Northern Italy & Switzerland 2016 - Finished with Post Nights in Milan

Not sure. I did compare prices online and Mont Cervin Palace was actually more expensive for the few dates I tried. And on tripadvisor they are neck and neck with Mont Cervin being slightly higher rated. So, who knows? Maybe it's not a bad move. I hope someone next year reports back. But we on the adventure fell in love with the Zermatterhoff. I wouldn't change it. The hotel in Stresa, yes. Zermatterhof, no.

Zermatterhof was so old fashioned in a good way- the large key and the lovely facade with balconies over looking the Matterhorn. I am also interested in reading a report next year to see the change. I totally agree with Kevin- the hotel in Stresa was ok, but only ok. There was a huge increase in quality of the last two hotels. I would rate them: Zermatthof-->Hotel Schweizerhof-->Regina Palace.

Sorry it took a while... Kate's shoes from David's:

29274437260_468929f9d0_z.jpg

She was looking at some others as well, but they're all hand made and seasonal so sizes were slim pickings this time of year.

Thanks for sharing! I've been traveling and not looking at the boards for a bit. I love the colors.

I totally agree with Kevin- the hotel in Stresa was ok, but only ok. There was a huge increase in quality of the last two hotels. I would rate them: Zermatthof-->Hotel Schweizerhof-->Regina Palace.
That's how I'd rate them as well. Although I think the Schweizerhof was very good. Actually, thinking more about it I'd perhaps put the Schweizerhof above the Zermatthof purely on the basis of the physical accommodations. Of course its impossible to beat the Zermatthof for the view. :)

That's how I'd rate them as well. Although I think the Schweizerhof was very good. Actually, thinking more about it I'd perhaps put the Schweizerhof above the Zermatthof purely on the basis of the physical accommodations. Of course its impossible to beat the Zermatthof for the view. :)

Agreed. They're both great hotels. I prefer the Zermatterhof, but it gets the edge regardless because it's in Zermatt facing the Matterhorn.
I'll try to get to continuing the trip report in the near future. We've been moving our office location for the last week. It's been busy!

Day 5 Zermatt

Sorry it's been a while. This is why I try to type these trip reports while still on the ABD. It's been so crazy ever since I returned from Italy, but I'm finally getting back into a routine. BTW in case any of my fellow travelers out there are not on FB, but will be at WDW on Nov 14th, a few of us are doing a mini reunion. PM me if you're around.

And on with the show...

Waking up with a view of the Matterhorn is surreal. So gorgeous. This alone is makes the ABD worth it. Seriously, I sit at home sometimes and think about my view of that mountain. It was magical. It seemed clearer this morning compared to yesterday, but it changes by the minute.

30533458246_a06ecfe69b_c.jpg

30533461806_5cc610e460_c.jpg

29935894173_38c83b1a44_c.jpg

Today we headed up to the Gornergrat overlooking the Alps via the train. Usually this is done on the previous day, but the guides felt it would be clearer this morning. It ended up being a great call. It was a beautiful day. The tram from the center of town takes you up the mountains.

30481729361_83a7ccb0a5_c.jpg

29935879833_7b5f318eca_c.jpg

29938260824_685b89f89b_c.jpg

It was absolutely GORGE-OUS! The weather was crisp and we were surrounding by the Alps. It was awe inspiring. Truly one of the most beautiful places on Earth. The temperature was much cooler up at the top, so bring a sweater or jacket.

29938352194_0eb7f5dea3_c.jpg

29938354784_04f87ab4e4_c.jpg

29936024573_0a8cac891a_c.jpg

29935927573_62f9a05266_c.jpg

Since this was a Dreams Unlimited/DIS Unplugged ABD, I was able to chip in and help Pete with a vlog. I think I did a pretty good job, but probably won't be quitting my day job. I believe the video is on his FB page.
29935923713_2b330ccacf_c.jpg

After our trip back down into Zermatt we had the optional ropes course. It was fun, but intense. It was definitely more difficult than simple zip lining. We had a good time though.

29935936933_432484f615_c.jpg

30270639650_5f700c670a_c.jpg

30270641390_cbcb25bb54_c.jpg

For the rest of the afternoon we grabbed lunch and shopped around town. Zermatt's an easy town to explore. It's pretty much one main street lined with restaurants and shops. We picked up some sweaters and lots of chocolate (which I'm sad to say is all gone now). No watches, but if you were on the hunt for a watch this is a decent place to look.

30481827851_5a69c4d67e_c.jpg

30481831621_c76d6f303a_c.jpg

Dinner was at the hotel and it was excellent. BTW there was a group that ate at the more casual restaurant the night before and though it was horrible. Everyone loved tonight's dinner though at their more upscale restaurant.

30270739670_7d1a2e55f0_c.jpg

29938371834_a36d9cc012_c.jpg

Tomorrow we head up to Lucerne. Everyone universally loved Zermatt. I wish ABD would extend their stay here. Zermatt was really the high point to the ABD. It's one of my favorite places I've ever visited anywhere. So peaceful, so beautiful. Just sitting out on the balcony of the Zermatterhof looking up towards the Matterhorn was one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Heeee's baaaaack.....thanks Kevin for coming back to the trip report.....I could look at pictures of the Matterhorn all day....I don't know why but it causes a visceral response that I was unprepared for....wish that we could join you on the mini reunion but work gets in the way.....Amy our daughter left her dark chocolate here and only eats a small amount when she comes home to prolong the experience so she still has a few pieces...best chocolate ever:thumbsup2

I will never forget that view of the Matterhorn. There is just something magical about it.

Our room at the Zermatterhof was nicer than the one we had at the Schweitzerhof -- it had been recently updated and was also quite large. I felt terribly guilty about this as some in our group had old, outdated rooms with no balcony. We had a few people from our group come to our balcony to watch the fireworks in the village (our stay happened to coincide with the celebration of Switzerland's independence and a huge street festival celebrating the occasion culminating with breathtaking fireworks and a concert in the village -- it was so so much fun literally dancing in the street with fellow adventurers).

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. Your photos bring back such fond memories. Didn't you love the ropes course? I would've done the expert course except I didn't want to do it alone and my son wasn't interested.

Since your chocolate is gone, you may or may not be happy to know that Laderach ships overseas! I placed an order and it arrived in perfect condition in approx. 3 weeks.

I am looking forward to the next installment.

@*WDW*Groupie*
Yes at the Zermatterhof a few guests did not have balconies. I'm not sure how many. We had a balcony at the Zermatterhof, but did not have a balcony at the Schweizerhof. Both are great hotels, but I just loved the Zermatterhof. That must have been amazing to see fireworks over the village! Speaking of the Schweizerhof, I saw in Conde Nast is was rated the #1 hotel in Switzerland. Pretty impressive. The issue had several rankings all over the world. I was happy to see ABD used several of them.

I enjoyed the ropes course quite a bit, but it was more intense than I thought it would be. It was a big step up from simple zip lining. I'm honestly not sure how Gavin, my 11yo, would have done on it.

Thanks for reminding me about Laderach shipping. I learned that shortly after returning home from one of our new ABD travel friends, Will. My birthday is coming up soon and I know how everyone says I'm difficult to shop for.... Not anymore! Laderach.com :)

Day 6 Zermatt to Lucerne Part 1

30620567942_5cb5ba5114_c.jpg

Funny story, there’s this glass etching of a life size hiker in front of the hotel and they illuminate his silhouette at night. One of my friends from the trip thought it was just some guy standing out in front of the hotel… “Who is that creepy guy? And what’s he doing just standing there?” Too funny…

When you go to Zermatt you MUST wake up for the sunrise over the Matterhorn. At our hotel we all just stepped out onto our balconies. It’s so amazing. And the lighting changes by the minute. This morning was absolutely spectacular. The Matterhorn was crystal clear. As the sun rose you could see an amazing bright reflection on the tip of the mountain and it just continued to grow until the entire mountain was beautifully illuminated.

30737218615_ee1802d045_c.jpg

30101814163_34c158828a_c.jpg

By the time it got to this point, we were all eating breakfast and hurried out to the patio to witness it. Group picture time. Sadly the Matterhorn doesn’t show up well.

30101806943_f485e52b94_c.jpg

There seems to be an early morning magic hour, because once the sun rises the clouds quickly come in and surround the Matterhorn. I'm going to miss the Matterhorn and would love to come back some day. One more mountain pic… just because.

30436794980_2bd2309545_c.jpg

I can hear Andrea Bocilli sing, “Time to Say Goodbye” as we make the sad departure from Zermatt. I do wish ABD would add another day in Zermatt. This is a wonderful ABD, perhaps the best I’ve been on, but ending is Lucerne is a bit anitclimatic. I understand the reasoning. ABD has to get you close to an airport for the last day and Zermatt is nowhere near an airport. Lucerne is worth visiting, but the adventure really peaks in Zermatt.

Had to get a selfie with Zermatt’s mascot before taking the train out of town.

30104828184_9aa8520f8c_c.jpg

So we boarded our bus for the drive up to Lucerne. It was a beautiful drive. At some point we got off to catch a train (loading up the bus and all) to go through the mountains. I think it was called the Furka pass, but I could be completely wrong. It was a good drive as far as these things go.

30737272035_3d6f6f97f4_c.jpg

30737281875_2280621012_c.jpg

and here’s where we were for all the fellow geo-nerds out there:

30700363186_b15c419466_c.jpg

I believe this was the day the guides had us do a little game - write 2 truths and a lie and everyone on the bus gets to guess what’s the lie. Ahh, really? Do we have to? Can it really get anymore painful as far as group games go? We all grumbled and struggled through it. It was kind of funny at times. Mine were dumb. I believe I had:
1) One of my hobbies is watching Italian movies.
2) I like collect wine.
3) I’ve written trip reports on all my ABD’s on DISBoards.

So if anyone wants to hazard a guess… It was kind of funny, people were texting friends at home for help. People were copying other peoples answers. Even our desperation for putting something down on paper was funny.

Up next, lunch and Lucerne

Last edited:
Oh, I would be horrible at that game!!

My DH actually said he would consider doing this trip after I make him look at all your photos (and @mare1203 ). The fact that it is a little more off the beaten path and the zip line/ropes course were highly motivating. So, thank you both for putting all the work you do into the TR. They absolutely do make a difference!!

@*WDW*Groupie*
Yes at the Zermatterhof a few guests did not have balconies. I'm not sure how many. We had a balcony at the Zermatterhof, but did not have a balcony at the Schweizerhof. Both are great hotels, but I just loved the Zermatterhof. That must have been amazing to see fireworks over the village! Speaking of the Schweizerhof, I saw in Conde Nast is was rated the #1 hotel in Switzerland. Pretty impressive. The issue had several rankings all over the world. I was happy to see ABD used several of them.

I enjoyed the ropes course quite a bit, but it was more intense than I thought it would be. It was a big step up from simple zip lining. I'm honestly not sure how Gavin, my 11yo, would have done on it.

Thanks for reminding me about Laderach shipping. I learned that shortly after returning home from one of our new ABD travel friends, Will. My birthday is coming up soon and I know how everyone says I'm difficult to shop for.... Not anymore! Laderach.com :)

Glad to make the chocolate suggestion :) I know I will be ordering soon!

Heeee's baaaaack.....thanks Kevin for coming back to the trip report.....I could look at pictures of the Matterhorn all day....I don't know why but it causes a visceral response that I was unprepared for....wish that we could join you on the mini reunion but work gets in the way.....Amy our daughter left her dark chocolate here and only eats a small amount when she comes home to prolong the experience so she still has a few pieces...best chocolate ever:thumbsup2

I still have a little chocolate left from our trip. But it gets eaten at work- EM attending, residents and nurses love really chocolate on crazy shifts (as I have recently found out).

In my defense I first noticed it at night from my balcony.:blush: It is fun reliving the trip.

I was just thinking of disboards and esp this thread this morning- As I was walking to dog, FB ads (the targeted ones) showed a photo of the Matterhorn. Its like FB know my deepest desires to go back. I agree with everyone- pictures of the Matterhorn brings back great memories . Currently working on photos in lightroom to make a shadowbox.

Zermatt looks absolutely beautiful. The Matterhorn must be breathtaking in person- it certainly is from the pictures.

It really is iconic! No wonder Walt wanted it for his park.

Glad to make the chocolate suggestion :) I know I will be ordering soon!

I still have a little chocolate left from our trip. But it gets eaten at work- EM attending, residents and nurses love really chocolate on crazy shifts (as I have recently found out).

I was just thinking of disboards and esp this thread this morning- As I was walking to dog, FB ads (the targeted ones) showed a photo of the Matterhorn. Its like FB know my deepest desires to go back. I agree with everyone- pictures of the Matterhorn brings back great memories . Currently working on photos in lightroom to make a shadowbox.

I tried some chocolate at the fancy chocolate shop at Disney Springs. It was very good, but just not the same as it was in Switzerland. I need to put in an online order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter