No Work and All Play – Disney on the Company’s Dime! (8/1 There and Back Again)

Dole Whip Float definitely makes things so smoother. ;)

Ah, then you definitely a trip to Disneyland to see the original.
I can't wait to take the kids so they can see it!

Dole Whips can cure almost anything!

The floats are only available at Aloha Isle in Adventureland.
The Poly has the Dole Whips without the pineapple juice.

As for the Tiki Room, we just saw Princess and the Frog tonite.
Both kids loved it and a family favorite scene was towards the end with Dr. Facilier.
Without giving anything away, we thought that scene looked like the Tiki Room gone nuts!
So of course Mom and I are thinking afterwards, now that would be a good retheming of the Tiki Room!
Get rid of Zazu and Iago and do Voodoo Tikis instead!! :rotfl:

Anyway, sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of days - it's been real hectic around the house and at work.
I hope to have a new installment tomorrow though.
So bear with me...

At this time of year I can understand why things are hectic. I can be patient...well for a little while :)
Can't wait to hear more!

I found a really cool spot overlooking the bridge to Liberty Square.
There was a family there that invited me to join them and we chatted a bit.
Then the music sounded and it was Spectromagic time!!
I had a nice clear view as each of the floats crossed the bridge.
Very neat angle.

Now Mom’s favorite thing in the world was the Main Street Electrical Parade and she’s only seen Spectro once so I videotaped a lot for her.
From those, I cut out a bunch of snapshots.

The first is of the Spectromen.
I know the pic is too dark but I did kinda like how all you can see are the instruments with the electric Mickeys.
IOUG2009026a.jpg

After the grand piano with the chipmunks come the fairies from Sleeping Beauty.
IOUG2009033a.jpg

And then the pinnacle of the parade (at least in DD’s eyes) – Ariel herself singing…
IOUG2009035a.jpg

With King Triton keeping a close eye on his daughter
IOUG2009037a.jpg

From Under the Seas to the Classics, Cinderella arrives in her carriage
IOUG2009038a.jpg

And then Alice and the Mad Hatter.
This shot is interesting because I have the color version as well but the best shot of the chars is after the lights turn white.
It makes for a neat effect and really accentuates the White Rabbit and Alice’s dress
IOUG2009038b.jpg

The carousel is amazing as the figures actually circle the carousel.
I had to snap Dumbo making his way around…
IOUG2009039a.jpg

Then it was time for the villains to make their marks!
The best part of this picture is to the left.
I never noticed it before but if you look closely, along with Captain Hook and Maleficient is an animated Tink flying in the window.
It’s very similar to the animation used in the new Fairy Treasures shop where you can call Tink (more on that later).
Tink here is actually flying in and out of the windows.
I clipped this from the video so you can get a good glimpse of her
IOUG2009039b.jpg

The villains were followed by Pinocchio and Gepetto
IOUG2009039c.jpg

And the last float was Minnie and Donald
IOUG2009039d.jpg

Snow White and the Dwarves (along with Pluto and the Song of the South characters) walked behind the parade.
It was a fun stop and something I hadn’t done in some time.
The kids might like this one and we may have to try it next time around.
I just enjoyed my view, my Dole Whip, and the company of the family next to me.
All in all, a nice time.
By now it was 9:30 and I wanted to watch Wishes at 10.
But first I had to trek through the Jungle!
Come along – there’s still plenty to do before the park closes!!

I admit it, I am a parade junkie, and still remember the electrical light parades from when I was a kid. Even when Piper isn't here at Thanksgiving I'll watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Thank you for sharing all the cool parade pics!

Dole Whip Float definitely makes things so smoother. ;)
Looking forward to finally tasting one of these first-hand.

What's in it, precisely? We can always experiment with making our own. :woohoo:

As for the Tiki Room, we just saw Princess and the Frog tonite.
Both kids loved it and a family favorite scene was towards the end with Dr. Facilier.
Without giving anything away, we thought that scene looked like the Tiki Room gone nuts!
So of course Mom and I are thinking afterwards, now that would be a good retheming of the Tiki Room!

Well, as *I* heard to conversation, you thought it would be a great retheming (and I totally agree), but DW thought that it would scare the kids. (Though all three of us certainly had the same thought at the same time, as we all looked at each other when that part of the scene came on.)
popcorn::

Anyway, sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of days - it's been real hectic around the house and at work.
I hope to have a new installment tomorrow though.
So bear with me...

No excuses, man. :snooty: Now, get to work on the rest of the TR. You've got a loyal following to keep entertained, kiddo! :banana: :rotfl:

I admit it, I am a parade junkie, and still remember the electrical light parades from when I was a kid. Even when Piper isn't here at Thanksgiving I'll watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Thank you for sharing all the cool parade pics!

We love the Macy's Parade!!
And being a New Yorker (despite currently living in VA), I've actually been there!
It was a windy year and the balloons were flying all over the place!
It was great!
When the kids get a little older, we'll have to take them as well.

And then the pinnacle of the parade (at least in DD’s eyes) – Ariel herself singing…

With King Triton keeping a close eye on his daughter

I don't know if that'll be true anymore once Tiana is added into the parade. DD may *say* that they're tied when she's actually confronted with disbelief that someone could oust Ariel, but the way she lit up on Sunday :banana: :love: :hug: :cheer2: princess: when she got that Tiana doll was more than I've ever seen her with Ariel. (And that's a hard thing to do, as you know full-well.)

I don't know if that'll be true anymore once Tiana is added into the parade. DD may *say* that they're tied when she's actually confronted with disbelief that someone could oust Ariel, but the way she lit up on Sunday :banana: :love: :hug: :cheer2: princess: when she got that Tiana doll was more than I've ever seen her with Ariel. (And that's a hard thing to do, as you know full-well.)

Yeah, there may be a changing of the guard on the top of DD's princess list.
However, Tiana is still new - let it sink in a bit and then we'll see who comes out on top!
The test will be when we head back to Disney.
Will DD be desperate to go to Ariel's Grotto or meet Tiana in Liberty Square (assuming she's still there)?

Dole Whip Pineapple Soft Serve and Dole Pineapple Juice.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... :goodvibes

That would be tough. :idea: The only thing I could imagine we could do to try to make it ourselves (since I don't think I've ever seen pineapple ice cream, let alone soft serve -- unless of course Milwaukee Custard has it, hmmm...) would be to get some Dole pineapple juice and mix it in well with vanilla ice cream, and then use that as your soft serve.

Hmm...

That would be tough. :idea: The only thing I could imagine we could do to try to make it ourselves (since I don't think I've ever seen pineapple ice cream, let alone soft serve -- unless of course Milwaukee Custard has it, hmmm...) would be to get some Dole pineapple juice and mix it in well with vanilla ice cream, and then use that as your soft serve.

Hmm...

Not even close. You'll have to experience it for yourself before you truly understand grasshopper...
If everyone else hasn't figured it out yet, we're converting boxmaster to our Disney cult.
He'll be heading to the World with us in Jan 2011 so we have a year to prepare him.
He's been to Disney before - but never with a DIS fanatic!
He shall learn the ways of the Mouse.

If everyone else hasn't figured it out yet, we're converting boxmaster to our Disney cult.
He'll be heading to the World with us in Jan 2011 so we have a year to prepare him.
He's been to Disney before - but never with a DIS fanatic!
He shall learn the ways of the Mouse.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned previously, but Mike has already done enough working on me so that I'm already buying a Disneyfied wardrobe for the trip. :laundy: I already had two shirts beforehand (Tower of Terror and an old Figment/Epcot t-shirt), with a third my mom jst got me on her trip down last month, and just got two more online. :laughing: Since he and DW have insisted that I have two or even three shirts per day to coordinate with the rest of the family, it's a good thing there's time. :goodvibes Looking forward to seeing the pix of the packed suitcases. I wonder, are they packed grouped by day in each section of the bag? :laughing:

I'm somewhat dreading the scheduling indoctrination, though, :scared1: memorizing the parks and secret paths and special events times... :eek:

Bizarre that we were both on simultaneously tonight. That's a rarity. Back to the TR popcorn:: and everyone else, too. :surfweb:

I for one LOVE where this "indoctrination thing" is going!! Yo' the man Capell Dude!!

I've not ever seen Specto, but will catch it at least twice in Sept. :banana:

So, Lib Squ. is an ok place to catch it??

I was thinking on the day we go, I'd stake out a spot near Pecos Bills (pick up food there first) and watch from there. If we got there at 8:15, picked up the CS, and were 'settled' by 8:35 is that enough time?? or no?

I love the parade pics! They remind me we haven't seen Spectromagic in awhile and need to see it again next year!

I for one LOVE where this "indoctrination thing" is going!! Yo' the man Capell Dude!!

I've not ever seen Specto, but will catch it at least twice in Sept. :banana:

So, Lib Squ. is an ok place to catch it??

I was thinking on the day we go, I'd stake out a spot near Pecos Bills (pick up food there first) and watch from there. If we got there at 8:15, picked up the CS, and were 'settled' by 8:35 is that enough time?? or no?

I don't think I was quite in Liberty Square - it was kinda the outer rim of the hub.
In between the bridge from the hub to Adventureland and the bridge from the hub to Liberty Sq, there is a little area.
From there you get a nice viewing.
I imagine Frontierland would also be a good spot as Spectro heads there next.
So you could grab your food and stake out a place along the parade route in Frontierland.

I love the parade pics! They remind me we haven't seen Spectromagic in awhile and need to see it again next year!

Yeah, that was the idea.
I hadn't seen it in quite some time myself.
And the kids have NEVER seen it so we'll have to make time for it Jan '11.

Nice Spectro pictures ! I never noticed that Tinkerbell before either and we watch Spectro every time we go since it's my favorite parade ! lol Can't wait to see you Wishes pictures , I have never seen Wishes before !

Nice Spectro pictures ! I never noticed that Tinkerbell before either and we watch Spectro every time we go since it's my favorite parade ! lol Can't wait to see you Wishes pictures , I have never seen Wishes before !

Definitely look for Tink - I will concentrate more on that float next time.
I just noticed it when I was re-watching my video!!
As for Wishes, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed...

I quickly headed towards the Jungle Cruise and got out my Fastpass to bypass the line
JungleCruiseFastPass.jpg

However, there was no line so the CM directed me right in.
I had heard that this ride is a whole new experience at night and it definitely is!!
I never realized how much fun it is!
It’s extremely dark on the water.
Fog and mist surround the boats.
Flashlights and spotlights highlight the visuals that the tour guide points out.
But you basically can't see anything else.
The cave with the monkeys is pitch black.
It’s almost a spooky ride but it’s really cool.
I decided to enjoy this one and not take any pictures (I didn’t think they’d come out anyway).
However, I definitely will be taking the kids back here next time at night.
It’s worth the experience!!

I headed back through Adventureland and onto Frontierland via the pathway in Agrabah.
I was in search of some food as I headed back through Liberty Square.
I decided to grab some nuggets at Pinocchio’s Village Haus and then wanted to try Wishes! from the Fantasyland side.
I had heard that back here presents an interesting angle for the fireworks.
I got a spot right at the rope that was set up between the carousel and Snow White’s Scary Adventures.

I had decided to mostly just watch as opposed to take pictures as I was trying to eat and just wanted to relax and enjoy.
Too many times I watch the fireworks through the “viewfinder” rather than in the sky.
First off, the nuggets were horrible and I couldn’t eat them.
I gave up and threw them out after trying two and then nibbling on some French fries.

The viewing location was interesting as you have to look up higher here and it can strain your neck.
Also, the white shots across the castle basically fly over your head.
The rest of the fireworks were great as usual and it was an interesting touch to have them shoot “over the carousel.”
The most interesting part was that a CM appeared next to me with a headset.
I heard an object bounce nearby and the CM promptly chased it down and radio’ed it in.
She was literally collecting empty shells.
It seemed as though she was counting them which makes sense – I imagine they know exactly how many would fall in this area.
It was very odd.
I tried to talk to her a bit but she was obviously busy and ran off when some bouncing could be heard in the distance.
Never thought that it would actually be “raining fireworks” on you but if you find the right spot behind the castle, it will!

Wishes ended and the crowd began to clear but I was already on the move.
As soon as the rope was dropped that kept us in our “viewing area”, I walked right onto Snow White’s Scary Adventures.
I hadn’t been on this in quite some time since it’s usually crowded and the kids have never been.
So I wanted to see just how scary it would be for the kids.
It started off innocently enough as Snow White is in the courtyard with the Evil Queen looking on.
IOUG2009040a.jpg

And the Magic Mirror has some neat animation which I guess could be a little scary but still ok…
IOUG2009041a.jpg

It was after that when all bets are off.
An Enchanted Forest of dark trees which try to grab you,
An Evil Queen which turns into a witch as you round the bend,
And then she tries to drop a boulder on you! :scared1:

Disney isn’t kidding - these are some Scary Adventures and I would not recommend the ride to any small children.
I was also surprised at the short length of the ride.
I know most of the dark rides are short but Peter Pan and Pooh seem much longer than this one.
Maybe it’s just me.

Anyway, it was about 10:30 now, the park closed at 11 and my shuttle left soon after.
I figured I could still slip a couple of attractions in before closing.
Anyone up for a quick night cap?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter