Shawn ran back down to see if he could find Ramon, but he was no longer on duty. He then went to the front desk to ask if there was anyone who knew how to make one, and they said they’d do their best to have one delivered to our room that day. While it would be nice, I didn’t want anyone to go out of their way just to make sure this kid got a napkin animal! Any of you with multiple kids though know the importance of equity (to them) and I was hoping I could get the boy to perk up.

He and I went up to Cabanas while Shawn dropped the other two at the kids club. They were doing dress up and parachute games in the Club part and I knew Megan would love that. As we passed the Mickey pool I was surprised to see it was still down for “maintenance.” I guess they are very thorough about cleaning the pool after poops! We got our food and when I came looked over at Connor from the buffet, he was sitting at our table giggling to himself. I wondered if a server had come by and cheered him up, but when I got back, I found he had cheered himself up. With a breakfast face. He was pretty pleased with himself!

TR51.PNG

After breakfast he and I went to the outdoor seating area to get a good look at the port. I’d been to Cozumel once in 2001 and this didn’t look familiar to me at all. Which meant we were at a different Cozumel port than I’d been to before. And since I had two goals for the day – buy Mexican vanilla and eat at Ernesto’s – this was going to complicate things. I figured we’d just walk around and play it by ear.

We let the kids hang out about an hour while we walked on the track on Deck 4 and then hung out in the lounge chairs. This was a really nice part of the ship that hardly anyone was ever on. It’s partially enclosed, so it’s shady, and there are tons of lounge chairs with maybe only a few people in them. Great place to hang out and read! The day was warm, but very overcast with a chance of rain.

When we picked up the kids around noon, one of the CMs there gave us directions to her favorite restaurant at the port, El Girasoles. Thus started a LONG afternoon of walking! First we ran up to the pool deck to fill our water bottles with ice water, then headed out on Deck 1. There were some dark, ominous looking skies just west of us, so I was hoping for a little less of a walk than what we ended up doing.

View of the port from our room:
TR52.PNG

First we had to make our way down the pier, and it was a long one. Then, you have to wind your way through the port shopping area. There is no quick easy way down to the street, you are funneled like cattle through the shopping center, with vendors calling out at you left and right. Before we had docked we had taught the kids “por favor,” and “no gracias!” We used that last one quite a bit. The boys – especially Connor – were a little overwhelmed by it. No one chased us down or anything, but no one DIDN’T ask us to buy their wares. So it was a long string of “No gracias, no gracias, no gracias” as we went through the mall. Finally we got to the escalators, and headed onto the main street and headed north up the coast. It was more of the same. At one point we crossed the street to walk on the side without stores just to get a break. We had been told to turn right at the corner with a diamond store but we saw a LOT of corners with diamond stores. At about the fifth street we came to we headed inland a couple of blocks where things were quieter (and a little too shady for Shawn’s taste). We stopped a woman with a cruise crew badge but she’d never heard of it. Soon after that, we happened by the local post office, and I Thought, what better place to ask directions! Luckily, one of the postal staff I asked knew of it and gave me directions, albeit in Spanish. I took five years of Spanish but I was a little rusty. I made out “dos” and “turn right” so we figured out to go two more blocks and turn right, and they said it was next to “el banco.”

That got us there, though a bit worse for the wear. Shawn was frazzled because Megan had gotten tired of walking before we even got off the main road, so she’d been on his shoulders, and Connor was really dragging his feet and not keeping up. And it was really starting to thunder now. We walked in and were surprised to find ourselves in a semi-formal dining room with people in business suits (I read later that the mayor breakfasts here). Um….very nice but not exactly what we had in mind, as we trudged in all sweaty and disheveled in our vacation tank tops and ball caps. We took one look at the menu and realized we did not have enough cash for the five of us to eat here and didn’t want to deal with using our credit card overseas. We apologized profusely to the server, and backed our way right out on to the street.

We headed back towards the pier doing the “no gracias” routine all the way, looking for a more suitable place to eat for our budget and attire. Finally, just before we got back to the port shopping mall, we were handed a menu for an upstairs open-air restaurant, El Toro’s. The price was right and the thunder was loud. It was time to eat!

We headed upstairs to find a nice little place with a fantastic view of the ship (and a roof, which was becoming increasingly important). There were several large pigeons nesting in the eaves which the kids got a kick out of). It wasn’t super crowded or loud, so a great place we just happened into for a family to enjoy lunch. The service was slow but we had nowhere to go. Megan got a kids cheese quesadilla, Connor was thrilled to find a shrimp taco, and Shawn, Caden and I split a huge platter that had tacos, burritos, and quesadillas on it. AND Mexican coke of course!

TR53.PNG

Glad we found this place, and next time we’ll know right where to go!

After lunch we decided to walk past the shopping center up to the Mega Mart where I’d read online you could buy Mexican vanilla. It was about ¼ or ½ mile to walk. We got all the way there and never did find what I was looking for, it all just looked like regular vanilla to me.

So we hiked back to the shopping center hoping to find it there. By now it was spitting rain. I checked one store and had no luck, so Shawn asked at Starbucks and they pointed us in the direction of another.

SUCCESS! I found the exact brand I’d bought in 2001 (Molina, in a gorgeous glass bottle), and had enough cash to buy a slightly less high-quality bottle that the shopkeeper recommended. So while it took longer than what we’d thought, both goals were accomplished!

On the way back through the mall we saw a couple of the “statue” performers that didn’t move until the kids got near. They always impress me.

TR54.PNG

We headed back down the pier to our Disney home for the week. I don’t know if all the cruise lines do this, but when you get back to the boat, the CMs are waiting with fruit-infused ice water and cool towels. That was such a nice little “extra” that made us feel pampered. I know Carnival didn’t do it at least 15 years ago. On our way back, Connor told us that once when he was lagging behind a shopkeeper came up to him “and started chattering at me in Spanish.” I asked him what he did and he said, “I just said ‘Alto por favor.’ And he did.” I hadn’t taught him the Spanish word for “stop” but he had seen it on a stop sign and improvised. Well done, I guess? We also asked the boys what they could tell their teachers about Mexico when they got home, and Connor’s answer was, “It’s hot. And everyone wants you to buy their stuff.” Perhaps not the cultural experience I was hoping for, but I couldn’t really argue with him!

Back to the ship!
TR55.PNG

I don’t have many pictures from the time we got back on the ship (around 3) and dinner, so I THINK we let the boys go back to the club and had Megan lay down. She was definitely getting whiny again after all the walking.

We had decided not to pack Halloween costumes – both for saving space and also I had a really hard time wrapping my mind around the idea of celebrating Halloween during Labor Day week – I think that’s a bit premature and kind of like Disney is “reaching” for an occasion. But that didn’t mean the kids couldn’t go trick-or-treating. Shawn took them to the 5:00 candy distribution while I got ready for dinner in blessed quiet!

Tonight was our first night in Animator’s Palatte and I was very excited for the Crush show. Even more excited when I saw our table was just below one of the giant screens. Our staff was careful to seat the kids facing the screen tonight.

TR56.PNG TR57.PNG

I ordered the herb-crusted pork chop; Shawn and Caden both got the tuna steak. Connor and Megan ordered off the kids’ menu. I’m pretty sure that Megan and I also got the soups – butternut squash for me and baked potato for her.

Right after we ordered, the lights dimmed and Crush swam up to the screens around the room. He stopped and just tread in place, blinking occasionally. For a LOOOONG time, and then the screens went blank. Uh, oh, technical difficulties. Megan took every opportunity to ask poor Cornwall EVERY time he passed by our table where Crush was. He was very good natured about it, and told her Crush wasn’t feeling well, needed a nap, needed Red Bull, he came up with lots of excuses. The screen went off and on several times throughout the meal, and we saw lots of “techs” coming in and out but finally Cornwall had to tell Megan over dessert that Crush was sick and not able to talk to us tonight. We had asked him at the start of the meal if any of the servers around knew how to make the Chihuahua napkin since we had not received one, and he said he’d ask. At the end of the meal we saw him creating one himself at the servers station and he presented it to Connor. He said it had been a long time since he’d made one, but I thought it was very sweet for him to take the time to do it. So at least Connor left the meal happy. Megan was really bummed to miss Crush. Both the boys have spoken to him at Disney World and she had been so excited when she saw him. It probably would have been better if she hadn’t seen him at all, but obviously they did not know they were going to have a break-down.

To help cheer her up, we ALL went to the pool together after dinner. And thus ended another day!

Thank you! They really did a good job at the Boutique!
Yes, I was surprised as well at the location of the bathroom - it really wasn't TOO far, but you had to go out to the main lobby, then down a flight. For an adult, no biggie. For a child who decides they need to go RIGHT NOW - I was sweating it a little! : ) At least she never did a number 2 in the pool! : )

Actually there are restrooms somewhat close to Royal Court. They are on the other side of Bon Voyage Bar in the atrium just off the mid ship elevators.

I don't think the one downstairs is as far off as I felt it was going to be. The flight of stairs is probably not as long as the lobby, and I'm guessing the CM sent us downstairs because it was formal night and the lobby was packed with people waiting to be photographed!

Chapter 7: Grand Cayman (for us, Day at Sea!)

We had to wake up early on Tuesday – we had a character breakfast at 7:45 that morning! We’d asked the boys if they wanted to go, and they decided that they would, so all five us traipsed down to the aft staircase bright and early for our appointment at Animator’s Pallate.

We got seated and all arranged and ordered (Shawn and I got omelets, pretty sure the kids all got the Mickey waffles) and the kids were horsing around, entertaining themselves when suddenly Caden let out a piercing howl.

Apparently they had been fooling around with the awesome paint-brush shaped butter knives and Caden lunged forwards just as Connor stabbed it towards him, and somehow the knife went up his nose! Ha! I’ll bet no one figured out THAT would be the “stabbing!” Shawn had to take Caden out to let him calm down and make sure nothing was bleeding. Apparently he was fine, but while he was gone I realized we’d left the camera in the room – kind of critical to the whole character breakfast experience!

As soon as they got back, I ran up (at least I was getting in my fitbit steps this morning) and got the camera, and I think I still beat the food to the table.

As we were eating the characters made the rounds for pictures and autographs:

This was a really nice time, pretty identical experience to all the character meals we had in the parks, and I hope they make it a permanent fixture on the cruises. It was a great way to see a lot of characters without waiting in lines!

TR58.PNG TR59.PNG

TR61.PNG TR60.PNG

After breakfast we dropped the kids at the Club because Cornwall had told us the night before that Crush was going to make an appearance, and after the technical failure of the night before we were really excited for Megan to get to see him, even if we couldn’t be there to witness it. When we picked them up to go swimming we were told by the CMs that Megan's interaction with him was quite memorable. Apparently she was not at all willing to let him off the hook for his failure to appear the night before, and Caden jumped in to warn Crush that Megan was not to be crossed! : )

Since it wasn’t a true “at sea” day we decided we’d give daytime swimming another try. The pools were still crowded but they are pretty small. However, there was no line at the regular water slide, and Megan got to explore the toddler play area for the first time. She really got a kick out of the little slippery slide. I’ve seen a lot of other folks posting about it too – something about the little girls’ swimsuits really sends them rocketing off the end of it! I didn’t see any older kids in there horsing around but I kept a close eye on her in there.

Another beautiful day!
TR65.PNG TR66.PNG

In the early afternoon we all got out and got dried off because it was time for Avengers: Age of Ultron at the Buena Vista Theater. Only Shawn and Caden had seen it, and I had been very excited to find out it was still running on the ships, because I hadn’t had a chance to see it on the big screen yet. We’d asked in advance about the food policy in the theater and found out that you can basically bring in a catered dinner and they wouldn’t care.

So we went to Luigi’s grill at the pool deck and grabbed burgers, wraps, chips, fruit and cookies and drinks and headed down to see if this was indeed OK. We were one of the first groups in the room and we grabbed the first row in the middle section so we had no one in front of us in case of spills. Other than the obligatory crumbs the kids did great, so we sat and ate our whole lunch during the start of the movie.

Megan was OK for the first hour but most of it was over her head (she just likes the Hulk), and got a little restless once all her food was gone. Since Shawn had seen it, he took her back to the cabin to lay down for awhile, and I stayed to watch with the boys.

When it was over we went back and hung out until it was time to ship the kids back to the club – Mom and Dad had a date night at Palo planned! One note for people planning to use the clubs for this reason – they have a set time (I think 5:30) that the kids eat, and it’s a very kid menu – chicken nuggets, pizza, etc. Caden is not a fan (though he’ll eat it when necessary) but Cornwall had told us the night before that because of his food allergy, they’d prepare any meal on our regular menu (would have been Enchanted Garden) for him and deliver it to the kid club. Sometimes his food allergy DOES have some benefits, and with as much as he has to be careful and miss out on treats, I jump at the chance to use it for good! So we had put in an order when we were there that morning, and it was delivered when the other kids ate at 5:30. I was so grateful for that!

Our reservations were at 5:45, and we showed up just before that. The boat had just set sail and the sun was going down as we were seated on the deck to await our table. It was really a beautiful time of day and a wonderful, relaxing moment to just be able to sit with my husband and take in the spectacular view.

TR63.PNG

At the recommendation of our server, we went with the Cold Antipasti plate which was, in a word, amazing. It included cheeses and veggies and oils and balsamic vinaigrette to drizzle on them. It was SO GOOD. I followed that with the Tuscan White Bean Soup, which was good but not as seasoned as I’d like. Shawn got the Mozzarella and Plum Tomatoes with Balsamic Dressing, and a wine that the sommelier recommended that was so good he asked her to write down the name so we could look for it at our international market at home.

For my entrée, I let him talk me into the Rosemary Pappardelle con Aragosta even though it had lobster which meant I couldn’t share with Shawn. I was not disappointed. It was incredible, had a bit of spice but not overpowering. Shawn got the rack of lamb and it was his favorite meal all week.

I barely had room for dessert but I could not turn down chocolate soufflé, which was my favorite dessert on the trip.

We have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about our date there. I know that Remy’s is a little more “fine dining” but I’ve always been disappointed when I choose French over Italian! Palo’s ambiance was great, the food was incredible, and the service was the best we had. I would highly recommend a dinner there. We hadn’t brought our camera so they made up an Anniversary plate for us and told us to take it back to the room to photograph.

TR62.PNG

We picked up the kids, who were very excited to see a bat had landed in our room during dinner, and tried to get everyone settled early because we had our biggest day of the week planned in Jamaica!

TR64.PNG

Loved your TR title so had to read along! Did not see the stabbing coming! LOL Great TR so far.

I just wanted to say hi to a fellow Cincinnatian. We live just outside Cincinnati and are planning our first ever cruise on Feb 29 on 4 night Bahama on the Dream. We are pulling our daughter out of first grade for 1 week. I'm not planning to tell her until the day we leave. I can't wait!! Thanks for sharing your review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!