No solicitors sign - does anyone have one?

DVCBELLE

Princess at Heart
I know times are tough and people are trying to market any way they know how but I have been BOMBARDED by door to door soliciting lately and I have had ENOUGH!!

In the past few weeks I have had two guys selling magazines - both claiming it was to go on a trip for college - a communication class and they had to earn points and they got those points when I ordered magazines. When I told them my kids sell magazines and no thank you - they got belligerent and one told me that I could send them to his mom and she would buy from them in return. Yea - I am believing that :rolleyes:

We have had several political solicitations (which I don't mind in campaign season but right now is a bit ridiculous), someone selling windows, lawn care, rounds of golf, a financial service guy and some guys walking around right now but I got home once they had passed my house - I was surprised they didn't come back.

What I don't mind but hardly ever get are Girl Scouts, the high school band, a soccer team, etc.

So anyway - I would like to put a sign on our door to stop the people from ringing my doorbell. But I also want to make sure that the kids in the neighborhood know that they are still welcome to knock on our door. OH - and if some of them are ambitious enough to ring my doorbell and ask if they can shovel my driveway or rake my leaves then I definitely want them to ask!!

But the professional door to door stuff has got to stop. Does anyone have a sign that works or any ideas!?!?

Thanks!!

I started asking those going door to door where they live. The first time I asked some guys selling magazines, they said Indianapolis (and I live in central IL). If they don't live on my block, I don't buy from them.

We just printed out a "no soliciting" sign from our computer and hung it up. Just be aware that some door to door people apparently can't read, because they still ring our doorbell :)

I hate that too! Seems like they always come when my boys are napping. I swear I'm going to print up a sign that says "children napping, you wake them, you stay to help put them back to sleep!"

We had a guy come around our neighborhood selling windows. DH said we really did need them and agreed to talk to the guy. He took our information and said that a 'manager' would be calling us within 30 mins. He proceeded to tell us how we needed to make sure we would both be home for the appointment that he would get in trouble if he set up the appointment and no one was here. We got the phone call from the so-called manager who used the same line on us. Guess HIS manager would be mad if we weren't home too! So they were supposed to be here the next day at 6pm. 6 came, then 6:30, then 7...no window guys! They stood us up!!!! To top that, they have called multiple times a day everyday since then!!! We won't answer the phone.

there seem to be no soliciting posts popping up everywhere over the past few weeks! We were being bombarded with them as well, so what I did was print off a sign, put it in a sheet protector and taped it to the front of my door. It basically states no soliciting, no trespassing, and lists everything included, like political, religious, food, sales, etc. so far, we've been solicitor free for the past few weeks, knock on wood!

Here is my answer to the various people that come to my door -

When I hear the bell, I look out the window. If I don't know who the person is, I don't answer the door.

Works like a charm! ;)

I also have a homemade sign on my door, because it was just out of control in the neighborhood we recently moved to. My sign says "no soliciting" at the top and then I have something like, "We do not make purchases, change our political opinions, or switch religions for anyone who comes to the door, so please save both of us time and energy and move on. Thank you and have a good day."

When my daughter is napping I put out a door hanger my mother-in-law gave me that says "child sleeping" on it.

It is a rare individual who rings the bell or knocks anyway, and when I do answer for the people who do, I like to have a friendly conversation with them about why they ignored the sign and whether they thought I was kidding about it just being a waste of both of our time. Most of them profess not to have seen the sign (eye level, written partially in red ink, on paper whose width is nearly half the width of the front door, so I always wonder exactly how blind they are to have not seen it.)

After the first part of the conversation, I like to chit-chat to them for several minutes (literally, just chit chat...about the weather or the type of shoes they're wearing or whether they think the Broncos have a chance next season, whatever inane thing I can think of to say) and waste as much of their time as I can. Usually they end up trying valiantly to end the conversation with me as they walk backwards down my walk. One of them nearly backed right down the stairs and fell he wanted to go so badly, but I guess he felt bad just turning and leaving. I'm very friendly as I do all this, even though I think I'd be very justified to be angry at my wishes being ignored.

So some of the solicitors might come once...but I betcha they won't come a second time. ;)

No paper sign here, I had an engraved one made at the local sports shop. It is attached directly above my doorbell.

Apparently, there are lots of people who can not read this days. Sorry, but if I don't know you and you come knocking at my door with any pamphlet...that's solicitation to me.

Perhaps I'll paste something over the doorbell:)

We actually had a neighbor come to the door with his 2 small children the other day. His THREE year old was selling some frozen pizza kits out of a catalog as a fundraiser for his PRESCHOOL. :eek:

I'm sorry but if I pay a weekly fee for my child to go to a private "for profit" preschool like they do then there is no way I am going door to door selling stuff for them. How insane is that?

I declined and told them that my 2 daughters would be selling the same type of stuff next month when their public schools started and I would have to buy from my own kids.

When a solicitor comes to the door I try to quickly cut off their spiel and tell them we aren't interested. The ones we get the most want to sell us windows and I just tell them we are military and moving in a few months so that we aren't going to be making any big purchases for a house we are about to sell. That usually works.

The biggest problem in my neighborhood are MENUS!

Everyday, when I get home, I have to pick take-out menus out of the cracks in my screen door, from under my doorhandle, under my door, in between my front door and screen door, out of my mailbox, even between my GUTTER PIPE and the wall! They are everywhere!

I keep saying I'm going to make a sign that says WE ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOUR FOOD, STOP LEAVING YOUR MENUS!

but I forget once I walk in the door and put on my PJs :lmao:

The biggest problem in my neighborhood are MENUS!

Everyday, when I get home, I have to pick take-out menus out of the cracks in my screen door, from under my doorhandle, under my door, in between my front door and screen door, out of my mailbox, even between my GUTTER PIPE and the wall! They are everywhere!

I keep saying I'm going to make a sign that says WE ARE NOT GOING TO EAT YOUR FOOD, STOP LEAVING YOUR MENUS!

but I forget once I walk in the door and put on my PJs :lmao:

ohhh that bug me too! my mom wound up calling the police one nights about 8 or 9 years ago when they went door to door trying to hand them to you. When my mom told him she was not interested the guy tried stuffing it into the door as my mom was shutting it but instead of making it in the door it dropped to the ground. With the storm door shut he proceeded to open the screen door and jam it in there. And just stand there. My mom was home alone and so freaked out she called the police. They wound up finding him a few doors down and made him clean up all of the flyers he left in not just doors but in mailboxes as well.

Our city has a Do Not Disturb registry for solicitors, etc. unless it is for schools or that type of thing. We are on it and have a sign on our door but they still bug us. They also have to have a permit from the city and most of them when I tell them that, they turn around and walk away.

We've everything from energy marketors to sales people to religious groups and no one has EVER knocked!!

ohhh that bug me too! my mom wound up calling the police one nights about 8 or 9 years ago when they went door to door trying to hand them to you. When my mom told him she was not interested the guy tried stuffing it into the door as my mom was shutting it but instead of making it in the door it dropped to the ground. With the storm door shut he proceeded to open the screen door and jam it in there. And just stand there. My mom was home alone and so freaked out she called the police. They wound up finding him a few doors down and made him clean up all of the flyers he left in not just doors but in mailboxes as well.

ughhhhhh that's so crazy

it's so common in my neighborhood, I used to not mind, because, every once in a while I'd get one from the 1 Chinese place and the 2 Pizza shops I frequent, but now it's like everyone owns a Pizza place! It's getting crazy!

Two weeks ago I had two men come to my door asking what security company we use. I told them I didn't give out that information, but would take a brochure. They say they have nothing I can keep, but show me a printed out diagram of a generic security system.

I immediatley shut the door on them. Two nights ago I'm eating dinner and the door rings. My husband goes to the door and once again, two men ask who is monitoring our security system. My husband begins to explain we have a security system, but are not currently being monitored. I can't believe it and call out to my husband to tell them we aren't interested. He just stands there, listening to the two guys.

I had to get up and shut the door myself! My husband thinks I was being rude and I think I was just being cautious. (I don't know if they were the same two men)

Who would go around sellilng systems or monitoring and not even have a business card?

Two weeks ago I had two men come to my door asking what security company we use. I told them I didn't give out that information, but would take a brochure. They say they have nothing I can keep, but show me a printed out diagram of a generic security system.

I immediatley shut the door on them. Two nights ago I'm eating dinner and the door rings. My husband goes to the door and once again, two men ask who is monitoring our security system. My husband begins to explain we have a security system, but are not currently being monitored. I can't believe it and call out to my husband to tell them we aren't interested. He just stands there, listening to the two guys.

I had to get up and shut the door myself! My husband thinks I was being rude and I think I was just being cautious. (I don't know if they were the same two men)

Who would go around sellilng systems or monitoring and not even have a business card?

The scarier thing is they now know your alarm system isn't a monitored alarm system!

When I hear the bell, I look out the window. If I don't know who the person is, I don't answer the door.

Works like a charm! ;)

Yeah, except that they've rung the doorbell two times and woken the napping kids!

I had one...thanks for reminding me I need to make a new one....it really worked. I printed it and hung in a picture frame above doorbell.

It just simply said 'No Solicition Please' Thank you. And frankly I'm ok if it keeps away the kids I don't know....man the neighbor kids will break you. LOL.

There were many times that I would catch someone walking away from the house, say 'May I help you'. and they would respond 'I saw the sign.' Woo Hoo!!

:thumbsup2

Works like a charm! ;)

That's what I do, plus I have an 80 lb akita that will be at the door growling like mad trying to get out to them. He usually discourages anyone from trying to ring the bell a second time.:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!