No Show Today 09/15/15

Not sure about people giving DU access to their MDE accounts so they can book ADRs for you. I would never do that. I like to make my own ADRs.

There have been a number of people on the restaurants boards who have reported missing out on ADRs even though they were coordinating with someone who was cancelling it at the same time. That's what leads me to believe there are bots being used - if not by Dis Dining Agent, then by a similar site. The whole thing is getting totally out of hand. I'm glad we just returned from our visit a couple of weeks ago and haven't yet nailed down when our next one will be. Hopefully there will be lots of changes to the ADR system by the time we do finalize plans to return.

I don't see this ever happening because it would be viewed as a step back, but why not go back to the old method of having to actually call to make the reservations and speak with a human.

When the ADR system launched it seemed like it was going to be great, you would have the ability to do it all on your own; if you wanted to just doing some checking it was going to be quick and easy no more waiting on hold, no more phone calls.

But the last few trips it has become so much time and effort and planning to try to score the dining reservations that I feel its actually become more work than the old method of picking up the phone and talking to a live person.

Human interaction would end about 90% of this problem.

I don't see this ever happening because it would be viewed as a step back, but why not go back to the old method of having to actually call to make the reservations and speak with a human.

When the ADR system launched it seemed like it was going to be great, you would have the ability to do it all on your own; if you wanted to just doing some checking it was going to be quick and easy no more waiting on hold, no more phone calls.

But the last few trips it has become so much time and effort and planning to try to score the dining reservations that I feel its actually become more work than the old method of picking up the phone and talking to a live person.

Possibly.

If I were making the decisions, I would go very radical with the changes to the system. One other thing I would do, is require a nominal, non-refundable, "deposit" for each reservation made. Let's say it's $10. You'd get charged that "deposit" upfront, but it would go toward the price of the meal as long as you follow through and show up for the reservation. If you're on the dining plan and not paying for the meal at that time - and since you need to have a MYW package to get the plan, this means you are staying at WDW resort - when you attend that meal, your "deposit" will cover any incidental costs (alcoholic beverages, appetizers, etc.). If you don't have any of those costs, the "deposit" becomes a resort credit. If you cancel the reservation (for whatever reason), you lose the $10. If you want to swap it, you have to do so over the phone to avoid losing it. This way...people won't be so quick to make reservations until they are absolutely sure that is the meal they want to attend.

There's no way disney would do this.
They'd have to hire more CMs to answer the phones, so that's wages and all employment on-costs, insurance etc. Plus somewhere to put them.
Then, what about international guests who it would cost an arm and a leg to have to call to make ADR's? (I called from Australia to Bali, Indonesia for approximately 3 minutes and it cost me $5.80 last month. Fancy sitting on hold waiting for someone to be available then spending 20+ minutes to make ADRs for say a week trip.
Yeah, sorry, won't happen

A ladder gave way and he feel and broke both wrists :-( how horrible.
But it could have been so much worse (my sister works as a physiotherapist specializing in people with brain injuries, it's sad how some people do day to day things and have terrible, horrifying outcomes), glad he's mostly ok! Though, not being able to use chopsticks must be killing him
Poor Corey? I say poor Julie! LOL! Get well soon, Corey!

A ladder gave way and he feel and broke both wrists :-( how horrible.
But it could have been so much worse (my sister works as a physiotherapist specializing in people with brain injuries, it's sad how some people do day to day things and have terrible, horrifying outcomes), glad he's mostly ok! Though, not being able to use chopsticks must be killing him
Per a picture posted by Julie last night on Facebook, the chopstick skills are unaffected, so all is right with the world. :donald:

Was a little disappointed by the discussion about the site selling the ADRs. Was hoping for a little more outrage, honestly. :p If for no other reason than for people thinking that site was affiliated with the DIS because of their name. They did stress they several times they are not affiliated in any way, but rather calmly.

Was a little disappointed by the discussion about the site selling the ADRs. Was hoping for a little more outrage, honestly. :p If for no other reason than for people thinking that site was affiliated with the DIS because of their name. They did stress they several times they are not affiliated in any way, but rather calmly.

We weren't outraged enough?

AGGHHHH!!! (SHAKING FIST AT SKY)

Better?

I still don't get why people were thinking that company was any way affiliated with the DIS?
Don't you think those of us who frequent this board at least, would have known if the dis had this branch? Surely we are all familiar with Dreams, the DIS and the podcast and even Kevin and John's Dreams Villas that we couldn't have missed if they were selling dining reservations and MDE accounts??

We weren't outraged enough?

AGGHHHH!!! (SHAKING FIST AT SKY)

Better?

Kidding aside, "outrage" may not have been the best choice of words, as it came across a lot stronger than intended. That said, I admit I am the type of person who is greatly bothered by things like this (whether it's this website selling ADRs, or other guests booking and hoarding multiple ADRs a day, or the people who book the "throwaway" camp sites for on-site FP+ privileges, etc.). And overall, from the balance of the reactions I see to these things on the boards, I'm far from alone in that. While I also acknowledge that it is incumbent upon Disney to close their loopholes with a little more expediency...I don't believe that justifies the actions of those exploiting the loopholes, though.

Back to the discussion of the ADR issue specifically...it does lead me into somewhat of a criticism of the show. A few months back, when Dustin started the feedback/suggestions thread, a common theme that came up from several posters was the lack of the perspective of the 'once-a-year' or 'every-other-year' guest. As locals, it's simply impossible for any of you to see things through that lens. That in and of itself is not a knock/criticism on any of the individuals on the show. After all, that's just not your reality. The knock/criticism is for not finding some other way to incorporate that perspective into the discussions, and it was highlighted by this discussion yesterday. So, I think the disconnect came from the fact that while ADRs in general, and everything that goes along with them, are probably just not that big of a deal for those of you on the show (I wouldn't be surprised if you all sit around, shake your heads, and wonder why it's such a big deal to people). But for a great majority of the 'once-a-year' or 'every-other-year' guest...it will always be a real hot-button topic that they take very seriously.

Last edited:
I still don't get why people were thinking that company was any way affiliated with the DIS?
Don't you think those of us who frequent this board at least, would have known if the dis had this branch? Surely we are all familiar with Dreams, the DIS and the podcast and even Kevin and John's Dreams Villas that we couldn't have missed if they were selling dining reservations and MDE accounts??

Has to be because of their name "DIS Dining Agent"

Kidding aside, "outrage" may not have been the best choice of words, as it came across a lot stronger than intended. That said, I admit I am the type of person who is greatly bothered by things like this (whether it's this website selling ADRs, or other guests booking and hoarding multiple ADRs a day, or the people who book the "throwaway" camp sites for on-site FP+ privileges, etc.). And overall, from the balance of the reactions I see to these things on the boards, I'm far from alone in that. While I also acknowledge that it is incumbent upon Disney to close their loopholes with a little more expediency...I don't believe that justifies the actions of those exploiting the loopholes, though.

Back to the discussion of the ADR issue specifically...it does lead me into somewhat of a criticism of the show. A few months back, when Dustin started the feedback/suggestions thread, a common theme that came up from several posters was the lack of the perspective of the 'once-a-year' or 'every-other-year' guest. As locals, it's simply impossible for any of you to see things through that lens. That in and of itself is not a knock/criticism on any of the individuals on the show. After all, that's just not your reality. The knock/criticism is for not finding some other way to incorporate that perspective into the discussions, and it was highlighted by this discussion yesterday. So, I think the disconnect came from the fact that while ADRs in general, and everything that goes along with them, are probably just not that big of a deal for those of you on the show (I wouldn't be surprised if you all sit around, shake your heads, and wonder why it's such a big deal to people). But for a great majority of the 'once-a-year' or 'every-other-year' guest...it will always be a real hot-button topic that they take very seriously.

Yes, I am a local but I am also a Dreams travel agent. I understand the difficulty of securing ADR's on a daily basis for many of my clients. I am frustrated on a daily basis when I can't get my clients the dining reservations they would like for their WDW vacation.

I apologize that I am not speaking from the perspective you wish to hear.

It seems that you have that perspective and you are upset that no one on the show shared it.

You are welcome to feel / think / voice anything you want.

I can't speak for anyone other than myself. I voice my opinions and my opinions come from my experience.

I think the point you seem to be missing is the one that Kathy pointed out just above. The majority of the folks on the show work in the travel industry. Our jobs revolve around making sure guests have the best experience possible. Happy guests are return customers.

This effects us as much as it does you...maybe more. I'm guessing your livelihood does not revolve around whether you get a Cinderella's Royal Table reservation on a specific date. Ours often does.

Also...those at the table have far more experience working with Disney than most. We deal with Reservations, Disney Dining, Magical express etc on a daily....make that hourly basis.

This "business venture" has the possibility of taking money out of our pocket.

Just because we didn't thump our chest and rant and rave doesn't mean that we approve in any way. As I pointed out...this is not the first time this type of situation has occurred.

Disney is very good at self correction. This too will be corrected.

Just because we didn't react the way you think we should doesn't mean that this isn't a big deal.

I find it a bit condescending that you wouldn't be surprised if "we all sit around, shake our heads, and wonder why it's such a big deal to people."

If we didn't think Disney was a big deal.....do you think we'd put this much work into putting out several shows a week?

Just want to chime in here, I thought that there was JUST the right amount of outrage about the ADR debacle. I go once every 2-3 years (UK native) and totally share peoples frustration that these services exist, but as long as people are willing to pay, somebody will be willing to charge sadly. Loved Tuesdays show, apart from the lack of Ryno but life isn't perfect :p

Has to be because of their name "DIS Dining Agent"
I get that, and for the wider DIS community, perhaps that was their mentality, but for those of us here on this board, we are more versed in the wider DIS picture.
For example, a few months back, at the 24 hour event, someone posted a picture of pete and Dustin walking by on the disboards on facebook group exclaiming their thrill of seeing them. Few of us shared that excitement with them and so many people were lost and actually quite aggressive about us in the know thinking it was funny that people using Pete's resources essentially (Corey is admin) didn't know who he was.
I know that many won't, but it was still slightly comical to me.
For those that DID know, Id expect them to be in the camp on being posters on this board and would know it wasn't affiliated, and when I mentioned it earlier in this tread, I got replies and even PM's telling me that it's not the DIS but there was a tone of concern that maybe it could be.
Anyway, I just don't get it but maybe Its me...

I find it a bit condescending that you wouldn't be surprised if "we all sit around, shake our heads, and wonder why it's such a big deal to people."

If it came across that way, I apologize. That definitely was not the intention. That was as much a criticism of myself and so many other people on the boards for obsessing over things that certainly fall into the category of "first-world problems" as anything else.

for obsessing over things that certainly fall into the category of "first-world problems" as anything else.
(OT) I have to admit, I hate the term "first world problems"
yes, there are people with bigger problems than ADR's and getting their hands on an iPhone 6s+ on launch day (I've already made about 8 phone calls) but that IS the world we live in... a first world one. So for someone living in a first world, you're entitled to a first world problem. If you were starving or unable to have a roof over your head, you wouldn't be worried about the above.
Our friend's have a 1 year old, and his whole life he's been a dream! sleeps through the night, hardly cries, perfect baby. But when he has had bad days/nights, they feel guilty for complaining because "other people have it worse than us" well... no! its your reality... a baby who hardly cries but then has a day where he doesn't stop is hard for you, and that's valid.
People need to stop discounting their worth or their lives/reality.

Rant over. :)

(OT) I have to admit, I hate the term "first world problems"
yes, there are people with bigger problems than ADR's and getting their hands on an iPhone 6s+ on launch day (I've already made about 8 phone calls) but that IS the world we live in... a first world one. So for someone living in a first world, you're entitled to a first world problem. If you were starving or unable to have a roof over your head, you wouldn't be worried about the above.
Our friend's have a 1 year old, and his whole life he's been a dream! sleeps through the night, hardly cries, perfect baby. But when he has had bad days/nights, they feel guilty for complaining because "other people have it worse than us" well... no! its your reality... a baby who hardly cries but then has a day where he doesn't stop is hard for you, and that's valid.
People need to stop discounting their worth or their lives/reality.

Rant over. :)
Your reply spoke to me today! Even though it isn't about Disney, you just by being a DIS'er helped another! I have struggled trying not to dwell in a pity party for one and forgot to go ahead and feel what I'm feeling! Cathartic. Now back to the program

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter