Not again! Potential strike at Air Canada

We fly AC this trip. We were supposed to leave Saturday but with all the uncertainty we changed our flights to Friday, just to give us 24 hours of wiggle room. Now, not only do I not have to worry about the strike, I get to Disney a day early!

Glad they appear to have averted the strike. I think this trip to WDW will be our last on AC anyways though, the $100 in total bag fees that will be added to future trips is the straw that breaks the camel's back for us.

I've been doing my best not to think about it But also on my mind was Online Checkin..... do I or don't I. Wanted to, but oh lord!

And it's not settled.... I've read "The voting process will take at least one week, giving travellers a little time to breathe".....sigh, my flight is 28 Sep... not feeling 100% secure!
. .. aargh.

But for you people travelling in the next few days..:thumbsup2

I've been doing my best not to think about it But also on my mind was Online Checkin..... do I or don't I. Wanted to, but oh lord!

And it's not settled.... I've read "The voting process will take at least one week, giving travellers a little time to breathe".....sigh, my flight is 28 Sep... not feeling 100% secure!
. .. aargh.

But for you people travelling in the next few days..:thumbsup2

Yes I agree, we leave on the 29th and until everything is 100% I am still worried. I hate the uncertainty that this causes the general public, so unfair :mad:

I'm pretty sure that I read that voting won't take place for another 17 days (as of yesterday, so 16 days today), which means that if it gets rejected, it will be on or around Oct 7th.

I'm pretty sure that I read that voting won't take place for another 17 days (as of yesterday, so 16 days today), which means that if it gets rejected, it will be on or around Oct 7th.

Yes I "just" read that. So I guess I am okay going down but may have issues coming home, but I will take that....LOL We don't come back until the 14th so we will probably be okay if they do end up striking and back to work leg goes thru after 3 days.

I hope everyone else is okay getting down and back home!

The more I read about it, the less I worry about this affecting travel anytime soon.

This will be the second deal their union negotiated. Based on the first ratification vote, one would have to assume the union leadership would know what will or won't get ratified.

If for some chance this second deal gets voted down, membership would likely turf the union leadership who negotiated two bad deals in a row (in their opinion). This would mean they would need to find new bargaining representatives before even thinking of negotiating and striking again. On top of that, it is obvious the government would not tolerate them walking off the job and will very quickly intervene and force them back. Having two failed tentative agreements already, it is quite possible the government would get sick and tired of it all and could just impose a contract or force binding arbitration. Both scenarios could very well lead to a contract less favourable to the flight attendants than the one they have on the table now.

Not saying a strike won't happen for sure, it would just defy most logic to me at least

Well it turns out the Flight Attendants did not ratify the second tentative agreement. I guess the union negotiators did not know membership very well.

Air Canada has been advised by CUPE, the union representing the airline's 6,800 flight attendants, that the new tentative agreement reached by the Company and the union's negotiating committee on September 20, 2011 was not ratified by the union membership. Subsequently, Air Canada has been given a strike notice by CUPE confirming the union's intention to begin a strike at 00:01 a.m. ET Thursday October 13, 2011.

http://newswire.ca/en/story/855873/air-canada-receives-strike-notice-from-cupe

Hoping for the best for everyone's travel plans...

Ugh :headache:

Hope all gets sorted out before Thursday...

:)

Ugh :headache:

Hope all gets sorted out before Thursday...

:)

Same here. Supposed to go Saturday but would have to cancel. No other options except rebook to next year if Disney will let us do that.

Only silver lining I see is that I'm not in Florida trying to figure out how to get home.

If they do strike on Thursday the gov't will legislate them back to work within 3 days I'm sure.

Same here. Supposed to go Saturday but would have to cancel. No other options except rebook to next year if Disney will let us do that.

Only silver lining I see is that I'm not in Florida trying to figure out how to get home.

I'm in Florida right now and suppose to head back Friday, I rather be stuck here for a few days than not able to get down here. Can anyone say extended vacation....LOL

Seriously it will be a pain but I won't stress over it since I will still be on vacation mode ;)

Aww crap :(

I'm supposed to return home on Sunday and I really don't want to be stuck in Orlando without a flight home. I hope everything gets sorted out before then.

Aww crap :(

I'm supposed to return home on Sunday and I really don't want to be stuck in Orlando without a flight home. I hope everything gets sorted out before then.

Get in touch with your TA now, and work out some acceptable alternatives.

Wait times on hold today are hours, hours...ugh.

I've got clients booked for flights, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday... and as I've told all of them... it's not a good sign that AC is already posting no-fee changes.

:headache::headache::headache:

Not going to be a fun weekend.

:(

I think everyone is ok..for now:confused3
They seem to have had their 'wings clipped' for the time being.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter