No more DVR :( too expensive

Why not just keep it? It really isn't that much and if it makes your hubby happy why ditch it? As far as watching those shows online, they have clips but not the whole shows.

We dropped our cable, and dvr, a couple of years ago. We used our wii for a year with Netflix, and this year we finally got Apple TV. Love it! We mostly buy digital films from iTunes these days, as we use the iPad in the car, so now he can watch all of those. There is one show that my husband didn't want to wait to come on Netflix, Doctor Who, so we buy that from iTunes and get it right after it airs.

We're to the point that if we miss a show, no big deal.

Why not just keep it? It really isn't that much and if it makes your hubby happy why ditch it? As far as watching those shows online, they have clips but not the whole shows.

B/C we take turns being cheap:rotfl: I guess if it's not a big deal to him I shouldn't worry..... I can always cancel if something happens,like a job loss,etc. Right now ds is watching "Tanked' as I type.....he really really loves him some AP! I guess I was wrong,thinking that we didn't use the cable channels much.I don't,but THEY do.....:thumbsup2 It's nice to know there are some great alternatives though,in case we decide to go for it!

If you have a computer or an apple tv 1 or 2 or iPad with tv out cables I highly recommend installing xbmc. I didn't think I would use it at first but with all the add ons you can get sports of almost every kind if your into that. W are movie lovers and I love that I can get all my old classic tv shows I grew up watching and no one shows anymore but I can also watch anything new that is out usually within an hour or so after its aired.

It's a free program and well worth the 10-15 minutes it takes to get set up the first time. I love it and the best part is no cable or satellite bill every month. No cable or satellite going out when the weather gets bad. Only thing I don't get is local weather but I can see that on the Internet and I am going to put up an outdoor antenna just to get locals since we are in tornado alley.

I will say that you need good Internet to use the xbmc. Because slow Internet does not stream videos well.
That is my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Sounds really great! Are there parental controls?

Yes you can controll most things. There is very little if my adult stuff unless you add the adult plug in that some do. But there are rated R movies and such.

Its wonderful ther is almost nothing you can't see. I have not got around to it but there are live channels too. Retro tv is on there and that channel is not available here so cool to have it. There are even channels that stream 1 tv series 24 7. There is a big bang theory channel and two and a half men channel.
For us it's been about seeing cartoons and tv shows I have not seen in years because they are not on tv or DVD.
My daughter enjoys all the cartoons and I love showing her all the cartoons I grew up with.

Habbott said:
We dropped our cable, and dvr, a couple of years ago. We used our wii for a year with Netflix, and this year we finally got Apple TV. Love it! We mostly buy digital films from iTunes these days, as we use the iPad in the car, so now he can watch all of those. There is one show that my husband didn't want to wait to come on Netflix, Doctor Who, so we buy that from iTunes and get it right after it airs.

We're to the point that if we miss a show, no big deal.

You should really jailbreak your apple tv 2 it will bring so much more to the apple tv 2. And then you don't have to pay iTunes either for movie rental. Just watch a movie whenever you want.

Very curious about the Apple TV. I know absolutely nothing about it!

I just recently learned (DS clued me in :rotfl2:) that with Amazon Prime you can stream a TON of stuff for "free".

So - I downloaded the app to my iPad. Great. But, I want to watch on my TV, which is I guess a "dumb" TV, because it does not have WiFi, or apps, or whatever.

If I purchased an Apple TV, would that mean that whatever I could stream from my Amazon app (free stuff) would be able to be viewed easily from my TV?

Any other options or opinions? We do have a TiVo, but that only let's us purchase from Amazon, not watch the free stuff.

:confused3 Thanks.

Very curious about the Apple TV. I know absolutely nothing about it!

I just recently learned (DS clued me in :rotfl2:) that with Amazon Prime you can stream a TON of stuff for "free".

So - I downloaded the app to my iPad. Great. But, I want to watch on my TV, which is I guess a "dumb" TV, because it does not have WiFi, or apps, or whatever.

If I purchased an Apple TV, would that mean that whatever I could stream from my Amazon app (free stuff) would be able to be viewed easily from my TV?

Any other options or opinions? We do have a TiVo, but that only let's us purchase from Amazon, not watch the free stuff.

:confused3 Thanks.

AMAZON PRIME? NOw i'm totally confused. what is this? what kind of things do you stream into it? oy vey. i read it's about 79 a year... so how do you stream if you ask ds? lol

AMAZON PRIME? NOw i'm totally confused. what is this? what kind of things do you stream into it? oy vey. i read it's about 79 a year... so how do you stream if you ask ds? lol

Now I have probably run this thread off of the rails.......

But, we have Amazon Prime. I purchase it every year for the shipping benefits. LOVE IT. DS uses it to purchase textbooks & he can get them shipped 2nd day directly to school. SO - when he told me that he had placed an order so I would know he spent the $, I mentioned that I had just placed an order for a TV series a few minutes ago. His response, " Mom, you just stream that for FREE from Amazon Instant Video". HUH?????

So I downloaded the Amazon Video app on my iPad & sure enough, there are TONS of TV Seasons, movies, etc. all free for Prime members! I want to watch them on my TV though, not my iPad. Apparently it can be done through a PS3, but he has that at school. We only have a TiVo & out TV does not have "apps" like the newer ones, so I wanted to explore options to watch this stuff easily on my TV.

I don't want to hook up my laptop to the TV every time or anything like that. I want it to be easy :)

Now I have probably run this thread off of the rails.......

But, we have Amazon Prime. I purchase it every year for the shipping benefits. LOVE IT. DS uses it to purchase textbooks & he can get them shipped 2nd day directly to school. SO - when he told me that he had placed an order so I would know he spent the $, I mentioned that I had just placed an order for a TV series a few minutes ago. His response, " Mom, you just stream that for FREE from Amazon Instant Video". HUH?????

So I downloaded the Amazon Video app on my iPad & sure enough, there are TONS of TV Seasons, movies, etc. all free for Prime members! I want to watch them on my TV though, not my iPad. Apparently it can be done through a PS3, but he has that at school. We only have a TiVo & out TV does not have "apps" like the newer ones, so I wanted to explore options to watch this stuff easily on my TV.

I don't want to hook up my laptop to the TV every time or anything like that. I want it to be easy :)

me too. Totally agree. I'm reading re this Kn amazon but many I want movies. Not tv. Good post.. Don't stop

Yes you can controll most things. There is very little if my adult stuff unless you add the adult plug in that some do. But there are rated R movies and such.

Its wonderful ther is almost nothing you can't see. I have not got around to it but there are live channels too. Retro tv is on there and that channel is not available here so cool to have it. There are even channels that stream 1 tv series 24 7. There is a big bang theory channel and two and a half men channel.
For us it's been about seeing cartoons and tv shows I have not seen in years because they are not on tv or DVD.
My daughter enjoys all the cartoons and I love showing her all the cartoons I grew up with.

Wow! That sounds awesome! I love old TV shows. I can't wait until we can cancel our DirecTV contract in December. I'm going to buy an Apple TV and I will definitely download XBMC and resubscribe to HuluPlus. I don't care anything about sports. Right now the only one who really watches TV is DS9. He loves Spongebob, Teen Titans, and Scooby. I'm hoping he'll still be able to watch those things, but if not, we'll buy him some on DVD.

me too. Totally agree. I'm reading re this Kn amazon but many I want movies. Not tv. Good post.. Don't stop

:) TONS of movies on there, just probably not new releases. MI 3, Man on a Wire, etc. Stuff I have not watched & I would even if they are not brand new.

Does Apple TV come with the airplay & is there any monthly fee? I know they are probably stupid questions, but DH has been on hold with Apple forever! :rotfl:

And I really would love to know if one were to hypothetically jailbreak their Apple TV, what would you get? Hypothetically, of course :rotfl2:

:) TONS of movies on there, just probably not new releases. MI 3, Man on a Wire, etc. Stuff I have not watched & I would even if they are not brand new.

Does Apple TV come with the airplay & is there any monthly fee? I know they are probably stupid questions, but DH has been on hold with Apple forever! :rotfl:

And I really would love to know if one were to hypothetically jailbreak their Apple TV, what would you get? Hypothetically, of course :rotfl2:

ok, i'm narrowing it down to apple tv or amazon . ADVISE if you can. cheaper? non techie here. what is easier? just want movies. doesn't have to be new, just not 1953.

ok, i'm narrowing it down to apple tv or amazon . ADVISE if you can. cheaper? non techie here. what is easier? just want movies. doesn't have to be new, just not 1953.

Hope you are not asking me :rotfl2: I am more confused than anybody. :confused3

LOL at the 1953 or whatever movie comment. :thumbsup2

Jail broken appletv is best. You can always try a freee 30 day membership to amazon prime see if you like it.

Apple tv once jail broken which is easy to do is well worth it because of the shear number of movies, tv shows and even live tv you can get. If you go that route pm me I have step by step videos on doing the jailbreak, and installing xbmc.

Jail broken appletv is best.

I was checking out the link re:jail breaking Apple TV. It said that with the new ones, you can't do it yet :worried: and therefore, the cost to buy an older used one has skyrocket. You can "mirror" your iPad though with the new Apple TV, which makes some stuff more accessible but....

As far as even doing what I want to do, which is watching the Amazon Videos from my iPad on my TV (I have Prime either way, I buy it for other reasons) that it is not compatible with AirPlay! :badpc:

Grrrrr......

:happytv:

I use a Roku for what little I stream and it works great with Amazon Prime. Easy to set-up as well :thumbsup2.

Roku is ok but very limited in what it can do.
Yea new apple tv 3 can't be jail broken yet. Still working on it. You can install the program on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, pc, Mac. Then just airvideo from iPad to new apple tv or get cables to hook from iPad into tv.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter