No More Animation Academy...what?

I've got a feeling the drawing portion of the academy will open in another location in time.

This.

At the "Magic of Disney Animation" building had basically 6 features:
1. Real offices of Disney animators (not a big loss)
2. Interactive games (not a big loss)
3. A walkthrough art exhibit (never occupied not a big loss)
4. The Mushu instructional video (cute but a small loss)
5. Character meets (easily movable and not tied to the building)
6. The Animation Academy (easily the biggest and most notable feature of the building)

You gotta think that Imagineers figured there was no reason to keep the whole building open for one popular feature/attraction. They will probably re-open the Academy down the road.

This.

At the "Magic of Disney Animation" building had basically 6 features:
1. Real offices of Disney animators (not a big loss)
2. Interactive games (not a big loss)
3. A walkthrough art exhibit (never occupied not a big loss)
4. The Mushu instructional video (cute but a small loss)
5. Character meets (easily movable and not tied to the building)
6. The Animation Academy (easily the biggest and most notable feature of the building)

You gotta think that Imagineers figured there was no reason to keep the whole building open for one popular feature/attraction. They will probably re-open the Academy down the road.

If that was the case, why not say it. We are closing the Animation Academy to better utilize this space sometime in 2021 for some announced attractions. But never fear we will be moving the Academy to its new home in __________________.

This is most likely not the case. They are probably getting rid of it because the talent costs too much. Just like putting in the Robert Osborne recording on the movie ride. In the Animation Academy, we lost another display of talent to be replaced by something...someday...maybe. Plus I don't think the Mushu activity was a small loss. In a park desperate for attractions, these two attractions provided a nice diversion.

You are giving them the benefit of the doubt, and their track record is not so good right now...
EPCOT-Wonders_of_Life.jpg

Last edited:
This is sad. I was looking forward to my kids being old enough to do this.

It was full every time I went in there. This was a highlight of the park for me and my family. Your kids would have loved it. Take them to DLR.

We are sad about the Animation Academy closing as well... That was a favorite of my entire family!!! But now this is just added motivation to plan a drip to DL so that we can visit the AA location in California. Hope springs eternal! :)

I am so tired of the cuts. Especially given that the new attractions are taking so terribly long to open! Cuts and construction is the norm right now. Maybe one day we will get Disney back. I'm excited but also a little sad that for the first time we will be visiting Universal and IoA on our next trip and are considering a beach day. 3-4 days not at Disney.

Someone had mentioned that classes are available to AoA. Is it similar to what was in HS? I was planning on spending some park time to do this but we have an off day that we can head over to AoA if it's worth it.

Hopefully they will announce DHS future plans at D23 on 8/15. Can't wait to hear, I hope I get into the session!

Hopefully they will announce DHS future plans at D23 on 8/15. Can't wait to hear, I hope I get into the session!

Meanwhile Disney Animal Kingdom Pandora has been delayed further. 2018 opening? My son was a freshman in high school when that was announced at d23 and he will graduate college before it opens. Parts of 8 years. At least there, they simply moved the meet and greets and built a new Theater for the Lion King Show without closing anything.

We have already lost the Backlot Studio area without any announced plans and not much if any construction with no replacement. The entire Animation building closed now. And rumors have One Man's Dream and Little Mermaid next. With hints of new attractions by 2021. Not good.

I am so tired of the cuts. Especially given that the new attractions are taking so terribly long to open! Cuts and construction is the norm right now. Maybe one day we will get Disney back. I'm excited but also a little sad that for the first time we will be visiting Universal and IoA on our next trip and are considering a beach day. 3-4 days not at Disney.

What in the world will that park have to offer when the Frozen stuff goes away after Sept 7? Those wonderful Frozen fireworks have kept that place viable all summer.

What a mess. Epcot and The Studios are in desperate need of attractions.

Basically MK is the only "full" park not suffering from refurbishment. Epcot has a big hole in the middle of their park to fill with empty Innovations buildings, as well as weak Captain EO and Imagination attractions. AK is still ride deprived and pushing Avatar back. And of course half of HS is closed/closing.

It makes sense why Phil Holmes is being groomed for bigger and better things.

What in the world will that park have to offer when the Frozen stuff goes away after Sept 7? Those wonderful Frozen fireworks have kept that place viable all summer.

What a mess. Epcot and The Studios are in desperate need of attractions.

Crazy! Let me clarify. We are going to Disney but cut it down to 3 days and then doing other things. The sheer amount of construction and cuts played a large part in our decision making along with the increased prices and reduced discounts. I will pay but I also need value. We are not saving money by going to other parks (u/IoA) or the beach but we are gaining value for our money. It makes me really sad though that this is how it is.

We don't go to The Studios anymore, too many closures without replacements. We'd much rather go to Universal than the Studios these days. We actually didn't do Animation Academy but did the Mushu show several times and enjoyed the Interactive games and art exhibit. Combine that with the loss of Captain Jack Sparrow (only 2 years of existing?), Backlot Tour (still essential even with cutbacks), Sounds Dangerous (was entertaining), and there's a lot of net loss of attractions in the park. American Idol (which we didn't care for) was replaced by Frozen but that's not enough to get us to go back to the park

Either way, I think closing attractions when new attractions haven't been built (or even ANNOUNCED) is a bad faith move on Disney's part for those that invest in vacations month (or years) in advance. For those that buy APs. For those that invest in DVC. It is bad practice.

....Now where is that AP survey again?

I completely agree with you. Interesting you mention AP. we have yet to bother with ours and the foregoing comments are part of the decision.

I always did animation academy. I got a tigger that the instructor had drawn and signed for answering a trivia question. I framed it. Seems that the new Disney management is all about cuts, many without a replacement. Sad!

I have a feeling it will come back as well. It was very popular. They will probably increase capacity while they are at it. A lot of announcements are supposed to be made at D23 in a couple of weeks, so we'll hopefully hear something.

We leave for WDW in 11 days. We loved the animation class last trip and were looking forward to it this trip. :( I hope it does reopen in the future however this will be our last trip for a few years at least. Time to explore some other locations until some of this reimagining is done.

I have a feeling it will come back as well. It was very popular. They will probably increase capacity while they are at it. A lot of announcements are supposed to be made at D23 in a couple of weeks, so we'll hopefully hear something.

So you think they are closing this to unveil a bigger and better version at D23? Interesting. Hope your right. History is not on your side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter