No Buy ~ January 2013 edition

Discussion in 'The Creative Community' started by BernardandMissBianca, Jan 1, 2013.

1. PrincessNancy96

PrincessNancy96 Scrapbook Mom Moderator

School breaks are always more expensive... I think Kroger laughs at all the parents that are in there daily during breaks!!!

I'm so sick of going to the store for MILK!!!

I did have to fall off the wagon today and buy and extra tote for decorations.. one did NOT make it through the holiday season... :( 8.00 on sale so that isn't bad...

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BernardandMissBianca

BernardandMissBianca <font color=red>I just love a dancing banana!<br>< Moderator

Sorry about the move. I seemed to be talking to myself over on the budget board and a few of us here were talking about financial freedom on this sub forum so I figure this was as good a place as any.

If there seems to be interest, I would be willing to start a second thread in the Budget forum.

I'm glad you found us!!!

4. PrincessNancy96

:woohoo: I got all my errands done... Did not buy a soda or snack while I was out... and I was only off .14 cents on my grocery budget allotment!

I also decided to try the 52 week savings plan... I'll go find the details and post it for you guys... I'm doing it per paycheck so I don't mess it up... but the end result will put me 2/3rds of the way to paying for our Disney tickets for 2014...

ETA:

Here is a link to the 52 weeks savings challenge...
    http://www.sistersavealot.com/main-coupons/successfully-save-1378-52-weeks

Nutshell: you save a dollar a week increasing it by a dollar every week...
    So this week is $1
    next week is $2
    and keeps going to week 52 you put in $52...
    by the end of 52 weeks you have saved 1378.

I thought it was pretty cool.. and I figure out how to do it within my budget.... (even with the SS increase on payroll)...
    My goal is to tuck at least 10 extra a month from my no buy days...

So, this check I put in 10.00 (I owed 3.00 per the challenge but rewarded myself 7.00 for staying within my budget on groceries).

5. Deffenm

Deffenm DIS Veteran

We have a place called Half Price Books that buys used media material (books, cd's, dvds, ect.)

1/4 - $0 - a friend asked me to go to lunch but the place they were going to is not a favorite of mine so I declined but said we would reschedule next week and suggested a place that I have a gift card for. So I can go out to lunch and not impact my budget. :cool1:

6. Deffenm

Deffenm DIS Veteran

No need to start a second thread. I am just glad you started one!:thumbsup2 Having some place to be "accountable" and learn from others is a big help to me.

7. princess stich

princess stich DIS Veteran

Thanks! We have Half Price Books as well. I haven't been there in years. Guess a trip is in my future!

8. princess stich

Didn't do too bad at the grocery stores...

week 1:
    1/1-0
    1/2- $40 allowance, $28.50 Roller cave, $6.48 Starbucks, $ 45.46 Steak N Shake
    1/3- $10 Incrediplex
    1/4- $73.51 Trader Joes, $54.72 Kroger, made $4 on a pair of DD's old shoes and $7 on caddy
    1/5

Made: $11/ $50 goal

9. JohnsonsLoveDisney

JohnsonsLoveDisney DIS Veteran

Great job Nan. I am headed to stores Blah! Cleaning stuff, food but did print coupons, signed up for ibotta to earn extra on what I need, and have a raincheck. Never ending.

Did strike a deal with dds today about ag dolls, we keep going round and round about these. They each have $50 bday cash, gma offered up $30 per girl each for ag as part of Christmas. And ill cover the last as long as they don't ask for fast food till march. So not much of a budget buster.

10. BernardandMissBianca

BernardandMissBianca <font color=red>I just love a dancing banana!<br>< Moderator

I'm gonna do the 52 week challenge too but I'm starting backwards. $52 is easier to save now, not so easy to save at Christmas. Plus I'll get more $$ in interest if I start with the higher number.

11. morgansmom2000

morgansmom2000 DIS Veteran

Oh, I like that idea. My paycheck was $18 less this week. :faint: (I get paid bi-weekly). $36 a month doesn't sound like much...but it adds up pretty fast! Especially when DH's check will probably be double that a week!

12. PrincessNancy96

The Roller Cave.. the one on the east side of Indy??

If so, I remember going there as a kid!!!!

13. PrincessNancy96

I would love to start backward but we get dinged with vehicle registrations this month.... I may do that in 2014 so that I have more spending money at Disney!!!

Yes, we lost $67 a check.... that's 2 tanks of gas..

14. princess stich

That's the one! We met some friends there and the kids skated for a few hours. My son also had his birthday party there last year and my daughter the year before!

15. PrincessNancy96

Small world!!

We used to go there all the time as kids!!! We'd walk up there from the house.. It was a big deal to walk there and on the way home stop by Burger Chef!!!

16. Reddy

Reddy Scrapbooker

hmmmm trying to decide if I should play too
    DH does most of the shopping
    paying Disney trip is the main thing for me

my goals are to only buy what I really need
    hard part is Sister sells avon

17. dsneprincess

dsneprincess DIS Veteran

So far so good this week. Haven't eaten dinner out yet: saving for tomorrow. DS wants Denny's for Hobbit meals & trading cards. Used my 2 lunches out for this week, so need to plan accordingly tomorrow so I don't get stuck between grocery store & Target with 2 hungry kids. Need to get some toy storage boxes while on sale at Target so that need million piece toys remain together & hopefully organized. Between Imaginext Castle & Batman there are hundreds of little pieces, guys & accessories that (hopefully!) will remain together in a clear plastic shoebox instead of me individually trying to match the pieces back up later after I have "helpers" help me put toys away. Sometimes the help is worse than no help. ROTFL

18. JohnsonsLoveDisney

JohnsonsLoveDisney DIS Veteran

1/1 - $0
    1/2 -$29- groceries
    1/3 - $0
    1/4 -$88.89 at Walmart ($26.85 was a bday gift for a party next weekend, $$18.48 was food, rest household including a box for all of DS's new trucks) $78.90 at Safeway ($59.80 was cashed in raincheck for 20lbs hamburger)
    1/5 -
    1/6 -
    1/7 -

I also resisted getting a coffee several times. In "land of coffee" it is really hard.

19. PrincessNancy96

Good job everyone!!! Keep up the good work!!!

20. princess stich

I think I'll do the 52 week savings as well. Thanks for the idea!

21. princess stich

It's been a very productive morning for me so far! I am selling my kids old books. Sold $18 to one person, $25 to another, and then $15 for some baskets.

:cool1: