No towel animals for us

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by torinsmom, Apr 2, 2006.

1. torinsmom

torinsmom <font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>

We got back on Friday from 5 nights at Pop, and we didn't even get one towel animal! I know its not guaranteed, but it was our (DS11 and me) first time staying on-site, so we were really hoping we would get one. It was just me and him and we left a $5 tip each day in a cute little envelope. I cleaned up any messes, so the mousekeeper had only to pull up the bedding and clean the floor and bathroom(which I had also wiped down) I was just really sad, especially the last day we came back to our room. In our building, there were none in the windows, but in the next section, almost everyone had 1-2 sitting there. Is it just more common in some sections that others? Because next time I will request a section if that makes it more probable that we would get a towel animal.

Marsha

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Allison

Allison DIS Veteran

The cleaning person's job is to clean the room and move onto the next. As long as they do their job correctly, nothing else should be expected.

There is no section to request to increase your chances of getting a towel animal. It just depends on the person cleaning that day and what they choose to do.

4. mickey@dvc

mickey@dvc Ciao.

I'm so sorry, really. That happened to us too, but one day I left a little note asking if the mousekeeper could leave a couple of towel animals for the kids. When we came back, they had left 4 towel animals. So on your next onsite trip, make sure to just ask if you really want some. Thats my advice! :)

5. jtovey56

jtovey56 Mouseketeer

It all a matter of who you get for Houisekeeping. We've been three times as a family and did all that you said, cleaned up, tip in cute disney envelope, even left a buddy or two behind thinking they might get company, and we've NEVER gotten a single towel animal.

6. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

It probably depends on if the housekeeper knows how to do it and if she has time. I don't think there's a "towel animal" section, it's just luck of the draw. I've stayed onsite many many times and only recall towel animals a couple times. Sorry you were disappointed, but I would not expect to get them.

7. LindsayDunn228

LindsayDunn228 <font color=teal>Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???<

I agree. I got a few towel animals on my last trip. I was pleasantly suprised, but it wasn't THAT big of a deal. As long as mousekeeping cleans the room, that's all I care about.

8. lovmy2girls

lovmy2girls DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>I tell ya, if yo

We have stayed at the CSR and got towel animals, and when in staying at the Poly, got towel animals in the Tahiti longhouse, never in Fiji first floor. I think it is the just the mosekeeper, either she does or doesn't. Oh, and I always leave a generous tip, and it didn't matter. Its just up to the mousekeeper :sad2: they have a tough job.

I tell ya what I did notice. I forgot a couple of times my tip and when I returned, no EXTRA towels and washcloths. When I returned mid day for a nap, I would always hunt her down and hand her the envelope. But when I left the tip in the morning before we left, always lots of extra towels.

9. formernyer

formernyer DIS Veteran

I stayed at ASSp this past week. We only had three nights at the hotel. When I checked in there were no animals there, so the next morning I left a note when my kids weren't looking. I asked that she please leave a couple of extra towels and shampoos because we didn't have enough. Then I let her know that I was traveling with two kids and it would totally make their day if she could leave a towel animal for them. I also made sure I added a comment about how I'd be sure to leave her a nice tip. When we got back to the room that night I had TEN shampoos, TEN of each kind of soap, TEN towels, a teddy bear towel animal, and an octopus towel animal. Both of the animals came complete with eyes, nose, mouth, decorations, and even mickey mouse ears. The other towels in the room were shaped into seashells. My kids were AMAZED at the animals...they were sooooooooooo excited when they saw them.

A few rooms down from me I saw a basket made of hand towels on display in the window. Inside the basket was some sort of animal, although I'm not sure what it was. The basket looked pretty cool. I don't know if that person asked for the animals or if the Mousekeeper just did them on her own.

Once we're talking about towel animals I have a question...

Are we expected to leave them in the room or is it acceptable to bring them home? We took ours but I wasn't sure if I was doing the wrong thing.

10. torinsmom

torinsmom <font color=red>I have someone coming to scoop<br>

Oh, I definitely know you shouldn't expect it, and I kept leaving the tip, but my son is old enough to have heard about the towel animals, so we were both hoping. Even though I knew it probably wouldn't happen, I still had that dream. I never thought of leaving a note; I guess I thought that would be tacky. Our mousekeeper did clean the room well, and kept replacing the Mickey soap and shampoo that I was stashing in my bag to take home. I wish they SOLD the darn towel animals, and I would have gladly bought one, LOL.

Marsha

11. DVC Sadie

DVC Sadie <font color=royalblue>Those mashed taters are soun

We receive towel animals a lot and would not take any of them. We don;t take regular towels or washcloths either. ;)

12. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

There was a long nasty thread on that subject awhile ago, you don't want to go there. Some said taking the towel animals is the same as stealing towels. Others felt they were a gift which you were free to take, which I think the hotel told them.

13. cobbler

cobbler <br><font color=blue>Tag #1: (Under Construction:

That is part of the Disney magic. It's always a nice surpise to get one but not a huge deal if you don't. In all our trips I think we have received a towel animal once.

14. formernyer

formernyer DIS Veteran

I don't take regular washcloths either, but this is a little different.

I don't care who wants to flame me...I know already that most of the people on this board wear halos.

If anyone wants to flame me some more, I'll give you the ammunition...We stayed at ASSp, but we made a trip to POP on the day we checked out and filled the refillable mug there!!! I guess I just got lucky this trip, because nobody hauled me off to jail.

15. WAHMto5

WAHMto5 DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear that. Even though they are not expected, they are nice. We stayed in the FW Cabins and had new ones everyday all over the cabin! The kids really looked foward to coming back afer a day int he parks to see what was left! They are a neat addition.

16. lovmy2girls

lovmy2girls DIS Veteran<br><font color=purple>I tell ya, if yo

I don't know how it happend but our Monkey towel animal wanted to come home with us, he jumped in our suitcase when we were not looking! :lmao: He's been hanging around on our laundry room door knob ever since!

17. ADisneygirl

ADisneygirl <font color=purple>My birth certificate is really

We've been to WDW many times and have only had towel animals left a handful of times at different resorts. I would guess maybe 10% of my visits. The only place you are going to get a towel animal every single night is on the DCL. We've been on that twice now and each night every passengers room gets a big one left. We were always impressed, but the service and attention to detail is excellent aboard the Disney ships.

Sorry your son was disappointed, but next time maybe mention that only a few mousekeepers know how or care to make them. Then he won't expect them.

18. treehugger

treehugger Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte

My sister's children were so look forward to getting towel animals for their upcoming trip that it was stressing her out. She tried to explain to them that the mousekeepers are very hard working people and there was a possibility that they would not get any. They did understand. So, instead of leaving it to chance I recommended this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0740755633/ref=sr_11_1/102-6277530-4343361?_encoding=UTF8

After some pratice (without letting the kids see), my sister now is a pro! Nothing like making your own magic!

19. jann1033

jann1033 <font color=darkcoral>Right now I'm an inch of nat

we did get a kind of puny towel animal/ soap dish when we stayed at pop but that's the only one we got there and not really even sure it counts cause we couldn't figure out what it was:) we got one animal ( elephant that i promptly dropped and couldn't get back together so hubby never saw it undamaged) and some cute little clam shell soap dishes other times but like some one said it's more often we don't get them than get them. it just depends on who you get. we left tips, thank you notes and got nothing lots of other times :)

that is the problem with boards like this...we start to "expect" the " unexpected"..oh btw, my towel animals hung around the room til we left then returned to the big Disney old towel animal recycle place- where ever that is :)

20. petrymom

petrymom DIS Veteran

I am sorry that you didn't get any towel animals.

On our first trip to disney, we knew about the towel animals, but I completely spaced one out until I pulled it apart and suddenly realized what it had been!!!!!

We stayed a POR and the mousekeeper that we had was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. We were very lucky. DD5 (at the time)brought an animal to sleep with from home and also wond two stuffed animals playing a game at AK. We would come home to her stuffed animal waiting for us in the window or propped specially on the bed.

On our last night there, they were all watching TV. I walked into the room and the TV was on. I suddenly thought "oh no, did I forget to turn off the TV?" Then I realized the Mousekeeper did it!!!!! The last morning our mousekeeper came to kclean while we were still there. I couldn't say thank you enough to her. It made our trip extra special.

I hope you have better luck next time you go!!!!

21. DisFlan

DisFlan DIS Veteran

Disney keeps all kinds of data and info on guests. I wouldn't want to be listed as "Prefers king bed, water view and steals towel animals."

DisFlan