NOBODY IS MORE SURPRISED THAN US! GKTW alumni return! 10/21 MOVING DAY!!

I want to thank everyone for the prayers for my father and my family about 6 weeks ago (on Judy's old thread), I am happy to say that he is much better after his fall and 2 areas of bleeding in the brain, he will never be normal but he is alive and more importantly, he is now living in a nursing home 10 minutes away from me instead of 700 miles away! He was transferred to South Carolina on Friday from Florida, I was able to see him today and he is so confused but knew who I am, its like he is living in 3 different worlds when he talks, blending in parts of his life from here, Florida and when he lived in Charlotte NC, shoot I felt confused when I left because of trying to follow his conversation but he is HOME to SC finally and for that I am so grateful!
I remember the worry and concern over this Deborah and must say I am so happy you have him close to you. You are such a support to your family! :hug:
Thank you Amy! :goodvibes
scdak -- Glad to hear about your dad now being near you. You will never regret having this time with him.

Praying for the sister in crisis.
Thank you Debbie! :goodvibes You are right about having the family close! :hug:
Judy - so happy to hear you get a much needed vacation!! That is exciting news!! Life has been crazy here but some real unexpected blessings have come my way too. Not quite as exciting as Florida, but my son got a PAID internship, my daughter got her braces off, and we have Chinese exchange students coming! I am always amazed at the blessings God has for us.

Your trip will be awesome! Check out groupon for things to do in Orlando
Thank you for being here! I will do a search for Orlando groupons, great idea! I LOVE all of the positives in your life and each one deserves celebrating! I would love all of them (although I am not sure I could devote enough time to the exchange student- but I would love the opportunity)! God is amazing!

Hi Judy! Thanks for the heads up! I will be back to read - so excited you are taking another trip to FL! We leave in 9 days!!!:banana:
TAMMIE!!! So glad you are here...NINE DAYS!!! WooHoo!!! :yay::dance3::yay:

We have decided there will be a movie night each week to count down to our trip. We have never done this “officially” with getting the food involved; however, thought it would be fun. The family was on board, so I suggested each person be in charge of one of the weeks, with Lisa and I working as a team on her week (I am the advisor/assistant for everyone, giving as much or as little assistance as they choose). It can be elaborate or low-key. This brilliant idea hit me Friday night, we truly haven't been able to contain our excitement and this is a great way to channel it.

Lisa came to me yesterday and said let’s do our first movie night for dinner. I liked that idea, except I had to take Rachel to School of Rock for show practice. Pete, Christian and David said they would help if I did the planning, organizing and told them how to prepare it all...simple enough! We came home to a lot of hustle in the kitchen and things were on track! Lisa had planned to make invitations and write a menu; however, with time so short (It took them the entire three hours to get things going, lol) she was okay with letting the food stand on its own. I know lots of people go all out for these nights; however, I have told everyone to make it there own...I am excited to see what they come up with!

Lisa decided for her movie to be The Jungle Book, she has been studying that in theater class and they presented a great show this past Friday! She was a vulture and was VERY cute and graceful...LOVED IT!

file_zps1845a3da.jpg

Baloo’s Ants on a Log

file_zps380ee247.jpg

Vulture’s Vegetable’s

file_zps16954c71.jpg

Bears Berries

file_zps20a48918.jpg

Jungle Juice

file_zps1e56ecc1.jpg

Mowgli’s Meat
This was the first item Lisa decided on. When I asked Lisa what we should serve, the first thing out of her mouth was MEAT! For those of you who have read our story before, meat is a luxury at our house and Lisa LOVES meat! She even got Turkey legs for Christmas from Santa and was SO happy!

file_zps173f1da4.jpg

Bagherra’s Brown Rice

file_zps88b3664b.jpg

Our cute “jungle face” plates

file_zps9c8475d6.jpg

Monkey Bread for dessert
I forgot to photograph it before we cut it (I put half away for breakfast, it was so large). I found a recipe to cut the calories in half and it was DELICIOUS!

file_zps5e60dc6c.jpg

My little “vulture” wearing the hat she made Friday at Theater.

file_zps17cc3150.jpg

So proud and happy!

Our first movie night was a HUGE success (although I fell asleep the last 15 minutes...so typical of me if I sit down)! I am looking forward to what the family comes up with. Rachel is up next, although I am planning a little surprise for July 4th...

We do countdown dinners too. There is a thread on the DIS that is dedicated to themed dinners. There are some great ideas. So much fun. I will see if I can find the link.

Fun idea for dinner! I was hoping we would do some countdown stuff around here - we're staying with our son right now, but they have been working on getting approved for a foster to adopt program, so it has taken all of their time and energy, and mom doesn't cooperate with grandma's (mine) ideas too well. ;) She did make a countdown calendar, and then no one was using it. The kids are still excited, though!

What a great movie night! Lisa did a fantastic job planning. You'd never know elements were missing due to time constraints. Love the plates, the menu, the visor, etc. Looking forward to seeing each week's movie night.

LOVE family movie nights as part of a countdown!! Great job with Jungle Book Lisa! :cool1: Can't wait to see what Rachel has planned! When my kids were all younger we did a Friday night movie night every single Friday night complete with a family sleepover in the living room. My youngest loved The Incredibles and when it came out on DVD, we watched that darned thing every Friday night for a MONTH!!! So much fun and so many great memories! :goodvibes

blessedmom4 said:
Racehl, I know you are exceptionally busy, I really appreciate your signing in! I am happy you are here, but I DON'T envy you potty training! I hope it goes well and you are sharing how easy it was soon! lIsa IS better, Thank you for your prayers! :goodvibes

I am going to try to sign in more. Glad Lisa is better.

ladylyons said:
Good luck with the potty training!! I've been through it twice in the last couple years and am getting ready to start #3 on his training (he's starting to ask to use the potty). (Just waiting until we get back from my parent's house on July 7.) The first one was a little harder than the 2nd but I'm sure Annabelle will get it because it was my girl who was easier than my boy!! Good luck!!

Thank you I definitely think I will need all the luck and prayers I can get. We started two thursdays ago and it is hard and frustrating but it will be worth it when she gets it.

Your little girl is adorable by the way and love the Sofia dress.

blessedmom4 said:
Prayer Warriors, I need help. We have one of our own that is struggling. She has been in crisis for a long time and needs more than I can give her.

Praying.

Your movie night looked like so much fun. Hope the next goes well as well.

I have a prayer request for everyone. I do not remember if I asked for prayer or not for my close friends mom who I have known forever in may when she was in the hospital for a drug reaction where she was in ICU. I am asking for prayers for her mom and the family again. She is back in the hospital as of last night again. Please please pray for them.

Judy, what is the name of that resort you stayed at. We are considering an offsite resort through Veteran's Holiday's to save money this time and there are a lot of RCI property's that come available. It's hard to sort through them all.

Love the movie night thing. I've been debating doing the same thing and I love the idea of letting the kids plan them. Lisa did a great job on hers.

Sandra, Frist, your little Sophia the First is so pretty! I well remember the problems back in January (that seems years ago) and I would say this was a vary wise parenting move, Sarah looks adorable!

I hope potty training goes quickly, I found my middle two easy (Lisa was harder because of her strokes, she "got it" but physically it was more difficult).

And you don't have a jealous bone in your body, you would just like to go to Florida as well...I wish you could!

I know! 6 months ago we were just home from our New Year's trip to DL and dealing with the crying issue for another 2 month! I still can't believe it took me almost 6 months to finally get the dress in her size!! It runs a little big so she'll be able to get lots of wear out of it!! I loved seeing her smile and surprise when I pulled it out of the box. I unfortunately didn't have the camera ready for her first look but you can see the joy in her face once she has it on. One thing I really like about it is it's not that scratchy material. It's actually very soft!! Thanks I think it was a great decision also! James kept asking to dance with her because she looked like a real Princess!! It was soooo cute!! But she wasn't in the mood to dance.

Thanks for the wishes for potty training! I'll hopefully go quickly once we start. I'll keep you posted. I think it may take some time but they all usually get it. Hope Lisa is still feeling better!

Yeah I do want to go but we both know there are a couple things keeping me from it right now. And it's not all bad which is the best part!!

Loved Lisa's movie night!!! I loved the plates! So much fun! I really want to do that with mine but I just have a problem finding the time to do it. Maybe I'll make a movie day right now since they are on summer break and do some fun stuff like that. Will do both Jeremy and Sarah good to keep practicing writing and cutting when we do activities. Can't wait to see what Rachel comes up with and what your surprise is!!!

Thank you I definitely think I will need all the luck and prayers I can get. We started two thursdays ago and it is hard and frustrating but it will be worth it when she gets it.

I found rewards worked really well with my oldest (if he went one day he got a sticker, if he went a week, he got a toy, 2 weeks another toy, 3 weeks, another toy and by the 4th week he got a really nice Lego set since that's what he is into). Once we started training him I want to say it took us a good month before he would go completely dry during the day and night.

My daughter basically trained in 3 days (if that). She started Preschool on her 3rd birthday and came home dry wanting to use the potty. Found out she had used the potty at school too. Then she wanted to do it herself but needed help putting her diaper back on and didn't like that so I put her in pull ups for a week (I should have just went to panties because she never wet them!!) She was sooo easy I basically didn't have to do anything to train her. She saw all the other kids going and I think she basically thought I want to do that and she did. Haven't had a single accident with her (expect for once at DL but that was Daddies fault, he didn't listen to her when she said she had to potty).

Have any questions we're all here to help. We did the timer thing with my oldest too. Where I'd set a timer for every 10 mins and then extend it 10 mins as I learned how long he could hold it for. Also made him go potty after every meal and before and after bed. Hope I'm not giving to much info but I found it frustrating to but tried to stay calm about it all because I found if I stressed about it he'd hide when it was time to go. Good luck!

Thanks! Sofia has become a favorite in our house lately and this was her reward for no more crying at school.

We do countdown dinners too. There is a thread on the DIS that is dedicated to themed dinners. There are some great ideas. So much fun. I will see if I can find the link.
Oh please do share any ideas and the link. I would love to know some of the dinners you have done as a family, pictures would also be welcome. :goodvibes And please post the link, I am certain I am not the only one who would be inspired. :thumbsup2
Fun idea for dinner! I was hoping we would do some countdown stuff around here - we're staying with our son right now, but they have been working on getting approved for a foster to adopt program, so it has taken all of their time and energy, and mom doesn't cooperate with grandma's (mine) ideas too well. ;) She did make a countdown calendar, and then no one was using it. The kids are still excited, though!
We really enjoyed it Tammie, I could see how this could get addicting and expensive. I saw some ideas for Thursday and HOPE I get a chance to get it all together, it is a short week for the docs, so everything gets crammed in to 4 days instead of 5. Tomorrow is my tough day, David needs an all day medical test (7 AM until around 5 PM) and my parents both have MD appts, as does Lisa. I will take David, then Christian will come and stay with mim a bit later in the AM and the girls and I will go pick up my parents and make the rounds.That is exciting about the adopting, Pete and I had planned to foster infants between the bridge from biological to adoptive parents (It would have only been about a three week commitment each time); we knew Lisa was going to be our last baby...but God had other plans for us. I am sure it is a tough when you want to do something different in the household...maybe she would let you cook diner one night and you could just do it! Thankfully your trip is so close and you can get our Disney fix in! :woohoo::woohoo:

What a great movie night! Lisa did a fantastic job planning. You'd never know elements were missing due to time constraints. Love the plates, the menu, the visor, etc. Looking forward to seeing each week's movie night.
It was a lot of fun and it allowed Lisa to do a little creative thinking and planning, She loves to cook! I think the hardest part with me not being here was the guys kept forgetting she wanted to cook/prepare the food as well. Christian was working on the celery logs and as soon as he saw me he realized Lisa could do the ants, which she loved, she made a pattern for each of them, lol. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the raisins on the celery, I actually had more of that and let Lisa have most of my meat (a win win for both of us). The great thing about the plates was I had them in my stash from a clearance bin a while back. This is going to be a fun time, that is certain. I STILL can't believe we are going back. :goodvibes
Judy,
I can't seem to find your TR, is it gone?
Hi Erin, I asked the moderator to remove it for the wellbeing of my family. I appreciate those of you who were there and truly cared for my family, as well as the other folks who posted. Thank you

I will be back for more responses, I have had more problems with my computer connection and it went out last night while I was trying to post a bit. I am out of time this morning; however, that is minuscule. There are real problems in the world, such as the tragedy of the 19 firefighters who died in Arizona. Please pray for their families and the safety of all caught in these horrible fires.

LOVE family movie nights as part of a countdown!! Great job with Jungle Book Lisa! :cool1: Can't wait to see what Rachel has planned! When my kids were all younger we did a Friday night movie night every single Friday night complete with a family sleepover in the living room. My youngest loved The Incredibles and when it came out on DVD, we watched that darned thing every Friday night for a MONTH!!! So much fun and so many great memories! :goodvibes
I love the movie sleepover idea, although I don't think it would work for us now, we are too big, lol. You know firsthand how much fun it is to give the children the reigns and let them do the planning, they always come up with such out of the box creative ways to do things that you will remember/talk about for years. It is wonderful memories that are important, it shapes who they are as people. I am incredibly blessed to have so many great times with my children. I am also excited to see what Rachel has planned, she hasn't decided on her movie yet.
What a great idea! Love Lisa's menu.

Jill in CO
I was proud of her Jill, once she started thinking about the story she was on a roll.

Deborah, I'm so glad you are able to have your Dad nearby now. That must take a huge weight off your mind.

What a fun idea for Lisa's movie night! I look forward to seeing your future ones. I am sure your kids had a blast and now the ideas will be flowing to see what else they can come up with!

We dropped our 2 big kids off at camp yesterday. They were so excited, in spite of the pouring rain. Actually, the rain is such a blessing. It will definitely help with the wildfires. In fact, Benjamin's group will be able to have their campfire this week because of the rain - it was cancelled up until now due to fire bans. He is in teepee camp and LOVES it, even in the wet weather! Elisabeth is in a cabin down the hill and was stoked to get a top bunk (the last one) when we checked in yesterday. She gave us a quick hug and kiss and ran off to find "someone who will be my new friend" without a look back! The house seems so quiet with just one child in it. In fact, Ezra is still asleep (unheard of) since the kids aren't here to wake him up! We are looking forward to 4th of July here. We have a friend who owns a vintage fire truck and he invited us to ride on it for the parade on Thursday. I know Ezra is going to love that....what little boy doesn't adore fire trucks? David is planning to take a couple days off this week, so we will do some things with just Ezra and have a low-key week just the 3 of us.

Prayers for all who have requested them. I think of you all several times a day and pray as you are brought to mind.

Morning Judy, just now getting a chance to pop back in and catch up. Our internet was out all weekend and I came up with the wonderful idea of painting every single wall in our house that's not a log wall. Yeah, ask me if I'm tired yet. :crazy2:

I've always wanted to do the Disney movie night countdown but never get around to it for some reason. Lisa came up with excellent ideas for the food choices. The ants on logs were my favorite.

I am going to try to sign in more. Glad Lisa is better.
Praying.
Your movie night looked like so much fun. Hope the next goes well as well.
I have a prayer request for everyone. I do not remember if I asked for prayer or not for my close friends mom who I have known forever in may when she was in the hospital for a drug reaction where she was in ICU. I am asking for prayers for her mom and the family again. She is back in the hospital as of last night again. Please please pray for them.
Rachel you sign in as much a you can, I have missed you but FULLY understand your family MUST come first! :hug:

I do hope the potty training is over quickly , I agree, use what ever means necessary. ONe thing I took comfort from was that i KNEW they wouldn't go to college in diapers! (Or even kindergarten). My biggest piece of advice is to not get in a power struggle you will lose.

I am praying fervently for your friend, her mom and their family! :hug::hug: Please keep us posted.

I got notice you tried to PM, my box has been stuffed, forgive me. I am trying to keep it cleaned out.

Loved the pictures of Lisa's movie night meal. She did a great job. :lovestruc
Thank you Christi, it is such a pleasure to see you around more. Praying you are feeling better. LIsa had such a great time with movie night, that has been a topic among the children...what to do!
Judy, what is the name of that resort you stayed at. We are considering an offsite resort through Veteran's Holiday's to save money this time and there are a lot of RCI property's that come available. It's hard to sort through them all.

Love the movie night thing. I've been debating doing the same thing and I love the idea of letting the kids plan them. Lisa did a great job on hers.
Krystal, I PM'd you the resort name. I hope you all can find a great deal on a place to stay!

I think your children would LOVE the movie night theme, they are so much like mine. Lisa is so proud her theme was a huge hit with everyone, it was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to doing more.

How IS your family doing?? Keeping you in my prayers. :hug:

I love the movie night fun. The food looks yummy.
It WAS fun and the food was delicious. I think I will have some ants on a log! :rotfl2:
I know! 6 months ago we were just home from our New Year's trip to DL and dealing with the crying issue for another 2 month! I still can't believe it took me almost 6 months to finally get the dress in her size!! It runs a little big so she'll be able to get lots of wear out of it!! I loved seeing her smile and surprise when I pulled it out of the box. I unfortunately didn't have the camera ready for her first look but you can see the joy in her face once she has it on. One thing I really like about it is it's not that scratchy material. It's actually very soft!! Thanks I think it was a great decision also! James kept asking to dance with her because she looked like a real Princess!! It was soooo cute!! But she wasn't in the mood to dance.
Thanks for the wishes for potty training! I'll hopefully go quickly once we start. I'll keep you posted. I think it may take some time but they all usually get it. Hope Lisa is still feeling better!
Yeah I do want to go but we both know there are a couple things keeping me from it right now. And it's not all bad which is the best part!!
Loved Lisa's movie night!!! I loved the plates! So much fun! I really want to do that with mine but I just have a problem finding the time to do it. Maybe I'll make a movie day right now since they are on summer break and do some fun stuff like that. Will do both Jeremy and Sarah good to keep practicing writing and cutting when we do activities. Can't wait to see what Rachel comes up with and what your surprise is!!!
I found rewards worked really well with my oldest (if he went one day he got a sticker, if he went a week, he got a toy, 2 weeks another toy, 3 weeks, another toy and by the 4th week he got a really nice Lego set since that's what he is into). Once we started training him I want to say it took us a good month before he would go completely dry during the day and night.
My daughter basically trained in 3 days (if that). She started Preschool on her 3rd birthday and came home dry wanting to use the potty. Found out she had used the potty at school too. Then she wanted to do it herself but needed help putting her diaper back on and didn't like that so I put her in pull ups for a week (I should have just went to panties because she never wet them!!) She was sooo easy I basically didn't have to do anything to train her. She saw all the other kids going and I think she basically thought I want to do that and she did. Haven't had a single accident with her (expect for once at DL but that was Daddies fault, he didn't listen to her when she said she had to potty).
Have any questions we're all here to help. We did the timer thing with my oldest too. Where I'd set a timer for every 10 mins and then extend it 10 mins as I learned how long he could hold it for. Also made him go potty after every meal and before and after bed. Hope I'm not giving to much info but I found it frustrating to but tried to stay calm about it all because I found if I stressed about it he'd hide when it was time to go. Good luck!

Thanks! Sofia has become a favorite in our house lately and this was her reward for no more crying at school.
I love how God made sure the dress was available just when you needed it. Sarah will get lots of use from the dress and look beautiful as she does it. I am glad it is soft, Lisa's Rapunzel dress is soft. I am wondering what costume(s) she will decide she will bring on this trip. I HONESTLY still can't believe it! So much has happened the past week and I feel free of a weight that has been around my neck...just amazing how life changes so quickly. So cute that James wanted her to dance. :goodvibes

Potty training...I am so glad it is done and I KNOW that Rachel will survive! OU have great ideas for her. I agree, staying calm and letting the child feel in control is key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!