Nintendo DS HELP!!!

My2BabiesLexis&Dill

DIS Veteran
Both my son and daughter decided they wanted a Nintendo DS for Christmas. But they are 5 and almost 7. Are they too young for these? I hate to spend my money on them and they don't have age approiate games for them. Thanks for any help. Also, if they are approiate for that age, what games do you buy?

My kids got them at 9 and 6. My friend has a 4 year old who has hers with her constantly. I'd go for it.

My daughter got her DS last Christmas, she was just turning 6. She had played on a couple of her friends' DS's for a few months, so although she didn't have one until age 6 she was playing them at 5.

Her favourite games are Barbie, Madagascar, Bratz, Disney Friends, Hamsterz, Deal or No Deal :rotfl: (do you have that TV show in the USA?), Brain Training.

Right now she would like to get the Wall-e, Hannah Montana and/or Build-a-Bear games.

I think they are at a good age for it. My ds10 got a gameboy when he was 5and then upgraded to the DS at 7. Some friends of our just bought one for her ds for his 6th bday and I had no trouble finding him an age appropriate game as a gift. He got Spongebob!

DD9 just got hers this past christmas....she doesn't play it like her brother. But she enjoys it and they have a decent amount of games that are geared for young girls.

Go for it!!!!

Thanks for the fast replies. Now to watch for the best deals on these. I think these will be their big present for Christmas this year. I had pre-ordered my daughter the Hannah Montana doll house but it's higher than the DS and she seems more interested in that than the house. LOL.

Ya go for it! My four year old got one for his birthday. He LOVES it. He plays everything and is better than the rest of us! My son Tristan is 7 and got one for passing the 1st grade. We had no doubts. DH just likes to give the kids things he couldn't get when he was young. I call it spoiling! Ugh.

We have and they all play these... Mario Kart, Transformers, Happy Feet (my personal favorite), Hot Wheels (they like this better than Mario Kart), Sonic, Spiderman...I have all boys.

My niece, she was 6 when she got hers and she is autistic. She loves Princess Peach, Mario Kart, Sonic, Happy Feet...not sure what others she has.

They are very entertaining -so much so I have to limit time on my DD. But they do have cute games,you just have to look at the rating ie:E(for everyone),T(teen) -I could be off, but if you read them they do tell you the appropriate age they are for. Word to the wise-buy the extended warranty-we did and it has been out for repair once already-we got it xmas.;)

My 7yr got one when he was 5 and my 4 yr old got one 2 months ago. They both love to play the nintendo. It makes shopping so much easier. When you go to target give the kids the nintendo put them in a buggy and it is like shopping alone. They don't ask to buy things and they don't whine that they are shopping. My kids are not allowed to play the nintendo at home only if we are in the car or at a store or reasturant.

They are both boys and love to play
lego star wars
super mario
disney friends

Our son got his at age 5. We now have two in the house that get shared amongst ds, dw, and myself. We play games ranging from Brain Age and Deal or No Deal, to Pokemon and Madden. Favorites for ds at the moment include Pokemon Pearl and TMNT.

...and w/ two of them playing they can play against each other on the same game. look at the back to see the amount of players the game allows.

don't ask me how they do it though...all i know is they discuss the download and the next thing i know they are playing it together.:confused3

we just bought my daughter 1 for 5yr old birthdays present, and she plays dora, franklin, and we go brainage 2 for free, and the adults play that..

and now my daughter is playing brainage 2, and likes it, but doesn't have a clue whats shes doing ...

Franklins pretty cool. tetris is good. Im trying to think of what my aunts girls play. Sonic, and some of the older cheap games. I love the fact you can play the older games on the new ones.

is there a difference between the ds and ds lite?

I got mine, then DD asked santa for one when she was 5. Then DH had to have his own. You can never be to young or old for them^^
DS lite is the one you want. The bricks are the old style, the screen is darker and they are heavy. The lite is a much, much better system. Also the lite often comes in special bundles around Thanksgiving.
I'd also recommend getting them Mario Kart, and Mario Party as starter games. Both games have single cart multiplayer so they can play with each other with out having to buy two copies of the game.

DS7 loves Sonic and Animal Crossing (which requires some reading). The Hot Wheels games are cute too.

Is it true you can use your gameboy games in the DS?

I'd like to get them for my DS and DD for either their Birthdays or Christmas, both are in the very near future.

DS has quite a collection of Game Boy Games, and I'd hate to have to start collecting games again.

Wow!!!! I'm really impressed that the DS can be played by younger children. I always thought it was for the older kids. Well, I'm putting those on my list for sure. I've been looking at games and my daughter would love one of the Hannah Montana games and then my son will be getting Monster Jam. He :lovestruc Gravedigger.

Two of my 3 kids have one (the one that doesn't is only 2 1/2).

My 7 yo (May b-day) got hers in mid-July.

And my 4 yo (will be 5 in 2 weeks) got his a week later because my mother felt bad for him! So it was his early b-day present.

My kids have played old school Nintendo on our original Nintendo, SNES & N64 (yes I am old). They each have 3 games but Super Mario Bros does not normally leave the DS. I got my dd Yoshi's Island & Pet Resort & my ds got Scooby Doo which is too hard for him & some game that has Aggrevation, MouseTrap & 2 other 'board games' on it. And they both have Super Mario & compete with one another.

Ok, I have another question. Since I have been looking at them onlline, I have noticed allot of accessories for these. What would be the best accessory(s) to buy? TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter