Non-WDW nice orlando restaurant recommendation?

buttercup10

Mouseketeer
I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice non-WDW, orlando restaurant. My cast-member BIL and his new wife are transferring back to Orlando and the mother-ship (i.e. WDW) in January and don't want a lot of "stuff" for Christmas so we wanted to give them a gift certificate to a nice restaurant so they can celebrate being settled, once they get settled. Somewhere with absolutely nothing to do with Disney, where maybe a $100 GC would get them drinks, dinner, dessert, and possibly a bit of tip. Preferably not a national chain. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I have long been a fan of The Boheme at The Grand Bohemian hotel downtown. I worked for the hotel long ago, and the restaurant is truly spectacular. One of only a handful of 4 diamond winners in Orlando. $100 would likely get their food and some tip, but covering drinks would be a stretch. But if a meal that is as far removed from theme park atmosphere is what you're looking for, this will do the trick...

Millers Orlando Ale House. Good food, great atmosphere and the prices were not bad either!

Celebration Tavern was very good also....nice laid back atmosphere.

Millers Orlando Ale House. Good food, great atmosphere and the prices were not bad either!

We ate at the new Ale House fairly recently and the usually good food was mediocre at best (for all four of us). And I'm pretty easy to please with your average bar food.

Tavern is consistently good and $100 would go a long way there.

We like Pacino's, they have really good Italian food and a nice atmosphere. Not a national chain and a $100 gc card should cover everything there.

Columbia Restaurant in Celebration.
I second this suggestion.

Columbia is an old-line Spanish (not Cuban or Mexican) restaurant from Tampa's famous Ybor City historic district. Their 1905 Salad, mixed at your table, is a must and everything on the menu is excellent. Very nice ambiance, great service, and if they don't find a dessert they like on the menu, Kilwins (awesome chocolate and ice cream) is right around the corner.

We eat at Columbia every trip.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/celebration.asp

While these are great "go to" restaurants when you want to grab a drink or a cheap bite or do happy hour with co-workers, I would never place either of them in the "nice restaurant" category.

I second Café Tu Tu Tango, such a cool atmosphere with GREAT food!

Padrino’s Cuban Bistro is good and even though I know it’s a chain Seasons 52 is something delicious and different.

I agree with the other poster -- neither of these are particularly "nice" restaurants.

Ale House is a chain sports bar. There are better and worse. We have 3 Ale Houses within a 30 minute drive, and none of the 3 are in the top 3 sports bars in their neighborhood. Our closest one is the #1 meat market in our part of town, but I doubt that's what OP is looking for.

We've eaten at Old Town Tavern in Celebration twice. It's a casual, kick-back atmosphere that tries to combine Key West ambiance with Boston food -- and does neither well. The food has varied from unremarkable to disappointing both times.

The last time we were there (May 2011) the live entertainment was really embarrassing to listen to. I like live entertainers, even poor ones, but the guy singing that Saturday night was really pathetic. I felt bad for him.

Several good places in Celebration -- the Old Town Tavern isn't one of them.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions on this - I ended up getting them a gift card to Columbia - it sounded like a restaurant I would love to go to, looks like a place where $100 will get them a great meal and drinks, and is in Celebration, where they are looking to possibly rent in when they re-locate, so I'm hoping it will be a winner! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter