No Disney Trip this year

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by David 1980, Jan 19, 2008.

1. David 1980

David 1980 Disney Dad of 5

:mad: :mad: How many of you have changed your mind about doing DW this year? I had the plan in the works for a June vacation but with prices for everything going through the roof I have backed off. I am just wondering if I am the only one who feels this way?:mad:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mickeyfan2

mickeyfan2 DIS Veteran

We canceled out October 2007 trip. This year we are still planning on going for our 25th Anniversary. We may scale it back, if the need arises.

4. hrslvr142

hrslvr142 Mouseketeer

We won't be going this year either. Planned on it for Dec but son is deploying sooner then expected and can't come home so will be making the trip from Indiana to Ca to see him before he leaves. Also dh who usually works for H&R Block is very ill and can't work so the money that was going to pay down debt is not there either. Fortunately Disney will always be there and we will hit it sometime.

5. RayJay

RayJay DIS Veteran

Not alone Dave, even though I feel we can afford, we are skipping this year, money is going into savings or college fund.

RayJay

6. If U Had Wings

If U Had Wings DIS Veteran

Right now I'm still going ahead with my plans, but may need to change that if I get a new job this year.

I'm really hoping to go this year, as my mom and I are planning on taking a trip to Italy in 2010, so after this year I'll be saving up for that.

7. Julia M

Julia M DIS Veteran<br><font color =red>not clever, not wi

Our trip is still on, but we have a few special things about our trip.

Dd and I have to fly to Daytona for a nationals. So we are already in FL (we're from CA). So dh and the 2 boys are what we need to account for airfare for.

I have old passes, so we won't need to buy those.

I exchanged our timeshare and we have 2 weeks: one at Cypress Point Grandvillas and one at Hilton Grand Vacation Club. We plan to take time to enjoy the resort, go to Disney water pakrs (we have TONS of old plusses) and spend a day or two at the beach.

I got a Disney VISA in 2003 and have never used the reward points. I currently have over $1100 (a year ago, I switched to Marriott VISA). SO we'll use that for meals in the parks, and maybe a few special meals at hotels (I love Boma!)

SO, I expect our expenses to be the 3 airfares, a car rental and some groceries for the unit, plus whatever places we do off site.

I had orginally planned to spend one week in a timeshare, and 4 nights at the Beach Club, concierge level, but decided it was way too pricey. I doubt I will ever stay onsite again.

Julia

8. Tine731

Tine731 DIS Veteran

We are going in 5 days but this will be our last trip until spring of 2010. We are not on a tight budget but we did scale our table service meals back a little. We also have a few 1 day tickets that we are going to upgrade. Just like one of the above posters we could afford to go a few times in the next 2 years but feel we need to put more money into our retirement funds.

9. Del

Del DIS Veteran

We were thinking of going this April or November. We just can't swing it now. So no it's not just you. It's us too.

Del:)

10. GC&S

GC&S DIS Veteran

We are optimistically planning for fall of 08 but since we are getting ready to file a lawsuit against DH's ex-business partner (who owes us around $200,000) this may not be feasible. So unless we get our money, or DH's business increases, or I get more hours at work it probably is not possible to go.

11. EthansMom

EthansMom <font color=red>spare yourself from asking me to d

We've been going on two vacations per year for the last few years and had tentatively planned to go to WDW for Free Dining this year. But, with inflation and the economy the way they are now, DH and I have decided to put a WDW trip "on hold".

If they come out with Free Dining, I might still book it on the off-chance that things get better. But wouldn't tell the kids, since there's a strong chance that I would end up cancelling.

(While we're doing okay financially, "extra" money (OT, bonus, promotion) from DH's job has decreased dramatically over last year while prices for groceries, gasoline, oil, and other consumables (clothing, etc..) have dramatically increased.)

12. mom2my3kids

mom2my3kids Doesn't believe in the Tag Fairy

We are going this year, but we will be on a tight budget, we didn't think we were going to be able to go.

13. kinntj

kinntj DIS Veteran

We're still going this year (our first family trip), but we scaled it back. We were planning on doing WL this trip and decided to go moderate (POFQ). The cost of the package with moderate and airplane was the total of just the Disney package with WL and NO airfare. That was a no brainer and we just took the less resort and included airfare to help with costs.

Who knows when we'll be able to go back.

14. neatokimmo

neatokimmo DIS Veteran

We were going in Sept but now I'm redirecting the money to a savings account. I am trying to really up my accounts this year. And since she is only 11 months, she won't miss it yet (mommy will tho!)

15. xominnieox2

xominnieox2 Mouseketeer

We're not going until '09... We have to pay off some of our credit cards and that sort of thing.

16. disneyfav4ever

disneyfav4ever No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep

I'm exactly the opposite! I was planning on no trip this year up until a few months ago, but then I was able to get the deluxe plan for $32 a night, so I decided to book a trip!

But I agree, the costs are getting too high, so 2009 might be a no trip year for me.

17. SetzKitten

SetzKitten <font color=red>I was Harley Chick in another life

We have no plans to go this year. It will be the first time in many, many years that we have not gone. We need to buy a new fence instead. I don't think we can get one more year out of the one we have. :sad2:

18. toesmom

toesmom DIS Veteran

we bought 60 pt BWV DVC contract instead. Figured it will cost us $6000 to go on holiday for 1 week in August (that includes $1200 for flights out of Toronto, $1200 for hotel costs, $150 for car rental, and the rest in money we lose by not working for the week - already have the APs).

So instead bought the contract and will pay it off by not going on holiday in August.

With those points, we will have a holiday every year from now on, so I don't mind missing it this year.

19. ksumn1

ksumn1 DIS Veteran

Should get a big tax refund this year, and I'd thought about trying to talk DH into a trip, but we need to use it for other stuff. Owe my MIL $$, and will pay a big chunk of it off, last $100 owed on a CC, pay all car, truck and house insurance up for a year, and put some into savings. DH agreed to put $1000 for a vacation and we're talking about the beach or we may just do a short weekend trip and put that back for a WDW trip next year. Really wish Jiminy Cricket wouldn't keep talking, so I could push for a trip and not feel irresponsible.

20. gypsydoodlebug

gypsydoodlebug <font color=red>Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I h

I keep harping at DH, but he's not budging. I want an April or May trip before DD starts kindergarten. He wants to pay off the CC, which I guess is sound advice. Sigh.

21. happybratpack

happybratpack <font color=green>Just Maryann :)<br><font color=b

I know where you're coming from.

We will be going this year, but will definitely be cutting back. Typically we take the kids for a week, we'll go for a week alone and then a couple long weekends so usually 4 trips per year. We will still do the kids trip and then probably just one short trip for the two of us. We'll go somewhere else with the remainder of our vacation instead of WDW.

I'll tell you, the dining situation where they're increasing the prices for certain times of the year REALLY rubs me wrong.

ETA - In addition to cutting down the number of trips we'll be staying moderate instead of deluxe to cut costs. I don't see us doing days and days of big meals like in the past either.