1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

No homemade perishable foods, or no homemade foods?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by jtkboston, Apr 6, 2013.

1. jtkboston

jtkboston hooked on cruising

The DCL FAQ on prohibited items says:
    Does this mean no homemade foods, or no homemade perishable foods? (The placement of "other" makes their statement ambiguous.)

For example, would homemade candy be permitted?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TheWalsh

TheWalsh Earning My Ears

The other means if it can go bad, don't bring it. In regards to your question no, nothing homemade

4. PWammy

PWammy Mouseketeer

I think it would depend on how it was packaged. That's kind of the case on all cruises, so you might want to call them.

5. jlwhitney

jlwhitney DIS Veteran

Given the fact they say anything opened is enough to say no homemade food, since not likely homemade food is factory sealed.

6. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

It's horrible wording, isn't it?

Are you thinking of homemade candied ginger? I certainly was, but ran out of time to make it. Given what I feel is huge ambiguity in the statement I would have brought it on and not expected problems.

We brought cashews that we had "decanted" into pre-weighed baggies (for blood sugar, anti-crankiness, and weight-control purposes) on and as far as we know no one even noticed them.

7. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

This isn't Disney's rule, its U.S. Customs.

I think the issue is, it easier for customs to confirm what is in a commercially produced product than a home made one.

8. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

It means "no homemade foods, no pre-cooked foods, no perishable foods" may be brought onboard. Only pre-packaged commercially prepared foods in factory sealed containers.

9. Disneyholic

Disneyholic Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow

You could always bring the sealed container onboard along with plastic zipbags and decant them onboard.:thumbsup2 That way you wouldn't have to worry about them being found & disposed of before you board.

10. SuperDry

SuperDry DIS Veteran

I don't see why Customs would care what you brought onto the cruise. They are very concerned about what you take off the cruise.

11. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

It's simple really. Customs doesn't want to have to deal with folks who have leftover homemade food at the end of the cruise. They have no way of knowing it originated with you here in the U.S. So by prohibiting it at the start of the cruise, it can't be an issue at the end.

12. juliebug1997

juliebug1997 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

You used to not be able to carry fruit across state lines, in fact, some states still might not let you. My dad had to throw out a couple of apples from his camper many years ago while going from one state to the next. I *think* California into Arizona, but I'm not 100% sure.

13. PWammy

PWammy Mouseketeer

I'm guessing it's a safety issue, not sure what it is, where it came from, not labeled . . .