Note-free isn't free on NCL

You are correct. The 'free' dinning plan does not include tips and you are presented with a bill at every meal.

It used to include gratuities several years ago, didn't it? I've never done the DDP, free or otherwise, so I'm not sure.

It used to include gratuities several years ago, didn't it? I've never done the DDP, free or otherwise, so I'm not sure.
Yes, it did used to include the gratuities however that ended about six or seven years ago. I'm sure someone will chime in the exact date but it was a while ago.

It included the gratuities the first time we used it in March 2007, but by the time we went back in September 2008, gratuities had been removed. Since they usually make changes to the dining plans on January 1, I'd say the change occurred 1/1/2008.

Well now I'm curious. Disney offers the free dining promo every fall. The standard dining plan does not include gratuity (as it used to). So when Disney offers people the "free" dining plan promo, does this include the 18% gratuity? Or are guests still having to pay that out of pocket? It's been...oh....6+ years since webdid the free dining promo at WDW so I can't really remember exactly. Husband says we did pay our gratuities out of pocket. So it seems even the mouse-who-does-no-wrong isn't above doing the exact same thing NCL is. ;)

It's different when Disney does it. They are just giving us options. When others do it, it's that darn nickel and diming again. ;)

It included the gratuities the first time we used it in March 2007, but by the time we went back in September 2008, gratuities had been removed. Since they usually make changes to the dining plans on January 1, I'd say the change occurred 1/1/2008.
So 10 years ago it included gratuities but not now. Kinda like how NCL's free promos used to include gratuities but not now.

((We paid for the regular dining plan in Dec. 2007. At that time it included appetizer, entree, desert, non-alcoholic beverage, AND gratuity. That was a great deal! The next time we used a dining plan was Nov. 2010 it was appetizer *or* dessert, entree, & non-alcoholic drink. Gratuity not included. That was not such a good deal if you paid for it.))

It's different when Disney does it. They are just giving us options. When others do it, it's that darn nickel and diming again. ;)
So it seems. I'm not an apologist either way. I still cruise Disney. I still cruise other lines as well. Seeing people slamming NCL for something I'm pretty sure I'd seen Disney doing for years before NCL did it seemed a tad unfair. Not trying to get after anyone. Just wanted to point out that Disney isn't above the exact same practice. :)

So it seems. I'm not an apologist either way. I still cruise Disney. I still cruise other lines as well. Seeing people slamming NCL for something I'm pretty sure I'd seen Disney doing for years before NCL did it seemed a tad unfair. Not trying to get after anyone. Just wanted to point out that Disney isn't above the exact same practice. :)

Agreed. It's not a slam against NCL specifically. It's a slam against the "free-but-not-really-free" sales practice in general.

Agreed. It's not a slam against NCL specifically. It's a slam against the "free-but-not-really-free" sales practice in general.
Agreed. Truly free like it once was for both would be much more clear. I just don't want to come off as one of those snarky people pointing out that it's not *just* NCL who does that with the not quite free but mostly. ;)

We just sailed on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. We did not purchase the drink package. Mixed drinks were $12, plus auto gratuity. Looking forward to drinking a BBC on the Wonder next week!

We just sailed on the Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. We did not purchase the drink package. Mixed drinks were $12, plus auto gratuity. Looking forward to drinking a BBC on the Wonder next week!
Whats a BBC.

Agreed. Truly free like it once was for both would be much more clear. I just don't want to come off as one of those snarky people pointing out that it's not *just* NCL who does that with the not quite free but mostly. ;)
I'm sure if DCL offered all you can drink for 99.00 gratuity charge people would be jumping up and down. 99.00 dollars will buy you about 7-9 drinks on any 7 day cruise on any cruise line.

Lol.

Disney charges for a latte and it's ok. Royal does the same and it's awful. Etc.
So true. As much as I love Disney it's funny when people bash other lines for nickel and diming when DCL does the same thing. And the fact that on the other lines you could buy a soda package, dine at specialty restaurants every night and drink speciality coffee to your hearts content and still not come close to the cost of a similar itinerary cruise with Disney makes me laugh. Disney doesn't nickel & dime you. They club you over the head, steal your wallet and wipe out your bank accounts with your ATM card.

So true. As much as I love Disney it's funny when people bash other lines for nickel and diming when DCL does the same thing. And the fact that on the other lines you could buy a soda package, dine at specialty restaurants every night and drink speciality coffee to your hearts content and still not come close to the cost of a similar itinerary cruise with Disney makes me laugh. Disney doesn't nickel & dime you. They club you over the head, steal your wallet and wipe out your bank accounts with your ATM card.
Let me start off that I intially posted this innocently enough. I cruised Carnival twice as a young adult and single where I didn't think about such things and didn't buy packages. Since our son, we've only cruised Disney so what I know of other cruise lines is not as in depth as that of DCL. So when I saw that fee when I checked final pricing I was merely surprised is all and wasn't aware if others noticed such things. I have no experience with meal plans at the parks, etc. as we don't utilize those things when going to the park (yet). From reading others posts, I've not read anything I'd perceive as bashing other cruise lines either, merely people pointing out things perhaps they have/haven't had experience with. So my mere ask is that we're careful how we use "bashing" and such when it's merely a conversation and personally, it's made me think a bit more about these "add ons", "specials", etc. as I've not experienced them like many of you. So bashing wasn't the intent, it was just a surprise to me and if one wasnt careful looking at the total, it's easy to overlook was merely my point.

Oh, and I don't buy latte's/smoothies/eat at Palo/Remy, etc. on the cruise; not sure anyone replying was going there. At least with DCL, I know there are no hidden/surprised fees and I know the quality for that which they are stealing my wallet and clubbing me over the head for; as you would say. The difference is I've gladly provided my bank account for a DCL experience I'd trade nothing for it and didn't mind the lump on the head after the clubbing!

This initially was an information sharing but then turned into a negative assumption about the purpose of my original intent. These boards are to help educate and share knowledge to those who may not have quiet the experience as others. I'd like to see it kept that way. Thanks to those of you who discussed the meal plan as while I've no experience, I found it interesting; and the NCL experience merely opened my eyes a bit and will have me looking closer at "deals" is what I've learned from this.

Disney's pricing is getting so high, it's the reason I'm starting to look at other cruise lines which now means trying to educate myself on what is/isn't included and what makes sense for us.

Last edited:
@pearljammer, yours was a valid point to begin with and I'm glad you asked. You might've been confused forever! ;)

I don't think anyone was fussing at you for posting. It's not you. It's just a common thing for people to bash other cruise lines here as if they're a lesser product or bad or evil. I suppose on a Disney fan board that's to be expected. Then there's those who've sailed other lines and understand the products others offer aren't bad or lesser. They're just different. Different isn't bad. As they say, variety is the spice of life. :)

When shopping other lines it's important to keep in mind that the price structures are different. On Disney you pay a larger lump as your cruise fare and more is included. On other lines you pay less of a lump as your cruise fare then pay additional for only the extras you want vs. all of them. Nothing hidden or shocking. One is more of a prix fixe while the other is ala carte.

The "hidden" service fees are more or less assumed. You don't see signs everywhere when you enter a bar or upcharge restaurant on a Disney ship informing you that you'll be paying a gratuity. It's assumed. The service fees on the beverage & dining packages on other lines are much the same. I've actually done the "free" beverage package & "free" upcharge dining package promo on NCL 3x. Paid that service fee happily 3x. It was a great deal. The first time we sailed them on the Getaway in Sept 2015 they were giving receipts at each of the bars. We saved every one of them & totaled them up when we got home. Husband & I drank over $800 worth between us. At the restaurants we would've tipped anyway so the pre-paid gratuity was one less thing. We had a fantastic time on all 3 of our NCL cruises just as we did most of our Disney cruises.

One thing I do need to add is the offers are truly "fee free" on NCL if you are booked in a Haven suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter