Sirenia 88's LTR "Mickey we have a modem"

sirenia88

You are a Toy car!
Hello Disboarders.

My wife and I have been thinking about our next vacation. We thought about the Caribbean but after looking at a couple of resorts, we think waiting a couple of years may be better for our daughter. She is looking into a trip out West. However, she is kept drawn back to the idea of the Fort.

We want to know what to expect in the summer months like August. Yes I know it will be hot. I know the sun will thoroughly enjoy my pale complexion. (sun screen and a wide brimmed hats are usually good.) However, my wife and I are thinking about wanting to bring her side of the family this time instead of mine. Her brother has 2 daughters (11 and 7 at trip time) that I believe have never been to Disney. We are thinking the summer since they would not miss little to no school as well.

Besides the hot and muggy conditions of Florida, what should we expect? Good times to see/ do certain places and attractions?

Any "better" times to go during the summer? My wife has done a wee bit of research on the southern school systems. Many schools generally go back around mid August.

How crowded is the Fort? Holiday weekend like packed? Weekend-like? Room to breathe?

My wife is going to be talking to her side of the family and see who wants to go and who can go. As she puts it, "We were with your family the last 3 vacations. Now it's our turn." I am sure I will have more questions in the coming months. However, winter is coming. Planning and saving.

We are looking at dates for next year also. With my wife's parents moving out to AZ., we are thinking doing a Fort vacation some time from mid April to the end of May, then going out west later in the year and skipping the Fort in the fall. But from what I am seeing for pricing in that time frame it is a little scary. Just finished watching the Disney Cruise cd and we don't think that is for us, the Fort is where we want to be. :cool1:

You couldn't pay me to come to Disney during (1) busy season and (2) hot and humid.

That said, how nice is it that you all travel with your in-laws!

We plan to take trip out West to see the Redwoods sometime in 2015. We have traveled to the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore and really enjoy the drive to the West.

Look at Weather.com and go back to August of this year it will give you a daily report on high/low temps as well as rain totals.

Also, check easy WDW crowd control for what August is like.

Hello Disboarders.

My wife and I have been thinking about our next vacation. We thought about the Caribbean but after looking at a couple of resorts, we think waiting a couple of years may be better for our daughter. She is looking into a trip out West. However, she is kept drawn back to the idea of the Fort.

We want to know what to expect in the summer months like August. Yes I know it will be hot. I know the sun will thoroughly enjoy my pale complexion. (sun screen and a wide brimmed hats are usually good.) However, my wife and I are thinking about wanting to bring her side of the family this time instead of mine. Her brother has 2 daughters (11 and 7 at trip time) that I believe have never been to Disney. We are thinking the summer since they would not miss little to no school as well.

Besides the hot and muggy conditions of Florida, what should we expect? Good times to see/ do certain places and attractions?

Any "better" times to go during the summer? My wife has done a wee bit of research on the southern school systems. Many schools generally go back around mid August.

How crowded is the Fort? Holiday weekend like packed? Weekend-like? Room to breathe?

My wife is going to be talking to her side of the family and see who wants to go and who can go. As she puts it, "We were with your family the last 3 vacations. Now it's our turn." I am sure I will have more questions in the coming months. However, winter is coming. Planning and saving.

We have stayed at the Fort during July two years in a row. Yea its hot but being from South Alabama its no different than here at home. We planned our day by going to the park early in the morning and headed back to the Fort in the middle of the day. We would stay around the camper till around 4 or 5 in the evening and head back to the park and take advantage of the extra magic hours. As far as the crowd, its more packed on weekends at the parks. We try to go during the week day, the local kids may be out of school but the parents still have to work. We just wear light colored clothes and pack some patience. While in lines me and my DW people watch, haha it helps pass the time. At the Fort the pool area stays pretty busy, and expect a crowd down by Trails End when the HDR is going on.

Haven't stayed at the Fort in August, but we were at Port Orleans Riverside when we did August in 2009. Yes it is hot, crowded, but not as bad as June was in 2012.

I agree with 5er, parks early and late in the day. Typically they are open later at the parks during that time so it is doable. Hit the Fort middle of the day for cool down and rest from the heat. If we can't make next November like we hope, we will probably do an October or August run instead.

I live here in FL, Clearwater. It will be very hot and humid for sure in august. We go to the fort in our RV in august we don't do the parks in July/august/September it makes for a miserable day waiting in lines, sweaty people, and everyone gets irritable because of the heat. We enjoy doing things at the fort, we will go looping on the boats and monorail to the other resorts, we go to downtown Disney. My suggestion would be if you want to go to the parks go when parks first open and leave at 11am then go back after 5 pm and for extra magical hours as others have said. FYI here in FL the public schools start back up at the end of august. Ps: be sure to get your fast passes ahead of time, mine train goes very fast.

. . . My suggestion would be if you want to go to the parks go when parks first open and leave at 11am then go back after 5 pm and for extra magical hours . . .

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) I work at The Fort and will heartily agree.
5) Besides, with all the trees, The Fort is more pleasant than the parks or other resorts.
6) Plus, pools are nice for a cool-down.

NOTE: In addition to the activities at The Fort, you have the chance to meet
lots of other campers and get to know them. This doesn't happen often at the
other resorts.

We normally go to WDW in June, July or August when school is out. You already know about the heat (95 degrees/95% humidity). Crowds will typically be 8-9-10s. Weekends and holidays will be 10s.

I live outside St Louis. It is often hotter in StL when we are at the Fort and we have the same humidity. As long as you expect it and adjust your plans, you'll be fine.

Good suggestions to avoid the middle of the day in the parks. We occasionally will come back to the Fort mid-day, but we try to find cooler things in the parks too. Most of the theaters have A/C. The lines for the more popular rides have significant parts that are air conditioned.

We go mid morning with an idea of a few "have to" rides, take our time and enjoy the parks. With the crowds, you will go crazy if you try to do a commando trip and do "everything". It seems counter intuitive, but the crowds seem the busiest from about 1-5 when it is hottest. By dinner time, it clears out a little. We'll try to see the evening "show" (Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic) then head back to the Fort.

I've been in the cooler months and it doesn't seem like Disney unless it is over 90 degrees and it rains for at least a little while in the afternoon. (BTW, the rain only cools it off a couple degrees but ramps the humidity to 110%. :))

j

Hi,

Update... planning is going on...slowly... My DW is trying to get an answer from all the parties involved. Now I come to find out my parents would like to take my daughter on vacation with them in August as well. We are now trying to plan their trip with our trip. As my wife puts it, we have to know soon so we can get thinks reserved and planned. Otherwise, we might be out of luck since it would be the summer season.

WDW in August...hmmmm.
What can I say?
Hot, Hot, and maybe a bit hotter than hot.
Muggy, Humid, Crowded, kinda like vacationing in a Microwave.
Otherwise, its very pleasant. Hey, its DisneyWorld, who doesn't love it?
Remember to go to the parks with Lots of Water, and take it slowly. Its very easy to get dehydrated walking in that muggy heat if you don't constantly hydrate, not booze or caffeine....water. Especially susceptible are the elderly. :faint:

Hi,

The slow process of figuring out who is going to go is moving along. Hopefully, we will know soon if we need to make quick plans for an August trip or something else.

I did FW once in August....never again. Major thunderstorms daily. Monsoon rains. Air so thick with humidity you can barely breathe. Note to self: try November or April next time.

We stayed at the Fort this past August. Yeah it was hot, muggy and rained daily for a few minutes. But we had a great time. I am from the North East and have mild MS and the heat still couldn't keep us down. Just drink water, wear a big hat and some sunglasses, all set.

Our plan of attack was to visit the parks during the week days. We would arrive for rope drop and stay until it got too warm (noonish) or we wanted lunch. Then we would go back to the camper to have lunch and rest or hit the pools. Right after dinner around 5 we would head back to the parks.

It worked out well and unless you are really averse to the heat it's doable. Even with the crowds, we had no trouble riding anything we wanted by being flexible and moving on to another ride if it's too packed then coming back later. The phone app helped a ton to see where was the best place to attack next based on wait times.

Another update...

It appears August is not going to be the month of choice. We are looking now going in October since my Brother in Law says they would not be able to make the trip. Now we are thinking October, which we have done before. However, when I asked for 2 weeks off with my employer, I was shot down. Right now I am talking with my employer about taking a week and a half since it will not as much as a problem since the company I work for is pretty small and my skill set is in high demand there. IOW, I deal with my primary and secondary functions at the same time. However, if I win the lottery... I think taking off for 2 weeks might not be as big of a problem. ;)

If we do go, it will probably be in the early half of October. We figure we can sneak one more long vacation in while my daughter is still young enough to get away with it in school.

We are planning on returning to the Fort Sept. 25 - Oct. 7. Going late Oct. to mid Nov. really didn't help with the holidays, but we survived. Maybe we will see you down there again, this time over in one of the full sites where hopefully it will be quieter. Let T know that my daughter Savannah said hi.

Hope you aren't freezing in Jersey. Vince.

We are planning on returning to the Fort Sept. 25 - Oct. 7. Going late Oct. to mid Nov. really didn't help with the holidays, but we survived. Maybe we will see you down there again, this time over in one of the full sites where hopefully it will be quieter. Let T know that my daughter Savannah said hi.

Hope you aren't freezing in Jersey. Vince.

Funny you should say this as we are thinking October 1/2-10/11 this time around. My daughter has off for Columbus Day. So that would be a travel day for us. I might entertain a September 30th drive date as it would let me get past DC by midnight if I got on the road by 6PM. eh...

I will let my little one know your little one was looking for her. Otherwise it is freakin cold in Jersey.

Well we are going to the Fort. The preliminary reservation has now been booked now that work approved my time off for this trip. Right now we are going to be venturing down there mid October. Glen's Castaway Cove at Typhoon Lagoon this time around. We did this a few years ago and found that is the true way to the Lagoon. Dates we will be arriving the 8th and leaving the either the 17th or 18th. Sorry Snow Medic. I will wave to you on the highway going down LOL.

Sorry Snow Medic. I will wave to you on the highway going down LOL.

That's alright, I may end up changing my ressies to leave out on the 10 or 11, not a big fan of leaving in the middle of the week, and I can always take the Monday off to recoup, depending on how much work I leave behind and if my sidekick is able to manage without me. Being a supervisor is tough to trust work with others and hope it gets done, and done right. But he did all right last year when I took 3 weeks off.

Hi Snow medic! Hopefully we'll get to see you there- we are arriving on 9/29, and staying 2 weeks until 10/13! So far we have 2 families going from MN- we'll be renting campers from Florida Camper Rental, and are really hoping to be in the Big Bear Loop (1400's) We'll have a DIS sign out, so definitely stop and say hi!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter