Now That We're Local - B.Y.O.Dinners?

Raidra

Mouseketeer
I need some help brainstorming dinners to bring into the parks that aren't just regular old sandwiches. Now that we're local, I want to be able to meet my husband at one of the parks after he gets out of work and do a few rides now and then. But with four kids, dinner, even QS, gets really expensive. We've brought sandwiches a few times, but I just feel like a crappy wife/mother for serving my family sandwiches for dinner (totally not true, I know, but still).

So.. I'd love some suggestions for meals that I can make at home and bring into the park in a relatively small soft-sided cooler. I really don't want to bring six big Tupperware containers of anything, and I don't want to bring anything that will be too messy/difficult to balance if we have to sit on a bench or wall to eat.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I support your desire to feed your family good foods but I really don't think it's reasonable to bring things other than sandwiches into a theme park. Or maybe something like ham and cheese roll ups or salad wraps? Perhaps you could have something more substantial made and you could meet at your car to eat before you go in to a theme park?

Easy to do...we do dinners like this a lot with our kids sports schedules. Some things I make or bring are

Cold fried Chicken
Pasta Salads with lots of veggies
Fruit with Cheese and Crackers and some Nuts
Any type of cold grilled meat....sliced london broil, chicken breasts, etc
Greek Yogurt and Cereal
Pepperonis slices
Hard Boiled Eggs
Cold grilled veggies with pita bread
cut up veggies and dip

Just pack things in large ziploc bags and throw them away when done eating. That way you aren't lugging around tupperware containers.

A Picnic in the park is a great idea

Ham and cheddar muffins
Mini quiches
meat or veggie samosa
Mini sausage rolls and mustard dip.
Salsa and chips (Tostitos)
Fresh Veggies and dip
Humas and pita chips
Spinach dip and pumpernickel bread
Tuna macaroni salad
Potato salad, 3 bean salad, coleslaw, tossed salad-caesar salad.
Cheese and veggie kabobs
Fruit kabobs-yogurt dip
Have a great time
Hugs Mel

Last edited:

Easy to do...we do dinners like this a lot with our kids sports schedules. Some things I make or bring are

Cold fried Chicken
Pasta Salads with lots of veggies
Fruit with Cheese and Crackers and some Nuts
Any type of cold grilled meat....sliced london broil, chicken breasts, etc
Greek Yogurt and Cereal
Pepperonis slices
Hard Boiled Eggs
Cold grilled veggies with pita bread
cut up veggies and dip

Just pack things in large ziploc bags and throw them away when done eating. That way you aren't lugging around tupperware containers.
Stop you're making me hungry

I like a lot of suggestions, but to make it with a little more "wow"...how about (in one single big container and bring paper plates)...
Cold spicy sesame noodles with chicken (or can be peanut noodles or spicy thai noodles:)
Brown Debry-esque Cobb Salads
Vietnamese Spring Rolls (these would be incredible:)...

I could keep going, but I'd encourage Asian flavors - they have lots of ideas in that cuisine that are more than just sandwiches, cold soups, and carb salads:)...

sitting at Electric umbrella, I saw a mom sit down a few tables away and pull out a loaf of bread and a jar of PB.

She sat there and made 4 or 5 sammies and I straight up applaud her. No shame in not purchasing only Disney food and bringing something for yourself.

and do a few rides now and then. But with four kids, dinner, even QS, gets really expensive. We've brought sandwiches a few times, but I just feel like a crappy wife/mother for serving my family sandwiches for dinner (totally not true, I know, but still)
Sandwiches now and then for dinner doesn't make you look like a scrappy mother. But an easier option to consider is to not all eat together. You and the kids eat at home, then either you can bring a sandwich for your husband - doesn't make you look like a scrappy wife - or just he can grab something to eat in the park.

Hot Chili in a large thermos. Carrots and celery salad dressing for dipping.
Hot dogs in a large thermos. Buns and condiments, Carrots and celery salad dressing for dipping.
Quiche. Served at room temp. Salad and dressing.
Cold pasta made with Italian salad dressing, olives, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes. (goes over big in my home)
Breaded chicken cutlets served room temp. with carrots and celery salad dressing for dipping.

I don't know how old your kids are and I know you said you don't want to do sandwiches, but that is what we used to do.

I bought one of the Mickey shaped sandwich cutters from Disney and I'd make my son a Mickey shaped sandwich. It was a special treat once a week. I'd pack cut up fruit and veggies along with some crackers.

We have done something similar to this in our local area and me and the kids had dinner at home, I brought DH dinner and we all got desserts, would that work for you? and that way you only have one dinner to bring with you?

With our busy sports/dance schedules in the spring we often eat a cold pasta salad with meat and cheese in it and fruit on the go for dinner.
I also make chicken taco's, calzones and hot dogs , wrap in aluminum foil and eat those wherever we are (the hot dogs are wrapped buns and all. They do this at my sons pee wee football concession stand and we love the buns all soft and steamy). These have all still been warm when wrapped in the foil and then put in my 31 lunch box up to an hour and a half later. For sides its almost always a small Ziploc bag for each person of whatever fruit we have in the fridge chopped up to make a fruit salad of sorts. We always have a large bowl of it in our fridge so it's easy enough to portion out when needed.

for girls scouts we've done several non-meal "meals"

hummus with soft pita and veggies to dip

pasta salad in a zip lock bag

fruit ka-bobs on a coffee stirrer instead of a wooden skewer

you could do just about any salad out of a ziploc bag

baked potatoes

I just want to point out at DL this is much more common with all the local AP crowd. The local crowd is a lot more prevelant there. When we've been we've seen many wagons hauling soft sided coolers and many familes spread out just about anywhere enjoying full on packed up meals. Good luck in your meal planning! I just wanted to point that out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter