No More Wishes?

Reberella

Mouseketeer
I heard a rumor that Wishes is closing and being replaced by a new fireworks show with more effects, lights, etc.? I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites :sad1:

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Anyone know if it's true??

I heard a rumor that Wishes is closing and being replaced by a new fireworks show with more effects, lights, etc.? I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites :sad1:

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Anyone know if it's true??

Are you maybe thinking about the Magic Memories and You show that runs before Wishes?

We can hope. Wishes is old and needs replacing with something better. If you've seen the new show in Paris you wouldn't hold Wishes quite so highly in regard.

Nothing confirmed or even hinted at by Disney....

that being said, there is speculation that something may be coming within the next few years. Wishes has had a long and successful run and people have speculated that maybe after the opening of the new FLE that Disney may look to update the evening firework show at the MK. Maybe even to something that incorporates some of the Magic, Memories, and You effects into the fireworks presentation.

There are people saying the Dreams show from Paris was supposed to come here, but Phil Holmes initially put the axe on it. Now, however, they are looking at it again. If that is true, I hope they use elements of it and still continue to use large amounts of huge pyro in the show.

Disney used to change things often which prevented the idea of nostalgia around favorite shows. The issue I have with change is not that change is happening, but that I do not trust them to make the new show better than the last. MM&Y show proves what they can do when they want to push technological barriers, but that doesn't always give me confident when they start talking about changing shows that are already good. It's not just about new, it's about being better.

. . . I don't want Wishes to end! It's one of my favorites . . .

1) Wishes is old.
2) People want new things.
3) It is about time to bring in something new.
4) Besides, with FLE, a new show would be righteous.

Oh, I wish it were true! After enjoying Believe, and then Remember, at DLR, Wishes seems a bit ... lackluster. We didn't even watch it last time we were there.

I love wishes, but I have seen it 3 times now and I am looking forward to a change!

Being Disney you know that whatever they do replace it with will be just as spectacular and brilliant!

I agree with most here. We head to the Disney World at least once a year and it would be nice to see a new show. I'm sure Disney won't replace it with a worse show.

I love wishes, but I have seen it 3 times now and I am looking forward to a change!

Being Disney you know that whatever they do replace it with will be just as spectacular and brilliant!

While at one time that wouldn't have been debated, i don't think that's still the case.

Both Stitch's Great Escape and the whole Imagination Pavilion Fiasco really hurt Disney's rep of always replacing an attraction with something spectacular.

While at one time that wouldn't have been debated, i don't think that's still the case.

Both Stitch's Great Escape and the whole Imagination Pavilion Fiasco really hurt Disney's rep of always replacing an attraction with something spectacular.

When i read this thread I thought the same thing! In recent years, i have to say i think the changes i have seen made were much more disappointing than brilliant!

I love wishes and have seen it probably 30 times! I hope this is just a rumor!:sad2:

I love Wishes as well. Every time I watch the show it moves me to tears. I do understand that during times of recession I am sure that Disney needs to maintain profitability. It would seem that lights would be less expensive than large scale fireworks. In keeping with Disney flair and style, the lights do reflect current technology that the MK is lacking in most of the original rides.

I want Disney to go back to the way they used to be and change up parades and fireworks shows more often. I have not watched a 3pm parade at MK in like 3 years cause it is the same old same old just reorganized. I want what I used to get. Don't even get me started about the Jammin (Junkie) Jungle Parade. Holy old and worn out !

I hate to be the wet blanket....

buy fantasy in the sky was better in my opinion and to be honest they should have stuck with that...

and sorcery was better than fantasmic too...but we know that neither are coming back.

But back to the topic: i would think some design/ redesign of illuminations would be higher up on the cue than the MK fireworks....

And since they dumped all that money into fantasyland, why would they want to redo the fireworks anyway? It's overkill...people aren't going to stand in line to dump money on merchandise TWICE to justify all these new great things...

my take

There were (allegedly) plans. As most plans with Disney, they get cut, and chopped, and most of the time never come to fruition. There were (allegedly) plans at one time to unveil a new show this fall that would coincide with the opening of the FLE. As time has gone on, each time I heard an update on it, it was "oh, this effect was cut" or "they wanted to do this cool thing, but they're not going to do it now." Last I heard, Wishes will be staying for a while longer.

And even Wishes is a very sad shadow of the once great show that it was. So much has been cut since the show since it debuted in 2003. It's still my favorite fireworks show though.

Wishes is good, but the Nightastic show (which I believe was a souped-up version of the Pirates/Princess party special fireworks show) in summer of 2010 was ridiculously fantastic. There were some elements to that show (like the exploding castle, and the sheer number of peripheral fireworks around MK) which were literally jaw-dropping, something I never really felt with Wishes. I think I saw that show four times over the week I was there and I couldn't get enough of it. As other posters have said, Wishes is great, but they've put on so many better fireworks shows recently that I think it's time for a new one. I saw "Magical" in DLR recently and I liked that one quite a bit better than Wishes also, although I only saw it once, so I'm not sure if it was just the new-ness of it. Certainly they could create a new show that takes advantage of the Magic, Memories, and You projection technology. Even if they just overlay it with the current Wishes show it would be a great improvement, although I'd hope for something that's completely new.

And speaking of new nighttime shows, what about Illuminations? Reflections of Earth is ancient compared to Wishes ('03); it opened way back in '99 and hasn't really been changed since except for some minor enhancements on the globe projection. Time for an update there, too, methinks. I feel like it's aged better than Wishes has, but it's still definitely showing signs of age (especially the projections on the globe and the dancing fountains which seem downright silly compared to something newer like World of Color). I feel like they could make a new Illuminations-type show integrating World of Color technology and create something truly awesome.

It is just a matter of time until Wishes is replaced and when it does happen it will be better, With new technology comes the ability to improve on things. Maybe we will have LED fireworks in a few years. LOL! Both Wishes and Illuminations are awesome shows and I never tire from them. I expect the new Fantasyland Expansion will serve as the best new excitement for the next couple of years. But one thing is for certain and that is change is coming.

I don't think an entire replacement is needed, maybe just a retooling. Redo the storyline add in some refrences from some of the newer movies like Up, Tangled (can you imagine some long floating white fireworks that look like lanterns) add effects from the castle projections, they could even keep the Wishes song as its base.

When I was there in august of 2010 I want to say that wishes was replaced for a few months but another show....It was a good show and it was nice to see something new but the next year we went back wishes was back and it was a nice thing to see. I am 50/50 about it...as much as I like wishes I am ready for a change!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter