non-candy easter basket ideas ?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by pocomom, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pocomom

pocomom Brr.....

Trying to make a candy free easter basket for my 11 year old (and no, I'm not mean...health reasons) Her siblings are easy because they are still little so bubbles, chalk. small toys etc., I have more than enough for both of them.
    DD is kind of a nerdy kid, which I say in the most loving way... Not into boys or the teen scene, yet she's outgrown most toys. I need some inexpensive Easter ideas, I can think of a ton of over budget ideas. She is not into makeup with the exception of nail polish, and doesn't like girly girl things.. she would rather read in her free time. She does archery, horseback riding, skiing, fencing and swims competively which takes up most of her free time. I think she is over Lego's largely, but she does like designing and drawing clothes, rooms and houses. She likes money and gift cards, but of course I could spend a fortune on those with her basket still looking lame compared to her siblings. We do fill the plastic Easter eggs with coins for our Egg Hunt. I can't find any new books that she would like, she's into things like Harry Potter and Lightening Thief. Here's what I've gotten so far :

new hairbrush
    couple bottles of nail polish
    Seed packets for flowers
    new pair of swim googles
    And even those were at a higher per-item cost then most of her siblings things.... Love to figure out some $1-$3 dollar items or ... Ideas?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Maybe some DVDs or art supplies? A small journal and some gel pens, gum and books.
    My DD wants the bunny to bring her cowboy boots! She knows there is no bunny as she's a teen, but I am going to put them in an Easter basket!

4. Tallent

Tallent Mouseketeer

my 11 year old dd is getting:

goggles
    a few dvds (the clique, summer 11, and another I can't remember)
    an itunes gift card
    dollar bills in a few eggs with a bigger bill in a special egg
    a new skin for her itouch ( a bunny with tails and a pom tail)
    a mini hipster

The skin wasn't very much at all (five or under I'd say) and 1 or 2 of the dvds were under 10. Have fun shopping!

5. wallawallakids

wallawallakids DIS Veteran

I was really looking for affordable options this year for our four kids that did not include a ton of candy. So I made art baskets. They came out super cute. I saw the idea in a magazine. Anyway they used empty paint cans as the baskets. Then I filled them with crayons, markers, erasers, coloring books, workbooks, color wonder Disney pages, stickers, colored pencils, paints, and paper. The best thing was that Target had a huge sale and most of it was really inexpensive. Even the color wonder books were on sale. In the end I spent less then $20 a kid and I am really pleased with how cute they turned out. Plus they can use all of it on the drive down to Grandma's Easter day and on the plane when we leave for our cruise in a few weeks. My 11 year old loves crafts so that was what made me think the idea might work well for your DD too. :)

6. disney1990

disney1990 <font color=royalblue>Wow, it make my heart skip a

Check out the Target Dollar Spot too. I got my DD a cute "Yellow Duck" luggage tag. I also got her nail polish, earrings and a bag of pistachios.

7. swebb0310

swebb0310 Mouseketeer

They may not have many or any anymore, but at the Disney store they had mickey and Minnie stuffed folks dressed up as the bunnies. They were 7.50 with a purchase of 25$ and I think 12$ or so by themselves.

8. pocomom

pocomom Brr.....

Those sound super cute!

9. torinsmom

torinsmom <font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>

Michaels and AC Moore have little art kits for $1. I like the perler beads ones--they have the pegboard, beads, and the ironing paper in them.

Otherwise, maybe some chapstick or lip gloss, a mini flashlight. I'd hit up the Dollar Tree and see what they have.

10. pocomom

pocomom Brr.....

Cute pens would be great for my dd. Thanks for the idea. My older girls both know about Santa, Easter bunny and whatnot but I still pretend to not know what they are talking about. My mom actually started it, still won't admit anything :)

11. brymolmom

brymolmom DIS Veteran

My dd 9 is getting:
    $10 itunes gift card
    Large book of Suduko puzzles
    Light up toy
    hair ties
    A few pieces of chocolate

That's it!

Our baskets are pretty small - doesn't take too much to fill them.

12. clh2

clh2 <font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my

Walmart had frisbees for $0.97, since the OP is looking for inexpensive ideas. They also had some water-balloons for the same price and it included a faucet filler thing. I bought those for DD, her boyfriend, and another person who they hang around with. I figured that might be a fun way to take a break during exams!

Can you pick up any small lotions/potions at Bath and Body works?

My last idea - does your DD use any "hair things" i.e. pony tail holders, headbands etc - I find those to be nice "stocking stuffer" ideas.

13. Taylor'sMom

Taylor'sMom Wish I was there...

In addition to the swim goggles, what about flip flops (cheap at Old Navy) and a beach towel ($6 or less, Target or Wal-Mart) and sunglasses. In the Target $ bins I found a waterproof pouch for a cell phone/iPod/money. Perfect if she's a swimmer.

14. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

What about using a beach bag to put all of her Easter goodies in?

15. pantherlj

pantherlj DIS Veteran

What about non candy food items that you don't normally buy? My 13 yr old loves Nutella but will eat a jar in a few days so I don't buy often :) I am in the middle of packing our house for an upcoming move and am kicking myself for buying all those $2 junk items just to have something to fill an easter basket or stocking! They are all going in the trash or to good will never touched.

Mechanical pencils or nice pens for school
    fun colored socks and/or shoelaces (popular with middle school here)
    jump rope
    hand sanitizer from bath and body workers

16. canadianjovigirl

canadianjovigirl DIS Veteran

My 12 year old hates chocolate and also isn't into make up. She's getting I tunes gift card, nail art pens, nail decals, baby lips lip tint, beef jerky, gum, a quiz book I found at walmart, sun glasses, and a few other candy items like suckers, gummies.

I skip all the cheap filler stuff as it ends up being a waste and go for quantity over quality as at that age they are aware of prices and what they like.

17. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

I am giving cash in eggs, a new x-box game, and a couple of dvds.

It would be a waste of money to get my boys little dollar items. They have no interest.

Not much candy. They still have Christmas candy. I did get some hard candy.....jolly ranchers and such. That is fine.

Dawn

18. MomToOne

MomToOne DIS Veteran

DD12 is getting:

- A big ole bag of cotton balls :rotfl2: I'm tired of her always stealing mine for doing her nailpolish (which she does every day it seems, so everytime I turn around mine are all gone)
    - A big bottle of nailpolish remover (because she does her nails just about every day she runs out constantly)
    - A couple of new nailpolishes
    - Solar Daisy (just for fun - from DollarTree)
    - Fuzzy socks for around the house
    - New case for her iPad mini
    - Collapsable over-the-ear earphones ($5 Target clearance a month or two back - she doesn't like earbuds, and these are good for travelling)
    - New Vinylmation (bought a few before Christmas on clearance)

19. crusoe2

crusoe2 DIS Veteran

I've tried to buy fewer (and more practical) things for DD10 this year and yet still make it fun. So far I've gotten tech decals to decorate her laptop, a couple of small Webkinz, an Easter-themed Mad Libs book (she can stand to work on parts of speech and I thought this would be a fun way to do it), and a cute pen I found at Justice (extra long pen with hot pink cat-eye glasses at the end). I think I'm also going to add one of those towel turban thingies, a dvd, and maybe a new cover for her cellphone. I plan to fill plastic eggs with inexpensive jewelry, some new ponytail holders, and a little cash. I think that will be it for low-budget items. Still debating on something more expensive. She loves Vera Bradley and has her eye on a couple of the new colors that just came out. I think a mini hipster would come in handy for her on some occasions so I may add that in one of the new colors.

20. SYDCOLEMOM

SYDCOLEMOM Mouseketeer

My 9 year old daughter is getting Rise of the Guardians dvd, owl pajamas, nail polish, swim goggles, sunglasses, flip flops, swim suit, reusable cup w/ straw, earrings and a necklace with her name. She is also getting a bicycle. Her bicycle was stolen a few months ago and we promised her a new bike this spring.

21. Ephany

Ephany DIS Veteran

My DD loves mad libs books. Those color-a-design books area also popular. They're more intricate than little kid's color books; I think they usually have a mandala pattern. DD also loves Percy Jackson/Harry Potter - right now she's reading the Sisters Grimm series. If you don't mind used, they've been out for awhile. You might be able to find some nice, used paperbacks. Smencils or scented pens could be fun too. :)

Oh, and DD loves having her own Tervis tumblers so she doesn't have to share. We usually fill them up with candy, but you could do hair clips or bands.